Military plane crash

the investigation has begun...it begins the minute they get to the crash site....we are merely arm chair quarterbacks....empty vessels making noise

Who pissed in your cornflakes?...
You did:
You don't think someone would notice an aircraft missing somewhere?

You're jumping on the bandwagon that the reason the plane crashed was because Obama used to be President. That's bullshit. The accident is still being investigated. To jump to conclusions, much less stand on the bodies of 16 Marines, is reprehensible. The reports indicate a debris field spread over several miles which indicates an in-flight breakup. A midair would be one cause of such a breakup. So would a major mechanical malfunction or, as strollingbones reported, an explosion. None of these things is related to who was President or who is President.
To be fair, I don't think Rockwell was the one accusing Former President Obama....it was the OP...who never served a day in his life.

You did:

You're jumping on the bandwagon that the reason the plane crashed was because Obama used to be President. That's bullshit. The accident is still being investigated. To jump to conclusions, much less stand on the bodies of 16 Marines, is reprehensible. The reports indicate a debris field spread over several miles which indicates an in-flight breakup. A midair would be one cause of such a breakup. So would a major mechanical malfunction or, as strollingbones reported, an explosion. None of these things is related to who was President or who is President.

Please try reading it again SLOWLY and you will see where your bullshit starts and stops.

I did not say a damn thing that you are accusing me of saying about Obama. Not one word!

Reading is fundamental. I suggest you try it!

Please try reading it again SLOWLY and you will see where your bullshit starts and stops...
I'll be happy to take that challenge if you agree to do the same.

Do you fly? Do you think the loss of an ultralight or C-140 would immediately be noticed? You jumped to the conclusion that it wasn't a mid-air based solely on the assumption that a second aircraft wasn't reported missing. I called you on that rash assumption and you got your BVDs in a twist.

You did:

To be fair, I don't think Rockwell was the one accusing Former President Obama....it was the OP...who never served a day in his life.
Thanks. He quickly dismissed the possibility the accident was caused by a mid-air. My mistake if that dismissal made me think he was jumping on any particular bandwagon....but I remain curious why he dismissed the possibility so quickly without evidence.

Admiral, read this article. Two heard an explosion and one of them saw a parachute. It's just weird.
Eyewitnesses describe horrifying sight of Marine plane crashing
A brief moment of hope came and went when an orange and white parachute could be seen floating in the sky, Nobile said.

"We’d been at the crash site for 15 to 20 minutes, and I don’t know who saw it first, but it was a couple miles up in the air," he said. "It was drifting so slow and so high, if it had had any weight on it at all it would have come down faster."

That parachute came to rest on the bank of one of his catfish ponds, Nobile said, roughly six miles from the scene of the crash.

Follow Therese Apel on Twitter: @TRex21

You did:

Please try reading it again SLOWLY and you will see where your bullshit starts and stops.

I did not say a damn thing that you are accusing me of saying about Obama. Not one word!

Reading is fundamental. I suggest you try it!

Please try reading it again SLOWLY and you will see where your bullshit starts and stops...
I'll be happy to take that challenge if you agree to do the same.

Do you fly? Do you think the loss of an ultralight or C-140 would immediately be noticed? You jumped to the conclusion that it wasn't a mid-air based solely on the assumption that a second aircraft wasn't reported missing. I called you on that rash assumption and you got your BVDs in a twist.

If an ultralight was flying at 20,000 feet I think someone would have noticed the impossibility.

I have to agree on the C-140. Since they were retired years ago, I don't think they would be missed. That begs the question what it was doing up there.

If you have no indication that another aircraft is present, you sort have to assume that it didn't collide with an visible wall in the sky.

I stated that I would wait for the report.

Now, go rinse out your bowl and pour yourself some more cornflakes.

Admiral, read this article. Two heard an explosion and one of them saw a parachute. It's just weird.
A brief moment of hope came and went when an orange and white parachute could be seen floating in the sky, Nobile said.

