🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Minneapolis City Council votes to abolish the police dept. and replace it with a community-led public safety system

Camden has a population of around 74,000 Minneapolis is about 5 times that number and a much larger metropolitan area. Currently, I doubt that the Hennepin County police are anywhere near able to start policing Minneapolis, but more importantly, what difference will it make? So what if the cop was wearing a city police uniform on Friday and a county police union on Monday? As long as the police union is there, IMHO there won't be any change to misconduct cases.

Also, where would the money come from to pay for extra police? When Camden disbanded their police force they ended up with more cops than they had before. So who paid the bill for those cops? Some of it came from savings in personnel costs when the union went away, it terms of drastically reduced benefits and the cost per cop was almost cut it half. And the rest of it came from the state of New Jersey, I wonder how the rest of Minnesota feels about spending their state tax dollars to police Minneapolis.

Good. Let's make it a test case. See how it goes.
I thought Camden had already done the test case and made it work, with big drop in crime. Doesn't mean it will work in Minneapolis, but doesn't mean it can't. Those people have to put their idea into action, make it work or try something else. I wish them luck.

Camden's murder rate was so high that it was bound to fall no matter what. Too few potential victims remained.
I read it was pretty bad there. I think the article said crime had dropped by 70-something percent in that black majority city. Kind of doubt they are running out of victims, but don't really know much about the place, except the one article, when I started looking into this defunding / disbanding thing. Even the people involved said what was done there may not be transferable to other places, as situations, racial make up, culture and other things come into play. I wish both cities well and just hope my own town never lets standards of professional accountability and force culture lead to it having to be considered here.

They added more police in Camden, not fewer.

At the time, the cop cartel had pumped up average annual costs per officer (including extraordinarily generous fringe benefits) to $182,168. At that monopoly price, poor Camden could afford to employ just 175 cops, and during peak nighttime crime hours only a dozen might be on patrol.

But laying off the union cops and then rehiring many as county employees reduced costs to $99,605 per officer, enabling lots of new hires while keeping total expenditures roughly the same. Within a couple of years, Camden’s force exceeded 400 — a little over 50 cops per 10,000 residents, about triple the national average for similarly sized cities.​

Hmmm, sometimes going for the cheaper scenarios, and the cheaper anything can lead to less quality officers etc, otherwise that might become more corruptible than the ones seeing themselves worth the more money and benefits. It's up to management to make sure that they are getting the best candidates for the dollars spent. If management is crap, then the whole organization will most likely be crap. Have to have great leadership.

Another problem is this - Have you ever seen those employee's that move up the ladder, and you thought to yourself no way, because they were ace kissing pieces of crap that would sell their own mother out if it would get'em somewhere ??? Well way to much of that bullcrap has gone on over the years, where as the end result would end up getting us these individuals who do nothing but talk out of both sides of their mouths, will stab you in the back, destroy everyone that is needed just as long as it makes them win.

My mom had a trooper talk to her (75 years old), like she was a bank robber because she wasn't wearing her seat belt. Kidding me right ?

Where did character, and the investigation into ones character (before hiring them or promoting them), get lost in all of this mess that is going on today ?????

I would rather have someone with character, than 200 LEO's with degrees from college or especially I wouldn't want to hire those and/or promote those who are the best ace kisser's in life or to hire those who can charm up to the boss the best or to hire anyone who might end up being some of the most corruptible people ever.

Character folks, CHARACTER.

How many businesses do you think will want to stay in Seattle or Minneapolis? Who the hell is going to police the Vikings or Seahawks games? Traffic, crowd control? Are you telling me that sociologists are going to step in and get that job done? AYFKM? I sure as hell wouldn't want anything to do with those idiotic cities now.

Interesting times.
(Reuters) - The Minneapolis City Council on Friday unanimously passed a resolution to pursue a community-led public safety system to replace the police department following the death of George Floyd at the hands of the city’s police.
What does the mayor say? Bet he bitch slaps every one of those on the city council

They added more police in Camden, not fewer.

At the time, the cop cartel had pumped up average annual costs per officer (including extraordinarily generous fringe benefits) to $182,168. At that monopoly price, poor Camden could afford to employ just 175 cops, and during peak nighttime crime hours only a dozen might be on patrol.​
But laying off the union cops and then rehiring many as county employees reduced costs to $99,605 per officer, enabling lots of new hires while keeping total expenditures roughly the same. Within a couple of years, Camden’s force exceeded 400 — a little over 50 cops per 10,000 residents, about triple the national average for similarly sized cities.​

That's all true EXCEPT for the shape they are in today. The police reformed and voted for a union so they are now unionized which is what drove the salaries so high in the past.

Camden has a ‘severe’ revenue problem, and N.J. tax-break projects aren’t helping, internal report says
by Catherine Dunn and Andrew Seidman, Updated: July 11, 2019
[...]
Camden depends more on state aid than any other “seriously distressed” city in New Jersey. For its $208.7 million 2019 budget, the city received $123 million in state aid. Compared with that figure, the report projects that Camden will need a nearly 50 percent increase in state aid by 2024.
Camden's Reliance on State Aid
Because 60 percent of Camden real estate is tax-exempt, local-services taxes only make up 13.5 percent of the city's budget. Camden also relies on state aid for about 60 percent of its budget. Both figures are outliers compared with other distressed New Jersey cities that are dependent on state aid for budget stability.

Meanwhile, spending on Metro Police is nearly one-third (32.8 percent) of the city’s total budget, and has a “profound impact" on the city’s poor fiscal health, according to the analysis. The report notes that violent crime in Camden has fallen “markedly” since 2013, when the city’s old police force was disbanded and Metro Police, a division of the Camden County Police Department, was formed.

But as Camden’s police budget continues to increase 2 percent per year – and adds $2.4 million per year in “indirect costs" – its growth “compels the contraction of other vital city departments and services,” the report said.

Camden budgeted $68.45 million this year for police, compared with the $44.72 million police budget in Paterson, which has nearly double the population.

Camden%20NJ%202020-06-16-M.jpg

How many businesses do you think will want to stay in Seattle or Minneapolis? Who the hell is going to police the Vikings or Seahawks games? Traffic, crowd control? Are you telling me that sociologists are going to step in and get that job done? AYFKM? I sure as hell wouldn't want anything to do with those idiotic cities now.
and if / when one of these "social officers" screws up - who do they sue? the person? the city?

The more these dipshit Democrat governors and mayors keep these Protests and lockdowns going, the more money they lose and the harder they will beg for bailout money in the end. Democrats are the dumbest mofos on the planet.

I thought Camden had already done the test case and made it work, with big drop in crime. Doesn't mean it will work in Minneapolis, but doesn't mean it can't. Those people have to put their idea into action, make it work or try something else. I wish them luck.
Camden did what a lot of communities do, they disbanded the city police force to contract with a county police force. What Minneapolis is proposing is to disband their police force in favor of community activism.

Interesting times.
(Reuters) - The Minneapolis City Council on Friday unanimously passed a resolution to pursue a community-led public safety system to replace the police department following the death of George Floyd at the hands of the city’s police.
Which means the Dems are standing up their own gestapo. Can you imagine SJWs with badges? That’s what these sycophants want.

Lets start by removing armed police protection for all the elected officials in minnapolis and replace them with unarmed social workers

Camden did what a lot of communities do, they disbanded the city police force to contract with a county police force. What Minneapolis is proposing is to disband their police force in favor of community activism.
Good luck with that. Ha Ha Ha, Some people's kids, eh?

Forum List

Back