Mass. 2nd grader sent home for crucifix drawing

And I apologize, you are not as some of the others on here are.
Thank you, I appreciate your apology and offer my own. I take back anything offensive I said to you. Debates can get pretty heated and people get carried away. I know you to be a very sensible person concerning other subjects we have discussed.

Thank you, I appreciate that. Since I've had four people coming at me, it's hard to keep feelings separate, and I did not really intend to insult you in any way.
I can understand that. It happens to me too.

No, apparently they just like to belittle and put down others for their beliefs on message boards, and then convince themselves that they're tolerant and everyone should be more peaceful like them and the world would be a better place. And this is of course after they've put down and insulted others as much as their intellect would allow them too.

Can you see your house from up there on that martyr cross?

What's the matter, doesn't that 'holier than thou' stuff work for you like you thought? You show intolerance towards people's beliefs, and now they're martyrs when you're called on it? Must be nice to think you're perfect.

Drama....it's all about the drama to people like you.

☭proletarian☭;1820968 said:
Again, you show your ignorance of religion. Having religious beliefs has nothing to do with blaming your actions on anything. You really should learn more about religion if you want to intelligently bash it.

right... blaming a snake and a woman for making a man eat from a tree that poisoned man';s souls and causes you to be born with a sinful nature isn't blaming your actions or nature on anything :rolleyes: Satying that a man was possessed by a legion of demons or thatpeople are misled by Satan isn't saying that they're not wholly responsible for their actions :cuckoo:

So not only have you been proven a liar by Contessa, but you've proven yourself to be a stupid liar.

Contessa has never proven anything in her life. It says a lot about you that you are supportive of one of the most ridiculous and ignorant hacks on the site.
It says a lot about the high value of Contessa's posts and her participation in threads if ridiculous, abrasive and ignorant hacks such as yourself seek to denigrate her.

You said you would pray in your own way, not the way they asked you to.

Hello!!! Are you finally getting the picture?

Prayer is typically silent, and I think we're splitting hairs here. I said I would respect their beliefs and their customs, and I would.

How do you know that she wasn't a pushy bitch regardless of her religious beliefs? Why do you automatically tie them together? I've known plenty of people that I didn't care for that are christian, I don't let that color how I view christians or make any generalities about them as a group.
As I said, and I will repeat, I don't know one way or the other if she was a pushy bitch because of or in spite of her religious beliefs. You keep insisting I said she was. You are the one who wants to "automatically tie them together". I did no such thing. I have made no generalizations in this thread about any religious group, I've only related my own experiences. That was all that was asked of me.

No, you didn't tie them together, but you used her as an example of someone pushing you to do something, in a religious way, that you didn't want to do. My point was that most people who are out pushing their views on others are doing so because of who they are as a person and not necessarily because of their religious beliefs or because their religion demands it of them.

Not only would the lawsuits be a bad thing but his death would be a tragedy. I'm sure you meant that too.

Kudos to you for keeping an open mind and changing your position when you felt the evidence was strong enough to do so.

Why didn't you correct him? The teacher did not say those things, and that was not the picture that caused the incident?
Huh?
Because other people already had. And may because I was busy trying to correct all the inaccurate things you were saying about me. Sheesh!

Ang, I think you are a wolf in sheep's clothing. I think if I were to extend my hand in friendship to you, I would come back with a bloody stump, and you'll have a sweet and innocent smile on your face as if you didn't do anything wrong. :lol:

No one had corrected him about what he was saying but me. I said the same thing, but I didn't agree with the school being totally innocent and I got told in no uncertain terms how wrong I was. I find that interesting that he makes the sames statements, but says he thinks the school does the right thing, and he's patted on the head.

Last edited:
☭proletarian☭;1820968 said:
right... blaming a snake and a woman for making a man eat from a tree that poisoned man';s souls and causes you to be born with a sinful nature isn't blaming your actions or nature on anything :rolleyes: Satying that a man was possessed by a legion of demons or thatpeople are misled by Satan isn't saying that they're not wholly responsible for their actions :cuckoo:

So not only have you been proven a liar by Contessa, but you've proven yourself to be a stupid liar.

Contessa has never proven anything in her life. It says a lot about you that you are supportive of one of the most ridiculous and ignorant hacks on the site.
It says a lot about the high value of Contessa's posts and her participation in threads if ridiculous, abrasive and ignorant hacks such as yourself seek to denigrate her.

hello, Pot.

Prayer is typically silent, and I think we're splitting hairs here. I said I would respect their beliefs and their customs, and I would.

