Jeb Bush: I would have invaded Iraq

Jeb was trying to be honest. Sorry his manner of answering disappointed you.
I would be more inclined to agree if he had not previously answered in exactly the opposite manner, then spent four days walking it back to his Final Answer, yes?

Should we ask the right when they are going to start bearing True Witness to their own Republican Doctrine?
IMHO, salvation for the GOP lies in shrugging-off the Corporatists and once again becoming The Party of the Common Man... not that I'm holding my breath, waiting.

Should we ask the right when they are going to start bearing True Witness to their own Republican Doctrine?
IMHO, salvation for the GOP lies in shrugging-off the Corporatists and once again becoming The Party of the Common Man... not that I'm holding my breath, waiting.
All we ever get from the Right is more government programs, blah...blah...blah.

By late 2005 dumbo had lost traction. 66% of Americans, compared to 26%, think the Iraq invasion was a dumb ass move. Jeb put his foot in it, and I hope he can't get out of it.
Bush was the true illegitimate President not only the first time he "won", but the second time.

He took the Presidency by force, once using his brother's state of Florida and his party in the RW Republican Governor to give it them, and the other time it was given to him by the Supreme Court.

So just more RW lies and lies once again.

#SMHGOP

Aw, did the mean ole boooooshes beat your two clowns in two close elections? Did it hurt your widdle feeeeeellings that Gore and Kerry got their lying asses kicked? Tought shit.

I would be more inclined to agree if he had not previously answered in exactly the opposite manner, then spent four days walking it back to his Final Answer, yes?

come on man, he screwed up. he answered the question he thought she was going to ask rather than the question she actually asked.

This is much ado about nothing, Jeb is not going to be the GOP candidate.

Where have all the posters gone who for years relentlessly defended Iraq as a brilliant idea even when we all knew now what we didn't know then?

That's the important question. The silent capitulation of the diehards.

Where have all the posters gone who for years relentlessly defended Iraq as a brilliant idea even when we all knew now what we didn't know then?

If you are talking about the democrats like both Clintons who fully supported the Iraq fiasco, they are still out there but are pretending they did not say what they said back then.

The fact is that the entire world bought into the bad intel.

Personally, I never thought invading Iraq on the ground was the right thing to do. We could have removed Saddam by covert means and saved thousands of lives and billions of dollars.

come on man, he screwed up. he answered the question he thought she was going to ask rather than the question she actually asked.

I agree that it is likely that Jeb is not going to be the GOP candidate.

I disagree that it is much ado about nothing.

I also disagree with your assessment that he 'screwed up' with respect to the understanding and answering of the question.

He knew exactly what was being asked, and he had known for weeks or months, prior to that time, that the question was going to be asked.

And, if not, he has no business holding himself out as sufficiently competent to take-on any sort of national leadership or governing role, never mind the Presidency itself.

Hell, any 15-year-old taking a high school poli-sci or history class could foresee the nature and timing of that question.

So could Jeb Bush.

This wasn't a screw-up.

He began the sequence by supporting GW Bush's decision.

Then he spent the next four days back-pedaling, until, in the end, he came-off looking like the Cowardly Lion, who could not stand by his convictions, nor his own brother.

For shame.

If he had any ghost-of-a-chance of obtaining the GOP nomination, it seems quite possible that this little four-day -long charade, has squashed any such chance.

Speaking strictly as a matter of personal opinion... you're trying to defend the indefensible in this narrow context, Red, and it won't wash.

Sorry.

We can't win 'em all.

Let it go.

I also disagree with your assessment that he 'screwed up' with respect to the understanding and answering of the question.

He knew exactly what was being asked, and he had known for weeks or months, prior to that time, that the question was going to be asked.

And, if not, he has no business holding himself out as sufficiently competent to take-on any sort of national leadership or governing role, never mind the Presidency itself.

Hell, any 15-year-old taking a high school poli-sci or history class could foresee the nature and timing of that question.

So could Jeb Bush.

This wasn't a screw-up.

Then he spent the next four days back-pedaling, until, in the end, he came-off looking like the Cowardly Lion, who could not stand by his convictions, nor his own brother.

For shame.

If he had any ghost-of-a-chance of obtaining the GOP nomination, it seems quite possible that this little four-day -long charade, has squashed any such chance.

Speaking strictly as a matter of personal opinion... you're trying to defend the indefensible in this narrow context, Red, and it won't wash.

Sorry.

Let it go.

my intent is not to defend jeb bush. I never supported him and never will.

are you saying he gave the wrong answer because he is stupid or because he did not listen carefully to the question?

He obviously had a planned talking point to deliver and started the delivery when he heard the word 'iraq'.

If I could choose the GOP ticket, it would be Kasich/Rubio. How about you?

If you are talking about the democrats like both Clintons who fully supported the Iraq fiasco, they are still out there but are pretending they did not say what they said back then.

