New York’s ‘Food Recycling’ Program Could Be The Future Of Waste And Energy

what a fucking crybaby. New yorks Waste Problems are vastly different from say Virgina or Ohio. They don't have the room to fuck around like other places does.
ITs fucking sad that people like you have a problem with things like this.
Take some responsibility for where you live, instead of being a fat slob.

Is the government gonna pay me for my time when and if they enact this level of waste seperation?

I Bill out at $120.00 per hour.

It comes off of your utility bill. Lets hear you cry about that.

No date on the article so it could be old.

Is Recycling Worth the Trouble, Cost? - ABC News

One particular quote shines out:

Glass, metal and plastic recycling costs New York $240 per ton, almost double what it costs to just throw it away. Recycling costs vary by city according to a set of factors, including proximity to landfills, labor costs, amount and method of recycling and real estate prices.

and another one:

Advocates of recycling say these arguments miss the point. Yes, recycling can be costly for some cities, especially if it isn't done properly and efficiently. But we don't recycle to save money, they say, we do it to save the planet.

"In economic terms, it's very often a losing proposition but the thing is, human work does not have the same environmental consequences that exploiting virgin resources has. From a sustainability point of view, recycling has value," said John Tiemstra, a professor of economics at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Mich.

How about privatized trash processing companies having a tiered fee system? If you go through the trouble of sorting into more categories, you pay less. If you don't, then they charge you more? Why do we need government nannies telling us what to do with our garbabe?

well no they do have an interest in the garbage because it affects everyone, but you will note this is typically a local issue. most towns vary in how they handle trash.
i weep for the fact you have to take an extra 5 seconds to put a bottle in the correct bin.

And get a lower utility bill. My heart bleeds

Ill believe that when I see it. I doubt there is going to be anything that gets cheaper through this. They NEVER pass those savings on.

Is the government gonna pay me for my time when and if they enact this level of waste seperation?

Glass, metal and plastic recycling costs New York $240 per ton, almost double what it costs to just throw it away. Recycling costs vary by city according to a set of factors, including proximity to landfills, labor costs, amount and method of recycling and real estate prices.

and another one:

Advocates of recycling say these arguments miss the point. Yes, recycling can be costly for some cities, especially if it isn't done properly and efficiently. But we don't recycle to save money, they say, we do it to save the planet.

"In economic terms, it's very often a losing proposition but the thing is, human work does not have the same environmental consequences that exploiting virgin resources has. From a sustainability point of view, recycling has value," said John Tiemstra, a professor of economics at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Mich.

SO digging up the earth and filling it full of shit is somehow good within your world? So we can mine for more metals and that's somehow cheaper. Think about it.

and another one:

SO digging up the earth and filling it full of shit is somehow good within your world? So we can mine for more metals and that's somehow cheaper. Think about it.

Closecaption said recycling helps my utility bill (actually my taxes as NYC has public sanitation). I have given a link showing otherwise. It cost me more due to the recycling.

This response has nothing to do with other benefits, purely cost.

and another one:

The date may be old but the point is lost. What is your point or are you flinging poo?

Where it will eventually lead is to gazillions of maggots and disease.

Just wait for the first New York garbage strike. You thought it was bad before! HAH!

So converting it into energy will cause maggots and the land fill won't. LOL. think.:eusa_hand:

Since old landfills are already being mined, there's nothing wrong with landfills.
Mining Landfills

Landfills are a largely untapped resource for many strategic metals (Kennedy, 2012). Valuable recyclable materials formerly regarded as waste can be mined from landfills, providing a new source of such material (Fisher 1995). The scope of this resource is vast: In the UK alone, 2 billion tons of waste sit untouched in landfills (Stein). In the US, more than 4.6 million tons of electronic waste were disposed of in American landfills in 2000 ("Where Does E-Waste End Up?"). Such material has potential to provide a new supply for declining supplies of metals such as the platinum group elements and rare earths, both of which are found frequently in electronic products.

and another one:

The date may be old but the point is lost. What is your point or are you flinging poo?

You implied recycling saves me money, it does not. It costs me more in taxes.

If NYC wants to save energy costs, how about turning off some of the lights when people leave the office at night.

I said it would lower your utility bill sparky

How does it lower my utility bill? All I know is it raises my taxes.

Read the article

Yeah, because it costs nothing to truck the stuff to the composting facility, spread the material in cells in the compost, monitor the compost, withdraw and clean the produced gas, burn the gas in a turbine, and dispose of and remove the remains of the compost....

Lets see if they actually get below the $95 dollars a ton it costs just to throw it out.

i don't know about any of you, but i can assure you we do not throw out anywhere close to 40% of our food.

Read the article

Yeah, because it costs nothing to truck the stuff to the composting facility, spread the material in cells in the compost, monitor the compost, withdraw and clean the produced gas, burn the gas in a turbine, and dispose of and remove the remains of the compost....

Lets see if they actually get below the $95 dollars a ton it costs just to throw it out.

thats it exactly. This article only talks about the roses but fails to mention the thorns. While i am all for recycling and composting, I'd really like to see an honest assesment of the program rather then a feel good glory piece.

Read the article

So it seems your done with the whole lowering your utilities bill squawking now. Thanks

Forum List

Back