🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Official Coronavirus Thread - Up to the minute Coronavirus map and count.

In an "abundance of caution" L.A. County just shut down close to 95% of all economic activity. All that remains open are grocery stores, pharmacies, financial institutions, caregivers, mail services and restaurants serving takeout and delivery orders, among others.

189 deaths in three months within a population of 327 million. That's the approximate death rate for common cold complications in the sick and elderly.

Is the cure worse than the disease? You damn betcha.

What is wrong with you?
It looks like what they are doing in California is working, 73 new case compared to:
5,000+ in New York
930 in New Jersey
197 in Michigan
164 in Florida
Yes, these restrictions are a pain in the ass and the recession is going to be painful for all, but the alternative of letting the virus run it's course which would result in hundreds of thousands of cases and critical care unavailable to most Americans would be worse.

+1 million. It hasn't been easy to shelter in place and now the governor has martial arts lockdown on the table if not enough people are following. It could mean using drones to patrol the streets and warn citizens. Maybe even ticket them or flag them for arrest. They may even want to track you via your cell phone. I don't know how the SF- Bay Area area nor how Los Angeles are doing tho. Rumors were we were going to martial law this week, but maybe your good news will prevent it from going into action.

Spain is reporting over 400 deaths in the last 24 hours, the majority of new deaths reported world wide. The U.S. is reporting 45, 39 of which appear to be in New York.

Italy seems to be leveling out with no new cases (I realize it is early to tell).

I also realize that these are localized pockets and that is the scary thing. Right now, most big cities are doing O.K. But, it could easily get away from them if people don't do what they should.

New York is complaining about people not social distancing. Is that really the reason they are having the biggest woes ?

If you're using Worldometers, those numbers come in whenever they come in, so a quick glance may or may not tell you something especially if there's no number present. And with the exception of China they're reset each day at 00:00 UTC (20h00 Eastern). There's also a "Now/Yesterday" button at the top that lets you compare what's there now with yesterday's totals.

As far as localization I keep referring to these --- a NYT map of the US showing areas of concentration here

--- and a state-by-state listing on this page which carries state news and breaks down into county-level detail. These are useful to determine what's going on in one's own back yard.

Worldometers is showing that NY just got hit with 5,000 new cases in the last 16 hours. People can say testing...but the deaths from NY/NJ are most of what is happening in the U.S.

Spain is reporting over 400 deaths in the last 24 hours, the majority of new deaths reported world wide. The U.S. is reporting 45, 39 of which appear to be in New York.

Italy seems to be leveling out with no new cases (I realize it is early to tell).

I also realize that these are localized pockets and that is the scary thing. Right now, most big cities are doing O.K. But, it could easily get away from them if people don't do what they should.

New York is complaining about people not social distancing. Is that really the reason they are having the biggest woes ?

If you're using Worldometers, those numbers come in whenever they come in, so a quick glance may or may not tell you something especially if there's no number present. And with the exception of China they're reset each day at 00:00 UTC (20h00 Eastern). There's also a "Now/Yesterday" button at the top that lets you compare what's there now with yesterday's totals.

As far as localization I keep referring to these --- a NYT map of the US showing areas of concentration here

--- and a state-by-state listing on this page which carries state news and breaks down into county-level detail. These are useful to determine what's going on in one's own back yard.

Worldometers is showing that NY just got hit with 5,000 new cases in the last 16 hours. People can say testing...but the deaths from NY/NJ are most of what is happening in the U.S.

That makes sense, since NYC has (a) tremendous numbers of international flights coming through three airports, and (b) its population is so densely packed. For a virus that's winning the jackpot.

Trying out this new format...

Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Serious,
Critical
Tot Cases/
1M pop
China81,093+393,270+972,7035,1201,74956
Italy59,1385,4767,02446,6383,000978
USA34,755+1,209452+3317834,125795105
Spain28,7681,7722,57524,4211,785615
Germany24,8739426624,51323297
Iran21,6381,6857,91312,040258
France16,0186742,20013,1441,74624

Cool.

Now you can go back to celebrating how we're third in world with number of cases. Are you gonna pop the champagne if we become second?

Isn't that "special" how you can take simple raw, factual, neutral numbers and douse them in your own childish emotions.

In the previous format JimBowie1958 was putting up occasional screenshots of this same table to keep us up with what was going on, and it was very helpful in terms of disseminating the information. Now we can more easily show the table with a click. Wanted to test it out. And all you can think is "oboy, here's my chance to throw a hissyfit". Grow up.

I said nothing against your table, I said it's cool.

What I did said is that you're celebrating rise in number of infected in US, which is not unexpected from leftist hack. All that's left for you is to praise how Chinese did better than us... oh wait, you did that too.

I AIN'T THE ONE RENDERING VALUE JUDGMENTS HERE, Schmucko. That guy is now appearing in your mirror.

