MW advocates - what are the downsides of minimum wage?

And neither compensates a business owner for increased labor costs. Not even sure why you brought it up. It's irrelevant.
So you are seriously claiming that if a business owner has to pay say 400k in wages for his employees and gets to write it off thats not compensation? Have you been drug tested recently?

Yeah, it doesn't work that way. Do you do your own taxes?
Nope. My accountant does it and I write off my employees wages.

Great, then you should consult with your accountant.
Already did. He like the link I provided told me it reduces your taxable income.

He gave you good info, although a write off would have reduced it further.

So you are seriously claiming that if a business owner has to pay say 400k in wages for his employees and gets to write it off thats not compensation? Have you been drug tested recently?

Yeah, it doesn't work that way. Do you do your own taxes?
Nope. My accountant does it and I write off my employees wages.

Great, then you should consult with your accountant.
Already did. He like the link I provided told me it reduces your taxable income.

He gave you good info, although a write off would have reduced it further.
Thats what I got. A write off.

The ripple effect would be huge. Everyone making $11-$12/hr, for instance, would also demand a raise because all of a sudden they would only be making a little above minimum and all their skill, training and experience wouldn't get them much more than a guy of the street sweeping floors. Many pharmacy techs, for example, make $10-$12/hr, have to be trained and licensed, and we trust them with our medications.
Thats demonstrably false. People get paid just enough not quit right now and they dont demand a raise because someone else will gladly take their job.

Demonstrate it. I believe people will not pursue a career that requires training and technical expertise if they earn just a little more than MW. Why would they put time and effort into training courses, passing a licensing exam, and annual continuing education, for one example, to earn $11/hour when they can earn $10/hour with no experience or training doing a less demanding job?

Convince me.
That doesnt make sense. I dont know any position that requires licensing and continuing education that only makes $10/hr. If such a position did exist they would do it simply because it brought them some satisfaction with or without MW being raised.

Check out what your local EMT's make.
EMTs at entry level where I lives start off....

Also like I said EMTs target their jobs because it brings them some satisfaction and paves the road to other things like being a fire fighter.

The ripple effect would be huge. Everyone making $11-$12/hr, for instance, would also demand a raise because all of a sudden they would only be making a little above minimum and all their skill, training and experience wouldn't get them much more than a guy of the street sweeping floors. Many pharmacy techs, for example, make $10-$12/hr, have to be trained and licensed, and we trust them with our medications.
Thats demonstrably false. People get paid just enough not quit right now and they dont demand a raise because someone else will gladly take their job.

Demonstrate it. I believe people will not pursue a career that requires training and technical expertise if they earn just a little more than MW. Why would they put time and effort into training courses, passing a licensing exam, and annual continuing education, for one example, to earn $11/hour when they can earn $10/hour with no experience or training doing a less demanding job?

Convince me.
That doesnt make sense. I dont know any position that requires licensing and continuing education that only makes $10/hr. If such a position did exist they would do it simply because it brought them some satisfaction with or without MW being raised.

Also like I said EMTs target their jobs because it brings them some satisfaction and paves the road to other things like being a fire fighter.

They should be payed MUCH more.

Convince me.

Convince me.

They should be payed MUCH more.
When you consider their value I agree with you. The problem is that there are about a million of them and the do it primarily for the thrill of saving lives.

How much will inflation go up after they have to give me and every other worker above minimum wage another $4.00 an hour raise to keep my pay in line?

How silly. First of all, sorry you're only earning minimum wage, second of all, a small portion of wage earners are and would thus receive a $4 an hour raise. Most people are already around the $9-10 range (lower end workers we're talking about) and thus would receive at most a $2 an hour raise, and that is if we immediately raised it to the correct level, which I haven't advocated.

So people making $9 an hour would get a raise to make minimum wage

Convince me.
Exactly

Forces employers to raise their pay scale
Won’t do so otherwise

Employers have sat on their wallets the last decade

Time to pay up

How silly. First of all, sorry you're only earning minimum wage, second of all, a small portion of wage earners are and would thus receive a $4 an hour raise. Most people are already around the $9-10 range (lower end workers we're talking about) and thus would receive at most a $2 an hour raise, and that is if we immediately raised it to the correct level, which I haven't advocated.

