My gas tax proposal to help the environment and end urban sprawl

ChairmanGonzalo

Oct 6, 2016
This is my proposed "Environmental and National Health Act." I believe that the government needs to tax the sale of gasoline until the price reaches the same price as it is in Hong Kong, around $7.12 a gallon, and then adjust this figure to account for inflation every year.

Gasoline Price Ranking: The Real Cost of Filling Up

I strongly believe that this will have many positive effects on society:

1. First off, this will reduce the amount of driving in this country. People will look for other means of transportation, such as public transit, carpooling, or biking/walking. Also, may Americans will reduce frivolous trips, such as driving down to the local movie theater or ice cream shop, or simply joyriding. All of this means far less carbon emissions from driving. This drastic reduction in carbon emissions will help stem the tide of global warming, one of the greatest threats humanity has ever faced: Impact of Global Warming on Future Human Life It would also greatly improve air quality caused by smog and traffic, leading to less cases of asthma or premature death.

2. This will also encourage the development of better, more far reaching, and more well-used public transit systems. In most states, the public transit system is terrible, since car ownership is the norm. Busses run late, light rail only covers a quarter of the city, stops are few and far between, etc. If car ownership were discouraged by $7.00 gas, the public transit system would have to improve in quality and effectiveness, putting us on par with most other countries in the world.

3. This tax on gasoline will help reduce urban sprawl. Urban sprawl is when suburbs spread out for miles on end, hours away from the downtown city they are centered on. Most people who live in these suburbs drive to work, and do not use public transit at all. By raising gas to $7.00 a gallon, we would halt the expansion of miles and miles of cookie cutter houses into what used to be thriving forest and natural beauty

4. The end of the suburbs will lead to decreased racism and bigotry, while increasing tolerance of others. Most racist whites today live either in the countryside or in suburbia, while the people of color they despite live in more urban areas. By making driving prohibitively expensive, these rich sheltered white communities would have to move closer to where they work, and live alongside communities of color. This would get these racist whites out of their little bubble, and force them to interact with people of other races and faiths, thereby encouraging racial tolerance in this country.

5. Let's not forget that the government would make tons of money with a heavy tax on gasoline. This, in combination with the cutting of our bloated military budget, would give the people of the USA enough money to finally implement single payer healthcare, improve public education, make higher education free, and create so many more opportunities for the citizens of this country.
Of course, the opposition from the oil companies would be ferocious. Some oil workers in places like Texas and Alaska would lose their jobs. There would be a brief period of time, after the tax is implemented, but before public transportation is expanded, where it might be hard for some people to commute to work.

But in the long run, the results of $7.12 a gallon gas would be nothing but beneficial. Decreased carbon emissions, increased air quality, a much improved public transportation system, an end to the suburban sprawl which causes de facto segregation of racial communities and contributes to the systemic racism in this country.

This is my proposed "Environmental and National Health Act." I believe that the government needs to tax the sale of gasoline until the price reaches the same price as it is in Hong Kong, around $7.12 a gallon, and then adjust this figure to account for inflation every year.

1. First off, this will reduce the amount of driving in this country. People will look for other means of transportation, such as public transit, carpooling, or biking/walking. Also, may Americans will reduce frivolous trips, such as driving down to the local movie theater or ice cream shop, or simply joyriding. All of this means far less carbon emissions from driving. This drastic reduction in carbon emissions will help stem the tide of global warming, one of the greatest threats humanity has ever faced: Impact of Global Warming on Future Human Life It would also greatly improve air quality caused by smog and traffic, leading to less cases of asthma or premature death.

2. This will also encourage the development of better, more far reaching, and more well-used public transit systems. In most states, the public transit system is terrible, since car ownership is the norm. Busses run late, light rail only covers a quarter of the city, stops are few and far between, etc. If car ownership were discouraged by $7.00 gas, the public transit system would have to improve in quality and effectiveness, putting us on par with most other countries in the world.

3. This tax on gasoline will help reduce urban sprawl. Urban sprawl is when suburbs spread out for miles on end, hours away from the downtown city they are centered on. Most people who live in these suburbs drive to work, and do not use public transit at all. By raising gas to $7.00 a gallon, we would halt the expansion of miles and miles of cookie cutter houses into what used to be thriving forest and natural beauty

4. The end of the suburbs will lead to decreased racism and bigotry, while increasing tolerance of others. Most racist whites today live either in the countryside or in suburbia, while the people of color they despite live in more urban areas. By making driving prohibitively expensive, these rich sheltered white communities would have to move closer to where they work, and live alongside communities of color. This would get these racist whites out of their little bubble, and force them to interact with people of other races and faiths, thereby encouraging racial tolerance in this country.

