New records have significance

Let's stay focused on the conditions which exist today which are polar regions being isolated from warmer marine currents and temperatures at or below the thresholds for extensive continental glaciation. Fair enough?

My apologies. I thought when you wanted to talk about Snowball Earth you wanted to talk about that topic.

Yes and my point is that it is northern hemisphere glaciation which is responsible for the planet's increased climate fluctuations and environmental uncertainty over the past 5 million years or so. So we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss natural causes for the recent warming trend

Again, my apologies, I'm not the one dismissing natural forcings for the recent warming. That's the professional scientists who work in this area. The data is pretty compelling that natural forcings alone cannot account for the warming, certainly not within the last half-century to about a 95% confidence.

The occurrence of new records, new extremes, at BOTH poles has significance, particularly when overlain on the steady rise of global temperatures over the last century.

Are you telling us that the CLIMATE at the poles is now 50 to 70 degrees warmer than what it was? Will it be 50 to 70 warmer next week and next year and for the foreseeable future? Or are you just jacking off?

PV System

1649085376400.png

1644892143704.png

1644892167982.png

1644892189858.png

Sequences were mapped using the Mollweide projection, and, in all cases, are by Ron Blakey.

What Did the Continents Look Like Millions of Years Ago?

An artist-geologist renders the history of the Earth with maps.
www.theatlantic.com
www.theatlantic.com

My apologies. I thought when you wanted to talk about Snowball Earth you wanted to talk about that topic.
No worries. It's all good. My belief is that any conversation about earth's future climate should start with a conversation on what's is controlling earth's present climate. And that conversation has to begin with why the earth transitioned from a greenhouse planet to an icehouse planet. Understanding the conditions which led to Milankovich cycles triggering glacial cycles and understanding what drove climate fluctuations within glacial and interglacial cycles is relevant to today's conversation. The geologic record is littered with examples of warming trends following cooling trends within glacial cycles and cooling trends following warming trends within interglacial cycles. And not one of those instances was caused by atmospheric CO2 or orbital forcing. So it would be disingenuous to casually dismiss natural causes - such as solar output and albedo - as the reason for the recent warming trend. The planet is much much closer to extensive northern hemisphere glaciation than it is to a greenhouse planet.
Again, my apologies, I'm not the one dismissing natural forcings for the recent warming. That's the professional scientists who work in this area. The data is pretty compelling that natural forcings alone cannot account for the warming, certainly not within the last half-century to about a 95% confidence.
Again... Milankovich cycles trigger glacial cycles because the conditions on earth - namely polar regions being isolated from warmer marine currents which determine the threshold for extensive glaciation at each pole and earth's present temperature. Within the cycles other factors - namely solar output and albedo - drive fluctuations within the cycles. Orbital forcing cannot be responsible for the up and down climate fluctuations within the cycles because those timescales are very short compared to the orbital forcing time scales.

The data shows this relationship. It is called the "Climate Sensitivity" of CO2. You can google it if you like. Here's a graphic showing both the estimated climate sensitivity and the means by which it was measured:

Then please explain why a 180 to 280 ppm rise in carbon dioxide concentration (55% increase) gives us an 8ºC temperature rise ... your formula only allows for a maximum of 4.5ºC rise for 180 to 360 ppm ... your math is wrong if it doesn't provide any predictive ability ...

Actually that's a gross oversimplification. In some areas it will be warmer and wetter, in others it may very well get colder and drier.

How does this square with the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics? ... global warming causes cooling ... why do you thing some areas of the Earth's surface will be getting colder, and please please explain the physics ... we're not afraid of math around either ... we speak ∫ dx ...

In western Europe, for example, if the melting of the Greenland Ice Sheet continues apace it may actually dump enough fresh water into the upper arch of the AMOC and the "Gulf Stream" that it shuts it down which will result in a catastrophic cooling in western Europe (I assume you know why Western Europe has a warmer climate than its latitude would normally have).

Wow ... I honestly can't believe you posted this ... a doctor of geology ... we have water, 200 km wide, 2,000 km long and (say) 20 m deep ... you expect us to believe a thin layer of fresh water over the top of this will slow down all this momentum? ... let's see the math ... I want to see how you slow down the entire North Atlantic Gyre ...

Pah ... maybe quoting a cartoon donkey will edify you ... "parfait has layers" ... and so does the ocean ... and for the same reasons ...

I'm shocked at how little you know about the overall topic.

Really ... how much computational fluid dynamics do you expect an uneducated construction laborer to know? ...

You don't know anything about geology. That's clear enough. And if you think you know anything about meteorology and you have such a grossly oversimplified view of how climate and local weather work then you are likely quite mistaken on that front as well.

I've not made any geological claims ... now have I? ... I took a class in meteorology is all, which is more than you've taken ... I respect geologists, as this ranks as one of the more difficult of all sciences ... but you never apply Navier/Stokes equations to rocks (other than mass wasting events), do you? ...

