My conclusion on the Arizona law now up for signing/veto

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
After listening to and reading about this bill I have come to what will likely be an unpopular opinion among the right.

This bill seems to me that rather than protecting the rights of Americans it targets others for public persecution. Lifting christians while pushing others down. We don't need laws in this country that pit one class of citizen against another.
I've always said gays don't need or deserve special rights or attention and neither do christians. A law protecting the targeting of "certain" citizens should scare all of us.

I do think businesses should be able to conduct themselves as they see fit, within the law, and let the public decide if they deserve to be patronized.

After listening to and reading about this bill I have come to what will likely be an unpopular opinion among the right.

This bill seems to me that rather than protecting the rights of Americans it targets others for public persecution. Lifting christians while pushing others down. We don't need laws in this country that pit one class of citizen against another.
I've always said gays don't need or deserve special rights or attention and neither do christians. A law protecting the targeting of "certain" citizens should scare all of us.

I do think businesses should be able to conduct themselves as they see fit, within the law, and let the public decide if they deserve to be patronized.

You understand the law was passed in response to court cases where bakeries etc were forced to do business with people in circumstances that violated their own beliefs, right? Not passing the law creates privileged classes, in this case homos, in addition to the other classes of race, age, religion, and sex.

I tend to agree with grampa. I think there has been a lot of distortion and misinformation circulated about this bill from both sides of the issue, but I've read it myself and I just don't think it embraces what America is about and I don't think it reflects what my Christian faith is about either.

You understand the law was passed in response to court cases where bakeries etc were forced to do business with people in circumstances that violated their own beliefs, right? Not passing the law creates privileged classes, in this case homos, in addition to the other classes of race, age, religion, and sex.

Yes, but I think this was an over reaction. If Jan Brewer signs this law I project a HUGE backlash against conservatives both in her state and nationally.

Yes, but I think this was an over reaction. If Jan Brewer signs this law I project a HUGE backlash against conservatives both in her state and nationally.

WHy is protecting private property an over-reaction? What would an appropriate reaction be?

Gramps is correct and Uncensored's argument is the reverse of reality.

Gov Brewer should, rightfully, veto the bill.

I would essentially agree. Using religion as the basis of the law undermines it completely. Based on property rights, anybody should have the right to associate, or not, with whomever they like on their own property. Religion has nothing to do with it.

WHy is protecting private property an over-reaction? What would an appropriate reaction be?

I don't know the answer to your second question and I don't see the relevance of the first.

The problem is that it only protects one group's property rights, not everybody's.

My take is, you all who don't like the law, keep your nose's out of it and DON'T MOVE THERE

How damn smug of people to think they have a right to Interfere in what a States LAWS are?

We've seen many of them on this board...

they feel they have a right and (threaten and blackmail you, like the NFL is doing)...this whole thing with homosexuals has gone beyond sick and is being used to TEAR US APART as a country

wake up

I agree. And I would think business owners who do business across state lines would hate this thing.
I do not believe a "public business" - a business open to the general public, should be able to refuse service to someone purely for social/political reasons and that includes religious reasons.
A Christian business owner, in my opinion, would be breaking their faith by excluding others for the "sins" that person(s) commits. That is passing judgement.
If you are in business to serve the general public - then you serve the general public....ALL of them.

It's a bad law, poorly written, that tries to solve an issue we already have the solution for called Do Your Job. Jan will veto it I suspect. She doesn't need to bad press and a scolding from the state courts.

From what I have read and heard the law was poorly written and vague I can see where a bakery or florist would not want to take part in a gay marriage because of their religious beliefs but not a auto mechanic refusing to work on a gay persons car for religious beliefs.

The law was passed so that discrimination against gays would be legal. Nothing more, nothing less. No one is fooled about its true aim.

My take is, you all who don't like the law, keep your nose's out of it and DON'T MOVE THERE

How damn smug of people to think they have a right to Interfere in what a States LAWS are?
Like the Utah Mormons pushing Prop 8 in CA you mean? Bad law is bad law, no matter where it happens.

they feel they have a right and (threaten and blackmail you, like the NFL is doing)...this whole thing with homosexuals has gone beyond sick and is being used to TEAR US APART as a country

wake up

How exactly am I being smug or interfering? I simply offerd my opinion. This is the UNITED STATES is it not? Or is my freedom of expression excluded?

Yes. But it's a bad response to a bad law. Two wrongs don't make a right.

they feel they have a right and (threaten and blackmail you, like the NFL is doing)

Are you suggesting that the NFL should be forced to hold their Superbowl in Arizona even if they don't want to?

Don't they get to make that choice based on whatever criteria THEY deem worthy?

wake up

How exactly am I being smug or interfering? I simply offerd my opinion. This is the UNITED STATES is it not? Or is my freedom of expression excluded?

Apparently there are "thought police" on BOTH sides of the aisle.

Aside from being asked to make a wedding cake for "Guido and Bob," how would anyone know that a potential customer is "gay."

Does "gay" include people who are attracted to persons of the same sex, but are celibate?

Does it include people who are not attracted to same-sex persons but who engaged in same-sex activity while in prison?

Does it include men who are heterosexual or asexual, but are perceived as being "gay" due to dress or mannerisms?

I'm so confused.

Forum List

Back