McConnell Stuffs Coronavirus Bill Full Of Unrelated Goodies For Republicans

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
As I predicted, the Republicans in the Senate stuffed all kinds of goodies for their special interests in the $2 trillion re-election campaign slush fund.

Community banks are being granted their long-held wish of being freed to reduce the amount of capital they have to hold in reserve.

And for-profit colleges will be able to keep federal loan money from students who drop out because of the coronavirus.

Tucked into the largest bailout in United States history — a $2 trillion federal stimulus package agreed to by congressional leaders and the White House early Wednesday in an effort to reduce the economic devastation of the coronavirus outbreak — are a range of provisions that stand to benefit specific industries and interest groups.

But it turns out that the provision might not preclude funds from going to companies owned by the family of Mr. Trump’s son-in-law and White House adviser, Jared Kushner, while Mr. Trump’s companies would not be barred from benefiting from other elements of the bill intended to help broad swaths of American business.

<snip>

But its sheer size and the rushed way it was put together made it an irresistible target for lobbyists, who launched a frenzied effort to insert into the must-pass legislation provisions their clients wanted, some of which had a timely rationale and others of which were largely unconnected to the coronavirus crisis.

This lobbying push was unlike any other, as social distancing measures intended to limit the spread of the virus among lawmakers and their staffs left the Capitol eerily quiet. Lobbyists instead pressed their causes to staff members and lawmakers over the phone, or via email.

In the days and weeks leading up to the bill’s final draft, a number of industries have been floated—by themselves or by the Trump administration—as worthy bailout recipients, due to the challenging economic conditions of coronavirus-induced shutdown. Among those listed: the airline industry, Boeing, the cruise lines, the fossil fuel companies, and more.

What do these industries have in common? They operate in far-flung corners of the economy, some consumer-facing, some not so much. Some are represented by veritable armies of lobbyists, others seem to just be near and dear to the Trump administration’s heart. But one thing that they all share is a pioneering commitment to federal income tax evasion. All of the industries listed are among the country’s most decorated exploiters of tax loopholes, offshoring, and public subsidies. In healthy economic times, they contribute almost nothing in tax revenue; now, in crisis, they’re poised to be some of the biggest recipients of public funding.

As I predicted, the Republicans in the Senate stuffed all kinds of goodies for their special interests in the $2 trillion re-election campaign slush fund.

Community banks are being granted their long-held wish of being freed to reduce the amount of capital they have to hold in reserve.

And for-profit colleges will be able to keep federal loan money from students who drop out because of the coronavirus.

Tucked into the largest bailout in United States history — a $2 trillion federal stimulus package agreed to by congressional leaders and the White House early Wednesday in an effort to reduce the economic devastation of the coronavirus outbreak — are a range of provisions that stand to benefit specific industries and interest groups.
Comminity banks and for profit higher education scams is your big news?

how underwhelming

how underwhelming
Read the links, dipshit.

how underwhelming
Read the links, dipshit.
Thats what you chose to highlight

how underwhelming

Does this sound like emergency funding to you?

If they are going to criticize the Democrats for holding up passage of the legislation for a week so they could attempt to insert their pet projects, do you think it's right for the Republicans to take advantage of the same situation?

The GOP is every bit the “Party of Free Stuff” as the Democrats. The blind partisans will deny it, minimize it, and, circle the wagons, but that’s what they are trained to do.

how underwhelming

Does this sound like emergency funding to you?

If they are going to criticize the Democrats for holding up passage of the legislation for a week so they could attempt to insert their pet projects, do you think it's right for the Republicans to take advantage of the same situation?
Certainly not the for profit colleges which are flush with assets to begin with

but off hand I think the banks should have more capital in reserve not less

It's better than stuffing the bill with abortion and transgender bathrooms and other gay stuff

Abortion, transgender and gay stuff, I am so sick of republicans dwelling on it. People are free to live their life as they choose, now what you republicans and evangelicals choose for them.

It's better than stuffing the bill with abortion and transgender bathrooms and other gay stuff

Abortion, transgender and gay stuff, I am so sick of republicans dwelling on it. People are free to live their life as they choose, now what you republicans and evangelicals choose for them.
I am not a republican.....I just think abortion and tranny rights shouldn't be in the bill -- and I am glad Trump stopped Pelosi from putting it there

I am not a republican.....I just think abortion and tranny rights shouldn't be in the bill -- and I am glad Trump stopped Pelosi from putting it there

I doubt it was ever in it.

This is disgusting. Leave it to republicans to do more harm to our nation.

Banks should never be allowed to decrease the money they have in reserve.

No school should be able to keep tuition when the student wasn't able to take the class or complete the class. I don't care if the school is public or private.

All of those provisions are disgusting and shouldn't be in there.

Here's the full article for those who can't read it on the NY Times site.

How quickly you've forgotten the Democrats doing the same damn thing, with items that had absolutely NO business to do with stimulus or the emergency in anyway.

Personally I don't think there should be any such riders included in this or any other covid related bill, from either side. Right now we need to only address this.

Although it would also depend on the full text of the Banks & colleges parts...if it is a result of or could help in some way from the virus or panic from it...….then maybe. But the Dems pushing for abortion rights has the least if anything, to do with this emergency

How quickly you've forgotten the Democrats doing the same damn thing, with items that had absolutely NO business to do with stimulus or the emergency in anyway.
No, I did not forget. Look at the topic with the same title except it has "Pelosi" and "Democrats".

You will see I predicted in that topic that when the bill got the Senate the Republicans would stuff it full of THEIR goodies.

TA-DAAAAAAAA!

Well this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Moscow Mitch McTurtle likely arranged a sweet kickback for his buddy Oleg Deripaska to repay him for that shiny new aluminum plant he built in KY as repayment for killing sanctions and trashing election security.

moscowmitch-billboard.jpg

I doubt it was ever in it.

It was and was pointed out in another thread of the millions going on this board...…...and IIRC, you were part of one such thread and may have even been shown that it was...….so your denial of it shows your partisan blind eye to see only what you want to see

Forum List

Back