‘Not humane’: PETA rips AOC for buying and caging a dog

I have never gotten a dog from any place but rescue shelters.
Most so called purebred dogs have major health issues. Large amounts of so called breeders keep the animals in cages 24/7 and most females are kept constantly pregnant. Can't allow something that has that much money inside it to disappear nor eat up profits by not producing young to sell.

I have heard all the arguments against rescue animals. They were other people's problems, they are there because they could not be trained, etc.
What it usually comes down to is they don't know how to handle and train a dog, having a dog from a breeder makes me look wealth or they really don't have time for the animal at all.
Many of the breeds of pure breed dogs are breed that way to perform a certain task. These dogs have jobs and those owners buy dogs they feel will best serve the task they were purxhased for. Pure breeds for use of pets how ever are just a status symbol. Do not blame owners for loving this symbol, they m ay just have memories placed in that type of dog. Do blame inscrupulous puppy mill dealers though. Most my pets were from the shelters but I have trained and bread pure breads for the purposes of fullfilling a job or for show dogs.There are plenty of reputable pure breed dealers out there that care about and take care of thier dogs.

Your wife's Chow bit her because it wasn't trained properly not because it was a Chow.

None of my dogs will touch their food until I tell them to.

I could put a steak on the floor in front of my 3 dogs and say "Leave it" and they will sit there and look at me waiting for me to say "OK"

The same goes with their food dishes or any scrap of food that hits the floor while cooking etc.

It never mattered what breed the dogs were or if I got them from a shelter

She trained dogs and won state championships with them.
And yet she couldn't train a dog not to lunge for food?

The dog was very well trained and hadnt been aggressive in the past....until that day.

I find that hard to believe

A well behaved well trained dog does not suddenly become aggressive for no reason

Chows are notorious for this kind of behavior.
Chow Puppy Suddenly Bites Person in the Face
Puppy

Untrained

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

She wants the best.

3lppx2.gif

Animal rights organization PETA wagged their finger at Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for buying a dog instead of getting one from a shelter.

“With the millions of homeless dogs out there, you apparently chose to buy a purebred puppy instead of adopting one from an animal shelter,” PETA president Ingrid Newkirk said in a Thursday letter to the New York Democrat. “Right this minute, on Petfinder alone, there are more than 110,000 dogs — including French bulldogs — who need homes. Animal shelters are bursting at the seams with hundreds of thousands more, many of whom will be ‘put to sleep’ for lack of a home.”
'Not humane': PETA rips AOC for buying and caging a dog - ENM NEWS

PETA, the only people that can make AOC look sane.

I brought a pure bred dog. I don't want to adopt other people's problems. I was bringing this animal into my home, and I wanted to be sure that it would be friendly to my guests, and not bite them, let alone my child.

So, flush that virtue signaling shit. And I tell people that all the time, when they start telling me about their stupid rescue animals.
The breed of the dog has nothing to do with whether it will be friendly or bite

All dog behavior is a result of how the owner trains and raises the animal.

I've had purebred huskies and golden retrievers I've had mutts and I have had shelter dogs and they were all well behaved wonderful dogs because I made them be that way

Your achievement is very impressive, good for you.

But breed does matter. That you can work with different breeds and get them all properly trained, does not mean that the starting point is that same.

My observations of dogs in public, shows real differences, generally speaking, between different breeds.

All dogs can be properly trained as I said it doesn't matter if you need to adjust that training for any dog

I've had dogs of the same breed that needed completely different training styles

I had one husky that was meek and timid and needed a very gentle hand. I had another that needed a very firm hand. I could have both of them off leash anywhere and they were both equally well behaved

Even it is true that "any dog can be properly trained" that does not mean that breeds are different and different breeds tend to different traits.
I never said breeds don't have different traits in fact I said dogs of the same breed have differences as well

I've had purebred huskies and golden retrievers I've had mutts and I have had shelter dogs and they were all well behaved wonderful dogs because I made them be that way

There are some breeds that have a higher propensity to bite.
Chows being one of them.
The wife raised hers from a pup and at two it decided she didnt put the food bowl down fast enough for its liking and it bit the shit out of her without warning.

Her fault not the dog's fault

ALL dog behavior is determined by the owner.

If you have as much experience with dogs as you say you do you should know this

Scientific studies say different.

https://www.knrlegal.com/dog-breeds-frequently-bite-humans/

There certainly are dog breeds that tend to bite more frequently than others.
That is not a "scientific" study

It is a set of statistics and there is no mention of training.

I have had a pit bull and a few pit bull mixes and they were wonderful animals because I made them that way.

Dogs behave badly because of their owners failures

In your opinion are some breeds more forgiving of lax training styles than others?
As I said even dogs of the same breed can need different training styles

So it makes sense that dogs of different breeds may need different training

I've seen aggressive golden retrievers as well as docile pit bulls

Every dog is a little different

She wants the best.

3lppx2.gif

Animal rights organization PETA wagged their finger at Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for buying a dog instead of getting one from a shelter.

“With the millions of homeless dogs out there, you apparently chose to buy a purebred puppy instead of adopting one from an animal shelter,” PETA president Ingrid Newkirk said in a Thursday letter to the New York Democrat. “Right this minute, on Petfinder alone, there are more than 110,000 dogs — including French bulldogs — who need homes. Animal shelters are bursting at the seams with hundreds of thousands more, many of whom will be ‘put to sleep’ for lack of a home.”

