Obama Bypasses Congress and Bans the Confederate Battle Flag

The U.S. was founded by liberals.

The confederacy was formed to ensure they could maintain four million people in slavery in perpetuity
Nice bending of history. The only similarity between "liberals" then and "liberals" now is that liberals then would be revolting against the authoritarian assholes who call themselves liberals now.

For people who don't like Muslims, their forebears sure brought a lot of them to our shores. Fifteen to thirty percent of the male slaves to the US were Muslim.
As were those fellow Africans (Muslims?) who enslaved them and sold them to Dutch, Portugese and Arab (Muslim) traders, who in turn sold them to Western slave dealers.

Slavery is endemic to the Muslim culture and continues to this day in some parts of their world, the Sudan for one prime example. There a healthy young male can be purchased today for about a thousand U.S. dollars.

That's a pretty good reason to not like Muslims -- and there are more.
The first players in the supply chain were mainly African warlords. They did the capturing and delivered the survivors to the buyers. I don't know the religious preferences of the African slavers. The buyers were primarily European, so it would be safe to say they were probably Christian.

Predominately Muslim areas weren't immune from slaver attacks. Historians know where the slaves were taken from and therefore can estimate the percentage that were likely of the Muslim faith.
Agreed....and slavery still exists in Africa. Of course, they didn't invent slavery. That goes back as far as the human race....oddly enough, back to Africa. :D

well if, IF, this is true, it's a clear violation of his oath to uphold the Constitution.
How so? Did you read the article? FWIW, I think it will be struck down in court, but the President does have authority over government facilities. Just how much remains to be determined.
The article is bullshit! there was NO executive order! Provide the number of the order! It is a typical Right-wing lie parroted by morons

Executive Orders
Who said it was an EO? Does the President need an EO to ban Confederate and Tea Party flags at national military cemeteries and in VA hospitals?

Ban the loser flag where? Wal Mart?
Read the OP link and get a clue. It helps. ;)

Veterans Affairs quietly bans the Confederate flag at cemeteries it runs
The Veterans Affairs Department quietly moved this month to ban flying of Confederate flags from fixed flagpoles at the cemeteries it runs, striking yet another blow against the controversial emblem.

Congress had debated and rejected that change, but the Obama administration decided to move forward anyway, saying it was unilaterally imposing the restrictions.

“In particular, we will amend our policy to make clear that Confederal flags will not be displayed from any permanently fixed flagpole in a national cemetery at any time,” wrote Ronald E. Walters, under secretary for memorial affairs at the VA.

Rep. Jared Huffman, a California Democrat who had pushed for the changes, declared victory after the move, and said it was a rejection of some of the sentiments seen at rallies for GOP presidential hopeful Donald Trump.

“While racist individuals and groups continue to embrace the Confederate battle flag, it has never been more clear that this anachronistic symbol of hatred, slavery, and insurrection should not be promoted or gratuitously displayed on federal property,” Mr. Huffman said in releasing the VA letter last week.

The new policy’s reach is rather slim substantively — currently, Confederate flags were allowed to be flown from VA cemetery flagpoles on Memorial Day and Confederate Memorial Day. But it is the latest in a long-running symbolic battle against the flag.

The confederacy was formed to ensure they could maintain four million people in slavery in perpetuity
Nice bending of history. The only similarity between "liberals" then and "liberals" now is that liberals then would be revolting against the authoritarian assholes who call themselves liberals now.
You don't think the same thing applies with Con-servatives then and Con-servatives now?

For people who don't like Muslims, their forebears sure brought a lot of them to our shores. Fifteen to thirty percent of the male slaves to the US were Muslim.
As were those fellow Africans (Muslims?) who enslaved them and sold them to Dutch, Portugese and Arab (Muslim) traders, who in turn sold them to Western slave dealers.

Slavery is endemic to the Muslim culture and continues to this day in some parts of their world, the Sudan for one prime example. There a healthy young male can be purchased today for about a thousand U.S. dollars.

The first players in the supply chain were mainly African warlords. They did the capturing and delivered the survivors to the buyers. I don't know the religious preferences of the African slavers. The buyers were primarily European, so it would be safe to say they were probably Christian.

Predominately Muslim areas weren't immune from slaver attacks. Historians know where the slaves were taken from and therefore can estimate the percentage that were likely of the Muslim faith.
Agreed....and slavery still exists in Africa. Of course, they didn't invent slavery. That goes back as far as the human race....oddly enough, back to Africa. :D
The human race started in Africa but the history of slavery started with the written accounts of it, or with drawings depicting it. Your ancestors are the same as Black's ancestors so what is your point?

well if, IF, this is true, it's a clear violation of his oath to uphold the Constitution.
How so? Did you read the article? FWIW, I think it will be struck down in court, but the President does have authority over government facilities. Just how much remains to be determined.
The article is bullshit! there was NO executive order! Provide the number of the order! It is a typical Right-wing lie parroted by morons

Executive Orders
Who said it was an EO? Does the President need an EO to ban Confederate and Tea Party flags at national military cemeteries and in VA hospitals?
Who said the president banned anything? The OP that's who. The president didn't ban anything EO or otherwise. The racist flag was banned by the National Cemetery Administration.

It sounds like you're saying that the American revolution was a conservative rebellion against a liberal English monarchy.

That's a novel point of view.

