Mark Levin and Donald Sterling

Me, on the other hand, I dont know the exact terms of the contractual relationship between Sterling and the NBA. I do know Sterling is an old experienced businesman with lots of access to top rate legal talent. I know Sterling is not shy about litigating matters. I know that stripping assets from someone without his consent is generally a legally difficult maneuver. I know people generally value their paychecks. I know this will set a horrible precedent for the NBA. Who wants to spend millions of dollars on a team knowing it can be taken from him because of a conversation at his dinner table?

If having rights is stupid then the entire constitution fails. If you don't have your rights then how can you claim others do? It has to come down to nobody has any rights granted by the constitution.That's how this has to end up.

You misunderstand me. But it's irrelevant anyway, and the subject of a different thread.

In the context of my previous posts, "rights" means legal rights in this country.

Those rights protect us from the government, not from one another.
Well then start a new thread by all means.

If your rights aren't considered legal then do we actually have them? Why have a constitution or a bill of rights if if they can be taken away by the twitter mob?

So instead of having constitutional or a bill of rights we have hashtag rights. Maybe we can reduce the constitution and the bill of rights to what pops up on twitter, kinda like our foreign policy and presidency. Legal no longer means what is actually legal let's replace that with hashtag.

The Doctor is wrong. There are certainly contractual rights. And legal rights sometimes conflict with those contractual rights. No one can really give up the right to sue in court if he is injured, for example. I dont know what the rights under contract are here. Neither does anyone else on this board.

Here are the takeaways from the Donald Sterling Incident:

- Crotchety old white guys who don't want to break bread in the presence of Blacks can in fact be Democrat and non-Christian.
- The NAACP overlooked Sterling's treatment of blacks and Hispanics as a slumlord in exchange for cash.
- Sterling's mistress committed a crime when she recorded then made public his comments from the privacy of his own home.
- The NBA, like the NAACP, has been an accomplice over the years while Sterling got rich off the backs of Blacks and Hispanics.

Sterling should have been careful about two things. One, the contracts he signed, it's all legal, and two, his actual thoughts on the race of those who make him the big bucks, who he'd so easily call *******.

A contract can be legal without the Party (the NBA) attempting to "invoke" it doing so on a proper or valid basis.

But Sterling should definitely muzzle his own mouth if all he can say is such massively stupid and generally ignorant racist shit.

Sterling should have been careful about two things. One, the contracts he signed, it's all legal, and two, his actual thoughts on the race of those who make him the big bucks, who he'd so easily call *******.

A contract can be legal without the Party (the NBA) attempting to "invoke" it doing so on a proper or valid basis.

But Sterling should definitely muzzle his own mouth if all he can say is such massively stupid and generally ignorant racist shit.

He was speaking in private I think in his own house. If you have to watch what you say in your own house we're in serious trouble.

He was speaking in private I think in his own house. If you have to watch what you say in your own house we're in serious trouble.

Half agreed. The initial comments were (it seems) illegally taped from a PRIVATE telephone conversation.

But, LATER on, the old dork gave public interviews and doubled down on his stupid commentary.

Half agreed. The initial comments were (it seems) illegally taped from a PRIVATE telephone conversation.

But, LATER on, the old dork gave public interviews and doubled down on his stupid commentary.

He's certainly entitled to hold an opinion, even an unpopular one.

Not something I ever disputed. But that doesn't make it wise for an owner of an NBA team to give voice to racist shithead thinking.

Not something I ever disputed. But that doesn't make it wise for an owner of an NBA team to give voice to racist shithead thinking.

I dont think he goes around spewing it. It became an issue because of the illegal tape made. But he has a history of this sort of thing anyway.

I dont think he goes around spewing it. It became an issue because of the illegal tape made. But he has a history of this sort of thing anyway.

If the telephone conversation had not been taped, none of this would be gong on. He might still be an old racist coot, but it wouldn't be a matter of public debate.

He DID however double down on stupid when he went on the air to be interviewed and continued talking his stupid shit.

All that said, it is now "out there" and I can understand why the NBA might want to get him out of the league. I also think that they need to go about that process in a legally valid way. And I do not think that what Commissioner Silver did is all that solid. I suspect it will get a smack down in a Court of law.

This is why I believe they need to back-peddle and commence sincere negotiations with the old coot, instead. His staying is not good for the NBA, but now it seems probable that his staying wouldn't be good for him and the team, either. So, they need to bargain their way to his ouster.

I believe I've posted that my prediction is they will come to some understanding because this is simply bad for business. Everyone will be able to claim victory.

I believe I've posted that my prediction is they will come to some understanding because this is simply bad for business. Everyone will be able to claim victory.

I didn't make a prediction, but I think we are on the same track. My suggestion is that they very much SHOULD get together to "negotiate." In the end, it seems like the most prudent business decision both sides could make. Going to COURT, by contrast, is a losing proposition for the NBA in all likelihood.

Forum List

Back