Joe Biden, a President for the New Cold War

Praise from a rightwing Opinion columnist at the rightwing Wall Street Journal.

No paywall on this article.

In one way, the 79-year-old NATO adherent is the right man for his times.​

Mr. Biden has a few flaws but he was a child of the Cold War and, unless I’m mistaken, has surprised and discombobulated Vladimir Putin with his un-Obama-like response to renewed tensions over Ukraine, including, on Monday, whipping a German chancellor into line. By sending military supplies to Ukraine, by deploying troops to Eastern Europe, by preparing sanctions, the Biden administration has orchestrated a set of signals that even Mr. Putin can’t misinterpret.

*snip*

Mr. Biden hasn’t committed U.S. troops to Ukraine itself, but this I now think would smack of desperation, and seems unnecessary. The U.S. and NATO don’t need to lift so many fingers to make Mr. Putin realize he can’t afford the risk.

Whatever the Russian leader is thinking, he hoped to find the U.S. and its allies weak and divided. This is proving a bad bet so far. From a larger perspective, it’s easier to say what Mr. Putin wants than how he hopes to get it. He wants to be a U.S. client, spared any too-fervent support for democratic forces in Russia or its neighborhood. He could play the equal while, in truth, being a nuclear-armed Mobutu whose insecurities and vanity we patronize because it’s less trouble than not patronizing them.

When he finally broke his silence on Ukraine last week, Mr. Putin’s key words, which he repeated for French President Emmanuel Macron on Monday, concerned the strategic but awkwardly situated peninsula his forces seized from Ukraine in 2014.

For a short-term boost in patriotic rah-rah, for a simulated victory for Russia’s “historic” interests, he created a headache for himself that can only get worse. He all but admitted as much: “Let’s imagine Ukraine is a NATO state and they start this operation [to retake Crimea]. So now do we have to start a war against the NATO alliance? Did anyone think about that? I don’t think so.”

The person who forgot to think was Mr. Putin.
As long as Hunter Biden is making money, who cares? LOL

That did fix it. Making a comparison between America's border and foreign borders is bullshit.

This is Cold War brinkmanship to the extreme.

Nordstream2 going forward is the straw that will break Nato's back in Europe and hence the reason for Nato finally destroyed as it becomes obvious that it's only a tool for US aggression.

Biden could be the president that's held responsible!
I agree that there are far different issues regarding the two borders. I do believe it is reasonable to compare the complacency that Democrats have wrt the US border while going hyperbolic about protecting Ukraine's border.

I agree that there are far different issues regarding the two borders. I do believe it is reasonable to compare the complacency that Democrats have wrt the US border while going hyperbolic about protecting Ukraine's border.
Are you ready to acknowledge the fact that it's a bad idea to stop illegal immigrants when your country needs the cheap labour?
Can they be replaced with legal immigrants who fall under the protection of minimum wage laws?

You must know as well as anyone that both parties dragged their feet on acting, right up until Trump blundered on the border wall idea. Not for it's effect on illegals but for it's effect on Americans who had turned to being racists at Trump's urging.

What better motivation than racism in America since Trump?

We've failed at protecting our own soverignity!
As a result, we're no longer Democracy's World Police!!
Elitist war pigs are still hangin' onto a dream, tho'.

Why would you say Holman Jenkins was "rightwing"? It's easy to put a label on someone to make a political point? If you read the freaking op-ed you would find that Jenkins supported Brandon in the 2020 election and still supports the old dude although his confidence in the administration is stretched to the breaking point.

That did fix it. Making a comparison between America's border and foreign borders is bullshit.

This is Cold War brinkmanship to the extreme.

Nordstream2 going forward is the straw that will break Nato's back in Europe and hence the reason for Nato finally destroyed as it becomes obvious that it's only a tool for US aggression.

Biden could be the president that's held responsible!
Da, you tell 'em... tvaritch... :badgrin:

Praise from a rightwing Opinion columnist at the rightwing Wall Street Journal.

No paywall on this article.

In one way, the 79-year-old NATO adherent is the right man for his times.​

Mr. Biden has a few flaws but he was a child of the Cold War and, unless I’m mistaken, has surprised and discombobulated Vladimir Putin with his un-Obama-like response to renewed tensions over Ukraine, including, on Monday, whipping a German chancellor into line. By sending military supplies to Ukraine, by deploying troops to Eastern Europe, by preparing sanctions, the Biden administration has orchestrated a set of signals that even Mr. Putin can’t misinterpret.

*snip*

Mr. Biden hasn’t committed U.S. troops to Ukraine itself, but this I now think would smack of desperation, and seems unnecessary. The U.S. and NATO don’t need to lift so many fingers to make Mr. Putin realize he can’t afford the risk.

Whatever the Russian leader is thinking, he hoped to find the U.S. and its allies weak and divided. This is proving a bad bet so far. From a larger perspective, it’s easier to say what Mr. Putin wants than how he hopes to get it. He wants to be a U.S. client, spared any too-fervent support for democratic forces in Russia or its neighborhood. He could play the equal while, in truth, being a nuclear-armed Mobutu whose insecurities and vanity we patronize because it’s less trouble than not patronizing them.

When he finally broke his silence on Ukraine last week, Mr. Putin’s key words, which he repeated for French President Emmanuel Macron on Monday, concerned the strategic but awkwardly situated peninsula his forces seized from Ukraine in 2014.

For a short-term boost in patriotic rah-rah, for a simulated victory for Russia’s “historic” interests, he created a headache for himself that can only get worse. He all but admitted as much: “Let’s imagine Ukraine is a NATO state and they start this operation [to retake Crimea]. So now do we have to start a war against the NATO alliance? Did anyone think about that? I don’t think so.”

The person who forgot to think was Mr. Putin.
Putin is massing troops on Ukraine's border because he senses weakness. He knows Biden is incompetent and the US armed forces have been pussified down from what they were 10 years ago. The election of Biden and the weakening of our forces only encouraged Putin.

So, Veggie Joe’s feckless leadership throws us into another Cold War, and the idiot OP thinks Veggie Joe is the guy to get us out of this new Cold War.

What a moron.

Forum List

Back