I do't think muslims enslaved other muslims. The assortment of different players in the slave trade makes the dialogue on who did what incredibly complex. Some Africans involved in the ST were neither Muslim or Christian…they just wanted to get rid of their captured enemies for a price. Centuries ago Black Israelis from the tribe of Dan and others migrated from Yemen and other ME locations into the African interior where they would take on the characteristics of the local populaces. But their Hebraic rituals persisted and separated them from their neighbors. (See the Lemba).

Muslim Blacks would definitely be inclined to capture Christian or Israeli Blacks and sell them off. And I think Muslim Blacks who brought their human prey to market were themselves captured by the White slavers whey tried to deal with.

You don't think the same thing applies with Con-servatives then and Con-servatives now?
Yes I do. In fact, both Liberals and Conservatives now have more in common with Tories than our Founders. You included.

Who said the president banned anything? The OP that's who. The president didn't ban anything EO or otherwise. The racist flag was banned by the National Cemetery Administration.
I always fascinated by a person who lies then compounds that lie with another lie. Thanks for completely ignoring my post including the link. It tells me all I have to know about your integrity, intelligence and level of racism and partisanship.

The human race started in Africa but the history of slavery started with the written accounts of it, or with drawings depicting it. Your ancestors are the same as Black's ancestors so what is your point?
You think history began with writing? Interesting. IIRC, it began with the development of both agriculture and domestication of animals.

Yes, we all have the same ancestors. Yet you're a racist and I'm not. Why?

It sounds like you're saying that the American revolution was a conservative rebellion against a liberal English monarchy.

That's a novel point of view.
No, I'm not. Try again.
Then please translate: The only similarity between "liberals" then and "liberals" now is that liberals then would be revolting against the authoritarian assholes who call themselves liberals now.

Then please translate: The only similarity between "liberals" then and "liberals" now is that liberals then would be revolting against the authoritarian assholes who call themselves liberals now.
Sorry, I don't speak Arabic. Perhaps this will help:

Yes I do. In fact, both Liberals and Conservatives now have more in common with Tories than our Founders. You included.

The US government is removing, 150 years later, the battle flag of the traitors to the nation? And they have a problem with this?

It would appear losing, after causing 650,000 deaths, has a price. The confederate states of dipshittia should have thought of the consequences before starting it. They're lucky they weren't made to take down every confederate flag in 1865 and eat them.

Non issue.

It's unfortunate that our education system does not teach freedom of speech is.

If it did, we would not have posts like this.

Nobody living fought in that war.

Are you telling me I should not be allowed to fly the flags of Germany, Japan, or Italy ?

Where in the article are you prevented from flying a flag.

Yes enlighten the masses with your incredible mental presence svengali.

^ This.

The US government is removing, 150 years later, the battle flag of the traitors to the nation? And they have a problem with this?

It would appear losing, after causing 650,000 deaths, has a price. The confederate states of dipshittia should have thought of the consequences before starting it. They're lucky they weren't made to take down every confederate flag in 1865 and eat them.

Non issue.
These men stood side by side and fought and died for their nation and what they felt were their constitutional rights. Guess we must ban British flag from graves in USA of those troops who died in Revolutionary War and War of 1812. Great Britain did not ban slavery until 1831. Guess British flag is a symbol of hate?

You know, if after the civil war started the entire south had said "we don't care about slaves, here we are freeing them all right now" I would say yes they were fighting for something more noble than defending an economy built on slavery. They didn't and they weren't. Read up on how blacks fighting for the North were treated when captured by southern soldiers. Think Isis.

England or any other foreign entity is a Red Herring and not worthy of comment.
It was not all about slavery. Lincoln even said as much. It was a constitutional crisis. "Could the states leave the Union after ratification? Was it a binding contract?" Slavery was put into the popular history after communist Carl Sandburg wrote his biography of Lincoln.

Love the Cons historical revisionism.

The Confederate Slave states attempted to secede to protect their 'god given' states rights to own human property.

They even warned prior to the election that they would secede if Lincoln was elected- because they thought he would try to ban slavery

The North was not in the war to end slavery- but it did.
The South tried to secede to protect slavery- but ended up destroying its own slave society.

[...]
Please do not misconstrue my comment as having a pro-slavery context but I must disagree with your statement that Confederate rebels were "traitors." They were secessionists and secession is not treason unless it takes place during a war with a foreign nation. Secession is not betrayal.

I am not a Southerner. I'm from Brooklyn. What I learned during the time I was stationed in North Carolina is all contemporary White Southerners are not descendant from slave-owners, nor did they, or do they, benefit in any way from the practice of slavery. In fact many White Southerners were, and are, opposed to it. Some of them quite bitterly.

Someone, I don't know who, has observed that; "The South dislikes the Negro as a race but accepts him as a person, while the North accepts the Negro as a race but rejects him as a person."

They fired on a United States fort. The Confederate commanding officer that gave the command to fire on Fort Sumter was a junior officer under the command of the Union commander in Fort Sumter. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what your enemies do. The mechanisms were in place in the democracy for them to attempt to vote their views into law, which they did up until the late 1850's. But when they weren't getting their way anymore they decided this form of government isn't for us.

And remember- when we say "Union" what we are talking about are United States Army troops.

Yes- the Confederate slave states started the war when they fired on American troops in an American fort.

Forum List

Back