🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

NYT- A Federal Budget Crisis Months in the Planning

kiwiman127

Comfortably Moderate
Oct 19, 2010
4th Cleanest City in the World-Minneapolis
I really hate to use news resources by any resource viewed as slanted. But I did come across this story by the NYT that I thought might be good for a discussion.

A Federal Budget Crisis Months in the Planning
WASHINGTON — Shortly after President Obama started his second term, a loose-knit coalition of conservative activists led by former Attorney General Edwin Meese III gathered in the capital to plot strategy. Their push to repeal Mr. Obama’s health care law was going nowhere, and they desperately needed a new plan.
Out of that session, held one morning in a location the members insist on keeping secret, came a little-noticed “blueprint to defunding Obamacare,” signed by Mr. Meese and leaders of more than three dozen conservative groups.
It articulated a take-no-prisoners legislative strategy that had long percolated in conservative circles: that Republicans could derail the health care overhaul if conservative lawmakers were willing to push fellow Republicans — including their cautious leaders — into cutting off financing for the entire federal government.
“We felt very strongly at the start of this year that the House needed to use the power of the purse,” said one coalition member, Michael A. Needham, who runs Heritage Action for America, the political arm of the Heritage Foundation. “At least at Heritage Action, we felt very strongly from the start that this was a fight that we were going to pick.”
Last week the country witnessed the fallout from that strategy: a standoff that has shuttered much of the federal bureaucracy and unsettled the nation.
To many Americans, the shutdown came out of nowhere. But interviews with a wide array of conservatives show that the confrontation that precipitated the crisis was the outgrowth of a long-running effort to undo the law, the Affordable Care Act, since its passage in 2010 — waged by a galaxy of conservative groups with more money, organized tactics and interconnections than is commonly known.

========================================
It's a four page article and here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/u...ths-in-the-planning.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0

One of the results is how the shutdown effects the US economy:
A partial shutdown of the federal government will cost the U.S. at least $300 million a day in lost economic output at the start, according to IHS Inc.
While that is a small fraction of the country’s $15.7 trillion economy, the daily impact of a shutdown is likely to accelerate if it continues as it depresses confidence and spending by businesses and consumers.
Lexington, Massachusetts-based IHS, a global market research firm, estimates that its forecast for 2.2 percent annualized growth in the fourth quarter will be reduced 0.2 percentage point in a weeklong shutdown. A 21-day closing like the one in 1995-96 could cut growth by 0.9 to 1.4 percentage point, according to Guy LeBas, chief fixed income strategist at Janney Montgomery Scott LLC in Philadelphia.
“Government spending touches every aspect of the economy, and disruption of spending, more than the direct loss of income, threatens to damage investor and business confidence in ways that can seriously harm economic growth,” LeBas said yesterday in an interview.
Shutdown Will Cost U.S. Economy $300 Million a Day, IHS Says - Bloomberg
==========================================
So there we have it. The shutdown was certainly anticipated as long as close to a year ago, at least according the NYT article and it's having an adverse effect on the very shaky recovery.
As we know the GOP and Tea Party have felt the brunt of the blame for the shutdown, is that fair?
How long will the shutdown continue?
Who will be willing to negotiate where there is no winner take all? I ask that question because I foresee that end-result to be the only end-result.
How much damage to the economy will the sides be willing to allow?
Questions, questions, questions.

Attachments

• $shutdown_impact-800x580.jpg
    $shutdown_impact-800x580.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 65
Funny how Obama ran off saying he would be fiscally responsible, now he calls people who hold him to that terrorists and claims they are holding the country hostage.

Last edited:
Once again..

The Republican House has passed dozens of budget bill and the Senate has not voted on any of them.

Obama has never signed a Budget into law.. Only CRs.

That should be very telling to anyone and everyone except the most blindly partisan liberal hacks.

So? obamacare HAS TO be killed.

I have stated from Day One that I was against any mandates tied to any healthcare reform bill. When the Heritage Foundation proposed mandates requiring citizens have healthcare insurance I was against it and I have stayed steady on the position since 1989. Therefore I am against Obamacare.
However, I do not like the fact that we are having a shutdown which will have a serious effect on the US economy recovering. This will end up extending the recovery and hurting US businesses and the consumer driven economy as long as this shutdown is extended.
Again in Washington, we see ideology over country and anyone who doesn't see that is looking very hard at the Big Picture.

Hmmmmmmmm.............

Federal Budget Crisis Months in the Planning

WASHINGTON — Shortly after President Obama started his second term, a loose-knit coalition of conservative activists led by former Attorney General Edwin Meese III gathered in the capital to plot strategy. Their push to repeal Mr. Obama’s health care law was going nowhere, and they desperately needed a new plan.
Out of that session, held one morning in a location the members insist on keeping secret, came a little-noticed “blueprint to defunding Obamacare,” signed by Mr. Meese and leaders of more than three dozen conservative groups.
It articulated a take-no-prisoners legislative strategy that had long percolated in conservative circles: that Republicans could derail the health care overhaul if conservative lawmakers were willing to push fellow Republicans — including their cautious leaders — into cutting off financing for the entire federal government.
“We felt very strongly at the start of this year that the House needed to use the power of the purse,” said one coalition member, Michael A. Needham, who runs Heritage Action for America, the political arm of the Heritage Foundation. “At least at Heritage Action, we felt very strongly from the start that this was a fight that we were going to pick.”
Last week the country witnessed the fallout from that strategy: a standoff that has shuttered much of the federal bureaucracy and unsettled the nation.
To many Americans, the shutdown came out of nowhere. But interviews with a wide array of conservatives show that the confrontation that precipitated the crisis was the outgrowth of a long-running effort to undo the law, the Affordable Care Act, since its passage in 2010 — waged by a galaxy of conservative groups with more money, organized tactics and interconnections than is commonly known.

========================================
It's a four page article and here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/u...ths-in-the-planning.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0

One of the results is how the shutdown effects the US economy:
A partial shutdown of the federal government will cost the U.S. at least $300 million a day in lost economic output at the start, according to IHS Inc.
While that is a small fraction of the country’s $15.7 trillion economy, the daily impact of a shutdown is likely to accelerate if it continues as it depresses confidence and spending by businesses and consumers.
Lexington, Massachusetts-based IHS, a global market research firm, estimates that its forecast for 2.2 percent annualized growth in the fourth quarter will be reduced 0.2 percentage point in a weeklong shutdown. A 21-day closing like the one in 1995-96 could cut growth by 0.9 to 1.4 percentage point, according to Guy LeBas, chief fixed income strategist at Janney Montgomery Scott LLC in Philadelphia.
“Government spending touches every aspect of the economy, and disruption of spending, more than the direct loss of income, threatens to damage investor and business confidence in ways that can seriously harm economic growth,” LeBas said yesterday in an interview.
Shutdown Will Cost U.S. Economy $300 Million a Day, IHS Says - Bloomberg
==========================================

Last edited:

Forum List

Back