How do you know that she wasn't a pushy bitch regardless of her religious beliefs? Why do you automatically tie them together? I've known plenty of people that I didn't care for that are christian, I don't let that color how I view christians or make any generalities about them as a group.
As I said, and I will repeat, I don't know one way or the other if she was a pushy bitch because of or in spite of her religious beliefs. You keep insisting I said she was. You are the one who wants to "automatically tie them together". I did no such thing. I have made no generalizations in this thread about any religious group, I've only related my own experiences. That was all that was asked of me.

No, you didn't tie them together, but you used her as an example of someone pushing you to do something, in a religious way, that you didn't want to do. My point was that most people who are out pushing their views on others are doing so because of who they are as a person and not necessarily because of their religious beliefs or because their religion demands it of them.

Would that not apply to atheists too?

Why didn't you correct him? The teacher did not say those things, and that was not the picture that caused the incident?
Huh?
Because other people already had. And may because I was busy trying to correct all the inaccurate things you were saying about me. Sheesh!

Ang, I think you are a wolf in sheep's clothing. I think if I were to extend my hand in friendship to you, I would come back with a bloody stump, and you'll have a sweet and innocent smile on your face as if you didn't do anything wrong.

No one had corrected him about what he was saying but me. I said the same thing, but I didn't agree with the school being totally innocent and I got told in no uncertain terms how wrong I was. I find that interesting that he makes the sames statements, but says he thinks the school does the right thing, and he's patted on the head.
Note the Drama.

Can you see your house from up there on that martyr cross?

What's the matter, doesn't that 'holier than thou' stuff work for you like you thought? You show intolerance towards people's beliefs, and now they're martyrs when you're called on it? Must be nice to think you're perfect.

Drama....it's all about the drama to people like you.

Yeah, you tend to get that way when you're told over and over again how intolerant and judgmental you are just because of the religious beliefs you have. And of course the people telling you this are being intolerant and judgmental of you, but can't seem to see the forest for the trees when looking in the mirror at themselves. And what's ironic is that I'm the last person to be what is known as a drama queen, but you sure do have me pegged. :lol:

Would that not apply to atheists too?

Yes, it would. Now if people would stop painting with a broad brush and making generalizations, that would be great. But, that's not going to happen.

Huh?

Ang, I think you are a wolf in sheep's clothing. I think if I were to extend my hand in friendship to you, I would come back with a bloody stump, and you'll have a sweet and innocent smile on your face as if you didn't do anything wrong.

Note the Drama.

:lol: You, of course, never dramatize?

Last edited:
Huh?

Think whatever you want about me. Apparently none of it is nice so I'll just keep my distance from now on.

I said "Huh?" because I didn't know what you were referring to and thought you meant his disbelief of the school. I still don't know what you are referring to exactly. But I don't care at this point. I'm beginning to think you are a professional victim.

Hey guys i have an update on my previous position.

I have seen the drawing now where the kid put his name up there above the cross. I have also heard he told the teacher it was him on the cross (this can't be confirmed/denied with 100% authority but thats what the teachers said).

With that knowledge I think the school did the right thing in requiring a psych eval for the boy.

Imagine if 2 days after the artwork the kid killed himself or something
, there would have been major lawsuits against the school.
Not only would the lawsuits be a bad thing but his death would be a tragedy. I'm sure you meant that too.

Kudos to you for keeping an open mind and changing your position when you felt the evidence was strong enough to do so.

Yeah i though his death being a tragedy would have been obvious ;).

I never really had a solid position, i left myself wiggle room in case more evidence came to light...and it did.

Thats one thing I never understood about people....if presented with good evidence that contradicts a position they hold people will sometimes ignore and even fight it. Heck I do it sometimes and dont know why. I think we just, as humans, hate being wrong :).

hello, Pot.
Go smoke a bone, Baba. Maybe it will improve your disposition.

I have seen the drawing now where the kid put his name up there above the cross. I have also heard he told the teacher it was him on the cross (this can't be confirmed/denied with 100% authority but thats what the teachers said).

With that knowledge I think the school did the right thing in requiring a psych eval for the boy.

I never really had a solid position, i left myself wiggle room in case more evidence came to light...and it did.

Thats one thing I never understood about people....if presented with good evidence that contradicts a position they hold people will sometimes ignore and even fight it. Heck I do it sometimes and dont know why. I think we just, as humans, hate being wrong :).

Yeah, we all have pride. I have to say, debating on a message board has been good for me in real life because I've learned better how to admit when I'm wrong. Easier to do so anonymously. :lol:

Huh?

