obama birth certificate: more investigation request

OBAMA YOUTUBE VIDS AND LINKS BELOW
The following video clips (youtube) and audio clip (Detroit radio talk show host - Mike in the Morning) are catalogued here and provided for your review. Providing these clips and links does not constitute an "endorsement" by Hickory Hammock Baptist Church of any of the material contained within them. Nor do these clips represent a particular position that Hickory Hammock Baptist Church may take in these matters. These clips are simply clips of "interest" provided for your quick reference.

By Chelsea Schilling
2008 WorldNetDaily

"A radio interview with Kenyan Ambassador Peter N.R.O. Ogego has been widely publicized since the ambassador called President-elect Barack Obama's Kenyan birthplace a "well-known" attraction - but the embassy is now telling WND the hosts misunderstood his comments.

On Nov. 6, only two days after the election, Detroit radio talk-show hosts Mike Clark, Trudi Daniels and Marc Fellhauer on WRIF's "Mike In The Morning" called the Embassy of Kenya in Washington, D.C., to speak with Ambassador Ogego.

The radio hosts were surprised when their light-hearted interview with Ogego reignited suspicions that Obama may have been born in Kenya.

An assistant to the ambassador, referring to herself only as "Trudy," confirmed today that Ogego had indeed participated in the radio interview. But she said the show made leading statements and took the following comments out of context."

So now you're under the delusion she could have said what you want her to say and not what she did say because what she said wasn't damning enough?

I get that right?
i wouldn't/haven't put too much stock in the grandmother interview, it's just one thing, the people interviewed in kenya are more convincing.

Why do you find people interviewed in Kenya for convincing than people interviewed in the United States?

Of course you don't actually find the step grandmother convincing- when she repeatedly says that Barack Obama was not born in Kenya.

Birthers- you can lead them to the truth- but you can't make them believe the truth.
the people in kenya have no political stake.

They had a financial stake. Nobody would pay to interview them if they didn't say something outrageous.
source ?
If Obama a truly born and raised there, he would have lots more relatives than have been interviewed. I wonder why they didn't bother to get their story from any but the very few that have been repeatedly quoted by so many.

Prove your claims.

No need. Any sane person knows all that birther crap is just that.......crap. If you still believe it, you have mental problems that I'm not capable of treating.

Can you explain why all of Obama's early life - before he entered into politics - he himself - claimed to be born in Kenya?

I've been waiting for a libtard to explain that one away for years.
I hope you haven't been holding your breath....those liars never explain anything.

Can't "prove" something that never happened.

Or do YOU have proof that President Obama said ?

Didn't think so.

[emoji90]

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com
I got a file cabinet on Obama. All kind of proof.

Sure, but it's filled with dicks, pictures of dicks, and notes taken concerning dicks.

i wouldn't/haven't put too much stock in the grandmother interview, it's just one thing, the people interviewed in kenya are more convincing.

Why do you find people interviewed in Kenya for convincing than people interviewed in the United States?

Of course you don't actually find the step grandmother convincing- when she repeatedly says that Barack Obama was not born in Kenya.

Birthers- you can lead them to the truth- but you can't make them believe the truth.

They had a financial stake. Nobody would pay to interview them if they didn't say something outrageous.
source ?
If Obama a truly born and raised there, he would have lots more relatives than have been interviewed. I wonder why they didn't bother to get their story from any but the very few that have been repeatedly quoted by so many.
i wonder why he hasn't been nicer to his relatives.

Obama madrassa myth debunked

Bahasa Indonesia: "Barry Soetoro" (Barack Obama) -- "Si Anak yang (meng-)hilang"

Two contrived histories combine to insulate America from the truth about Obama

SDC10614.JPG

SDC10617.JPG

anyone have pics like this from honolulu ?

Last edited:

source ?
You think that has a bearing on where he was born?

source ?
You think that has a bearing on where he was born?
no, i think it has a bearing on where he went to school for a few years.

horizontal_header.gif

gl_hl.gif

Home
National
Sports
Special Reports
Commentaries
Intelligence
Letters
Editorial
aa.gif

Big Issue | Financial Standard | Maddo | Pulse | Style | Society
horizontal_header_grey.gif

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Kenyan-born Obama all set for US Senate
Kenyan-born US Senate hopeful, Barrack Obama, appeared set to take over the Illinois Senate seat after his main rival, Jack Ryan, dropped out of the race on Friday night amid a furor over lurid sex club allegations.

