Zone1 Jon Stewart questions the transgender protections in Arkansas

Gender reassignment surgery is done only on adults and there is usually a lengthy process of counseling, hormonal therapy etc before surgery is even considered. That said there will always be unethical doctors. Since we are talking about adults making their own decisions in consultation with their doctors and the current established protocols, I donā€™t see why that should be a problem.

Now jump to genital mutilationā€¦.are we talking kids or adults?

With kids, no, of course it should be banned. With the rare exception of certain medical conditions such as ambiguous genitalia or hermaphroditism. But what I think you mean is a disgusting surgery done on women in certain cultures ā€¦ and should it be banned?

Yes. Of course on children and also for adults. There is zero medical benefit, in fact usually the opposite.

There is actually another genital surgery done however, usually on infants, and that is circumcisionā€¦I am not sure how I feel about that.
How are you this woefully uniformed? They are cutting out teenage girls breast buds. They arenā€™t even waiting for them to get old enough to actually have boobs.

Real quick, if there is a surgery and the parent choses to follow the childā€™s wishes not to have a blood transfusion should big authoritarian government interfere in personal, private decisions on how to raise their children?
They actually rarely do especially if religion is involved unfortunatelyā€¦but shouldnā€™t the decision be dependent on harm and whether the childā€™s life or health is compromised? Again, gender affirming surgery is not done on minors unless it involves some specific medical conditions like ambiguous genitalia.

Whats that you said? If they arenā€™t doing these surgeries on children why would anyone care if they are made illegal for children?
First: breasts arenā€™t genitals. Keep your anatomy straight.

Second: breast surgeries are for a variety of reasons including cosmeticā€¦removing them or adding to them. In my personal, that sort of cosmetic surgery, either augmenting or removing shouldnā€™t be done on minors without a medical reason (excessively large breasts lead to pain and spinal issues).

What is interesting to me is how it seems people having issues with teens getting ā€œtopā€ surgery have no issue with teens augmenting ā€œthe topā€ piece. I oppose both on minors under 18.

Gender reassignment surgery is done only on adults and there is usually a lengthy process of counseling, hormonal therapy etc before surgery is even considered. That said there will always be unethical doctors. Since we are talking about adults making their own decisions in consultation with their doctors and the current established protocols, I donā€™t see why that should be a problem.
The age limit is being ratcheted downward:

1666051289795.png

The World Professional Association for Transgender Health said hormones could be started at age 14, two years earlier than the groupā€™s previous advice, and some surgeries done at age 15 or 17, a year or so earlier than previous guidance. The group acknowledged potential risks but said it is unethical and harmful to withhold early treatment.

Unethical and harmful. To NOT amputate breasts at 15, or surgically alter genitals at 17 is unethical and harmful. A lead in to making it mandatory with no parental choice. Once those ages are accepted, young ones will be pushed for. Look who is doing the pushing:

The association provided The Associated Press with an advance copy of its update ahead of publication in a medical journal, expected later this year. The international group promotes evidence-based standards of care and includes more than 3,000 doctors, social scientists and others involved in transgender health issues.

The Jon Stewarts of the world tell us that we must listen to them, they are the experts. No common sense from regular people allowed.

The update is based on expert opinion and a review of scientific evidence on the benefits and harms of transgender medical treatment in teens whose gender identity doesnā€™t match the sex they were assigned at birth, the group said. Such evidence is limited but has grown in the last decade, the group said, with studies suggesting the treatments can improve psychological well-being and reduce suicidal behavior.

That last is a lie. There may be studies "suggesting" that, but studies who have conclusions and not "suggestions," all say that there is no significant reduction in suicide rates among people who have transgender medical and surgical treatment. It is shockingly high, either way.

That is to be expected from people whose mental health issue is rejection of their own bodies. A much better therapy would be to help them accept their bodies as they are. Dress how you want and call yourself whatever gender you want, but don't chemically and surgically alter your body.
Now jump to genital mutilationā€¦.are we talking kids or adults?
Kids, as shown above.
With kids, no, of course it should be banned. With the rare exception of certain medical conditions such as ambiguous genitalia or hermaphroditism.
Glad to hear it, but you have a fight on your hands as you can see.
But what I think you mean is a disgusting surgery done on women in certain cultures ā€¦ and should it be banned?

Yes. Of course on children and also for adults. There is zero medical benefit, in fact usually the opposite.
I agree. At some point we have to say, even if an adult wants to cut up their own genitals, we have to recognized that this desire stems from a mental illness. I would say the same about men who want to be castrated and have their penises inversted into artificial vaginas for use by other men. But, until the psychological community, minus the profiteers of the transgender industry step up, I have to accept that adults can make that decision.
There is actually another genital surgery done however, usually on infants, and that is circumcisionā€¦I am not sure how I feel about that.
I would not ban circumcision for adults, but I would for children. It's a cosmetic procedure many men would choose, I'm guessing. I get that there are religios reasons for doing it to babies, but babies are unable to express a religious belief that leads them to want to have their genitals altered, just like todlers are unable to express that they are a different gender than their biological sex.

First: breasts arenā€™t genitals. Keep your anatomy straight.

Second: breast surgeries are for a variety of reasons including cosmeticā€¦removing them or adding to them. In my personal, that sort of cosmetic surgery, either augmenting or removing shouldnā€™t be done on minors without a medical reason (excessively large breasts lead to pain and spinal issues).