"We’d been at the crash site for 15 to 20 minutes, and I don’t know who saw it first, but it was a couple miles up in the air," he said. "It was drifting so slow and so high, if it had had any weight on it at all it would have come down faster."

That parachute came to rest on the bank of one of his catfish ponds, Nobile said, roughly six miles from the scene of the crash.

I find it amazing in these days of cell phones that no one has come forth with photos. The whole thing is weird.

Why would a plane be loaded with ammo departing from a base in TN?

I am sure we will find out one of these days.

If an ultralight was flying at 20,000 feet I think someone would have noticed the impossibility.

I have to agree on the C-140. Since they were retired years ago, I don't think they would be missed. That begs the question what it was doing up there.

If you have no indication that another aircraft is present, you sort have to assume that it didn't collide with an visible wall in the sky.

Now at least you are trying to inject some facts into the discussion. A link, please, to your 20,000' claim.

FWIW, yes, it'd be highly unusual for a UL to be at 20,000' (not to mention illegal), but not impossible.

FAQ Falcons
"A Falcon UL still claims the altitude record of 26,900'"

The point being is that I've seen very few facts presented on this thread, too many unsubstantiated opinions and far too many people willing to stand on the bodies of American heroes to push a political agenda....a fact you don't seem to have a problem with compared to your conniption over my post.

Meanwhile, in the "just the facts, m'am" category:
Mississippi Marine plane crash left 2 impact sites, general says - CNN.com
"The KC-130T aircraft that crashed in western Mississippi this week, killing all 16 troops on board, left two "large impact areas," Marines Brig. Gen. Bradley James said Wednesday.

It's not clear how far apart the sites are, but one lies about a half-mile north of US 82 and the other a half-mile south of the highway.

"Indications are something went wrong at cruise altitude," the general said.....
"

"The crash left a debris field with a radius of about 5 miles, authorities said. Jones told CNN that there were bodies on the opposite side of US 82 from the main crash site.

CNN aviation analyst Mary Schiavo said that given the two distinct impact points and that the debris is spread out over several miles, it leads her to believe the plane experienced a catastrophic event -- perhaps an engine or propeller breaking off -- that caused the plane to come apart midair.

"That means an in-flight breakup," the former inspector general for the US Department of Transportation said. "That's really rare...."
"

Unfortunately, I haven't found a factual reference on what "cruise altitude" the C-130 was flying at the time of the accident.

I find it amazing in these days of cell phones that no one has come forth with photos. The whole thing is weird.

They may have taken a photo, but a picture of an aircraft from a couple of miles away spiraling into ground trailing smoke looks like a dot with a thin white line behind it.

Although reports say the aircraft had ammo on it, that doesn't mean it was full of ammo. Just enough for the small unit exercise would be enough to cause some explosions as the aircraft burned.

"Six Marines and a sailor from an elite unit based at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, were aboard the KC-130T when it went down, the Marine Corps said. The other nine Marines on board were from Orange County, New York, County Executive Steve Neuhaus said. Orange County is home to Stewart Air National Guard Base in Newburgh.

The flight departed from a Marine Corps Air Station in Cherry Point, North Carolina, and was transporting nine Marines and their equipment to Naval Air Facility El Centro, California.

The plane, which belonged to a Marine refueling and transport squadron, was then scheduled to take the Camp Lejeune-based troops, along with their equipment, to Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Arizona, for "routine small unit pre-deployment training," the Marine Corps said. The seven belonged to the 2nd Marine Raider Battalion."

Now at least you are trying to inject some facts into the discussion. A link, please, to your 20,000' claim.

FWIW, yes, it'd be highly unusual for a UL to be at 20,000' (not to mention illegal), but not impossible.

FAQ Falcons

The point being is that I've seen very few facts presented on this thread, too many unsubstantiated opinions and far too many people willing to stand on the bodies of American heroes to push a political agenda....a fact you don't seem to have a problem with compared to your conniption over my post.

