June 6th, Today is D-Day

Now I know they may not be teaching the importance of D-Day in the schools anymore, but

today marks the anniversary of the Allied invasion of Normandy. American soldiers stormed

the beach under heavy fire and many did not make it.

My uncle did make it back, but sometimes when he fell asleep in the living room La-Z-Boy, he'd have really bad nightmares and be right back there.

D-Day marks the beginning of the end of the Nazis, Fascists, and Imperial Japan.

This was the most dramatic day in my father's life.

For decades afterwards until the day he finally died he would scream in his dreams and I would have to go into his bedroom and wake him from his nightmares.

The Normandy anniversary gets fanfare every 10 years.

Last time was 2014.

Next time will be 2024.

The present year for us (2017) is the 100 year anniversary of US troops under Pershing, one of the greatest generals in US history, landing by sea in France for WW1.

Meanwhile Normandy sleeps.

Calls to mind our greatest generals in history, for me:

- Petraeus (before he started boinking Broadwell)

- Schwartzkopf

- Abrams

- Ridgeway

- MacArthur

- Ike

- Patton

- Pershing (as I already indicated above)

- Grant

- Sherman

- Sheridan

- Zachary Taylor

- Jackson

- Washington.

Note that there are no Rebel generals on my list. Those azzholes should all have been hanged, but Andrew Johnson did not have the stomach to do it. Grant probably would have but by then it was too late.

Honorable mentions for the USN:

- Nimitz

- Halsey

- Spruance

- Fletcher

- John Paul Jones

I was born on D-Day. My Ol' Man's CO held up his order's to go overseas until I was born. By July, he was on a troop ship to Europe. He was a sergeant. He was on the front lines from when he landed until he lost his leg in the Battle of the Bulge. He never spoke of what he had done, nothing. I never knew what he had done until many years after he died in 1982 of a heart attack. Going through my Mom's things when she died I found his old uniform and his ribbons and awards. I had to look up many but I recognized instantly the two Bronze Stars and one Silver Star plus his Purple Heart.

Frankly, he was a SOB. My Mom lived with me for the last ten years of her life. I once asked her why she had stayed married to him. She responded by saying that he wasn't the same man he had been before he went overseas and, here is where I choked up, "he needed me". He was never physically abusive to her although today it might be considered different with me.

He was pretty quiet with me when I told them I had enlisted in the Army at the beginning of the Vietnam war. He dropped me off at the location for my bus and it was the first time he said: "I love you".

Patton did say we fought the wrong side.
He was talking about Russia.
So? He said we should have fought WITH Germany to defeat the communist bastard's. He was 100% correct and since he would shut up he was murdered.
Patton kept a number of surrendered German divisions in his area. He let them retain their arms, tanks and artillery. His intention was to take 3rd Army and his German conscripts to Moscow and arrest Joseph Stalin and dismantle the Red Army. When Eisenhower heard about it he blew a gasket and sent LTG Bedell Smith to order Patton to disarm the Germans and turn them loose to go home. When time came to collect the arms a German captain traded his Luger to my father for a carton of Camel cigarettes, worth about 90 cents at the time. Get facts straight. Patton never conspired with the Nazis. He hated them as much as the Russians and American Democrats.

Now I know they may not be teaching the importance of D-Day in the schools anymore, but

today marks the anniversary of the Allied invasion of Normandy. American soldiers stormed

My uncle did make it back, but sometimes when he fell asleep in the living room La-Z-Boy, he'd have really bad nightmares and be right back there.

D-Day marks the beginning of the end of the Nazis, Fascists, and Imperial Japan.

I'd be willing to bet that 90% of millennials have no idea what today means to them.

I'd be willing to bet that 90% of millennials have no idea what today means to them.

That's a possibility. None have posted in here.

Forum List

Back