NLRB: College athletes can unionize

College athletes, IMO, do get paid...especially at the D1 level. Free education, free meals, free travel, free tutoring, state of the art medical care, state of the art facilities, fame...oh and most importantly, opportunity that most of them would not have if they didn't have superior athletic ability. College athletes can't complain, they are much better off than the student who has to struggle while they work and attend classes.

Superior or honed? They put in a lot of work for that ya know

I agree, being an athlete at the D1 level takes a lot of effort and commitment. Superior, for the most part, was a poor choice of words.

No matter how hard I tried, no matter how hard I worked as a kid, no matter the number of hours I put in......

I could have NEVER made it to the NFL, NBA, MLB or any other professional sport like that. Maybe the PGA. But then I'd have to kill myself. I hate Golf

No way. You're BORN with the ability.

What you do with it after that deserves some respect. Some.

But if you're not born with it, there's nothing you can do. You either got it, or you don't.

Period.

Just a thought, but could an unintended consequence be they end up paying taxes?

Just like the many students that work their way through college? LOL, paying taxes is never an unintended consequence.

College athletes can't complain, they are much better off than the student who has to struggle while they work and attend classes.

Most college athletes have to do all that too, even at the D1 level.

The big programs have private tutors for them, Unk.

And very few, if any, actually work.

They might get paid two hundred dollars to stand at the door of a popular College Night Club, letting kids in and out.

But that's about it.

Well, one of my buddies got paid to keep the seaweed out of Buckeye Stadium one year. He wouldn't tell me how much. :dunno:

Hmmmm, get rid of the scholarships and set up a draft. First round draft choices get an upper tier contract, second round gets a lesser contract and so on.

Screw the education, the athletes have employment and an agent. Things will run smoothly IMO.

College athletes can't complain, they are much better off than the student who has to struggle while they work and attend classes.

They might get paid two hundred dollars to stand at the door of a popular College Night Club, letting kids in and out.

But that's about it.

You're talking about the very few athletes on full rides at the biggest programs of the most well-funded sports. Most college athletes (even at the D1 level) are not on scholarships, and of those that are, even fewer have the whole 'full ride' package going. It's a gripe about a very, very small population.

Why not all students...they all contribute to the schools bottom line.

Really? Who added more to Ohio State's 'bottom line': me or Archie Griffin?

Are you saying athletes are more important than teachers and scientists?

No, that is not what he said. He said the athletes are more financially valuable to the university than regular students.

Not all schools make a profit. But some make considerable money. In 2012, the University of Alabama athletic dept posted a net profit $31.68 million.

Texas football had an income of $109 million in 2013. Show me another group of 100 students that generate that kind of income.

Just a thought, but could an unintended consequence be they end up paying taxes?

Just like the many students that work their way through college? LOL, paying taxes is never an unintended consequence.

exactly. I just got the added bill for my kid's earnings. However, I suspect Div I football players will make more than my kid for lifeguarding and answering a phone. LOL

Superior or honed? They put in a lot of work for that ya know

I agree, being an athlete at the D1 level takes a lot of effort and commitment. Superior, for the most part, was a poor choice of words.

No matter how hard I tried, no matter how hard I worked as a kid, no matter the number of hours I put in......

I could have NEVER made it to the NFL, NBA, MLB or any other professional sport like that. Maybe the PGA. But then I'd have to kill myself. I hate Golf

No way. You're BORN with the ability.

What you do with it after that deserves some respect. Some.

But if you're not born with it, there's nothing you can do. You either got it, or you don't.

Period.
I played sports in HS and college. I have seen those who succeeded because of hard work and I have seen those who have succeeded because of natural talent.

The one thing I can say for certain, the mentality and qualities of a top notch athlete and someone who is successful in their chosen profession, are not much different.

Ummm! No one said the coach didn't deserve to be paid. However, the athletes work all year to stay in shape learn the teams offense and defense and practice.
They deserve more of the money generated by their hard work and dedication.:D

Here is the big problem. The coach of a winning program gets such a larger percentage than the ones doing the work.
Again. Leave it up to the wealth re-distribution group to short change the real workers.

Um the coach is working 18+ hour days in season and damn near 365 days a year when it comes to recruiting. And when the team is successful year in and year out they bring in millions of dollars of revenue.

Of course universities are free to drop sports at any time and with the sports would go the free rides.

And the republicans speak up. How dare those damn sports players get a portion of the earnings likely in the MILLIONS since they are the ones taking the risks and getting no rewards. Damn sounds like most workers now a days.

Nazi-boy doesn't seem to think an education can be seen as a "reward."

But that's about it.

You're talking about the very few athletes on full rides at the biggest programs of the most well-funded sports. Most college athletes (even at the D1 level) are not on scholarships, and of those that are, even fewer have the whole 'full ride' package going. It's a gripe about a very, very small population.

They may not be on full rides, but they get all of the benefits of being a D1 athlete at their institution, and those benefits are many

But that's about it.

They may not be on full rides, but they get all of the benefits of being a D1 athlete at their institution, and those benefits are many

For the vast majority of D1 athletes, they get the "benefit" of doing more and working harder than most of their fellow students.

NCAA rules for D1 athletes prevent them from working, I believe. I know there are many summer programs where athletes are basically given money for pretending to work.

But that's about it.

Possibly, but the fact is that many never will graduate, and the Univ knows that when they recruit the kids. So, the "scholar athlete" notion is largely a fiction. Some kids benefit, but it's not really a norm.

Really? Who added more to Ohio State's 'bottom line': me or Archie Griffin?

Are you saying athletes are more important than teachers and scientists?

No, that is not what he said. He said the athletes are more financially valuable to the university than regular students.

Not all schools make a profit. But some make considerable money. In 2012, the University of Alabama athletic dept posted a net profit $31.68 million.

Texas football had an income of $109 million in 2013. Show me another group of 100 students that generate that kind of income.

First of all, you might want to get your sarcasm detector checked out, it isn't working.

So, what are you proposing exactly? That government should force universities to pay them? That they should just be able to ask for payment? I'm not clear what the proposal is.

For the vast majority of D1 athletes, they get the "benefit" of doing more and working harder than most of their fellow students.

They also get the benefit of coming out of school with a degree and no debt.

NCAA rules for D1 athletes prevent them from working, I believe.

Nope. Any such restrictions are only for those on the aforementioned full rides.

Forum List

Back