"The KC-130T aircraft that crashed in western Mississippi this week, killing all 16 troops on board, left two "large impact areas," Marines Brig. Gen. Bradley James said Wednesday.

It's not clear how far apart the sites are, but one lies about a half-mile north of US 82 and the other a half-mile south of the highway.

"Indications are something went wrong at cruise altitude," the general said.....
"

"The crash left a debris field with a radius of about 5 miles, authorities said. Jones told CNN that there were bodies on the opposite side of US 82 from the main crash site.

CNN aviation analyst Mary Schiavo said that given the two distinct impact points and that the debris is spread out over several miles, it leads her to believe the plane experienced a catastrophic event -- perhaps an engine or propeller breaking off -- that caused the plane to come apart midair.

"That means an in-flight breakup," the former inspector general for the US Department of Transportation said. "That's really rare...."
"

Unfortunately, I haven't found a factual reference on what "cruise altitude" the C-130 was flying at the time of the accident.

The Associated Press and CBS News reported that an official with the local Greenwood Airport said the KC-130 suffered a structural failure while flying at 20,000 feet altitude

UPDATED: Marine Corps KC-130T Crashes In Mississippi, Killing 16 Service Members, Including MARSOC Personnel - USNI News

They may have taken a photo, but a picture of an aircraft from a couple of miles away spiraling into ground trailing smoke looks like a dot with a thin white line behind it.

Although reports say the aircraft had ammo on it, that doesn't mean it was full of ammo. Just enough for the small unit exercise would be enough to cause some explosions as the aircraft burned.

"Six Marines and a sailor from an elite unit based at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, were aboard the KC-130T when it went down, the Marine Corps said. The other nine Marines on board were from Orange County, New York, County Executive Steve Neuhaus said. Orange County is home to Stewart Air National Guard Base in Newburgh.

The flight departed from a Marine Corps Air Station in Cherry Point, North Carolina, and was transporting nine Marines and their equipment to Naval Air Facility El Centro, California.

The plane, which belonged to a Marine refueling and transport squadron, was then scheduled to take the Camp Lejeune-based troops, along with their equipment, to Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Arizona, for "routine small unit pre-deployment training," the Marine Corps said. The seven belonged to the 2nd Marine Raider Battalion."

To me it is amazing how the initial reports were so wildly wrong.

Obviously you know less about flying than being an Admiral in the United States Navy.

Scroll up; the altitude record for an ultralight is 26,900'.

As for C-140s, plenty are still flying along with C-120s, Taylorcraft BD-12Ds, Luscombes and, of course, Piper J-3s.

Cessna Aircraft For Sale | New and Used Cessna Airplanes at Barnstormers.com

Cessna 140: The Last of Cessna’s Little Taildraggers
Cessna 120s and 140s were that company’s answer to the imagined post-war boom in private aircraft. The 120, intended as a bare-bones trainer, was essentially a budget version of the 140 with no flaps, rear side windows, or electrical system in the initial iteration. The ragwing 140 and its later all-metal version, the 140A, were built from 1946 through 1950. Collectively, there were just under 7700 Cessna 120s and 140s built, about 300 of which are still flying.

To me it is amazing how the initial reports were so wildly wrong.
Something we can agree upon, especially when reported by non-aviation civilian reporters.

To them, when the engine quits on an airplane, it becomes a rock, not a glider. "The engine stalled causing the airplane to crash" is seen far too often in newspapers.

FAQ Falcons

"

"

The Associated Press and CBS News reported that an official with the local Greenwood Airport said the KC-130 suffered a structural failure while flying at 20,000 feet altitude

UPDATED: Marine Corps KC-130T Crashes In Mississippi, Killing 16 Service Members, Including MARSOC Personnel - USNI News
Thanks for the link. ATC radar tapes and transcripts will verify their assigned altitude and flight profile during cruise and after it began to descend.