The allegations that horrified fellow Republicans and caused his once-promising candidacy to implode in four short days have given Obama a clear lead as Republicans struggled to fetch an alternative.

Ryan’s campaign began to crumble on Monday following the release of embarrassing records from his divorce. In the records, his ex-wife, Boston Public actress Jeri Ryan, said her former husband took her to kinky sex clubs in Paris, New York and New Orleans.

nh-obama.jpg

Barrack Obama
"It’s clear to me that a vigorous debate on the issues most likely could not take place if I remain in the race," Ryan, 44, said in a statement. "What would take place, rather, is a brutal, scorched-earth campaign – the kind of campaign that has turned off so many voters, the kind of politics I refuse to play."

Although Ryan disputed the allegations, saying he and his wife went to one ‘avant-garde’ club in Paris and left because they felt uncomfortable, lashed out at the media and said it was "truly outrageous" that the Chicago Tribune got a judge to unseal the records.

The Republican choice will become an instant underdog in the campaign for the seat of retiring Republican Senator Peter Fitzgerald, since Obama held a wide lead even before the scandal broke.

"I feel for him actually," Obama told a Chicago TV station. "What he’s gone through over the last three days I think is something you wouldn’t wish on anybody."

The Republican state committee must now choose a replacement for Ryan, who had won in the primaries against seven contenders. Its task is complicated by the fact that Obama holds a comfortable lead in the polls and is widely regarded as a rising Democratic star.

The chairwoman of the Illinois Republican Party, Judy Topinka, said at a news conference, after Ryan withdrew, that Republicans would probably take several weeks to settle on a new candidate.

"Obviously, this is a bad week for our party and our state," she said.

As recently as Thursday, spokesmen for the Ryan campaign still insisted that Ryan would remain in the race. Ryan had defended himself saying, "There’s no breaking of any laws. There’s no breaking of any marriage laws. There’s no breaking of the Ten Commandments anywhere."

upload_2017-6-21_9-59-30-png.134583

the health director pronounced him "natural born" a nebulous legal term at the time (still is).

source ?
"the people in kenya have no political stake."

Source?

Why don't you believe the people in Kenya?
not really. they're proud that he made it.

that they were paid interviews.

i don't know whom to believe, but the night is young.

google is getting so much stronger, i'm interested in what was written around the time... e.g.

Barry Soetoro
Nov 6th, 2008, in IM Posts, Opinion, by Guest Writer
Barry Soetoro aka Barack Obama's Indonesian connection.

Former Menteng student now US President
Obama Barack has been democratically elected President of the US.

Quite an about face for the best democracy money can buy, in view of the Bush presidential se-lection.

But of course, corruption, collusion and nepotism is the sole monopoly of the Third World - or so the deluded denizens of the West repeat to themselves as they hug their knees, rocking back and forth - reminding themselves of how they uphold human rights equally across the board, entirely devoid of double-standards and totally oblivious to race, creed or religion.

Barrak Hussein Obama II was born to a white American Ann Dunham and Kenyan Barrak Hussein Obama Snr, in Nyang'oma Kogelo now in Kenya.

Here the Indonesian link starts.

Ann Dunham married in 1967 Lolo Soetoro, a Javanese, whose own father, in 1946 was killed along with his eldest brother were killed, after which the Dutch army burned down the family's home. Soetoro fled with his mother into the countryside to survive. Incidentally yet more proof of Dutch war crimes - delibrate destruction of civilian property outside the scope of battle.

Pak Lolo Soetoro was an army geologist then later a government relations consultant for Mobil Oil. Obama describes Soetoro as well-mannered, even-tempered, and easy with people.

barry-soetoro.jpg

Barry Soetoro in Indonesia with mother Ann Dunham, step-father Lolo Soetoro, baby-sister Maya Soetoro-Ng.

From age 6 to 10, Obama lived in Jakarta. Age six, Obama attended the Catholic Primary St Francis di Assisi. Much was made of the lie he was educated in a Madrassa - or more accurately a pesantren - this of course was totally untrue. Obama Jnr later attended Model Primary School, Menteng and was registered as a Muslim - as his father was Muslim.

In Obama's own words:

In the Muslim school, the teacher wrote to tell my mother that I made faces during Koranic studies. My mother wasn’t overly concerned. ‘Be respectful,’ she’d say. In the Catholic school, when it came time to pray, I would close my eyes, then peek around the room. Nothing happened. No angels descended. Just a parched old nun and 30 brown children, muttering words.

