CDZ Jury Duty?

I never understood why we need to yank 12 random people out of their lives to serve on a jury anyway.

Why can't a judge decide if the evidence merits a guilty or not guilty verdict ?

Or maybe we should institute a professional juror system.

People with some knowledge of the law, the rights of the accused and the victims and at least some basic understanding of forensic science instead of a bunch of people who don't know anything about those things

because:

jury of one's peers
In all criminal cases – not necessarily all civil cases – the defendant has the constitutional right to have a juryof their peers at trial (note that “peers” often means citizens, See Citizen; also note that a blue ribbon jurywould violate this right). This right can be found in the Sixth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution where it states, “the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury.” See Impartial Jury. The purpose of this provision is to ensure that a jury’s verdict is not tainted by biases that jurors may harbor before being presented with the evidence of the particular case. Readily recognized biases include gender, race, sexual orientation, nationality, etc. To exclude potentially biased jurors, either party to the suit may use a peremptory challenge during the jury selection process.
Jury of one’s peers is somewhat similar to the expression “judgement of his peers” which simply means a jury trial and comes from the Magna Carta.
[Last updated in July of 2020 by the Wex Definitions Team]

jury of one's peers

^^^ THAT ^^^

Why is it so important to you that people of average intelligence who have little to no understanding of the law and forensic science make ill informed decisions on the guilt or innocence of a person?

Most Americans have an IQ between 85 and 115.

Do you really want some barely functional borderline retard on your jury?

I never understood why we need to yank 12 random people out of their lives to serve on a jury anyway.

Why can't a judge decide if the evidence merits a guilty or not guilty verdict ?

People with some knowledge of the law, the rights of the accused and the victims and at least some basic understanding of forensic science instead of a bunch of people who don't know anything about those things

because:

jury of one's peers
In all criminal cases – not necessarily all civil cases – the defendant has the constitutional right to have a juryof their peers at trial (note that “peers” often means citizens, See Citizen; also note that a blue ribbon jurywould violate this right). This right can be found in the Sixth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution where it states, “the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury.” See Impartial Jury. The purpose of this provision is to ensure that a jury’s verdict is not tainted by biases that jurors may harbor before being presented with the evidence of the particular case. Readily recognized biases include gender, race, sexual orientation, nationality, etc. To exclude potentially biased jurors, either party to the suit may use a peremptory challenge during the jury selection process.
Jury of one’s peers is somewhat similar to the expression “judgement of his peers” which simply means a jury trial and comes from the Magna Carta.

jury of one's peers

^^^ THAT ^^^

Why is it so important to you that people of average intelligence who have little to no understanding of the law and forensic science make ill informed decisions on the guilt or innocence of a person?

what a drama queen you are. there is an elimination process that weeds out anyone unfit.

oh & uh …. the constitution <----- that.

that's why.

because:

jury of one's peers

jury of one's peers

^^^ THAT ^^^

what a drama queen you are. there is an elimination process that weeds out anyone unfit.

that's why.

The lawyers want stupid people on the jury because stupid people are more easily manipulated.

Do you really think lawyers pick the smartest people in the room?

I don't know if you're naive or just dumb.

Just what we need yet another bunch of professional parasites sucking the taxpayer tit and fucking up every damn thing they touch. I have one thing they don't, common fucking sense.

So you want the government to force you to work on a jury for who knows how long for a couple bucks an hour?

The average IQ of the public is 100 I sure as shit don't want these average idiots deciding matters of law
Fuck matters of the law, what really matters is what is right, what is wrong and what makes sense and that's exactly why juries make the most sense to me.

right and wrong don't mean anything in court.
And that is a problem. Maybe you should spend some time trying to fathom why we have laws in the first place, dummy.

Serving on jury duty is something I strongly belive in doing .Most citizens I have met do what ever they can to get out of it.Its how we citizens can have an impact along with. Voting. Do you go on jury duty when summoned? One thing that was dissapointing for me was when entering the jury room its just me and a large room of other white people.
So you make a post about responsibility but you're really making it about race. goodbye.
THE reason why I was disappointed was the area I grew up in 39 people were lynched both black and white; so non whites could vote and serve on on a jury. I was hoping to see a good mix of citizens.

Just what we need yet another bunch of professional parasites sucking the taxpayer tit and fucking up every damn thing they touch. I have one thing they don't, common fucking sense.

