Just a thought for Republicans that dislike Trump.

There are about 20 juicy political appointments a president makes, 15 cabinet members, national security advisory, chief economic advisory, chief of staff, attorney general, and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. These people become the president's trusted advisories. Now some presidents have years of experience and knowledge in dealing with congress, foreign affairs, the military, or domestic matters. So he or she doesn't really need that much expertise in all areas. However, a rank amateur like Trump that lacks experience in all areas of government will need help everywhere. It he trades off these positions for endorsements and political favors, he's going to surround himself with yes men that are as clueless as he is.

Great post except for the digs at Trump being a rank amateur.

Trump's profession as a real estate developer and deal maker is one of the toughest jobs in the world. It is literally mind boggling all the lose ends you have to become familiar with and master, from researching the proposal, ones rivals proposals, the primary rival personnel, the logistics of the deal, the personalities of the client, the best ways to isolate or minimize the competition, etc. Trump can probably spew all the numbers of every deal he has ever made. You have to have better people working for you than your competition also.

You dont get to the apex of success as he has without being exceedingly thorough and empathetic.

And if this election so far is any indicator, he is a hell of a lot smarter than all the professionals he is running against.

What makes you think that Trump cant be as successful in a different managerial position at the White House, known as the POTUS?

Republicans have broken voter turnout records in every state so far. I'm pretty sure that is the result of the Trump phenomenon. I'm also pretty sure a lot of his supporters will disappear with him if he loses the nomination. I know how much a lot of you dislike Trump, but at this point he is probably the best bet for a Republican win.

The best bet is Rubio or Kasich.

RealClearPolitics - 2016 Presidential Race
I agree. I think in a Trump vs. Clinton race, Clinton will increase her lead in the polls after the nominations because Trump will have to get votes from a lot of people that just don't like him. Trump's support by the republican establishment will always be begrudging and insincere. For a nominee to win the general election, he or she needs the enthusiastic support of a unified party and I don't see that happening with Trump.

My feeling is just the opposite. If Shrillary is the nominee, people will come out of the woodwork to vote for Trump just so she doesn't get elected.
I think you underestimate Hillary's popularity among Democrats, women, and all minorities. However, the major advantage Democrats have in this election is they will be united. Compared to Republicans there is little dissension in the party. Just today, the Speaker of the House and the Senate Majority Leader tried to distance themselves from Trump and his slowness to back away from the David Duke endorsement. They're afraid as many in the party are that Trump will lose the general election and bring down a lot a Republican congressmen.

There's some pretty interesting polling data coming out the exit polls which are pretty scary for the republican establishment. For example, among Trump voters, only 10% considerable his electability in the general election an important factor in their decision to vote for him.

Republicans have broken voter turnout records in every state so far. I'm pretty sure that is the result of the Trump phenomenon. I'm also pretty sure a lot of his supporters will disappear with him if he loses the nomination. I know how much a lot of you dislike Trump, but at this point he is probably the best bet for a Republican win.

The best bet is Rubio or Kasich.

RealClearPolitics - 2016 Presidential Race
I agree. I think in a Trump vs. Clinton race, Clinton will increase her lead in the polls after the nominations because Trump will have to get votes from a lot of people that just don't like him. Trump's support by the republican establishment will always be begrudging and insincere. For a nominee to win the general election, he or she needs the enthusiastic support of a unified party and I don't see that happening with Trump.

My feeling is just the opposite. If Shrillary is the nominee, people will come out of the woodwork to vote for Trump just so she doesn't get elected.
I think you underestimate Hillary's popularity among Democrats, women, and all minorities. However, the major advantage Democrats have in this election is they will be united. Compared to Republicans there is little dissension in the party. Just today, the Speaker of the House and the Senate Majority Leader tried to distance themselves from Trump and his slowness to back away from the David Duke endorsement. They're afraid as many in the party are that Trump will lose the general election and bring down a lot a Republican congressmen.

There's some pretty interesting polling data coming out the exit polls which are pretty scary for the republican establishment. For example, among Trump voters, only 10% considerable his electability in the general election an important factor in their decision to vote for him.

Trump is not going to lose to Hillary.

There are about 20 juicy political appointments a president makes, 15 cabinet members, national security advisory, chief economic advisory, chief of staff, attorney general, and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. These people become the president's trusted advisories. Now some presidents have years of experience and knowledge in dealing with congress, foreign affairs, the military, or domestic matters. So he or she doesn't really need that much expertise in all areas. However, a rank amateur like Trump that lacks experience in all areas of government will need help everywhere. It he trades off these positions for endorsements and political favors, he's going to surround himself with yes men that are as clueless as he is.

Great post except for the digs at Trump being a rank amateur.