Another report noted two distinct crash sites. You already noted pictures of the main site indicated a (mostly) intact aircraft so the second site probably contains whatever broke off; an engine, elevator, wing portion, etc.

Obviously you know less about flying than being an Admiral in the United States Navy.

As for C-140s, plenty are still flying along with C-120s, Taylorcraft BD-12Ds, Luscombes and, of course, Piper J-3s.

Cessna 120s and 140s were that company’s answer to the imagined post-war boom in private aircraft. The 120, intended as a bare-bones trainer, was essentially a budget version of the 140 with no flaps, rear side windows, or electrical system in the initial iteration. The ragwing 140 and its later all-metal version, the 140A, were built from 1946 through 1950. Collectively, there were just under 7700 Cessna 120s and 140s built, about 300 of which are still flying.

Pardon me, but you said C-140. The C-140 is a military aircraft, the Lockheed Jetstar, not a Cessna 140.

Lockheed JetStar - Wikipedia

When you get your shit together, we'll talk.

The plane was being tracked by air traffic controllers in Memphis, Tennessee, Begnaud reports. At 20,000 feet, it suffered a catastrophic failure, plunging out of the sky. As it started to fall, the plane went radio silent.

U.S. Marine Corps KC-130 crash details released by military
KC-130 Military Plane Crash in Mississippi: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
Mississippi Marine plane crash: Engine found, sheriff says - CNN.com

FAQ Falcons

"

"

Pardon me, but you said C-140. The C-140 is a military aircraft, the Lockheed Jetstar, not a Cessna 140.

Lockheed JetStar - Wikipedia

When you get your shit together, we'll talk.
You assumed. Get over it.

The discussion was regarding a midair with an aircraft that wasn't missed. GA aircraft would be in that category, not business, commercial or military aircraft on an IFR flight plan.

The plane was being tracked by air traffic controllers in Memphis, Tennessee, Begnaud reports. At 20,000 feet, it suffered a catastrophic failure, plunging out of the sky. As it started to fall, the plane went radio silent.

KC-130 Military Plane Crash in Mississippi: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
Thanks for the link. On the part "As it started to fall, the plane went radio silent", that's a common error in news reporting. Aircraft can go for several minutes without radio communications when in IFR flight and hours if VFR. Most importantly, reporters seem to think the first thing pilots should do when something goes wrong is to scream for help on the radio. The truth is the opposite, it's the last thing they do. Part of Flight 101 is "Aviate, Navigate, Communicate", always in that order. It's not unusual that there were no communications from the aircraft since they'd be busy trying to save it.

New, they had actually had contact with air traffic control.

Engine from Mississippi Marine plane crash found, sheriff says
CNN-1 hour ago
This means "there is a high probability" the plane experienced a catastrophe when it disappeared from radar, according to the official.

Greenwood air traffic control worker describes moments before military plane crash went down
LEFLORE COUNTY, Miss. - Cecil Womble spends his work days on the top floor of an air traffic control tower, looking over the tarmac at a small airport in Greenwood, Mississippi.

Womble was one of the first people to learn that the C-130 plane carrying a sailor and 15 marines was in trouble.
“Memphis center called me and said they were talking to a C-130 and lost contact with them,” Womble told FOX13. “They couldn’t get in touch with them.”

Related Headlines

KC-130 Military Plane Crash in Mississippi: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
Thanks for the link. On the part "As it started to fall, the plane went radio silent", that's a common error in news reporting. Aircraft can go for several minutes without radio communications when in IFR flight and hours if VFR. Most importantly, reporters seem to think the first thing pilots should do when something goes wrong is to scream for help on the radio. The truth is the opposite, it's the last thing they do. Part of Flight 101 is "Aviate, Navigate, Communicate", always in that order. It's not unusual that there were no communications from the aircraft since they'd be busy trying to save it.

Forum List

Back