It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
According to Holder:

The laws were not intended to improve public safety but rather "to stigmatize, shame, and shut out a person who had been found guilty of a crime."

Hell yeah. Since we can't bring back the stocks this will work.

Not all states restrict felons from voting this is just another case of Holder grandstanding.

It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says - NBC News

If Holder wants to allow convicted Felons to vote, a re-instating of that right, would he be willing to make it an "all or nothing" law?

If one "right" is restored, then all rights are restored?

If Holder wants to allow convicted Felons to vote, a re-instating of that right, would he be willing to make it an "all or nothing" law?

If one "right" is restored, then all rights are restored?

Heheheheheh. Excellent question.

Holder is speaking as a black man who sees blacks as being disproportionately jailed in America and thus disproportionately disenfranchised.

The problem is that to be consistent, given the supreme court hypocrisy in Bush v. Gore, the dems really need to leave this as a state issue.

Personally, I've always thought the "war on drugs" was simply a political ploy, much like Nixon's southern strategy. But, my view is a minority down here in Miss.

According to Holder:

The laws were not intended to improve public safety but rather "to stigmatize, shame, and shut out a person who had been found guilty of a crime."

Hell yeah. Since we can't bring back the stocks this will work.

Not all states restrict felons from voting this is just another case of Holder grandstanding.

It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says - NBC News

No felons can vote for president though

Holder is speaking as a black man who sees blacks as being disproportionately jailed in America and thus disproportionately disenfranchised.

Then I suggest they don't get arrested disproportionately.

I'm OK with it....You have either paid your debt to society or you haven't

If we want them to be good citizens when they get out, they should be able to act like citizens

I never got the whole felon thing anyways, you did your time , so what's the point with the stigma?

I never got the whole felon thing anyways, you did your time , so what's the point with the stigma?

People don't want to be stigmatized so don't break the law, I think that is the point.

Holder is merely looking forward to the day when he won't be voting. Unless he gets away with yet another Executive Order. Can Holder issue Executive Orders? Why in hell not since they're so popular these days!

I agree. I personally have never agreed with barring felons from voting. Punish them with whatever jail time they earned and be done with it.

Depending on the crime, I also disagree with how hard it is for felons to get certain jobs. We set up an environment for repeat offenders by denying them the opportunity to return to society as respectable citizens.

I agree. I personally have never agreed with barring felons from voting. Punish them with whatever jail time they earned and be done with it.

Depending on the crime, I also disagree with how hard it is for felons to get certain jobs. We set up an environment for repeat offenders by denying them the opportunity to return to society as respectable citizens.

I agree, once you have served your time, you should be free in every way. If the goal is lifetime punishment, keep them in prison for life, don't set them free and then make it virtually impossible for them to survive.

Felons tend to vote Democrat in numbers that rival that other Dem voting bloc: the non-living

I agree, once you have served your time, you should be free in every way. If the goal is lifetime punishment, keep them in prison for life, don't set them free and then make it virtually impossible for them to survive.

the problem is the definition of felon.

You have 18 year old kids who have yet to mature who commit felonies...such as stealing a car for fun.....or on a dare...and they are branded for life.

How can you compare that to a 35 year old man who tries to kill someone who looked at him in a funny way?

Forum List

Back