5. Let's not forget that the government would make tons of money with a heavy tax on gasoline. This, in combination with the cutting of our bloated military budget, would give the people of the USA enough money to finally implement single payer healthcare, improve public education, make higher education free, and create so many more opportunities for the citizens of this country.
Of course, the opposition from the oil companies would be ferocious. Some oil workers in places like Texas and Alaska would lose their jobs. There would be a brief period of time, after the tax is implemented, but before public transportation is expanded, where it might be hard for some people to commute to work.

But in the long run, the results of $7.12 a gallon gas would be nothing but beneficial. Decreased carbon emissions, increased air quality, a much improved public transportation system, an end to the suburban sprawl which causes de facto segregation of racial communities and contributes to the systemic racism in this country.

Go fuck yourself

Go fuck yourself

Great debating skills there, buddy

I would absolutely LOVE to spend 60 bucks driving to work everyday! Then, when I cant feed my family and file for bankruptcy, I can live off you!
I LOVE it!
Go Mao!

Its not like travel helps generates any economies or anything.
"our 2K budget family vacation is going to the LOCAL ZOO"
What a luantic

Last edited:
I would absolutely LOVE to spend 60 bucks driving to work everyday! Then, when I cant feed my family and file for bankruptcy, I can live off you!
I LOVE it!
Go Mao!

Or you can take public transit.

And if you claim that "public transit sucks," maybe an increased tax on gasoline will help improve and expand services

I LOVE it!
Go Mao!

And if you claim that "public transit sucks," maybe an increased tax on gasoline will help improve and expand services
Yes, because public transit is available for the whole country.

I LOVE it!
Go Mao!

As of right now, no it isn't. But if fewer and fewer people drove cars, and there was a financial stimulus to take public transit, demand for an increase in services and quality and reach of public transit would also rise.

I LOVE it!
Go Mao!

As of right now, no it isn't. But if fewer and fewer people drove cars, and there was a financial stimulus to take public transit, demand for an increase in services and quality and reach of public transit would also rise.
Dude, I live in the middle of nowhere. My highway has a house every quarter mile.
Your plan would be cool if we all were a collective living in dorm rooms. But reality isn't on your side.
Maybe when we get another 100M people?

Plans for the far future are awesome. And responsible. But what about now?

I LOVE it!
Go Mao!

Dude, I live in the middle of nowhere. My highway has a house every quarter mile.
Your plan would be cool if we all were a collective living in dorm rooms. But reality isn't on your side.

The fact that there are houses as isolated and car dependent as yours will change under this new tax. Read points 3 and 4 of the OP

The Obama administration looked at doing this, proposing a $10/bl tax on oil IIRC and that went over about as well as expected.

there are also other ramifications to jacking the cost of fuel, as it tacks cost onto everything that is transported, which is basically everything.

non-starter.

All it will do is further disadvantage the poor who will not be able to fill their cars. The rest of us will keep driving, and fast.

Gasoline virtually pours out of the tailpipe of my 1970 Olds Cutlass 4-4-2 at high speeds. I love pulling up next to Smart Cars and Minis and gunning the engine. I bet it's like an earthquake in there.

Go fuck yourself

Great debating skills there, buddy
You joined today. You think we haven't seen this shit before in various forms? Hang around a while instead of spewing garbage right out of the gate.

I LOVE it!
Go Mao!

The fact that there are houses as isolated and car dependent as yours will change under this new tax. Read points 3 and 4 of the OP
Bullshit

I LOVE it!
Go Mao!

No I can't dumbfuck. I'm a contractor and need my truck, can't carry anair compressor on the bus or get them off their route. I'd have to pass the costs on, and many people will say screw it, too expensive.

Last edited:
I LOVE it!
Go Mao!

No I can't dumbfuck. I'm a contractor and need my truck, can't carry air compressor on the bus or get them off their route. I'd have to pass the costs on, and many people will say screw it, too expensive.

Good point guess the dumb shit loves to pay more for everything..since most products are shipped by truck

What happens to the trucking industry if gas goes up to $7 and diesel goes to $10? Does anybody think home heating oil prices will remain the same if diesel goes to $10 gal? It will cost about 5 thousand dollars to fill the oil tanks and people will be dying of exposure when they have to take out a 2nd mortgage to stay warm for one winter. Do inner city idiots and tax and spend lefties think that when they stroll down to their grocery stores the stuff magically appears on the shelves? If the truckers have to pay $10 gal for diesel the cost of everything (if you can get it) will be multiplied by five. Do they trust the government to do the right thing and spend the gigantic windfall on the "environment"? It will be like social security and end up in the pockets of about ten new bureaucracies. What the government needs to do is become energy independent of OPEC and drop gas prices to half of what they are today and stimulate the economy.

I LOVE it!
Go Mao!

what world do you live in?.....even here in california that kind of shit gets ignored....

You're nuts

Forum List

Back