Obamacare just ruined my life

Man-o-man are you an imbecile.

A significantly large portion of the U.S. health care market has nothing to do with profit - it has to do with government transfer payments and price controls...which drive up the cost for everyone else. We do not have anything remotely akin to a free market in health care, bub.

Another pea brain parrot squawks.

FALSE...government has done a much better job of keeping prices down than the private 'for profit' insurance cartels.

Says WHO? How about a market-driven entrepreneur??

Is Medicare Cost Effective?

brody_243x200.jpg

Bill Brody, M.D. President, Salk Institute for Biomedical Research

Dr. William R. Brody, an acclaimed physician-scientist, entrepreneur and university leader, joined the Salk Institute for Biological Studies on March 2, 2009 after 12 years as president of The Johns Hopkins University.

johns_hopkins_medicine.jpg

June 13, 2003

Is Medicare Cost Effective?

I recently spent a half-day in a meeting discussing a number of issues regarding Medicare. Most of us on the provider side of the street view Medicare as this multiheaded bureaucracy with more pages of regulations than the Internal Revenue Service's tax code. However, I came away from the meeting with some (to me at least) shocking revelations:

Medicare beneficiaries are overwhelmingly satisfied with their Medicare coverage, except for the absence of prescription drug benefits;

The administrative costs of Medicare are lower than any other large health plan.

In fact, Medicare is very efficient by any objective means:

According to the Urban Institute's Marilyn Moon, who testified before the Senate Committee on Aging, Medicare expenditures between 1970 and 2000 grew more slowly than those of the private sector. Initially, from 1965 through the 1980s, Medicare and private insurance costs doubled in tandem. Then Medicare tightened up, and per capita expenditures grew more slowly than private insurance, creating a significant gap. In the 1990s, private insurers got more serious about controlling their costs, and the gap narrowed. But by 2000, Medicare per capita expenditures remained significantly lower than the private sector.

Moon argues somewhat convincingly that Medicare has been a success. While not necessarily denying that certain reforms might be needed, she stresses the importance of preserving three essential tenets of the program:

1. Its universal coverage nature creates the ability to redistribute benefits to those who are neediest.

2. It pools risk in order to share the burdens of health care among the healthy and the sick.

3. Through Medicare, the government protects the rights of all beneficiaries to essential health care.

It has been argued that, in part, Medicare's cost effectiveness arises from the fact that it does not need to expend funds on marketing and sales-functions that are obligatory for the success of competitive, private-sector health plans. Moreover, some argue that the competitive model for health insurance has not been successful. In a market-driven economy, the healthy can and will change health plans for savings of only a few dollars a month, whMedicare beneficiaries are overwhelmingly satisfied with their Medicare coverage, except for the absence of prescription drug benefits;ile the sick must remain in their existing plan in order to retain their physicians. Such behaviors lead to asymmetric risk pools and cost inequities.

This was all sobering news to a market-driven entrepreneur such as yours truly. However, given the perverse incentives that frequently drive behavior in health care, my take-home lesson is that there are examples in the success of Medicare we can apply to other sectors of our population.

From the article:
Medicare beneficiaries are overwhelmingly satisfied with their Medicare coverage, except for the absence of prescription drug benefits;

Actually you do get prescription drugs under medicare Part B. Most people only pay twenty percent of the cost of prescription. There is also a plan under madicaid called "extra help" where you only pay about $2.50 per prescriptions and in a lot of cases, zero.

Bush is credited with getting part b passed.

I agree with most except, the drug coverage is part D. My wife has it.

www.medicare.gov/part-d/*

Medicare part A is the basic hospitalization insurance. Part B is the medical insurance, which has that 20% deductible. Part C is Medicare Advantage.

Everyone that has Medicare Part B pays a premium for their insurance, it's not exactly a free ride.

And yes, Medicaid is available with that "extra-help" in most counties. Yes, often free.

Medicare isn't perfect, but then again, Kaiser was a real problem too, as private insurance. Medicare has been much better because of the choice of doctors.

Why wouldn't medicare recipients like the medicare ponzi scheme? The only people that don't like ponzis are the ones that get left holding the empty bag at the end.

Why wouldn't medicare recipients like the medicare ponzi scheme? The only people that don't like ponzis are the ones that get left holding the empty bag at the end.

There you go with the bullshit use of "ponzi scheme". Do you also use "gay" and "doo doo head"?
What are you some sort of retard?

By any measure SS and Medicare are most certainly ponzis.

Or perhaps you can show me your account number and balance of your SS and Medicare deposits.

Last edited:

There you go with the bullshit use of "ponzi scheme". Do you also use "gay" and "doo doo head"?

Or perhaps you can show me your account number and balance of your SS and Medicare deposits.

By no accounting, except in your personal definition, are SS or Medicare a ponzi scheme.

"A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation"

What part of that don't you get?

All your doing is saying "Ponzi is bad and I don't like it. I don't like Medicare, there fore it is a ponzi scheme". The fact that you don't like it has no relevance on reality.

What are you, some sort of retard?

Last edited:

By no accounting, except in your personal definition, are SS or Medicare a ponzi scheme.

All your doing is saying "Ponzi is bad and I don't like it. I don't like Medicare, there fore it is a ponzi scheme". The fact that you don't like it has no relevance on reality.

Ponzi (webster): an investment swindle in which some early investors are paid off with money put up by later ones in order to encourage more and bigger risks.