As I said --- grow the fuck up.

Your previous posts says otherwise.
You can't even hide how happy you are with rise of Americans being infected.
Tell us, what bottle you're saving for USA reaching #1.

Basically, this is what has happened. In 2009, we beat the swine flu as the pandemic spread, but we knew we had it right away and was able to develop a vaccine for it.

Fast forward to 2020, the COVID-19 virus is beating us. It mutated so we do not know we have it right away and pass it along. The only way we know we have it is by testing. Also, it can be passed along easier. It has mutated so we can't develop a vaccine against it easily. It wants to kills us; it is the predator now. Thus, it may spread to your lungs via pneumonia or ARDS. That can kill at any age. Moreover, you can get it a second time even after you've recovered. If it fails to kill you the first time, then it can try again. Moreover, if you get sick then there aren't enough beds. You may just die in the halls.

To be clear, SARS-CoV-2 is not the flu. It causes Covid 19, a disease with different symptoms, spreads and kills more readily, and belongs to a completely different family of viruses. For a virologist, a comparison between the two is like a comparison of apples and bananas. This family, the coronaviruses, includes just six other members that infect humans. Four of them have been gently annoying humans for more than a century, causing a third of the common colds. The other two—MERS and SARS both cause far more severe disease.

Contrary to the wisdom of Sci-Fi fans, mutations do not spell the end of life as we know it. Viruses are continually changing through mutation and recombination. There have been over 100 different mutations of the SARS-CoV-2 recorded. Those changes can be harmful, neutral, or favorable to humans. Mutations that interfere with essential virus functions do not survive. So to say the virus is mutated is a given because that's what viruses of this type do. Dealing with mutations of a virus in developing a vaccine is simple part of the process because nearly all RNA viruses mutate.

It's unclear whether people who recovery from COVID-19 will be immune to reinfection. There is some anecdotal evidence that you can be reinfected but also there are clinical tests with monkeys that says you can't. There is simple not enough research to reach a conclusion. After infection, antibodies are produced but then the levels slowly decline and people become susceptible again. The question is what is that rate? Is it weeks, months, years, or a lifetime?

Stating that you can become reinfected after recovering from the virus falls under the category of fear mongering rather than facts.

US death toll is almost 500 with 1000 in critical condition and 6000 new cases
(that we know of)
>20,000 died since October with the flu. why doesn't that bother you?
If we had the same number of COVID19 cases as we have flu the death toll would be 200,000 as it is ten times more infectious than the common flu. That is why this is such a big deal. All preventable death bothers me, however as with any new virus, where our population has no antibodies to fight it, the death train is one we have limited abilities to stop.
yep, I agree. but of course the stupid of the left is paramount in here. any hospitals near you with beds filled with patients with the virus?
Thankfully, at the moment, only 17 people in this state have tested positive and only 7 are in our ICU here. That can change drastically in a day however. The potential of this virus to kill hundreds and thousands is very real.

All elective surgery's have been canceled as every bed and ICU space will be needed if this takes off.

I am waiting with great interest on the NY drug trial and if it follows what they are seeing in Italy and other countries response rates. We will know in a matter of days if the drugs work.
There may be anecdotal evidence that the drug works very soon, but until the various clinical trials are completed we won't know to what degree it works and what "works" really means. I assume different doses are being used so that information will be critical. The drug may lessen symptoms, slow the progression of the disease or offer some protection, then again it may do little or nothing in all but a few cases.

This drug has few serious side effect but those side ffects can be really important to people who are very ill.

From the LiveScience update page for my state:

>> Post 16: March 23, 10 a.m.
New confirmed coronavirus case numbers that the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services released Monday showed a smaller increase than the day before for the first time in several days.​
Still, the addition of 42 cases to the official statewide tally, bringing the total to 297, shows continued spread of the virus. Since this represents the results of tests taken several days earlier in most cases, it’s a snapshot of who had the virus and was sick enough to be tested a few days ago. <<​

It's not much but it's something of a slowdown, we would hope :eusa_pray:

New confirmed coronavirus case numbers that the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services released Monday showed a smaller increase than the day before for the first time in several days.​
Still, the addition of 42 cases to the official statewide tally, bringing the total to 297, shows continued spread of the virus. Since this represents the results of tests taken several days earlier in most cases, it’s a snapshot of who had the virus and was sick enough to be tested a few days ago. <<​

same in Illinois smaller numbers.