One of "Berry's" childhood friends was Adi who often visited "Berry's" 16 Jalan Haji Ramli house. Speaking volumes of Dutch "development" at the time the road was of this established middle-class neighbourhood was a dirt lane where Obama used to wile away the hours kicking a soccer ball.

Adi recalled Obama and his friends wore plastic bags over their shoes to walk through the muddy street during the rainy seasons.

Neighborhood Muslims worshiped in a nearby house, which has since been replaced by a larger mosque. Sometimes, when the muezzin sounded the call to prayer, Lolo and Barry would walk to the makeshift mosque together, Adi said.

His mother often went to the church, but Barry was Muslim. He went to the mosque,” Adi said. “I remember him wearing a sarong.”

Obama spent most his spare time hanging out with Adi and other friends at the home of Yunaldi Askiar, a classmate. They used to play a kind of fencing game using sticks, kick a ball up and down the narrow dirt lanes or go swimming in the river behind the school, said Askiar, 42, a car mechanic.

Obama was taller and better dressed than most kids in classes where shoes and socks were still luxuries, so he stood out from the start. As an African American, and the only foreigner, he suffered racial taunts and teasing but never turned to violence.

"At first, everybody felt it was weird to have him here," Israella Dharmawan, his first grade teacher said. "But also they were curious about him, so wherever he went, the kids were following him."

His friends enjoyed playing tricks on Berry: Harmon ASki recalled,

"Sometimes we'd say, 'Barry, do you want a chocolate?’ And we'd give him a chocolate. The next day we'd give him a chocolate again. The third time we'd give him terasi (fermented shrimp paste) wrapped up like chocolate. Obama didn't get mad. He would laugh it off."

Ann Soetoro moved to Yogyakarta, while Obama Jnr studied in Jakarta. She was inspired by Jogja village industries, which became the basis of her 1992 doctoral dissertation.

“She loved living in Java,” said Dr. Dewey, who recalled accompanying Ms. Soetoro to a metalworking village. “People said: ‘Hi! How are you?’ She said: ‘How’s your wife? Did your daughter have the baby?’ They were friends. Then she’d whip out her notebook and she’d say: ‘How many of you have electricity? Are you having trouble getting iron?’ ”

Dunham-Soetoro became a consultant for the United States Agency for International Development on setting up a village credit program, then a Ford Foundation program officer in Jakarta specializing in women’s work. Later, she was a consultant in Pakistan, then joined Indonesia’s oldest bank to work on what is described as the world’s largest sustainable microfinance program, creating services like credit and savings for the poor.

obama-hawaii.jpg

Obama in Hawaii with Maya and Ann and maternal grand-father, shortly after leaving Indonesia.

In his tellingly-titled Memoir, Dreams from My Father, Obama describes his Indonesian interlude as "one long adventure, the bounty of a young boy's life". But he also recalls being troubled by the poverty around him: "the empty look on the faces of farmers the year the rains never came," and the desperation of the disabled beggars who came to the family's door.

"The world was violent, I was learning, unpredictable and often cruel," he writes. Obama and his mother thus we were very well acquainted with the harsh realities of indigenous Indonesians.

Fermina Katarina Sinaga, recalled yojhng Obama in her class: in the common task of class to write an essay titled “My dream: What I want to be in the future.” Obama “wrote ‘I want to be a president,’ ” she said. During a later writing assignment on family, he wrote, “My father is my idol.

The Indonesian connection for Obama and all that shaped him proving once again all things Javanese and indigenous Indonesian the bedrock for the towering monuments built on the foundations of a great civilisation.
LOL- but thanks for providing a photo of Barack Obama in the state he was born in.

Great article by the way-

Fermina Katarina Sinaga, recalled yojhng Obama in her class

lol

OBAMA YOUTUBE VIDS AND LINKS BELOW
The following video clips (youtube) and audio clip (Detroit radio talk show host - Mike in the Morning) are catalogued here and provided for your review. Providing these clips and links does not constitute an "endorsement" by Hickory Hammock Baptist Church of any of the material contained within them. Nor do these clips represent a particular position that Hickory Hammock Baptist Church may take in these matters. These clips are simply clips of "interest" provided for your quick reference.

By Chelsea Schilling
2008 WorldNetDaily

"A radio interview with Kenyan Ambassador Peter N.R.O. Ogego has been widely publicized since the ambassador called President-elect Barack Obama's Kenyan birthplace a "well-known" attraction - but the embassy is now telling WND the hosts misunderstood his comments.