If I go west, I find geology ... if I go east, I find volcanology ... if I stay put, I find ornithology ... that's the extent of my knowledge of geology ...

=====

If your argument is that I lack understanding in the matter at hand ... I would question your understanding ... please focus on the first section of my post ... about how your formula doesn't fit the ice core data ...

We know that by doubling the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere we will see an approximately 2.5-4degC (equilibrium state).

Would you please caste this as an algebric function ... after all ... you're the one with the PhD ... I only graduated Middle School ...

Yes I am. And given that plates move on average a few mm/year exactly how do you think that might have caused warming since the 1850's? Just curious.

Where? ... North America is moving at 30 mm/yr relative to the Pacific Plate ... Sydney, Australia, is moving 70 mm/yr with respect to the equator ... there's more to the world than the Eurasia/African convergence zone ...

Oceans are rising 3.5 mm/yr ... ha ha ha ha ha ...

Yes the earth's relationship to the sun impacted this (Milankovich Cycles).

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ... which Milankovich Cycle? ... our period for this glacial/interglacial cycle is 125,000 years ... none of the Milankovich Cycles correlate to this ... and not all Milankovich Cycles effect average annual irradiation ...

I took a class in Astrophysics ... have you? ...

Then please explain why a 180 to 280 ppm rise in carbon dioxide concentration (55% increase) gives us an 8ºC temperature rise ... your formula only allows for a maximum of 4.5ºC rise for 180 to 360 ppm ... your math is wrong if it doesn't provide any predictive ability ...

There's a significant difference between EQUILIBRIUM and TRANSIENT. We are not yet at the equilibrium of the added CO2.

In chemistry if I add two reactants to a mixture they take a certain amount of time to react and then come to equilibrium. Same with added CO2.

How does this square with the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics? ... global warming causes cooling ...

RIght now on earth there are a variety of climates. Some hot, some cold, some wet, some dry. Climate change means that the overall average temperature of the globe can increase while locally climate can cool.

The example I gave of the shutdown of the Thermohaline Circulation in the North Atlantic is a great example. As the globe warms ice on Greenland starts to melt and pump a bunch of fresh water into the upper part of that circulation. The density differential vs salt water can cause the current to slow down or even stop. Right now the climate of England or other western European countries is warmer than it would normally be at that latitude. That's because the gulf stream pulls warmth up to higher latitudes and that keeps western Europe warmer than it would be without the circulation.

Does that start to make sense? It's a complex system with a lot of moving parts that interact.

Wow ... I honestly can't believe you posted this ... a doctor of geology ... we have water, 200 km wide, 2,000 km long and (say) 20 m deep ... you expect us to believe a thin layer of fresh water over the top of this will slow down all this momentum? ... let's see the math ... I want to see how you slow down the entire North Atlantic Gyre ...

You don't have to believe me, you can take the word of actual professional researchers at Columbia University:

The key here is that the ocean is not, even close, to a some static tub of water. It has currents within it that move up and down and transport north and south and east and west. I was fortunate once to take part in a research cruise in the North Atlantic tracing packets of water as they moved through the ocean water's water column. We were looking at what is called the NADW or North Atlantic Deep Water formation in which water in a "stream" if you will, travels up through the water column, contacts the atmosphere and then cools and sinks to the bottom of the Atlantic and then turns around and rises back up. It's a pretty cool effect but its' basically how the ocean works. It's a complex 3-dimensional system. Not a static bathtub. We were able to find packets of water deep in the Atlantic that contained gases that were human-made in a ratio that existed in the atmosphere maybe 5 or so years ago. Meaning that water was once at the surface.

I've not made any geological claims ... now have I? ... I took a class in meteorology is all, which is more than you've taken ...

I did not take a meteorlogy course but I did get to work in the measurement of atmospheric gases interacting with oceans and estuaries.
\If your argument is that I lack understanding in the matter at hand ... I would question your understanding ...

Which is why I support my points with actual citations.

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ... which Milankovich Cycle? ... our period for this glacial/interglacial cycle is 125,000 years ... none of the Milankovich Cycles correlate to this ... and not all Milankovich Cycles effect average annual irradiation ...

(Hopefully in your world NASA isn't part of some giant conspiracy leaving only you folks who randomly wandered through a couple of science classes in undergrad as the only people who know truth.)

Where? ... North America is moving at 30 mm/yr relative to the Pacific Plate ... Sydney, Australia, is moving 70 mm/yr with respect to the equator ... there's more to the world than the Eurasia/African convergence zone ...

Oceans are rising 3.5 mm/yr ... ha ha ha ha ha ...

Ha ha ha ha. Indeed. It's such a joy to read your erudition.

There's a significant difference between EQUILIBRIUM and TRANSIENT. We are not yet at the equilibrium of the added CO2.
In chemistry if I add two reactants to a mixture they take a certain amount of time to react and then come to equilibrium. Same with added CO2.

In the thread pinned to the top of this forum, it's explained why this is half a second ... zap the molecule with a photon, on average a new photon is released a half second later ... that would be the equivalent of "rate-of-reaction" ... I understand that about chemistry, do you understand how much quicker radiative transfer of energy is? ... 30,000,000 m/s ...

