Mafia Discussion Thread: Keep Your Torches and Pitchforks at Home!

Guys, let's keep from discussing ongoing games. Even the slightest mention of current game happenings influences the game in various ways. In a way it's sort of like altering time.

What I'm planning to do is a Closed Setup, in which no one will know what's up. That said, I'd like to go over some of the various basic mechanics and modifiers in Mafia, for your edification.

Let's start with the X-Shot modifier. What this means is that a PR (Power Role) will have its ability, but only be able to use it a set number of times before it runs out of metaphorical bullets. A 2-shot Doctor, for example, could only use its protective ability twice during the game. It could decide to not protect anyone Night 1, but save its protective power for Nights 2 and 3. A 1-Shot Bulletproof player would be immune from one kill attempt at Night. 3-Shot Jailkeeper would be able to jail players only three times during the duration of our game. This puts more effort on the player to use his or her abilities wisely.

I think this rule might be too much for us noobs to deal with.

it's not hard to play. maybe frustrating some for those who want to wield power indiscriminately. It helps add more PR's to keep VT's interested, and requires some team play. The coolest and worst modifier is the 1-shot day vig because you have to make that kill in front of everybody in the wide open for the whole world to see, and if you hit town, you got some explaining to do and if you are a 2-shot day vig and miss on the first one, town might lynch you just to keep from you screwing up again.

What is really cool about them IMO is that it gives you so many more options to screw with other players. You can over or undertstate your power even if you are forced to role claim to keep from being lynched. There are so many options that you can play to your advantage--maybe you are a 2-shot doc but you can role claim as a 1-shot nurse. You are still valuable to town, but you also are misleading scum. You can claim to have been something but already used your powers when you still have them etc etc. Oh I was a doc but I used it on night 1 to protect (whoever didn't get killed) and night two to protect (whoever didn't get killed). Nobody can refute it if they are not the real doc and you are fake claiming. :evil:

Guys, let's keep from discussing ongoing games. Even the slightest mention of current game happenings influences the game in various ways. In a way it's sort of like altering time.

What I'm planning to do is a Closed Setup, in which no one will know what's up. That said, I'd like to go over some of the various basic mechanics and modifiers in Mafia, for your edification.

Let's start with the X-Shot modifier. What this means is that a PR (Power Role) will have its ability, but only be able to use it a set number of times before it runs out of metaphorical bullets. A 2-shot Doctor, for example, could only use its protective ability twice during the game. It could decide to not protect anyone Night 1, but save its protective power for Nights 2 and 3. A 1-Shot Bulletproof player would be immune from one kill attempt at Night. 3-Shot Jailkeeper would be able to jail players only three times during the duration of our game. This puts more effort on the player to use his or her abilities wisely.

I think this rule might be too much for us noobs to deal with.

it's not hard to play. maybe frustrating some for those who want to wield power indiscriminately. It helps add more PR's to keep VT's interested, and requires some team play. The coolest and worst modifier is the 1-shot day vig because you have to make that kill in front of everybody in the wide open for the whole world to see, and if you hit town, you got some explaining to do and if you are a 2-shot day vig and miss on the first one, town might lynch you just to keep from you screwing up again.

What is really cool about them IMO is that it gives you so many more options to screw with other players. You can over or undertstate your power even if you are forced to role claim to keep from being lynched. There are so many options that you can play to your advantage--maybe you are a 2-shot doc but you can role claim as a 1-shot nurse. You are still valuable to town, but you also are misleading scum. You can claim to have been something but already used your powers when you still have them etc etc. Oh I was a doc but I used it on night 1 to protect (whoever didn't get killed) and night two to protect (whoever didn't get killed). Nobody can refute it if they are not the real doc and you are fake claiming. :evil:

So they can "out" themselves... That would be somewhat helpful to the VT.

So they can "out" themselves... That would be somewhat helpful to the VT.

Yep and I have done it. It is also a good way to force scum away from PR's toward lurker townies because you can mislead them about who you are going to protect--Gee I am not sure if I am protecting Grandma or Wake tonight with my one shot. Body Guard protect me if there is one---and then you can maybe roll the dice and not protect either one and save your protect for another day and have Grandma and wake safe and once they think you have used your protect, you are no longer a target as they will be looking for someone who hasn't used theirs.

If memory serves, the largest game ever had 40 players.

Multiple lynches each Day. :D:badgrin:

Alright, I've got some devilish ideas.

Game 3 will be a Closed Setup, and I'd like to give it some sort of theme. Nothing too immersive yet.

Angels... and Demons? :badgrin:

Or an aquatic-themed game? Oh, that sounds fun!

How about ancient China with ninjas and warlords?

To give players an understanding of what might be in our closed setup, I'll start making a list of the roles the MAY show up in our 3rd game. :D

Alright, I've got some devilish ideas.

Game 3 will be a Closed Setup, and I'd like to give it some sort of theme. Nothing too immersive yet.

Angels... and Demons? :badgrin:

Or an aquatic-themed game? Oh, that sounds fun!

How about ancient China with ninjas and warlords?

To give players an understanding of what might be in our closed setup, I'll start making a list of the roles the MAY show up in our 3rd game. :D

Maybe something most players are more familiar with, like scary movies, or westerns...

You guys make our game happen, so you get a voice in this as well.

We can do any kind of movie out there. From Indiana Jones to Jurassic Park.

When it comes to mildly themed games, images are also added within each Vote Count to promote the theme. :D

For example we could use The Cabin in the Woods, and the Townies be the monsters, and the Scum be the teens trying to escape the facility. :badgrin:

Anyone here ever watched The Thing? Either/all versions would be pretty neat for a theme, too.

Moonglow, that sounds neat too. ;-)

I've seen every version of The Thing....

I loved the 2011 version SO much. :lol:

Scary as hell.

NSFW in spoiler. Seriously.

thing004.gif

thing005.gif

Forum List

Back