On Nov. 6, only two days after the election, Detroit radio talk-show hosts Mike Clark, Trudi Daniels and Marc Fellhauer on WRIF's "Mike In The Morning" called the Embassy of Kenya in Washington, D.C., to speak with Ambassador Ogego.

The radio hosts were surprised when their light-hearted interview with Ogego reignited suspicions that Obama may have been born in Kenya.

An assistant to the ambassador, referring to herself only as "Trudy," confirmed today that Ogego had indeed participated in the radio interview. But she said the show made leading statements and took the following comments out of context."

Well that is certainly proof.....certainly the mistatement of the Kenyan Ambassador on shock jocks show is much more reliable than the State of Hawaii......LOL....

source ?

Which of his children hasn't he been nice to? Which of his parents? Which of his grandparents?

source ?

anyone have pics like this from honolulu ?

Anyone have pics like this from Kenya?

upload_2017-6-21_14-9-1.jpeg

Punahou School: Barack Obama '79
Early Years
sm-Obama_1979SeniorPortrait.jpg

Barack Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawai‘i on August 4, 1961. His father was an economist from Kenya and his mother a Kansas-born university student. At 10, Obama enrolled as a fifth-grade student at Punahou School after living in Indonesia for four years. His mother, Stanley Ann Dunham Soetoro, decided to send her son back to Honolulu so that he could attend Punahou School, known for its rigorous academic curriculum.

Barrack Hussein Obama admits he was born in Kenya...

first-visit-to-kenya-copy.jpg

Barack Obama Admits he was born in Kenya (Video)

LOL- you Birthers will believe anything you find on the internet.

FALSE: Obama Admits Not Being Born in Hawaii

Nonetheless, the prolonged and continued circulation of this clip as “real” indicates that additional debunking is called for, so we note here that this clip originated with ObamaSnippetsDotCom, a self-identified humor site which regularly takes snippets from video clips of Barack Obama’s speeches, press conferences, and other public appearances, editing and rearranging them to make it appear as if he said things which he did not. (Another example in the same vein from this site presents President Obama’s purportedly acknowledging an intent to create health care reform

death panels.”) Moreover, the original version of this clip (entitled “Birthers’ Delight”) is preceded by a text sequence clearly identifying it as a spoof:

horizontal_header.gif

gl_hl.gif

Home
National
Sports
Special Reports
Commentaries
Intelligence
Letters
Editorial
aa.gif

Big Issue | Financial Standard | Maddo | Pulse | Style | Society

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Kenyan-born Obama all set for US Senate
Kenyan-born US Senate hopeful, Barrack Obama, appeared set to take over the Illinois Senate seat after his main rival, Jack Ryan, dropped out of the race on Friday night amid a furor over lurid sex club allegations.

The allegations that horrified fellow Republicans and caused his once-promising candidacy to implode in four short days have given Obama a clear lead as Republicans struggled to fetch an alternative.

Ryan’s campaign began to crumble on Monday following the release of embarrassing records from his divorce. In the records, his ex-wife, Boston Public actress Jeri Ryan, said her former husband took her to kinky sex clubs in Paris, New York and New Orleans.

nh-obama.jpg

Barrack Obama
"It’s clear to me that a vigorous debate on the issues most likely could not take place if I remain in the race," Ryan, 44, said in a statement. "What would take place, rather, is a brutal, scorched-earth campaign – the kind of campaign that has turned off so many voters, the kind of politics I refuse to play."

Although Ryan disputed the allegations, saying he and his wife went to one ‘avant-garde’ club in Paris and left because they felt uncomfortable, lashed out at the media and said it was "truly outrageous" that the Chicago Tribune got a judge to unseal the records.

The Republican choice will become an instant underdog in the campaign for the seat of retiring Republican Senator Peter Fitzgerald, since Obama held a wide lead even before the scandal broke.

"I feel for him actually," Obama told a Chicago TV station. "What he’s gone through over the last three days I think is something you wouldn’t wish on anybody."

The Republican state committee must now choose a replacement for Ryan, who had won in the primaries against seven contenders. Its task is complicated by the fact that Obama holds a comfortable lead in the polls and is widely regarded as a rising Democratic star.

The chairwoman of the Illinois Republican Party, Judy Topinka, said at a news conference, after Ryan withdrew, that Republicans would probably take several weeks to settle on a new candidate.

"Obviously, this is a bad week for our party and our state," she said.

As recently as Thursday, spokesmen for the Ryan campaign still insisted that Ryan would remain in the race. Ryan had defended himself saying, "There’s no breaking of any laws. There’s no breaking of any marriage laws. There’s no breaking of the Ten Commandments anywhere."