Personally, I never thought invading Iraq on the ground was the right thing to do. We could have removed Saddam by covert means and saved thousands of lives and billions of dollars.

Last I heard, Cheney, Wolfowitz, and Rumsfeld, key players, were still holding the view that invading Iraq was the right thing to do even knowing what we know now.

Last I heard, Cheney, Wolfowitz, and Rumsfeld, key players, were still holding the view that invading Iraq was the right thing to do even knowing what we know now.

those idiots are wrong, whats your point?

your post points out the difference between conservatives and liberals. You assume that we blindly support our guys when they screw up because thats what you fools do.

Last edited:
So, Jeb ended-up throwing big brother under the bus yesterday, after all, eh? Disappointing.

The overwhelming belief among Americans that Iraq was a mistake is what threw GW Bush under the bus.

The GOP politicians running for president who have done so are just exercising political common sense.
The mistake was waiting to long before going in. If we had gone in a month earlier we would've found the WMD that Saddam stashed in Syria.

So, Jeb ended-up throwing big brother under the bus yesterday, after all, eh? Disappointing.

The overwhelming belief among Americans that Iraq was a mistake is what threw GW Bush under the bus.

The GOP politicians running for president who have done so are just exercising political common sense.
The mistake was waiting to long before going in. If we had gone in a month earlier we would've found the WMD that Saddam stashed in Syria.

maybe, but a better plan would have been to wait until Saddam used one and then turned the entire country into radioactive dust.

maybe, but a better plan would have been to wait until Saddam used one and then turned the entire country into radioactive dust.
9/11 has showed us that it's stupid to wait and allow the enemy to pick where and when to attack us before doing something about it. That we need to make sure we fight in their back yard and not our own and be preempted in our defense.

Would you throw YOUR brother under the bus?

I wouldn't.

Kind of depends what he did, wouldn't it?...
Nope.

...If my brother was an ax murderer, yeah, I'd throw him under the bus in a heartbeat...
Disagree... your commitment to family differs from my own, apparently.

...If my brother started a war based on a lie, completely mucked up the operation, got 5000 Americans and a million Iraqis killed, allowed the Iranians to dominate the middle east, then yes, I would throw him under the bus...
Disagree... I have already served-up my own personal solution for handling such a situation... it will have to stand or fall upon its own merits.

...I also wouldn't claim that I should be president because of my family connections, which is what Jebby is trying to do here.
Agreed.

Ditto for Billary.

Wait....you are saying that if your brother committed a murder you would harbor him? Is that what you are saying?

9/11 has showed us that it's stupid to wait and allow the enemy to pick where and when to attack us before doing something about it. That we need to make sure we fight in their back yard and not our own and be preempted in our defense.

not a valid analogy. Saddam was not going to attack the USA.

So could Jeb Bush.

This wasn't a screw-up.

For shame.

Sorry.

Let it go.

are you saying he gave the wrong answer because he is stupid or because he did not listen carefully to the question?

He obviously had a planned talking point to deliver and started the delivery when he heard the word 'iraq'.

I am saying that Jeb made the mistake of giving any kind of answer, because it was a No-Win scenario for him, no matter which way he answered.

I am saying that Jeb knew exactly what was being asked, at the time or the original question-posing, all protestations to the contrary on his part notwithstanding.

It was going to be The Obvious Question of his own candidacy and a blind man could have seen it coming a mile off and that he saw it coming too and simply flubbed it by serving-up an answer of any kind.

I've already served-up a Damned-if-I-Do-and-Damned-if-I-Don't solution which I perceive would have sufficed, and defused the situation, but, I, too, could very well be wrong.

Nobody over the age of 10 believes he 'misunderstood The Question'.

As to a decent GOP ticket... I truly don't know yet... I'm still thinking that one over.

So could Jeb Bush.

This wasn't a screw-up.

For shame.

Sorry.

Let it go.

I am saying that Jeb made the mistake of giving any kind of answer, because it was a No-Win scenario for him, no matter which way he answered.

I am saying that Jeb knew exactly what was being asked, at the time or the original question-posing, all protestations to the contrary on his part notwithstanding.

It was going to be The Obvious Question of his own candidacy and a blind man could have seen it coming a mile off and that he saw it coming too and simply flubbed it by serving-up an answer of any kind.

I've already served-up a Damned-if-I-Do-and-Damned-if-I-Don't solution which I perceive would have sufficed, and defused the situation, but, I, too, could very well be wrong.

Nobody over the age of 10 believes he 'misunderstood The Question'.

As to a decent GOP ticket... I truly don't know yet... I'm still thinking that one over.

Sooooo, he should have refused to answer?

He should have said. "based on what we know today, I would not have attacked Iraq, based on what we knew at the time, I, and almost everyone else including both Clintons, would have supported the attack"

Forum List

Back