Think whatever you want about me. Apparently none of it is nice so I'll just keep my distance from now on.

I said "Huh?" because I didn't know what you were referring to and thought you meant his disbelief of the school. I still don't know what you are referring to exactly. But I don't care at this point. I'm beginning to think you are a professional victim.

Well, I have no idea what you're referring too either, and I'm so sorry I had to keep you so busy correcting all of the inaccurate things that I said about you. My apologies. My point was that you seem to enjoy getting jabs in, while seeming to appear friendly at the same time. You're very good at it, so I meant that as a compliment. :razz:

Yeah, except the picture of whoever it was supposed to be on the cross, is not the picture that caused the incident according to the school. That picture had nothing to do with it, the school is insisting that the father made all that up.

Yeah, except the picture of whoever it was supposed to be on the cross, is not the picture that caused the incident according to the school. That picture had nothing to do with it, the school is insisting that the father made all that up.

Ok this happened just a few towns over from me and here is what I gathered from local news reporters interviewing people:

The Father: Claims that his son drew that picture in class. Claims the school sent him home and told the family the child can not return until he receives psychological evaluations. Wants his child sent to a different school and the state (taxpayer) to pick up the tab

The School: Claims the kid didn't draw that in class but brought it into school. Claims the kid said it was him on the cross dead. Claims they told the family the child needs a psych evaluation because of the implications of him drawing himself dead on the cross.

Thats from what i've actually heard school officials and the parent say about it.....i am leaving out all the other B.S. that the media and those with different agendas have thrown in the mix.

Ok this happened just a few towns over from me and here is what I gathered from local news reporters interviewing people:

The Father: Claims that his son drew that picture in class. Claims the school sent him home and told the family the child can not return until he receives psychological evaluations. Wants his child sent to a different school and the state (taxpayer) to pick up the tab

The School: Claims the kid didn't draw that in class but brought it into school. Claims the kid said it was him on the cross dead. Claims they told the family the child needs a psych evaluation because of the implications of him drawing himself dead on the cross.

Thats from what i've actually heard school officials and the parent say about it.....i am leaving out all the other B.S. that the media and those with different agendas have thrown in the mix.

I'm just telling you what I was told by others previously in this thread. And I was directed to this press release made by the school. See what I bolded as part of the school's press release.

Taunton Public Schools - Response to Recent Allegations

TAUNTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
110 County Street
Taunton, MA 02780
Phone (508) 821-1100
Fax (508) 821-1177

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 5 P.M. EDT, December 15, 2009

It has been reported in the media that a student was suspended over drawing a rendering of Jesus Christ on the cross. This report is totally inaccurate, and the student was never suspended. This incident occurred nearly two weeks ago, it was handled appropriately, and the school staff and family had been working together in a cooperative and positive manner.

The drawing published in various media outlets is not the same drawing that was discovered by the teacher. It has not been established whether the drawing was actually completed in school. Contrary to what has been reported, there was no request or assignment by the teacher for students to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas or any religious holiday.

The inaccuracies in the original media story have resulted in a great deal of criticism and scrutiny of the system that is unwarranted. In this case, as in any other case involving the wellbeing of a student, the administration acted in accordance with the school department’s well-established protocol. This protocol is centered upon the student’s care, wellbeing and educational success. The protocol includes a review of the student’s records, discussions with staff, central administration, school psychologists and other community resources. Decisions were made only after this protocol had been completed, including a consultation with a veteran staff member with a background in clinical psychology and a Ph.D.

It is unfortunate that the actions of our district staff have been classified as “religious” in nature when, in fact, they were based solely on the wellbeing of the student. At this time of year, Christmas is one of many religious and secular holidays. Taunton, known as The Christmas City, takes pride as a community in celebrating this Christian holiday together with Hanukah, Kwanzaa, and many others. In the school district, it is our goal to provide the opportunity for all students to be well-rounded, and it is our responsibility to help them attain their social, emotional and academic goals regardless of their religious affiliation.

Administrators in the Taunton Public Schools have an open-door policy and a willingness to discuss and examine any parental concerns and/or actions taken by the teachers, administrators, and other staff. It is difficult for us to address issues when they originate in a media news story, and it is unfortunate that this is the path that was taken in this case. As with any issue involving a child, regardless of a parent’s choice to discuss it in the media, it is the school district’s responsibility to act first in the best interests of the student and family, which we will continue to do in this matter. We will not now, nor will we ever, compromise our obligation in this regard.

Forum List

Back