So you want the government to force you to work on a jury for who knows how long for a couple bucks an hour?

The average IQ of the public is 100 I sure as shit don't want these average idiots deciding matters of law
Fuck matters of the law, what really matters is what is right, what is wrong and what makes sense and that's exactly why juries make the most sense to me.

And that is a problem. Maybe you should spend some time trying to fathom why we have laws in the first place, dummy.

HAving stupid people on a jury is the problem

The intelligent people get out of it.

Exactly my point.

Having stupid people sitting on the bench and acting as prosecutor is a much bigger problem.

Not always. Some may even want to do it.

Not always. Some may even want to do it.
Are you suggesting that a person of reasonable intelligence wants to be on a jury?
No.

This is, IMO, a rather stupid generalization. A “jury of one’s peers,” a jury “representative of the public,” voir dire, challenges, all are legal concepts and tools that prosecutors, plaintiffs and defending attorneys all use in civil and criminal cases. While time consuming and expensive, they get rid of many who are unable or unwilling to even try to be unbiased.

The problem isn’t stupid jurors (or “too well educated” jurors), liberal or conservative ones. Nothing guarantees perfect decisions, especially where money, corporations and expensive lawyers, or complex cases are involved. Judges are important as they guide by explaining the law. But the jury system has been not merely an important and rather unique foundation of the U.S. legal system, but an obstacle to government overreach.

I was never on a jury in NYC where most jurors did not take their role seriously once selected. Rich or not, highly educated or not, agreeing or not, I found the experience sometimes quite emotional, even draining, but it always re-affirmed my belief that jury duty was itself an education in civil government. Even when I disagreed with the majority opinion.

I served s a foreman on a murder trial back in the late 1980s.

It was very intense. When we first voted everybody except me voted for a lesser charge.

Three days later we found him guilty of murder.

I found out that a lot people are weak minded. For instance, after the first vote I was able to change two minds like in 15 minutes. The others came later. We had one hold out but I was ultimately able to convince her.

The experience of seeing how flicked juries can be scared me.

Just think, juries let OJ Simpson and Casey Anthony off the hook.

because:

jury of one's peers

jury of one's peers

^^^ THAT ^^^

that's why.

The lawyers want stupid people on the jury because stupid people are more easily manipulated.

both the prosecute & defense filter out people... for many reasons.

why do you hate the constitution?

Serving on jury duty is something I strongly belive in doing .Most citizens I have met do what ever they can to get out of it.Its how we citizens can have an impact along with. Voting. Do you go on jury duty when summoned? One thing that was dissapointing for me was when entering the jury room its just me and a large room of other white people.

I went to jury selection in my county, and it was great...it was a nice new building with a spacious waiting area with an attached cafeteria for lunch.......I waited all day, and at the last minute we were herded into a small courtroom......they picked the jury and let us go...

Having stupid people sitting on the bench and acting as prosecutor is a much bigger problem.

Yeah some uneducated guy with an 85 IQ sitting on a jury is going to make the justice system work better.

because:

jury of one's peers

jury of one's peers

^^^ THAT ^^^

that's why.

both the prosecute & defense filter out people... for many reasons.

why do you hate the constitution?

And they keep the dumbest ones on the jury.

And there are a lot of things that we can improve on in the Constitution.

This is, IMO, a rather stupid generalization. A “jury of one’s peers,” a jury “representative of the public,” voir dire, challenges, all are legal concepts and tools that prosecutors, plaintiffs and defending attorneys all use in civil and criminal cases. While time consuming and expensive, they get rid of many who are unable or unwilling to even try to be unbiased.

The problem isn’t stupid jurors (or “too well educated” jurors), liberal or conservative ones. Nothing guarantees perfect decisions, especially where money, corporations and expensive lawyers, or complex cases are involved. Judges are important as they guide by explaining the law. But the jury system has been not merely an important and rather unique foundation of the U.S. legal system, but an obstacle to government overreach.

I was never on a jury in NYC where most jurors did not take their role seriously once selected. Rich or not, highly educated or not, agreeing or not, I found the experience sometimes quite emotional, even draining, but it always re-affirmed my belief that jury duty was itself an education in civil government. Even when I disagreed with the majority opinion.

Lawyers do not want the best and brightest to sit on a jury.

Forum List

Back