That makes sense, since NYC has (a) tremendous numbers of international flights coming through three airports, and (b) its population is so densely packed. For a virus that's winning the jackpot.
and NYC is a sanctuary city

Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Serious,
Critical
Tot Cases/
1M pop
China81,093+393,270+972,7035,1201,74956
Italy63,927+4,7896,077+6017,43250,4183,2041,057
USA41,569+8,023504+8518740,8781,040126
Spain33,089+4,3212,207+4353,35527,5272,355708
Germany29,056+4,183118+2442228,51623347
Iran23,049+1,4111,812+1278,37612,861274
France19,856+3,838860+1862,20016,7962,082304
S. Korea8,961+64111+73,1665,68459175
Switzerland8,547+1,073118+201318,298141988
UK6,650+967335+541356,1802098
Netherlands4,749+545213+3424,534435277
Austria4,306+72421+594,27614478
Belgium3,743+34288+134013,254322323
Norway2,547+16210+362,53141470
Portugal2,060+46023+9142,02347202
Sweden2,046+11225+4162,005104203
Canada2,035+56523+33201,692154

That bold number (126) is most concerning. Because about ten days ago that number was six; it has multiplied by a factor of 21.

(did not use Insert Table, just pasted in raw)

Click on header for updated page

It seems almost a certainty that recovery is going to be scattered across the country since the infection rate depends on precautions people take, population density, and when the first cases appeared. We will probably see some states that previous had a number of new cases with none while other states are still seeing their numbers doubling every few days.

Last edited:

and NYC is a sanctuary city

What the fuck does that mean? A sanctuary for viruses?

It seems almost certainly that recovery is going to be scattered across the country since the infection rate depends on precautions people take, population density, and when the first cases appeared. We will probably see some states that previous had a number of new cases with none while other states are still seeing their numbers doubling every few days.

Absolutely. If you check Washington for example its number of Recoveries has outpaced number of Deaths (124 to 95) as have most countries that started seeing infections before we did. Our overall national rate is still well behind but that will reverse given enough time for those active cases to recover.

It seems almost certainly that recovery is going to be scattered across the country since the infection rate depends on precautions people take, population density, and when the first cases appeared. We will probably see some states that previous had a number of new cases with none while other states are still seeing their numbers doubling every few days.

Absolutely. If you check Washington for example its number of Recoveries has outpaced number of Deaths (124 to 95) as have most countries that started seeing infections before we did. Our overall national rate is still well behind but that will reverse given enough time for those active cases to recover.
based on what?

He called in the ninjas ?
This could get ugly.

Haha. I live where the governor works and I'm hearing rumors of martial LAW lockdown starting this week. We're discussing drone patrols and what not. The drones will give out information to the homeless about corona that they can't get elsewhere. It also tells people congregating to go home or move along. That said, one of the harder hit areas is Santa Clara County or Silicon Valley. You can bet they have more sophisticated drones to identify violators. They can use facial recognition to issue tickets or even warrants for arrest. We're a real ID state starting this year. It could include cell phone tracking.

Maybe the guv will call out the ninjas if people still do not comply and are acting like it's an extended vacation. Maybe the drones will be able to return fire if fired upon. I dunno.

When discussing the progress a state has made controlling the virus, the number of new cases is the key statistic to watch. Washington had a large number of deaths in early stages of the epidemic due the infection of nursing home with many patients just hanging on to life by a thread.

Basically, this is what has happened. In 2009, we beat the swine flu as the pandemic spread, but we knew we had it right away and was able to develop a vaccine for it.

Fast forward to 2020, the COVID-19 virus is beating us. It mutated so we do not know we have it right away and pass it along. The only way we know we have it is by testing. Also, it can be passed along easier. It has mutated so we can't develop a vaccine against it easily. It wants to kills us; it is the predator now. Thus, it may spread to your lungs via pneumonia or ARDS. That can kill at any age. Moreover, you can get it a second time even after you've recovered. If it fails to kill you the first time, then it can try again. Moreover, if you get sick then there aren't enough beds. You may just die in the halls.

To be clear, SARS-CoV-2 is not the flu. It causes Covid 19, a disease with different symptoms, spreads and kills more readily, and belongs to a completely different family of viruses. For a virologist, a comparison between the two is like a comparison of apples and bananas. This family, the coronaviruses, includes just six other members that infect humans. Four of them have been gently annoying humans for more than a century, causing a third of the common colds. The other two—MERS and SARS both cause far more severe disease.

Contrary to the wisdom of Sci-Fi fans, mutations do not spell the end of life as we know it. Viruses are continually changing through mutation and recombination. There have been over 100 different mutations of the SARS-CoV-2 recorded. Those changes can be harmful, neutral, or favorable to humans. Mutations that interfere with essential virus functions do not survive. So to say the virus is mutated is a given because that's what viruses of this type do. Dealing with mutations of a virus in developing a vaccine is simple part of the process because nearly all RNA viruses mutate.

