MAGA BIBLE no, really, it's a real thing.

Bringing up god in class is not a problem as long as you don't bring up one particular god over the others. Freedom of religion means the state doesn't choose which god to support.
As we're seeing with the McCarthy vote today, the Qanon Caucus™ is now running the party.

Since they're fighting evil 'n Satan 'n Hitler 'n stuff, this should be an exciting year.

As if the last few haven't been exciting enough.

The teacher is not a state, and should be able to freely express their faith, as long as they are not coercing anyone join them in doing so!
--------------------------------------------------------
Well, there must be nuance here. The teacher is under state mandates and licensing...so he/she reflects some state authority. The role of leadership that inherently applies to teachers enjoins them from indulging in any expression of current faith-fashions.

If a teacher asks students to pray within the teacher's flavor of faith....yeah, that's a problem. As would be continued references to the Quran/Bible/Torah that he believes in. Or, if she puts down her prayer rug at the specified time ...and prays.

If a teacher succinctly states that he is a practicing Muslim/Buddhist/Zoroastrian to merely inform his students. OK. Shouldn't be a problem. But any teacher signaling that their own current faith-fashion is preferred is wrong.

In publicly funded schools, I might add.

If you send your kid to a Mormon private school....well then, different rules apply.

Well, there must be nuance here. The teacher is under state mandates and licensing...so he/she reflects some state authority. The role of leadership that inherently applies to teachers enjoins them from indulging in any expression of current faith-fashions.

If a teacher asks students to pray within the teacher's flavor of faith....yeah, that's a problem. As would be continued references to the Quran/Bible/Torah that he believes in. Or, if she puts down her prayer rug at the specified time ...and prays.

If a teacher succinctly states that he is a practicing Muslim/Buddhist/Zoroastrian to merely inform his students. OK. Shouldn't be a problem. But any teacher signaling that their own current faith-fashion is preferred is wrong.

If you send your kid to a Mormon private school....well then, different rules apply.
The First Amendment provides that Congress make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting its free exercise

As long as they are not coercing anyone join them in doing so! That is what I wrote, so you are saying you agree!

A teacher is a state employee
So you are saying, they cannot state they are believers in the classroom? See this is where the separation actually comes in, they can't prohibit the free exercise thereof. I am not saying she should teach Bible lessons, although the world would be a better place if he/she did, a I am saying she/he should be able to acknowledge her/his faith.

The First Amendment provides that Congress make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting its free exercise

As long as they are not coercing anyone join them in doing so! That is what I wrote, so you are saying you agree!

A public school isn't the place to practice your religion. Consider other locations like a movie theater, restaurant, Walgreens etc.

So you are saying, they cannot state they are believers in the classroom? See this is where the separation actually comes in, they can't prohibit the free exercise thereof. I am not saying she should teach Bible lessons, although the world would be a better place if he/she did, a I am saying she/he should be able to acknowledge her/his faith.
If you want to share your religion, the classroom is not the right place. There are plenty of places where proselytizing is acceptable.

Well, don't put words in my poor avatar's mouth. He struggles with his own.
A public school teacher of whatever faith ----need be very careful in presenting their faith in the school. And that is the assumed, the implied, the reality ......of a teacher leadership role. I personally have no problem with a Christianist teacher wearing a cross on a lapel or necklace; nor a Jewish teacher wearing a yarmulke.....as symbols of their belief. But when they start referencing biblical or torah verses in a non-academic frame, then they are out of line.
If I had a Islamist kid in school I would not want the teacher to frame problems as solvable by biblical scripture.
------------------------------------------------------------
Acknowledge their faith? OK, wear a Star of David pin. Wear a Crescent pin. Wear a cross. That's enough to signify one is a believer. And leave it right there.

And lastly, this comment about teaching Bible lessons ---"
"am not saying she should teach Bible lessons, although the world would be a better place if he/she did,"

Give me a break. Which "lesson" to teach? The Christianist Bible is like the daily horoscope. You can read whatever you want outta the verbiage. Should the lesson be Deuteronomy 22:21?*

That if your treasured little 17yr old Emily---the apple of her Grandmother's eye --- got too embroiled with the cute neighbor boy........then you gotta bring her to your front porch and let your neighbors stone her death?

THAT......is the lesson we need teach in our public schools?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

* ".....then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she has done an outrageous thing ......"

If you want to share your religion, the classroom is not the right place. There are plenty of places where proselytizing is acceptable.
The classroom is no place to share your political beliefs, or your social beliefs. Teachers do it all the time, separation is either separation, or it isn't.

Well, don't put words in my poor avatar's mouth. He struggles with his own.
A public school teacher of whatever faith ----need be very careful in presenting their faith in the school. And that is the assumed, the implied, the reality ......of a teacher leadership role. I personally have no problem with a Christianist teacher wearing a cross on a lapel or necklace; nor a Jewish teacher wearing a yarmulke.....as symbols of their belief. But when they start referencing biblical or torah verses in a non-academic frame, then they are out of line.
If I had a Islamist kid in school I would not want the teacher to frame problems as solvable by biblical scripture.
------------------------------------------------------------

Acknowledge their faith? OK, wear a Star of David pin. Wear a Crescent pin. Wear a cross. That's enough to signify one is a believer. And leave it right there.

And lastly, this comment about teaching Bible lessons ---"

Give me a break. Which "lesson" to teach? The Christianist Bible is like the daily horoscope. You can read whatever you want outta the verbiage. Should the lesson be Deuteronomy 22:21?*

That if your treasured little 17yr old Emily---the apple of her Grandmother's eye --- got too embroiled with the cute neighbor boy........then you gotta bring her to your front porch and let your neighbors stone her death?

THAT......is the lesson we need teach in our public schools?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

* ".....then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she has done an outrageous thing ......"
Yet Teachbers will browbeat kids, if they don't subscribe to the teachers social justice warrior beliefs, or political beliefs. Yes that happens a lot, I work with teenage kids who go to public schools. They are browbeat for not believing in Evolution also. I beleive that Jesus covered your question in Deuteronomy with his let he is without sin cast the first stone!

In yet another ploy to manipulate the religious community, trump jr. is hawking the "We The People Bible" The most ungodly and unChrist like president we ever had is trying to turn his MAGA into a religion. Trump has no shame, and it seems his religious followers have no integrity to continue following this childish fake Christian snake oil salesman.

Most any Homo sapiens will be automatically information compromised unless they have Seidel, The Founding Myth: Why Christian Nationalism is Un-American. duh

Jesus covered your question in Deuteronomy with his let he is without sin cast the first stone!
Then why is it still in the Christianist bible?
Which 'lessons' in the bible are more tractionful than others?
If it is in the bible.....ain't it supposed to be the Christianist's God's ruling?

Forum List

Back