What is interesting to me is how it seems people having issues with teens getting ā€œtopā€ surgery have no issue with teens augmenting ā€œthe topā€ piece. I oppose both on minors under 18.

This one appears to be one of the rare cases where it is done. I donā€™t agree. Wait til 18.

From your source:
For gender-affirming genital procedures, patients must be 18 or older by the time of surgery.

From your source:
At the Washington University Transgender Center at St. Louis Childrenā€™s Hospital, we offer gender affirming surgery to youth 18 years and older.

It is extremely rare.

This one appears to be one of the rare cases where it is done. I donā€™t agree. Wait til 18.

From your source:
For gender-affirming genital procedures, patients must be 18 or older by the time of surgery.

From your source:
At the Washington University Transgender Center at St. Louis Childrenā€™s Hospital, we offer gender affirming surgery to youth 18 years and older.

It is extremely rare.
At a childrens hospital. These places are changing their websites because of the public backlash. I ask again if these surgeries arenā€™t happening why the pushback against banning them?

The age limit is being ratcheted downward:

View attachment 711610

The World Professional Association for Transgender Health said hormones could be started at age 14, two years earlier than the groupā€™s previous advice, and some surgeries done at age 15 or 17, a year or so earlier than previous guidance. The group acknowledged potential risks but said it is unethical and harmful to withhold early treatment.

Unethical and harmful. To NOT amputate breasts at 15, or surgically alter genitals at 17 is unethical and harmful. A lead in to making it mandatory with no parental choice. Once those ages are accepted, young ones will be pushed for. Look who is doing the pushing:

The association provided The Associated Press with an advance copy of its update ahead of publication in a medical journal, expected later this year. The international group promotes evidence-based standards of care and includes more than 3,000 doctors, social scientists and others involved in transgender health issues.

The Jon Stewarts of the world tell us that we must listen to them, they are the experts. No common sense from regular people allowed.

Interesting linkā€¦have to think about this, but a couple of things come to mind.

The first line under the title:

Emotional and cognitive maturity will factor in, as well as parental consent

The first two are also used in determine whether a minor can be emancipated.

Secondā€¦.what is common sense? Common sense once said if you beat the shit out of your kid he would stop being gay.

Thirdā€¦this kind of strengthens the fact this needs to be between parent, kid and doctor, not politicians on either side.

The update is based on expert opinion and a review of scientific evidence on the benefits and harms of transgender medical treatment in teens whose gender identity doesnā€™t match the sex they were assigned at birth, the group said. Such evidence is limited but has grown in the last decade, the group said, with studies suggesting the treatments can improve psychological well-being and reduce suicidal behavior.

That last is a lie. There may be studies "suggesting" that, but studies who have conclusions and not "suggestions," all say that there is no significant reduction in suicide rates among people who have transgender medical and surgical treatment. It is shockingly high, either way.
How is it a lie?
It is perfectly honest, it says studies thus far are limited but suggest improved well being. None show worsening. And yes, it is shockingly highā€¦so what do you do?
That is to be expected from people whose mental health issue is rejection of their own bodies. A much better therapy would be to help them accept their bodies as they are. Dress how you want and call yourself whatever gender you want, but don't chemically and surgically alter your body.

Kids, as shown above.

Iā€™m not so sure if it as simple as rejection of oneā€™s body. I think there are two factors here. A group of young people who are experimenting with and undetermined about their own sexual identity (normal at theat age) and a much smaller group who deeply, truly and from a young age believe themselves to be in the wrong body.

The key is to do no or the least harm. My personal view is no surgeries until 18, but other than that,it needs to be up to the family and their doctors, NOT politicians who are more concerned with their own ideas of gender then with child and family.

Glad to hear it, but you have a fight on your hands as you can see.

I agree. At some point we have to say, even if an adult wants to cut up their own genitals, we have to recognized that this desire stems from a mental illness. I would say the same about men who want to be castrated and have their penises inversted into artificial vaginas for use by other men. But, until the psychological community, minus the profiteers of the transgender industry step up, I have to accept that adults can make that decision.

I really donā€™t buy into the profiteer claim, no matter what those getting surgery are a tiny segment of a tiny segment of the population. You want to profit, traditional cosmetic surgeries are the way.

I would not ban circumcision for adults, but I would for children. It's a cosmetic procedure many men would choose, I'm guessing. I get that there are religios reasons for doing it to babies, but babies are unable to express a religious belief that leads them to want to have their genitals altered, just like todlers are unable to express that they are a different gender than their biological sex.
I honestly have not given a lot of thought on circumcision because it is such a cultural norm.

At a childrens hospital. These places are changing their websites because of the public backlash. I ask again if these surgeries arenā€™t happening why the pushback against banning them?
Can you provide evidence they are changing their websites? I rather doubt it. Donā€™t childrenā€™s hospitals treat up until 21?

Something doesnā€™t have to be real for politicians to wave the red cloth and get the base fired up.

Can you provide evidence they are changing their websites? I rather doubt it. Donā€™t childrenā€™s hospitals treat up until 21?

Something doesnā€™t have to be real for politicians to wave the red cloth and get the base fired up.
Why is anyone against banning it though?

It sounds like Boston is denying what is being claimed and Catholic offers no proof.
It was stated on their website. And in videos posted on their website. I guess they could have been lying but thatā€™s a weird thing to lie about

Forum List

Back