Obama says US must shift cars, trucks off of oil

Just because Europe has always used force to control science does not mean the United States has to do the same thing. Gates could fund the SSC by himself, the real problem is the government wouldn't let him.
I can never understand what posters think they achieve by posting nonsense.

I don't understand why people have so much trouble understanding that governments do not ask, they tell.

QW -

At the risk of stating something that I am sure everyone on the thread except QW understands - CERN is not owned or run by a government.

Countries participating in CERN do so on an entirely optional basis. There is no "force" of any kind.

QW -

At the risk of stating something that I am sure everyone on the thread except QW understands - CERN is not owned or run by a government.

Countries participating in CERN do so on an entirely optional basis. There is no "force" of any kind.

Quite true, it is run by 20 governments, and governments do not ask.

QW -

This is what you said in post #23:

"If CERN were to come up with a new form of electricity production and a patent for it - I suspect that might be worth the $5 in taxes I paid into it."

Unless taxes where you are are volunatry that money was taken by force by what ever means they use to collect taxes. Not really a hard concept for a third grader to understand.

OK Texas -

Finland is a member state of the CERN organisation, and uses CERN as a research base. Thus, some of my tax euros go into running CERN.

This does not mean Finland was forced to join CERN!!

OK Texas -

Finland is a member state of the CERN organisation, and uses CERN as a research base. Thus, some of my tax euros go into running CERN.

You're correct, but were you given a choice to help pay for it or not. If the answer is no, and they didn't have a referendum on the subject then your support as an individual was, by definition, forced.

OK Texas -

You're correct, but were you given a choice to help pay for it or not. If the answer is no, and they didn't have a referendum on the subject then your support as an individual was, by definition, forced.

Even if the majority voted yes, if you voted no, then you were forced.

OKTexas -

While I understand your point, in a multi-party democracy we get to choose which government we want. I voted for a party who wished to join CERN, so from my point of view there is no force involved.

QW -

Paying for it may be optional for the government, but no asked you to agree to it.

OKTexas -

While I understand your point, in a multi-party democracy we get to choose which government we want. I voted for a party who wished to join CERN, so from my point of view there is no force involved.

The fact that you happen to agree with that particular expenditure doesn't negate the fact that you have no choice in financially supporting it, that's the point of government force.

OK Texas -

It does, however, mean that the government is involved, and that, as a result, force is being used.

OKTexas -

The fact that you are holding the gun does not mean there was no force involved, it just means you are the one using it.

OK Texas -

It does, however, mean that the government is involved, and that, as a result, force is being used.

Nonsense. You live in a democracy, you choose your government. If you want to vote for a party that wants to do away with taxes, no one is going to stop you.

OK Texas -

Nonsense. You live in a democracy, you choose your government. If you want to vote for a party that wants to do away with taxes, no one is going to stop you.

I didn't chose them, they chose themselves. I never vote for Republicans or Democrats.

Often times government must lead the way.

What lubricates the bearings and shafts of these "electrical" engines? What produces the bulk electricity world wide?
The use of petroleum products, coal, and natural gas will be in use long after you and I are dust. Get used to it, just as your grandchildren will be used to it well into the 22nd Century.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back