Leave Confederate Soldier Statues Alone

Excellent point. He is thus both a US vet and a Confederate vet, as a result of two different experiences.
images

8085deabd837ffb81979500a85fcd959890e11b41b1198558a

Robert E. Lee applied for a pardon and attempted to regain his citizenship after the war, but his application was "misplaced", and only "found" after his death.

I have never been completely comfortable with the US having appropriated his estate and turned it into Arlington Cemetery without any compensation, but, what is done, is done.

Maybe I can put it simply enough for you to understand.

Unless you fought as a member of the US Armed Forces, you are NOT a US veteran.
Maybe I can put it simply enough for you to understand.

YOU ARE >>>
offtopic-channel-logo1.png

And the Confederate States WERE US Armed Forces (only by some people's definition, they were not) Get it ?

Let's go back to what you want the topic to be about.

What makes you think you have any say in what statues stand on city property in a city you do not live in? Why do you, and outsider, think you have a say in what statues remain in a community if the community decides they should be removed?

U.S. Code Title 38 –Veterans’ Benefits, Part II –General Benefits, Chapter 15 Pension for Non-Service-Connected Disability or Death or for Service, Su General, § 1501. Definitions: (3…) The term “Civil War veteran” includes a p served in the military or naval forces of the Confederate States of American Civil War, and the term “active military or naval service” includes active s those forces.

Veterans are equivalent to Union Veterans.
U.S. Code Title 38 –Veterans’ Benefits, Part II –General Benefits, Chapter Pension for Non-Service-Connected Disability or Death or for Service, Su General, § 1501. Definitions: (3) The …term “Civil War veteran” includes a p served in the military or naval forces of the Confederate States of Ameri Civil War, and the term “active military or naval service” includes active s those forces.

Robert E. Lee applied for a pardon and attempted to regain his citizenship after the war, but his application was "misplaced", and only "found" after his death.

I have never been completely comfortable with the US having appropriated his estate and turned it into Arlington Cemetery without any compensation, but, what is done, is done.

I think it is a shame as well. But I have always liked the fact that Lee is one of the main models for the US military definition of "an officer and a gentleman".

They are obviously military veterans of their home states. Which part of that is difficult for you to understand?

That would make them Confederate veterans, or (e.g.) Tennessee veterans. Doesn't make them US veterans, since before they went into battle their state seceded from the US.

No, wrong. American veterans.

"Lee became the great Southern hero of the War, a postwar icon of the "Lost Cause of the Confederacy" to some. But his popularity grew even in the North, especially after his death in 1870.[8] Barracks at West Point built in 1962 are named after him."

this thread is proof that anti-American crapheads really DON'T know American history.

Or much of anything else.

Robert E. Lee - Wikipedia

General Lee is a US veteran. He served in the US military. He is NOT a US veteran because of his service in the confederate armies.
Another nearly meaningful distinction.

In a discussion of who is or is not a US veteran, it is a meaningful distinction. Lee served in the US military.

Side note: General Lee was never pardoned, and lost his US Citizenship for the remainder of his life.

It wasn't until ....get this : 1975 -- When an act of Congress signed by President Gerald Ford, restored his full rights of citizenship .

Honor military veterans. No veteran who performed honorably, following his orders, should be dishonored.

If one doesn't like the cause of a war a veteran may have fought in, take it up with the politicians of that era.

In a discussion of who is or is not a US veteran, it is a meaningful distinction. Lee served in the US military.
US military, Florida military, Confederate military, National Guard (state) military. - none of these should have their statues removed.

If there is any dishonor, it is upon those whose seek to remove these statues, and dishonor the individuals of those statues. The statues involved in the current bills in the Florida senate to remove statues, are statues of military people, honoring those military people, not a bunch of politicians, or whatever cause they espoused.

The statues of the Vietnam veterans are there to honor the veterans, not the war they fought in.

I see proud black Confederate American soldiers.

You think they were fighting for slavery?

Or do you think they're just too stupid to know what they were fighting for?

I know the answer, don't bother.

US military, Florida military, Confederate military, National Guard (state) military. - none of these should have their statues removed.

If there is any dishonor, it is upon those whose seek to remove these statues, and dishonor the individuals of those statues. The statues involved in the current bills in the Florida senate to remove statues, are statues of military people, honoring those military people, not a bunch of politicians, or whatever cause they espoused.

The statues of the Vietnam veterans are there to honor the veterans, not the war they fought in.

So you think the collective population of the entire country should be able to decide what statues are, or are not, on city property??

YOu don't live there. You don't pay taxes there. But you want to help decide what statues are kept or discarded there?

I see proud black Confederate American soldiers.

You think they were fighting for slavery?

Or do you think they're just too stupid to know what they were fighting for?

I know the answer, don't bother.

Who do you think knew more about the reasons for the secession, the men who wrote the confederate constitution and the vice-president of the confederacy? Or illiterate black men?

Forum List

Back