Speaking of Newspaper articles

upload_2017-6-21_14-18-7.jpeg

upload_2017-6-21_14-18-47.png

Chicago Daily Herald 5/3/90- courtesy of WND

Makiki - Obama's Neighborhood - Barack Obama Resources, Hawaii ...
obamasneighborhood.com/makiki.html
Makiki--Introduction & Self-Guided Tour (see below) ... air of the White House, Barack Obama grew up in the unassuming Honolulu neighborhood of Makiki.
Oahu Tour - Obama's Neighborhood - Barack Obama Resources ...
obamasneighborhood.com/pointsofinterest.html
Self Guided Oahu Tour of Obama Points of Interest ... place for a picnic which is precisely whatPresident elect Obama did with his family during a recent visit.
Barry Slept Here - Obama's Neighborhood - Barack Obama ...
obamasneighborhood.com/homes.html
Excluding his four years in Indonesia (between 1967 and 1971), Barack Obama's life was spent in half a dozen residences, primarily in Honolulu's Makiki ...
President Barack Obama Birthplace Moped Honolulu Oahu Tour
www.hawaiimoped.com/barack-obama-moped-tour
Did you know that our 44th president was born and raised in Honolulu? See where he was born, ... Enjoy yourself! View Barack Obama Tour in a larger map.
Obama Tours in Hawaii – Hawaii Travel Guide
www.hawaiilogue.com › Blog › Featured Articles
Michelle Obama was quoted saying, “You can't really understand Barack until you understand ... Lead by “Guide of Oahu,” this tour explores Obama's roots and as guests tour the island they ... Kapiolani Medical Center (place of Obama's birth).
Barack Obama's Hawaii | GoHawaii.com
Barack Obama’s Hawaii | GoHawaii.com
The Hawaiian word kamaaina means someone who is native born or who has ... Here are a few placesPresident Obama has visited on his trips back to Oahu:.
A tour of Obama's Hawaii: Travel Weekly
www.travelweekly.com/Hawaii-Travel/Insights/A-tour-of-Obama-Hawaii
Dec 29, 2016 - Barack Obama is taking his last winter vacation as the country's commander in chief in his home state of Hawaii. ... Obama was born Aug. 4, 1961, at the Kapiolani Hospital for Women & Children in Honolulu. He was raised in ...
Hawaii invites visitors to experience Obama's Oahu - USATODAY.com
Hawaii invites visitors to experience Obama's Oahu - USATODAY.com
Jan 22, 2009 - Local treat: Barack Obama leaves Kokonuts Shave Ice and Snacks on Dec. 26. ... Among the companies offering Obama-themed tours are Best Guides of Oahu ... A look at how his politicalbirthplace of Illinois and his father's ...
Barack Obama Tours - Obama Tours of Hawaii, Africa, and Chicago
www.hawaiiforvisitors.com › Islands › Oahu › Activities › Tours
Information about Barack Obama Hawaii tours featuring sites significant in his life. ... of Honolulu, and driving by the hospital where President Obama was born, ...
Hawaii's latest attraction: Obama tourism - Travel | NBC News
www.nbcnews.com/id/28003461/ns/travel/t/hawaiis-latest-attraction-obama-tourism/
Dec 8, 2008 - Tours of President-elect's childhood home, hangouts sprout up in Honolulu ... where President-elect Barack Obama grew up, in Honolulu. ... of Hope and Hot Springs, where former President Bill Clinton was born and raised.

APTRANS.gif

updated 12/8/2008 2:44:09 PM ET
HONOLULU — It happened to Plains, when Jimmy Carter became president and a tiny hamlet in western Georgia became famous as the hometown of a certain peanut farmer.

It happened to Crawford, Texas, when George Bush took the White House and the town closest to his getaway central Texas ranch blossomed with tourists and the businesses that catered to them.

But Honolulu, which already lures millions of tourists each year, is only beginning to see development of tourism tied to Barack Obama, the Hawaii native son who becomes the 44th president of the United States in January.

The sole existing Obama-related tour is a 90-minute stroll through the middle-class neighborhood where Obama spent most of his preteen and teenage years. It's led by Jack Christenson, a quirky septuagenarian who goes by the moniker Uncle Jack.

Christenson, who has long offered tours around town and asks only for donations, said he started his Obama neighborhood excursion a few weeks ago so tourists can go to "the place where it happened. That brings reality to it."