Convince me.
Exactly

Won’t do so otherwise

How so it's trickle down poor.

Convince me.

Pharmacy technicians can expect to be paid anywhere from $9-$12/hr in most retail pharmacies, and to be a pharmacy tech, you must first show that you have gone through an approved training course and pass an exam. Then, to maintain your certification, you must regularly earn continuing education credits. You can earn higher pay if you get into a long term care (non retail) pharmacy or if you get specialized certifications. My wife did all of those in her career, so I have close knowledge of the industry. She also taught pharmacy tech classes at a career college. Without those extra efforts, she would have been stuck at a much lower pay rate.

At least one of the students she taught faced just that situation. He spent a lot of money (and time) to get his education, then took and passed the exam, only to find his best paying offer was around $11-$12/hr. Do you really think he would have bothered with all that if he could have swept floors for $10/hr and maybe worked up from there?

Convince me.
Exactly

Won’t do so otherwise

Which in turn raises prices for medications, which hurts the poor and those on a fixed income the most. Grandma now has to choose to keep the heat on and eat or pay inflated prices for her meds because the techs at the pharmacy got big raises. Way to go.

Convince me.

Pharmacy technicians can expect to be paid anywhere from $9-$12/hr in most retail pharmacies, and to be a pharmacy tech, you must first show that you have gone through an approved training course and pass an exam. Then, to maintain your certification, you must regularly earn continuing education credits. You can earn higher pay if you get into a long term care (non retail) pharmacy or if you get specialized certifications. My wife did all of those in her career, so I have close knowledge of the industry. She also taught pharmacy tech classes at a career college. Without those extra efforts, she would have been stuck at a much lower pay rate.

At least one of the students she taught faced just that situation. He spent a lot of money (and time) to get his education, then took and passed the exam, only to find his best paying offer was around $11-$12/hr. Do you really think he would have bothered with all that if he could have swept floors for $10/hr and maybe worked up from there?
Like I said...it makes zero sense. Why would someone go to a job sweeping floors when they can be a pharmacy tech and work their way up from there?

Convince me.
Exactly

Won’t do so otherwise

Which in turn raises prices for medications, which hurts the poor and those on a fixed income the most. Grandma now has to choose to keep the heat on and eat or pay inflated prices for her meds because the techs at the pharmacy got big raises. Way to go.
Cut me a fucking break
It is pure greed driving up medications not minimum wage

Employers have sat on their wallets the last decade

Time to pay up

Are you a business person?
I am an American

Business has capitalized on low wages for a decade. We just gave them a tax cut. Time to pay up

That's a no.
Businesses are not run on a whim.They are run on forethought and planning.
They are a money making enterprise for the owners. IF they can't plan ahead they fail.
If they can't forecast their costs and adjust their practices and expenditures correctly they pull back.
Yu would know this if you were a business person and not just a taker.

Convince me.
Exactly

Won’t do so otherwise

Cut me a fucking break

Wow you seen that .

Convince me.

Like I said...it makes zero sense. Why would someone go to a job sweeping floors when they can be a pharmacy tech and work their way up from there?

What's the point busting your ass if the government decides to give a burger flipper the same wage as you?

Convince me.

What's the point busting your ass if the government decides to give a burger flipper the same wage as you?
Job satisfaction. Some people take pride in the job they do regardless of salary. At least people that have a work ethic. :rolleyes:

Convince me.

Many of the students my wife taught had to be persuaded to stay in the program because they were never taught to take the long term view of life. Most were black women around 21 from low income families who did poorly in school and were desperate for a new start and who rarely thought beyond the next few years. They often were sacrificing quite a bit as it was, giving up time with their children to study. If they could walk into a MW job for a dollar or so less an hour than what they could make after all that work, they would never have bothered.

Convince me.
Exactly

Won’t do so otherwise

Cut me a fucking break

Jack everyone's wages a lot and those prices will go up too. Are you really foolish enough to think that you can severely raise labor costs with no impact?

Forum List

Back