RIght now on earth there are a variety of climates. Some hot, some cold, some wet, some dry. Climate change means that the overall average temperature of the globe can increase while locally climate can cool.

We've seen 1ºC global warming over the past 40 years ... just one weather station anywhere in the world that shows cooling over that time span ... just one ...

=====

First lesson in basic meteorology:

From this ... we can easily see why the wind driven surface currents flow in a gyre ... and this includes both the North Atlantic Gyre and the Gulf Stream ... I did specify top 20 meters ... any fresh water that flows out onto this current will be wind driven itself ... become part of the gyre rather than block it ... that's kinda the nature of fluids ...

Do read that article, it's very important when we start into climates and causes ... because this is the cause of climate, this and terrain ... and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics ...

The occurrence of new records, new extremes, at BOTH poles has significance, particularly when overlain on the steady rise of global temperatures over the last century.

Yes, the IPCC conducts no research. They do, however, conduct very thorough reviews of the Assessment Report sections before they are published. I stand by my answer, though, as you point out, there are mountains of other published studies of climate issues with very close to unanimously support for the conclusions of the IPCC, which certainly makse sense since that is where the IPCC's conclusions come from.
IPCC starts with "Wheeze awl gunny dyeeee!" from man madeup Global Climate Warming Change and works back from there.

The example I gave of the shutdown of the Thermohaline Circulation in the North Atlantic is a great example. As the globe warms ice on Greenland starts to melt and pump a bunch of fresh water into the upper part of that circulation. The density differential vs salt water can cause the current to slow down or even stop. Right now the climate of England or other western European countries is warmer than it would normally be at that latitude. That's because the gulf stream pulls warmth up to higher latitudes and that keeps western Europe warmer than it would be without the circulation.

Does that start to make sense? It's a complex system with a lot of moving parts that interact.

You don't have to believe me, you can take the word of actual professional researchers at Columbia University:

The key here is that the ocean is not, even close, to a some static tub of water. It has currents within it that move up and down and transport north and south and east and west. I was fortunate once to take part in a research cruise in the North Atlantic tracing packets of water as they moved through the ocean water's water column. We were looking at what is called the NADW or North Atlantic Deep Water formation in which water in a "stream" if you will, travels up through the water column, contacts the atmosphere and then cools and sinks to the bottom of the Atlantic and then turns around and rises back up. It's a pretty cool effect but its' basically how the ocean works. It's a complex 3-dimensional system. Not a static bathtub. We were able to find packets of water deep in the Atlantic that contained gases that were human-made in a ratio that existed in the atmosphere maybe 5 or so years ago. Meaning that water was once at the surface.

I did not take a meteorlogy course but I did get to work in the measurement of atmospheric gases interacting with oceans and estuaries.

Which is why I support my points with actual citations.
Wait. Is it a "complex system" or are you able to isolate ALL variables except a demininus change in an atmospheric trace element as THE CAUSE of all manmadeup Global Climate Warming Change because the two are mutually exclusive

Wait. Is it a "complex system" or are you able to isolate ALL variables

I don't know why anyone would assume that all variables can be isolated. I assume there's a significant amount of cross-correlation between various of the variables.

except a demininus change in an atmospheric trace element as THE CAUSE of all manmadeup Global Climate Warming Change because the two are mutually exclusive

Well, of course, NO ONE thinks it's just due to CO2. I mean someone who has no clue what they are talking about in this topic might assume that, but that isn't what the science says. There are a number of positive and negative forcings. Indeed peeling out the forcing due to CO2 alone shows it is likely the largest single forcing but it's not the only one, and it's not even the only human-caused forcing.

Earlier I posted a link to a paper that summarizes the CLIMATE SENSITIVITY of CO2 and it included a lot of detailed explanation of how those numbers are estimated. I will post it again so you can ignore it as well.

Make sure to ignore Figure #3 since it summarizes both the estimates as well as the techniques used to measure/estimate this value.

Hope this helps!

Sooooooooooooo, is that 70 degree warmer the new Arctic normal climate?

I don't know why anyone would assume that all variables can be isolated. I assume there's a significant amount of cross-correlation between various of the variables.

Well, of course, NO ONE thinks it's just due to CO2. I mean someone who has no clue what they are talking about in this topic might assume that, but that isn't what the science says. There are a number of positive and negative forcings. Indeed peeling out the forcing due to CO2 alone shows it is likely the largest single forcing but it's not the only one, and it's not even the only human-caused forcing.

Earlier I posted a link to a paper that summarizes the CLIMATE SENSITIVITY of CO2 and it included a lot of detailed explanation of how those numbers are estimated. I will post it again so you can ignore it as well.

Make sure to ignore Figure #3 since it summarizes both the estimates as well as the techniques used to measure/estimate this value.

Hope this helps!

So you can't say for sure what effect, if any CO2 has at these low levels.

Forum List

Back