It's unclear whether people who recovery from COVID-19 will be immune to reinfection. There is some anecdotal evidence that you can be reinfected but also there are clinical tests with monkeys that says you can't. There is simple not enough research to reach a conclusion. After infection, antibodies are produced but then the levels slowly decline and people become susceptible again. The question is what is that rate? Is it weeks, months, years, or a lifetime?

Stating that you can become reinfected after recovering from the virus falls under the category of fear mongering rather than facts.

Are you a medical doctor? From what I hear, SARS-CoV-2 is what causes COVID-19. You can say it's not technically the flu, but I compared it with the swine flu and 1918 flu. The info I got is that COVID-19 attacks the lungs. That is where it can thrive the best. It starts with putting a sticky substance on the infected person's lungs that is hard to expectorate, cough, or blow out since it's not like regular mucous. A buildup of that would cause anyone to have difficulty breathing. The danger comes in with the "respiratory virus" and it may cause pneumonia and ARDS complications. Are you happy with that, doctor? Call it whatever you want. COVID-19 makes it difficult to put breathing tubes inside the lungs. Apparently, it has different ways of spreading in the lungs, so that's not the only problem it can cause for the doctors trying to keep you alive. I'm not a doctor, but am going by the sticky residue on the lungs. If it takes time to get rid of, then you have an underlying condition. That's what I believe. COVID-19 virus has mutated into a killer virus.

Trump to the rescue?

“He Can’t Make Any Big Decisions”: As the Crisis Escalates, Trump Experiments With a Pivot

"So far, Trump has refrained from publicly lashing out at Fauci and New York governor Andrew Cuomo, whose lucid and empathetic press conferences are in contrast to Trump’s shambolic media theater.

"But late Sunday night, as Dallas became the latest city to compel its citizens to stay home, Trump tweeted: 'WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!'"

Mar232020
ChiComs Are Culpable; Media/Democrats Side With Them
Chinese wet markets, where exotic animals are butchered and sold under unhygienic conditions, caused SARS and now the Wuhan virus. The government is totalitarian, yet has permitted these breeding grounds for viruses, even while cracking down on trivial thought crimes. The communist rulers helped the virus spread by suppressing information, lying that it could not be transmitted between humans, and destroying samples and research that confirmed the seriousness of the disease. Those who tried to raise the alarm in the early stages were silenced by the police state. This cost the rest of the world 2 months, which could have been used to avert the massive crisis that is currently unfolding.

Frontpage Magazine has more on the ChiComs’ culpability, as does Ben Shapiro:
[youtube]

Rather than take responsibility for potentially collapsing the global economy, the ChiComs have produced a defensive smokescreen by pushing the notion that criticizing them or even associating them with the virus they inflicted on the rest of the world is “racist.” Disgustingly and characteristically, American liberals side with these scoundrels against their own country.

Tinseltown is populated mainly by shallow, vain idiots, yet these idiots are influential due to their high profile. Actress Alyssa Milano weighs in on the crisis by declaring that our president is a “racist piece of sh**” for saying the words “Chinese virus.”

Just as 9/11 popularized Islam among progressives, the Wuhan virus is turning them into Sinophiles. In New Jersey, they have made it punishable by law to say “Chinese virus” like the president does:

New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal issued a “guidance” on Thursday telling employers that they may be guilty of illegal discrimination if they allow workers to call the COVID-19 coronavirus “the Chinese virus.” …

Grewal claims that noting the virus originated from China is a violation of the New Jersey’s Law Against Discrimination (LAD). During a time in which resources are being stretched in an unprecedented crisis, this is what Grewal is concerned about.

A virologist in Italy, the country hit hardest in terms of mortality, confirms that political correctness applied to the Wuhan virus has had devastating effect:

Professor of Virology and Microbiology at the University of Padova Dr. Giorgio Palù told CNN that measures imposing travel restrictions and border controls were taken too late due to fears over political correctness.

“There was a proposal to isolate people coming from the epicenter, coming from China,” Palù told CNN. “Then it became seen as racist…”

The Mayor of Florence actually launched a national campaign encouraging Italians to hug Chinese strangers so as to “stem the hatred,” resulting in nauseating displays of moonbattery like this. Chinese workers are believed to have brought the virus to Italy.

The Chinese government, through its state-controlled media, has praised Democrats for their despicable propaganda support. This…

China Xinhua News

@XHNews
Racism is not the right tool to cover your own incompetence

View image on Twitter
11:19 PM - Mar 16, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
12.6K people are talking about this

…was followed by

ETiZrxmU4AAlUGo.png

Justice always speak loudly,” says the Chinese ambassador to South Africa of Shrillary’s pernicious ankle-biting.

The Wuhan virus will change many things, but nothing will change the liberal instinct to side with our adversaries against us.

On tips from KirklesWorth, ABC of the ANC, Stormfax, Blackjack, Mr. Freemarket, and Ellen O.

Forum List

Back