McDonalds cashier requirements

These are the top ten countries with the supposedly 'best' education systems in the world:

Finland
South Korea
Hong Kong
Japan
Singapore
UK
Netherlands
New Zealand
Switzerland
Canada

All of them are much smaller countries, as far as population, than the US. Most of them are also very homogenous populations. Both of those things make it much easier to educate young people.

I don't know exactly how the UK got in this list, but I have a fairly good idea. I don't think it belongs there because I am quite familiar with the UK and the results of their education system in the sense of knowing very well many, many people from the UK and traveling there extensively.

I also know some very specific things about the education system and goals in the UK. In the UK system of education, students are taught to pass tests, not to be 'educated,' not in the sense of developing their intellect, developing their minds, being creative and critical thinkers, etc. Once they have passed those tests, most of that 'knowledge' is forgotten. That is what standardized testing is all about. It is not an indicator of how well developed one's mind is but how well one has been taught to pass a test.

I would not want my child to go to an average school in the UK anymore than I would want him or her to go to an average public school in the US. They simply are not any better in the UK, other than that they are better at cramming information down the kids' throats so they can do well on exams.

The problem with eduation in the US is not about money, it is about social problems. Schools expend about 50% of their energy, effort and money dealing with social problems rather than on actually educating the children. That is the problem that needs to be dealt with.

Last edited:
These are the top twenty countries with the supposedly 'best' education systems in the world:

Finland
South Korea
Hong Kong
Japan
Singapore
UK
Netherlands
New Zealand
Switzerland
Canada

All of them are much small countries, as far as population, than the US. Most of them are also very homogenous populations. Both of those things make it much easier to educate young people.

I don't know exactly how the UK got in this list, but I have a fairly good idea. I don't think it belongs there because I am quite familiar with the UK and the results of their education system in the sense of knowing very well many, many people from the UK and traveling there extensively.

I also know some very specific things about the education system and goals in the UK. In the UK system of education, students are taught to pass tests, not to be 'educated,' not in the sense of developing their intellect, developing their minds, being creative and critical thinkers, etc. Once they have passed those tests, most of that 'knowledge' is forgotten. That is what standardized testing is all about. It is not an indicator of how well developed one's mind is but how well one has been taught to pass a test.

I would not want my child to go to an average school in the UK anymore than I would want him or her to go to an average public school in the US. They simply are not any better in the UK, other than that they are better at cramming information down the kids' throats so they can do well on exams.

The problem with eduation in the US is not about money, it is about social problems. Schools expend about 50% of their energy, effort and money dealing with social problems rather than on actually educating the children. That is the problem that needs to be dealt with.

Do you notice what most of those countries have in common?

By the way, that ranking is not for colleges.

These are the top twenty countries with the supposedly 'best' education systems in the world:

Finland
South Korea
Hong Kong
Japan
Singapore
UK
Netherlands
New Zealand
Switzerland
Canada

All of them are much small countries, as far as population, than the US. Most of them are also very homogenous populations. Both of those things make it much easier to educate young people.

Do you notice what most of those countries have in common?

By the way, that ranking is not for colleges.

I know that ranking is not for colleges. Of course.

What is it you think they all have in common?

This thread is funny....Even if the story was true its stupid that any corporate owned fast food joint would require a Bachelors degree to be a cashier. I mean to count money using basic arithmetic? Really?

Spoon -

For me it is all about outcomes and value for money. I have 0 interest in the politics of the issue - I just want to see the best education delivered for the best price.

Newsweek ranks Finland #1 in the world in education, so I would say our model might be worth looking at with an open mind.

As far as I am aware, the schools throughout the world which are rated best: they are given this rating based on standarized tests. I do not believe that standardized testing in a true indication of the quality of education students have recieved. Results, imo, are what students are able to do with their education, in the long run. Something which is far more difficult to assess. General knowledge a good thing indeed, but a well developed mind, a creative and critical thinker, a person who remains a life long learner, etc., those things are far more important than the results of a standardized test. The life accomplishments, the span and quality of a person's intellectual development, those are the things that indicate how well educated a person is.

The problem with public education is the absence of critical thought and the restrictions on non conformity.

Spoon -

It could be argued that ALL education promotes a certain conformity of behaviour - but a good school of any form should be able to channel students' energies into creative areas. It is hard for a teacher to allow a student to 'express himself' by playing guitar in maths class, whilst encouraging free expression.

Critical thought is something all schools should promote - but they also need to ensure kids leave school being able to read, write and add up numbers. I sometimes think the basics have been abandoned in favour of too much time spent on 'cultural studies'.

These are the top ten countries with the supposedly 'best' education systems in the world:

Finland
South Korea
Hong Kong
Japan
Singapore
UK
Netherlands
New Zealand
Switzerland
Canada

All of them are much smaller countries, as far as population, than the US. Most of them are also very homogenous populations. Both of those things make it much easier to educate young people.

And not one of those countries you listed has the illegal immigration problem the United States has, nor are they forced to educate the numbers of illegals who are in their country on the same magnitude as the American Taxpayer does.

This thread is funny....Even if the story was true its stupid that any corporate owned fast food joint would require a Bachelors degree to be a cashier. I mean to count money using basic arithmetic? Really?

There are a few companies that require all their employees to have a degree, even the guy in the mailroom.

There are a few companies that require all their employees to have a degree, even the guy in the mailroom.

I can barely get a job with the county with my masters. The only company I know that hires college students are rental companies and hospitals

Forum List

Back