I brought a pure bred dog. I don't want to adopt other people's problems. I was bringing this animal into my home, and I wanted to be sure that it would be friendly to my guests, and not bite them, let alone my child.

So, flush that virtue signaling shit. And I tell people that all the time, when they start telling me about their stupid rescue animals.

That is bullshit
Different breeds have different temperaments.

As much as Pit Bull owners swear that their dog is friendly, the breed is bred to be aggressive. timid Pit Bulls do not get bred. Then, when the animal resorts to its breeding, the owners act shocked

She wants the best.

3lppx2.gif

That is bullshit

As much as Pit Bull owners swear that their dog is friendly, the breed is bred to be aggressive. timid Pit Bulls do not get bred. Then, when the animal resorts to its breeding, the owners act shocked

That's pure bullshit.

Pitbulls are aggressive because their owners train them to be aggressive.

I can train a Golden Retriever or any other dog to be aggressive and I can train any dog to be well behaved

She wants the best.

3lppx2.gif

That is bullshit

That's pure bullshit.

I can train a Golden Retriever or any other dog to be aggressive and I can train any dog to be well behaved

Bull Shit

Pit Bulls are born aggressive. Training may try to suppress it, but it is there, under the surface.

The breed was bred to fight and defend. Those pit bulls that were weak or timid were either not bred or destroyed by breeders. With the right training, a dog may keep its instincts in check.
But presented with a small child or another pet that acts incorrectly and the Pit Bull instincts surface

She wants the best.

3lppx2.gif

That is bullshit

That's pure bullshit.

Bull Shit

Pit Bulls are born aggressive. Training may try to suppress it, but it is there, under the surface.

The breed was bred to fight and defend. Those pit bulls that were weak or timid were either not bred or destroyed by breeders. With the right training, a dog may keep its instincts in check.
But presented with a small child or another pet that acts incorrectly and the Pit Bull instincts surface
American Staffordshire Terrier | Temperament, Weight, & Facts

In the United States the American Staffordshire Terrier was bred for a stable temperament and adapted for hunting rodents and other vermin and game and for farm work, taking advantage of the breed’s strength and courage. Over time, larger dogs became the norm. American Staffordshire Terriers reached a peak of popularity in the first half of the 20th century; “Pete the Pup” appeared in the Our Gang comedies, and the breed personified the all-American pet.

The American Staffordshire Terrier is affectionate, loyal, and good with children, making it an outstanding family pet. Many authorities note, however, that the breed possesses some level of aggression, especially toward other animals, and they also note that properly bred and socialized dogs do not display innate aggression against humans

That is bullshit

That's pure bullshit.

Bull Shit

American Staffordshire Terrier | Temperament, Weight, & Facts

In the United States the American Staffordshire Terrier was bred for a stable temperament and adapted for hunting rodents and other vermin and game and for farm work, taking advantage of the breed’s strength and courage. Over time, larger dogs became the norm. American Staffordshire Terriers reached a peak of popularity in the first half of the 20th century; “Pete the Pup” appeared in the Our Gang comedies, and the breed personified the all-American pet.

The American Staffordshire Terrier is affectionate, loyal, and good with children, making it an outstanding family pet. Many authorities note, however, that the breed possesses some level of aggression, especially toward other animals, and they also note that properly bred and socialized dogs do not display innate aggression against humans

Yeah the Encyclopedia Britannica is nothing but a comic book

Pit Bull owners will tell you it is not the breed, but the lack of training

upload_2020-1-14_10-24-17.jpeg

But somehow, owners of other breeds do not have such a hard time training their dogs not to kill

Pit Bulls are not even in the top ten of most popular breeds

upload_2020-1-14_10-27-57.jpeg

Yet, they are six times as likely to kill as the next most dangerous dog

Pit Bull owners will tell you it is not the breed, but the lack of training

View attachment 300179

But somehow, owners of other breeds do not have such a hard time training their dogs not to kill
You do know that Pit Bulls have been adopted by idiot drug dealers and gangs for their macho image don't you?

This does not define the breed all it does is highlight the stupidity of the people who tend to own them

View attachment 300180

You're wrong.

Any pitbull can be trained and socialized the fact that they aren't because people are idiots in no way means the breed is inherently dangerous
You are working on the fringes and ignoring the overwhelming number of pit bulls that kill. Not only people but other pets

Labs are the most popular breed and are the same size as pit bulls
Yet, their owners do not have the difficulty training their dogs not to kill that pit bull owners have.

View attachment 300180

You're wrong.

Any pitbull can be trained and socialized the fact that they aren't because people are idiots in no way means the breed is inherently dangerous
You are working on the fringes and ignoring the overwhelming number of pit bulls that kill. Not only people but other pets

Labs are the most popular breed and are the same size as pit bulls
Yet, their owners do not have the difficulty training their dogs not to kill that pit bull owners have.

No I just don't blame the breed like you do.

You are ignoring the fact that behind every bad dog is an even worse human being

She wants the best.

3lppx2.gif

For every purebred animal that a person buys they should adopt two from the animal shelter

I bought my pure breed dog from a registered breeder. Without any issues inflicted by an abusive previous owner.

Buying a shelter dog is like buying a used car from a junk dealer.
I have bought more than one ride from bone row and had a blast with every one of them. The only regret I ever had buying off bone row was a motorcycle that was laid down. I got the bright idea of building a go cart out off. That 650cc motor was a little to much for the dirt, that thing woulda killed me if I had kept messing with it.

PS
One hell of a wild ride though.

Forum List

Back