The cost of SS and Medicare have gone, up or down over history? Is the money coming more from later investors or out of interest from earlier investors?

Last edited:

SS and Medicare don't come close to the definition of a Ponze scheme. Not even remotely.

Ponzi (webster): an investment swindle in which some early investors are paid off with money put up by later ones in order to encourage more and bigger risks.

The cost of SS and Medicare have gone, up or down over history? Is the money coming more from later investors or out of interest from earlier investors?

Yeah, what part of fraudulent and swindle don't you get, except for the "I don't like it part"?

You do know what insurance is, right? Automobile, homeowners, flood, fire, business, liability? Do these terms ring any bells, except "I don't like it"?

You are some sort of retard......

SS and Medicare are not investments. Even if they were, where are the "investors" that have been denied a return? Has anyone who put into these insurance programs been denied because the money wasn't available to pay them when they reached the point that they expected to get a payout?

Yeah, what part of fraudulent and swindle don't you get, except for the "I don't like it part"?

You do know what insurance is, right? Automobile, homeowners, flood, fire, business, liability? Do these terms ring any bells, except "I don't like it"?

The act makes it fraud, the swindle, is in the eye of the beholder, but clear nonetheless. The fact that SS/Medicare is an unfunded liability to the tune of many tens of trillions of dollars is absolute proof of my statements. The only thing keeping SS/Medicare afloat is the full faith and credit of current taxpayers. If this was a "corporate" pension plan kept afloat by corporate income, the corporation would have gone bankrupt and the corporate officers put in jail for fraud.

SS/Medicare is not insurance either. Insurance companies are required to keep assets on line to pay premiums. Insurance, other than retirement and ADD policies, are not investment schemes and have to go by certain guidelines, each of which are not met by the SS/Medicare ponzis.

SS and Medicare are not investments. Even if they were, where are the "investors" that have been denied a return? Has anyone who put into these insurance programs been denied because the money wasn't available to pay them when they reached the point that they expected to get a payout?

So ponzi schemes are ok as long as there are laws to force everyone to join and pay for it no matter how many times the cost doubles over the decades?

The act makes it fraud, the swindle, is in the eye of the beholder, but clear nonetheless. The fact that SS/Medicare is an unfunded liability to the tune of many tens of trillions of dollars is absolute proof of my statements. The only thing keeping SS/Medicare afloat is the full faith and credit of current taxpayers. If this was a "corporate" pension plan kept afloat by corporate income, the corporation would have gone bankrupt and the corporate officers put in jail for fraud.

SS/Medicare is not insurance either. Insurance companies are required to keep assets on line to pay premiums. Insurance, other than retirement and ADD policies, are not investment schemes and have to go by certain guidelines, each of which are not met by the SS/Medicare ponzis.

Not only do you not understand what a Ponzi scheme is, which happens to be a clearly defined term, your claim that SS is an unfunded liability indicates your complete lack of knowledge about how SS is funded and the assets that SS actually has. Your statement that SS is not an insurance and comparison of it to a pension fund shows your total lack of even knowing what SS is.

Not only do you not understand what a Ponzi scheme is, which happens to be a clearly defined term, your claim that SS is an unfunded liability indicates your complete lack of knowledge about how SS is funded and the assets that SS actually has. Your statement that SS is not an insurance and comparison of it to a pension fund shows your total lack of even knowing what SS is.
Maybe you should read up before you continue embarrassing yourself. The feds spent your SS. It's gone. All you have is an IOU from the federal government.
Social Security in the red this year - Washington Times

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323353204578127374039087636.html

The actual liabilities of the federal government—including Social Security, Medicare, and federal employees' future retirement benefits—already exceed $86.8 trillion

Last edited:

Maybe you should read up before you continue embarrassing yourself. The feds spent your SS. It's gone. All you have is an IOU from the federal government.
Social Security in the red this year - Washington Times

Cox and Archer: Why $16 Trillion Only Hints at the True U.S. Debt - WSJ.com

The actual liabilities of the federal government—including Social Security, Medicare, and federal employees' future retirement benefits—already exceed $86.8 trillion

This is why I hate links. Did you even read those links. The first one is from 2010 and if you read more than the first paragraph you would know it talks about a one year decrease in PAYROLL CONTRIBUTION funds collected but projects increased funds in the following years (after 2009). The article clearly points out that dips and jumps can be expected and are routine. The secound article is a political piece that calls SS an unfunded liability while it admits to the SS Trust Reserve. That should clue you in that it is a distorted political propagand piece. It's point is that the reserve fund consist of IOU's from the US government. The only way those funds would not be available is if the US government becomes deadbeats and decides to not pay it's loans.
The current SS Trust Reserves hold more than 2.7 trillion dollars. The assets increased by over 50 billion dollars in 2012, making your first link pretty much a useless link since it's predictions were only somewhat correct with the overall judgement being incorrect.

You realize of course that 50b is a trickle, and that the only thing keeping that 2.7t from disappearing is current revenue from your grand children that is at roughly double the % of income that you had to pay right?

But hey, if you are good with getting away with paying 7.5% and your children paying 15%, who am I to stop you from being a despicable human being.

Last edited:
if you were correct and you're not, that would be the medicare recipients and not you.

Correct. I've got about 15years to go before I get to screw my children and grandchildren over by collecting on my ss/med checks.

translation: browneye has never had a job where SS was deducted!
or he's too egotistical to admit he's wrong.

Forum List

Back