Latin Lunch

What IS great is that in this country people speak whatever the hell language they want.
Why is it 'great' that we have people in this country who can't communicate in American English? You can speak 'whatever the Hell language' you want but most people won't understand you. I find it rude that people loudly speak in a foreign language to each other in public in the United States.

Which is great until you want to actually group communicate or save time and money by speaking once instead of having to repeat the same thing in different ways .
Communication is a natural human instinct.

I took Spanish in high school and college and a conversational Spanish course since but I still get by with mostly the Spanglish street Spanish I picked up in high school in Santa Fe. Really really wanted to learn the language fluently but I guess not enough to have the discipline to actually do it. I can generally get by as long as we keep it really simple. Don't know if the non English speakers appreciate my very awful efforts to converse with them or if they pity me or make fun of me. :) I do appreciate their very awful efforts to speak English to me though so. . .

My main problem with Spanish is a sort of speech impediment thingee in which I cannot roll my r's which is really necessary to speak Spanish properly, so I would never likely ever be able to speak it really well.
I think a lot of Spanish speakers do appreciate the effort to converse in their language. They should appreciate America even more by learning our language.

My main problem with Spanish is a sort of speech impediment thingee in which I cannot roll my r's which is really necessary to speak Spanish properly, so I would never likely ever be able to speak it really well.

Native Spanish speakers generally don't expect a gringo to do that anyway.

Communication is a natural human instinct.
True and it's infuriating when you have to repeat yourself to a non-English speaking person in America. I especially dislike getting phone calls from some call center in another country. You can't understand most of what they say and, I don't think it's right that I have to 'push 1 for English.'

Why is it 'great' that we have people in this country who can't communicate in American English? ....

It's great that in this country we have the freedom to speak whatever the hell language we want. Don't like it? Tough shit.

It's great that in this country we have the freedom to speak whatever the hell language we want. Don't like it? Tough shit.
Non English speakers in America face obstacles in building a life for themselves and their families. Language barriers negatively impact them when it comes to health and safety issues as well. Agricultural workers seem to suffer the most. We should not cater to non-English speakers nor should we demonize them. We need to TEACH then American English.

Non English [sic]speakers in America face obstacles in building a lifer [sic] for them and their families [sic]. ...

They know that better than you. That's why almost all ARE learning English. You should try.

Forum List

Back