Massive Twister Hitting OKC

Most brick homes are just stick built with a brick layer on top. Might help in smaller tornados to block debris, in an F4, I doubt it. Concrete block homes might have walls standing, but the roof, windows, doors go and the suction would get ya most likely. A direct hit by an f4 is an incredible force

I will NEVER live in a home without a basement.

am I right when I have heard that even brick homes are no match for an F4 and higher? I am just curious if most homes along the path were toppled regardless of structure. Being a Floridian, pretty much most new homes here are built with cement/cylinder blocks.

once they lose the roof they become unstable

many homes are brick faced with a wood structure

This is what a 2 mile wide tornado looks like.

579371_574719242559433_654049715_n.jpg

Check out the farm on the lower left side. That is massive

I think Oklahoma and other Midwestern States need to mandate residents tornado proof their homes or build them up to a code which does such. If California can build it's structures to withstand earthquakes, they can easily find a way to make their buildings withstand a tornado.

I'm sure it would work!

and why would they even build wooden homes there knowing that someday they will lose it? just like building a home too close to the sea. Just look at storms that hit the northeast in modern times, so many homes wound up into the atlantic.

When they rebuild...and we all know they will...they better rebuild with some kind of fallout shelter IN THE SCHOOLS. The hospital had a basement...why didn't the schools? They had to hide in the halls while the place was squashed. Unreal.

This is what a 2 mile wide tornado looks like.

579371_574719242559433_654049715_n.jpg

Check out the farm on the lower left side. That is massive

I saw that. I never saw a real live tornado that size on TV before, not even on the Discovery Channel.

Tornadoes are like the fingers of God, they can either give rise to creation or put an end to it.

Last edited:
I hope they weren't building wooden homes cause it was 1/2 the price of a concrete one. never the less, you know that anyone who decides to stay and rebuild will likely go cement blocks/concrete.

am I right when I have heard that even brick homes are no match for an F4 and higher? I am just curious if most homes along the path were toppled regardless of structure. Being a Floridian, pretty much most new homes here are built with cement/cylinder blocks.

yep, an ef4 is 166- 200 mph. It looked like it could have been an ef5 possibly today which would be over 200 mph. Most cinder block homes are rated, if new construction, due to code, for up to a cat 3. or 4 which is up to 156 mph.

Last edited:
I've lived in tornado country most of my life. I can't say I've ever known schools closing because of thunderstorm/tornado weather.

Me too. They "train" for it. This was one bad a$$ monster.

Our farm was hit twice by them. Once at night, took a shed, killed a couple head of cattle. I was only 4, so I really don't remember it. The second was when I was 8, hit during the day, took a barn and some random damage. Us kids were at school. Had they called off school and we were home that day ????

They're too unpredictable. Nowdays, the schools are the shelters and the kids train for them. But it's all for show or false confidence if you get a direct hit. Everytime that tornado alert goes off it doesn't matter if they've trained or if the school is a shelter. It's all chance, right place at right time, numbers up? I don't know. This is the beginning of a bad year though, the winter on into today feels like one of those years. Hopefully, I'm totally wrong. And hopefully, they keep pulling those people out.

Hurricanes - warning to get out. Tornadoes - scary monsters

When they rebuild...and we all know they will...they better rebuild with some kind of fallout shelter IN THE SCHOOLS. The hospital had a basement...why didn't the schools? They had to hide in the halls while the place was squashed. Unreal.

when i was a kid

we had to practice tornado drills

we went to the halls and covered ourselves with a jacket if you had one

even though the school had a basement

but that was when we did not have so much advance notice

of a tornado

TheSeventhTiger, also homes newer homes here in south FLorida are supposed to have their roofs strapped down as well.

The Fujita Scale - According to Wikipedia

The Fujita scale (F-Scale), or Fujita–Pearson scale, is a scale for rating tornado intensity, based primarily on the damage tornadoes inflict on human-built structures and vegetation. The official Fujita scale category is determined by meteorologists and engineers after a ground or aerial damage survey, or both; and depending on the circumstances, ground-swirl patterns (cycloidal marks), radar tracking, eyewitness testimonies, media reports and damage imagery, as well as photogrammetry or videogrammetry if motion picture recording is available.

The scale was introduced in 1971 by Tetsuya Fujita of the University of Chicago, in collaboration with Allen Pearson, head of the National Severe Storms Forecast Center (currently the Storm Prediction Center). The scale was updated in 1973, taking into account path length and width. In the United States, starting in 1973, tornadoes were rated soon after occurrence. The Fujita scale was applied retroactively to tornadoes reported between 1950 and 1972 in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Tornado Database. Fujita rated tornadoes from 1916–1992[clarification needed] and Tom Grazulis of The Tornado Project retroactively rated all known significant tornadoes (F2–F5 or causing a fatality) in the U.S. back to 1880.
In 2007, the Fujita scale was updated, and the Enhanced Fujita Scale was introduced in the United States. The new scale more accurately matches wind speeds to the severity of damage caused by the tornado.
Though each damage level is associated with a wind speed, the Fujita scale is effectively a damage scale, and the wind speeds associated with the damage listed aren't rigorously verified. The Enhanced Fujita Scale was formulated due to research which suggested that the wind speeds required to inflict damage by intense tornadoes on the Fujita scale are greatly overestimated. A process of expert elicitation with top engineers and meteorologists resulted in the EF scale wind speeds, however, these are biased to United States construction practices. The EF scale also improved damage parameter descriptions.

To those interested in the science of the F-Scale, there is a brief explanation you might enjoy at the above link, but too long to add here.

This cell was pretty horrible.

I'm so sorry that Oklahoma City, which has had more than its share of human tragedy in my lifetime had yet one more horror added today and has two tense days more of activity expected in its general vicinity. My prayers for all concerned. :huddle:

when i was a kid

we had to practice tornado drills

we went to the halls and covered ourselves with a jacket if you had one

even though the school had a basement

but that was when we did not have so much advance notice

of a tornado

yep, same here.

Forum List

Back