His tour includes a walk past the apartment tower where Obama and his late grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, lived. There also are stops outside Punahou School, where Obama attended from 1971 until high school graduation in 1979, a smaller apartment building where Obama's mother and sister lived briefly, and the Baskin-Robbins ice cream parlor where he worked.

Besides Uncle Jack, at least two other entrepreneurs are preparing their own for-profit tours. And other established businesses have for months been selling T-shirts festooned with Obama's name or visage.

Advertise
Obama's legacy here should help promote Hawaii as a tourist destination, said Juanita C. Liu, the interim dean of the School of Travel Industry at the University of Hawaii.

"Hawaii has traditionally been associated with sun, sand, recreation and leisure, and now we have the person in the highest office in the country," she said. "So it gives Hawaii greater credibility as well as visibility."

Liu noted that Hawaii's tourism industry is "currently in a downturn. ... But what I can say is (Obama's presidency) certainly is not going to hurt."

But nothing has occurred in Honolulu akin to the tourists that flocked to and the businesses that sprung up in Crawford, Plains or the Arkansas towns of Hope and Hot Springs, where former President Bill Clinton was born and raised.

1. Don't miss these Travel stories

1. Lords of the gourd compete for Punkin Chunkin honors

With teams using more than 100 unique apparatuses to launch globular projectiles a half-mile or more, the 27th annual World Championship Punkin Chunkin event is our pick as November’s Weird Festival of the Month.

2. Airports, airlines work hard to return your lost items
    3. Expert: Tourist hordes threaten Sistine Chapel's art
    4. MGM Grand wants Las Vegas guests to Stay Well
    5. Report: Airlines collecting $36.1B in fees this year
Concierge desks at major hotels in Honolulu report few guests asking for directions to the neighborhood where Obama lived. The visitors bureaus for Oahu and Hawaii report only infrequent requests for such information.

Besides the sites where Obama lived or was schooled, there isn't much to see for those curious about his Hawaii history.

There's Sandy Beach, where he surfed as a teenager and swam as a presidential candidate during his vacation last August; the Chowder House restaurant, where a modest window sign advertises that the former senator was a customer, and other similarly ordinary spots.

That is not deterring Mitch Berger, president of Guides of Oahu. He said customers on his company's nature tours have increasingly asked where Obama lived. So he plans to start 2 1/2-hour minibus tours of just Obama-related sites soon.

"I'm continually getting questions on things that shaped the man who is to become our 44th president," he said.

Another effort, to be called Obama Ohana Tour, expects to start up before Inauguration Day on Jan. 20, said Dianne Washington-Kay, who along with a friend, Mike Irvine, is developing the business. Ohana is a Hawaiian term that means family.

"If people come here and see why this island produced this kind of individual, that will broaden their view as to why Hawaii is a melting pot," said Washington-Kay, who noted that her family lives a few blocks from Obama's Chicago home.

Further, a local writer, Rob Kay, recently launched a Web site devoted to all things Obama and Hawaii. And just before Thanksgiving, the Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau unveiled a site highlighting Obama-related locations at http://www.gohawaii.com/obama.

Advertise
But even a large surge of tourists searching for Obama's childhood hangouts is unlikely to change much about Honolulu, like it did Plains, Hope and Crawford.

In those towns, existing businesses and new shops selling presidential trinkets catered to tourists, gas stations filled up their cars and hotels provided rooms for the night.

"It had a big impact in the beginning," said Marilyn Judy, a school teacher and president of the Crawford Chamber of Commerce. "The tourists came and spent their dollars....Even when the protesters came, they still bought souvenirs and ate in the restaurants."

Slideshow: The heart of Hawaii But Honolulu is a much bigger city, with more than 800,000 residents. Tourists who come here expect a broader experience than just viewing buildings where the president-to-be spent his childhood 30 to 40 years ago. And once Obama-mania fades, Honolulu's enduring tourist attractions will remain.

Not so in Crawford, where Bush-related tourism fell off in recent years. Two gift shops in Crawford have closed and the pace has returned to about where it was before the Bush years, Judy said.

In nearby Waco, tourism business has declined as well, but more the result of gas prices and the recession, said Steve Smith, senior vice president at the Waco Chamber of Commerce.

And so it may be with Obama-related tourism in Honolulu, said Jean Monroe, a Guides of Oahu researcher.

"Whether 20 years from now people are interested in Obama depends entirely on Obama," she said. "As long as people are interested in him, they will want to visit."

one thing this AP article didn't mention that i might ask on the honolulu tour would be "ah... where was he born ?".

Forum List

Back