Liberty, Democracy, and Envy

I leave mine unlocked, one guy I read about said;

Matthew 5:39
But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.Matthew 5:42
Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.Luke 6:29
If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them.Luke 6:31
Do to others as you would have them do to you.

So I leave the doors open to allow anyone to take what they need, since I have always had more than I ever needed..
and the house does not get damaged in the act..

But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.Matthew 5:42
Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.Luke 6:29
If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them.Luke 6:31

So I leave the doors open to allow anyone to take what they need, since I have always had more than I ever needed..

You misunderstood...I wasn't talking about folks who live in a refrigerator box.

You misunderstood...I wasn't talking about folks who live in a refrigerator box.
Or a music box..

Or a music box..

You tiny little thing, you.

The world is not entirely comprised of "liberal" vs. "conservative" choices. Some of us see that approach as a rather naive one.

1. "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --" Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript

2. The document was understood at the time not to promise equality of condition.
Equality, as an abstract, was modified by the American idea of reward according to achievement, and a reverence for private property.
Unfortunately, said concept has been modified with the growth of modern liberalism, and the ‘egalitarian’ impulse that fuels it. We have witnessed the constant expansion into areas in which equality of sorts is seen as desirable and/or mandatory.

a. Now, we proceed into the shadowy world of unintended consequences.... The intuitive deTocqueville wrote:

" In a democracy private citizens see a man of their own rank in life, who rises from that obscure position, and who becomes possessed of riches and of power in a few years; the spectacle excites their surprise and their envy, and they are led to inquire how the person who was yesterday their equal is to-day their ruler. To attribute his rise to his talents or his virtues is unpleasant; for it is tacitly to acknowledge that they are themselves less virtuous and less talented than he was. They are therefore led (and not unfrequently their conjecture is a correct one) to impute his success mainly to some one of his defects; and an odious mixture is thus formed of the ideas of turpitude and power, unworthiness and success, utility and dishonor."
Tocqueville, "Democracy in America," chapter VIII

3. Well, in a democracy, once a portion of the electorate views the success of another, and compares same to himself, it begins ".. to impute [own lack of] success mainly to some one of his defects; and an odious mixture is thus formed of the ideas of turpitude and power, unworthiness and success, utility and dishonor"...and this is the very explanation of "Occupy Wall Street," they appeal to those in power ready to ignore right and wrong, laws, and tradition, and pander to the envious.

a. Everyone, it seems, wants to believe that he is just as good as the next guy, and in a democracy, the government adds its authority by the ‘leveling’ process.

“But what his heart whispers to him, and the law proclaims, the society around him incessantly denies: certain people are richer, more powerful than he, others are reputed to be wiser, more intelligent. The contradiction between social reality and the combined wishes of his heart and the law, therefore incites and nourishes a devouring passion in everyone: the passion for equality. It will never cease until social reality is made to conform with his and the law’s wishes.”
Pierre Manent, “An Intellectual History of Liberalism,” p. 107-8.

Of course, there are curs who see this flaw of human nature as their path to power.....they practice, successfully, 'Identity Politics,' based on stirring up enmity between people, and pandering.
Sadly, it works.

4. “Since the end of the Second World War, however, a new ‘ethic’ has come into being, according to which the envious man is perfectly acceptable. Progressively fewer individuals and groups are ashamed of their envy, but instead make out that its existence in their temperaments axiomatically proves the existence of ‘social injustice,’ which must be eliminated for their benefit.”
Helmut Schoeck, “Envy: A Theory of Social Behavior,” p. 179

Envy is one of those human characteristics which should be held in check. But when 'democracy' looks the other way, and accepts it, it becomes the basis for governmental action.

Mitt gave a very stupid, shallow, and dishonest answer to this very question.

I do envy guys with bigger third legs than I, but as far as anything else. It's all in relationship to what you want to make in your life. I gave up on massive consumerism and dollar worship in the 1990's. Minimalism is an easier way to live...
As far as you thinking that equality is universal? It can be since we don't have the social constricts the Founders had to deal with and unfortunately did not allow all to be free and equal in the US because of slavery, racism, bigotry and religious censorship and peer pressure by the non-seculars...

You should envy those which bigger IQ's than you.

But then you would be envious of virtually everyone.

Nah...you'd get in the same way you got into college....

...with a crowbar at 3 in the morning.

I suspect that is exactly how Moonie got into the AFL/CIO - but there is zero chance he finished high school, much less attended college.

Still business owners knew that da union might just use Moonie to "negotiate" them at 3 in the morning in a dark ally with a crowbar.....

I do envy guys with bigger third legs than I, but as far as anything else. It's all in relationship to what you want to make in your life. I gave up on massive consumerism and dollar worship in the 1990's. Minimalism is an easier way to live...
As far as you thinking that equality is universal? It can be since we don't have the social constricts the Founders had to deal with and unfortunately did not allow all to be free and equal in the US because of slavery, racism, bigotry and religious censorship and peer pressure by the non-seculars...

I appreciate you trying to make me feel better...letting me know you're dumb also...

Nah...you'd get in the same way you got into college....

...with a crowbar at 3 in the morning.

I suspect that is exactly how Moonie got into the AFL/CIO - but there is zero chance he finished high school, much less attended college.

Still business owners knew that da union might just use Moonie to "negotiate" them at 3 in the morning in a dark ally with a crowbar.....
A gat or a rod will work better...

I appreciate you trying to make me feel better...letting me know you're dumb also...

Thinking is just not your forte'

But I'll bet the mob put your crowbar skills to use for the union, right?

Accusing others of envy is how the Rich attempt to insulate themselves from criticism.

Probability is that you are as wrong about this as you are about everything else.

'Class envy' and 'class warfare' are cards that the RWnuts play all the time, as if they magically win the argument.

Sans lies you'd be mute.
The world is not entirely comprised of "liberal" vs. "conservative" choices. Some of us see that approach as a rather naive one.

Well, in truth, you are rather naive....
No, you are . . .

Wicked comeback!
You're still in junior high school....right?

Forum List

Back