It takes 3/4 of the States to ratify an Amendment to the Constitution: The Electoral College is safe

Ending the EC is only a step. The end game is to bit by bit overturn the entire constitution. The EC has to go. The 2A has to go. Freedom of speech and religion has to go. Little by little. Which is why Democrats have to go.

Violates one man, one vote

Some votes count more than others
Move to a nation that fits your needs then.

Never heard of a Constitutional amendment?

You, me, maybe a few others here understand The Constitution is a 'living' document that the Founders desired to have flexibility over time.
The conservative shitheads here however HATE The Constitution, they hate the potential for lawful amendments, thus these shitheads HATE The Constitution.

You would never get an Amendment passed dissolving the electoral college.
No way did our FF's want a straight up democracy.....they liked the democratic republic.....and for good reason
that goes way above your pay grade, apparently.

Article V, USC:
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

God Bless our Founding Fathers in their infinite wisdom. Even to this very day they watch over us, protecting us from the modern horrors of big centralized government.

How exactly do Democrats propose to compel the smaller states into submission to ratify an amendment abolishing the electoral college.

Notice I said "compel," because the majority of the States will not surrender the Electoral College willingly. It would take a full scale military invasion of the small States to force through such an amendment.
I wouldn't say its "safe". Isnt it something like 16 states have passed laws to assign all of their electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote? They have basically found a way around the electoral college.

What you are seeing in the news about abolishing the electoral college is simply a "look at this hand over here", while the other hand is circumventing the process.

*edit*

If the wiki page is correct, it appears 13 have already passed legislation, and there are 15 more with legislation pending.

If that all passes, it will be 28 states who will do this. At 13 states, that is 184 electoral votes which is 68% of the 270 needed. If the others pass it as well, that should be pretty close to bypassing the EC altogether.

National Popular Vote Interstate Compact - Wikipedia
/——/ What happens if Trump wins the most popular votes? Then what?
Since Trump cant win with just his base, its moot point.
But, since empty farmland has several times the voting power of a coastal city, and we are a "one dollar. one vote" system, and his massive Russian cyber force, perhaps just his base is all thats needed.

Most voters perfer popular vote. But wont anybody think of that vacant land?
/—-/ Keep changing the rules until the sore losers win.

The Electoral College was ingenious, my only disappointment in it is the bastardization of the process introduced by political parties which I see as a threat. A political party in order to gain majority of electors could run separate candidates in different sections of the country and then if successful leave it to these electors to select for office anybody of their choosing, whether they were on the November ballot or not. Or looking back, in 2016 the Democrats could have run Clinton-Sanders in some states while in others a Sanders-Clinton ticket. All the while telling the public they'd let the electors they gain on election day decide who gets which office.
One weakness I see with the electoral college is that it did not provide for enough restrictions on popular will. That states have instituted primary elections and enlisted the will of the people in helping to determine the composition of the EC was an invitation for the ignorant to have a say in who the president is.

Yes, from what I read it is quite different than what was initial envisioned.

The function of the College of Electors in choosing the president can be likened to that in the Roman Catholic Church of the College of Cardinals selecting the Pope. The original idea was for the most knowledgeable and informed individuals from each State to select the president based solely on merit and without regard to State of origin or political party.

The structure of the Electoral College can be traced to the Centurial Assembly system of the Roman Republic....

The Electoral College - Origin and History
What we have in today's world are electors that are beholden to the political party power structure in their state.

You, me, maybe a few others here understand The Constitution is a 'living' document that the Founders desired to have flexibility over time.
The conservative shitheads here however HATE The Constitution, they hate the potential for lawful amendments, thus these shitheads HATE The Constitution.

No way did our FF's want a straight up democracy.....they liked the democratic republic.....and for good reason

Oh right; those same folks (FFs) also gave US The 3/5ths Compromise. I suppose you still desire slavery?

Pay grade? LOL, you are a dumb ass that does not believe in progress.

You & your kind would rather be stuck in some goddamn cave, back in time, never evolving .........

Oh right; those same folks (FFs) also gave US The 3/5ths Compromise. I suppose you still desire slavery?

Shouldn't you be in school today?

You & your kind would rather be stuck in some goddamn cave, back in time, never evolving .........
The 3/5th’s clause was anti-slavery, no wonder you hate it, shitforbrains.

Shouldn't you be in school today?

No, I should be at the gym right now but I am leaving shortly.
After that; off to the gun range & a couple hundred rounds of .40 S&W through my H&K VP40.
gotta stay on target :26:

it was a compromise that ALLOWED slavery to flourish for another 75 years, dip shit head.

Pass an Amendment then. Get off your ass and get it passed. Yet Democrats refuse.
I wonder why.

if not for the 3

it was a compromise that ALLOWED slavery to flourish for another 75 years, dip shit head.

if not for the 3/5ths clause slavery would still exist

Pass an Amendment then. Get off your ass and get it passed. Yet Democrats refuse.
I wonder why.

I am not a Democrat; I have never registered as any political affiliation. I voted for Ronny RayGun in the first POTUS election I was legally able to vote in. You don't know shit about me so go fuck off.

I wonder why.

I am not a Democrat; I have never registered as any political affiliation. I voted for Ronny RayGun in the first POTUS election I was legally able to vote in. You don't know shit about me so go fuck off.
Sure you did. No one stupid enough to think the 3/5th clause was pro slavery could have voted for Reagan.

I wonder why.

Sure you did. No one stupid enough to think the 3/5th clause was pro slavery could have voted for Reagan.

I voted Ronny RayGun in November, 1980; I was 19 years of age.
I did NOT make the same mistake in the 1984 election.

MY QUOTE: "it was a compromise that ALLOWED slavery to flourish for another 75 years, dip shit head."

Did that state any goddamn thing about being, "pro slavery?"

No, it did not. It states that the compromise allowed the continuation of slavery. That is neither pro, nor con.

Bone up on your reading comprehension shit head.

I wonder why.

MY QUOTE: "it was a compromise that ALLOWED slavery to flourish for another 75 years, dip shit head."

No, it did not. It states that the compromise allowed the continuation of slavery. That is neither pro, nor con.

youre very ignorant of history,,

I wonder why.

So let the Southern States create their own nation in 1788 instead of 1861.

How pro slavery of you.

I wonder why.

youre very ignorant of history,,
488AE464-D95B-45FF-8F5F-36A6F932D569.jpeg

Forum List

Back