Learning to shoot

Anomalism

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2020
Been at it for a week or so. I can reliably hit the vital zones on a silhouette target from 30 yds with a 9mm pistol. My grandpa thinks I'm pretty good. Thinking it might be cool to be some kind of firearms instructor some day.

My only problem right now is speed. Reloads as well as lining up that shot takes me longer than I like. I was expecting eyesight to be super important, but muscle memory, grip and trigger control seem to be way more important. This is a lot more fun than I expected.

1651431714816.gif

Been at it for a week or so. I can reliably hit the vital zones on a silhouette target from 30 yds with a 9mm pistol. My grandpa thinks I'm pretty good. Thinking it might be cool to be some kind of firearms instructor some day.

My only problem right now is speed. Reloads as well as lining up that shot takes me longer than I like. I was expecting eyesight to be super important, but muscle memory, grip and trigger control seem to be way more important. This is a lot more fun than I expected.

• Front sight post - Focus on the front sight post....eventually you'll learn how to line up your sights without thinking about it. If you want to work on your accuracy put the targets at 11 meters. Concentrate on getting close groups.The key is working on your sight alignment and trigger pull.
  • Changing Mags - If you want to work on reloads just get a couple of empty mags and practice ejecting mags and reloading from your holster. I got to the point where I could change a mag in 1.5 seconds or less. Use dry-fire to practice mag change and sight alignment then pulling the trigger. Should get it down to under 2.5 seconds.
  • Shooting while moving - Practice walking slowly and shooting. If you can't move and shoot then you're an easy target. Slow is fast. Stay smooth and in control.

I've been shooting since the age of five. Starting with BB and Pellet guns.
After a while it comes easy with muscle memory like you said.
The only way to get better is to shoot more often.
My Brother got a .357 with a 6in. barrel and couldnt hit a prickly pear cactus from 40 ft.
I took it and hit 6 out of 6 with ease. It's all about practice and becoming used to the recoil.
You can practice to get rid of the flinch. Using a revolver is easy,just leave random cylinder holes empty and watch the barrel when you pull the trigger.
If it drops on the empty slots you're pushing in anticipation of the recoil.
With a semi auto it's a bit more complicated and you'll need multiple magazines. Put one round in some of the mags and leave others empty.
Put in a box mix em around and reach in and grab one,then without looking put the mag in the pistol and rack the slide.
To get really good you have to like to shoot.

I love shooting clays when I get the chance.
My favorite gun was a buddies over/under two barrel 20 guage.
Nice lightweight shotgun with minimal kick.

30 Yards, or feet? 30 Yards is a long way. Generally I practice the Glock at 50 feet.

I love shooting clays when I get the chance.
My favorite gun was a buddies over/under two barrel 20 guage.
Nice lightweight shotgun with minimal kick.

While I no longer use a .20 gauge I did the best shooting of my life with a single shot.
Nailed 24 out of 25 Snipe when I was around 15. Of course my eyes were younger and I shot a lot more back then.

I'm pretty good with my old Mauser rifle, but that has a scope. Next week I'm going to my uncles to try out his Mauser K98, M1 Carbine, Garand and Arisaka.

When you fire the Garand, hold it about an inch away from your shoulder for best accuracy.... A .30-06 has no real recoil.

Okay, I'm just kidding - don't do that.

When you fire the Garand, hold it about an inch away from your shoulder for best accuracy.... A .30-06 has no real recoil.

Okay, I'm just kidding - don't do that.

I actually regret selling my 30.06.
After I got my .270 I really didnt need it as it dropped anything I'd ever shoot in Texas.
Even the big Axis deer went down easily with it.
Still wish I hadn't sold it though.

30 Yards, or feet? 30 Yards is a long way. Generally I practice the Glock at 50 feet.
30 yards on an upper body human silhouette target. My grandpa is a very talented marksman. He participates in competitions and stuff. He's been focusing a lot on grip and trigger pull with me. Like I said though that shot takes me some time to line up and do right. At 30 feet I can tear the target's heart out. He says I have excellent accuracy but I feel very slow. Also everything I've done so far has been stationary.

Last edited:
Was thinking the same.
Most handgun encounters are way less than 90 feet.
Yeah, but it's fun for training. Can't hurt. When I start trying to do more tactical stuff it'll probably be more like 5 to 15 yds. Moving while shooting etc. I assume that will be a lot harder than shooting from a stationary position.

Last edited:
Yeah, but it's fun for training. Can't hurt. When I start trying to do more tactical stuff it'll probably be more like 5 to 15 yds. Moving while shooting etc. I assume that will be a lot harder than shooting from a stationary position.

The old combat glide....
I used to practice that on occasion but since my botched hip replacement it's out of the question for now.
I've started to concentrate on Shooting in place from cover and moving ...a bit more slowly.
You never want to post up and continue to fire from the same place. As they say,shoot and move.

The old combat glide....
I used to practice that on occasion but since my botched hip replacement it's out of the question for now.
I've started to concentrate on Shooting in place from cover and moving ...a bit more slowly.
You never want to post up and continue to fire from the same place. As they say,shoot and move.
I have a couple of nice gashes in my left hand from the slide, trying to smoke those reloads. haha

Forum List

Back