Michigan Unemployment

saveliberty

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2009
I am a corporation with one employee (me) in the State of Michigan. As such I get to pay unemployment tax. You pay in quarterly and fill out a form online. Problems abound:

1. It is a part time business, but I want the protection a corporation affords. I will NEVER make a claim on any of the money I pay in. My primary employer would.

2. I do not pay myself in the first two quarters for several reasons. The online form I fill out ask for wages and how many employees in each month. First two quarters are no wages, but one employee. WRONG! You have no employees if there are no wages according to the state. They send you a letter and if it is not resolved quickly enough they fine me $50. In a quarter I have no liability. Awesome.

By the way, if you put zero employees in, they send you a letter asking clarification on is your business active or closing. Ironically, I am trying to be completely legal by paying myself wages and not operating under the table. Way to support business Michigan!

Sounds like a phone call or a FTF conversation with someone are in order. Surely, you are not the only person in Michigan in a similar situation.

Alternatively, you could lay yourself off, collect unemployment, then start a union, negotiate with yourself and...

Wait. That probably wouldn't work.

I am going to check the implications of just delisting as a corporation and go with a DBA. Chatting with my insurance agent is on the agenda. Michigan confuses using a computer interface with improving the business climate.

Forum List

Back