Trump's profession as a real estate developer and deal maker is one of the toughest jobs in the world. It is literally mind boggling all the lose ends you have to become familiar with and master, from researching the proposal, ones rivals proposals, the primary rival personnel, the logistics of the deal, the personalities of the client, the best ways to isolate or minimize the competition, etc. Trump can probably spew all the numbers of every deal he has ever made. You have to have better people working for you than your competition also.

You dont get to the apex of success as he has without being exceedingly thorough and empathetic.

And if this election so far is any indicator, he is a hell of a lot smarter than all the professionals he is running against.

What makes you think that Trump cant be as successful in a different managerial position at the White House, known as the POTUS?
I'm sure Trump is a talented CEO and knows property management and development backwards and forward and I suppose he's an excellent negotiator. However, the job of president has little to do with negotiations, at least the type Trump is familiar with. Presidential negotiations are at a very high level and are primarily political negotiations. A president never sits down and hammers out a trade treaty, an arms deal, or a political alliance. He meets with heads of states and determines if negotiations are possible. If he feels there is room for negotiations then he passes the baton to his negotiators. He lays down goals and limits for those that actually do the negotiations. His experience and knowledge of the subject are far more important than his negotiating skills. Presidents simply don't have the time to get involved in the treaty negotiations. Most treaties are complex and take years to get them to a point where they are ready for approval.

Last edited:
Politicians are driven by a thirst for power not wealth.

Yeah, that is why they all retire poor, right?

If Trump get's elected, he'll owe a ton of political favors.

He wont owe the favors to corporate lobbyists though.

Do you think Christie endorsed Trump because he thinks he'll make a great president? No way. Christie is in the 3rd year of his second term and he can't run again. He's going to be looking for a VP spot or a cabinet position or possibly AG.

My bet is AG.

As Trump goes through his campaign and collects endorsements and favors, he becomes more indebted to others. As president, political favors are the currency a president uses to do his job.

Hey somebody's gotta take those jobs. so why not do some horse trading?

It is the people that take tens of millions of USD donations from corporations that I am concerned about.

What some politician owes to another politicians is immaterial if not illegal.

And I don't notice that he's all that good at delegating. He appears to have structured his business dealings so that he's in control of everything. Not a great mindset for a President.

Do you think Christie endorsed Trump because he thinks he'll make a great president? No way. Christie is in the 3rd year of his second term and he can't run again. He's going to be looking for a VP spot or a cabinet position or possibly AG.

My bet is AG.

As Trump goes through his campaign and collects endorsements and favors, he becomes more indebted to others. As president, political favors are the currency a president uses to do his job.

It is the people that take tens of millions of USD donations from corporations that I am concerned about.

And I don't notice that he's all that good at delegating. He appears to have structured his business dealings so that he's in control of everything. Not a great mindset for a President.

You are so off base, it is not even humorous.

Trump has delegated a tremendous amount of authority, not only to his children, but hundreds of other managers he's found qualified for their positions.

He is one thousand times the manager Shrillary is and Sanders can't even organize an effective demonstration.

I'm sure Trump is a talented CEO and knows property management and development backwards and forward and I suppose he's an excellent negotiator. However, the job of president has little to do with negotiations, at least the type Trump is familiar with. Presidential negotiations are at a very high level and are primarily political negotiations. A president never sits down and hammers out a trade treaty, an arms deal, or a political alliance. He meets with heads of states and determines if negotiations are possible. If he feels there is room for negotiations then he passes the baton to his negotiators. He lays down goals and limits for those that actually do the negotiations. His experience and knowledge of the subject are far more important than his negotiating skills. Presidents simply don't have the time to get involved in the treaty negotiations. Most treaties are complex and take years to get them to a point where they are ready for approval.

Ask any buinsess management major; if can manage X, you can manage W, Y and Z as well. The basic principles are the same from one management position to the next, only the details are different in character but not in essence. A manager that is successful at managing a widget factory can also manage a lumber mill, a shoe store or a dog kennel.

Management is management.

The same thing about deal making. The same basic principle are common to all deals; the need for leverage, the winner likely being the one who is perceived as best able to walk away from the deal. This is true whether you are buying a new car, new house, a raise, whatever.

My bet is AG.

You are so off base, it is not even humorous.

Trump has delegated a tremendous amount of authority, not only to his children, but hundreds of other managers he's found qualified for their positions.

He is one thousand times the manager Shrillary is and Sanders can't even organize an effective demonstration.

Yeah, Trump is great about allowing people to follow his orders. Sharing power and decision-making? Not so much.

And don't even start with telling me all about how Trump does and doesn't do whatever in his companies, and his children this and that, because you don't know any more about it than I or anyone else does. His businesses are deliberately set up to preclude that.

Forum List

Back