Outrage Grows After Undocumented Father Arrested in Front of Daughter Near School

Romulo Avelica-Gonzalez was dropping off his daughters at school in Los Angeles on Tuesday when he was arrested by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. His 13-year-old daughter, Fatima, sobbed as she recorded her father being handcuffed in front of her and her mother.

Avelica-Gonzalez, 48, who has been living in the United States for over 20 years, had just finished dropping off his 12-year-old daughter in the Highland Park neighborhood when he was detained. His 19-year-old daughter, Jocelyn, who was at work during the incident, told the LAist that a car had been following her father since the moment he left the house.

“My dad dropped off my first sister and then when he turned around, they turned on their light,” Jocelyn said. “My dad was really scared. He didn’t want to pull over, but he did. As soon as he did, one car went in front of his truck and one in back of his truck. They took him out and they arrested him.”

In the video, Fatima can be heard loudly weeping as her father is detained by men wearing jackets and vests marked “POLICE.” (Los Angeles officials have asked ICE agents to stop identifying themselves as such.) Her mother asks one of the officers in Spanish how to proceed before turning to her daughter and telling her: “Don’t cry, honey. Don’t cry. We have to be strong.”

Avelica-Gonzalez, the father of four U.S. citizens, was detained over a DUI conviction nearly 10 years ago and a two decade-old incident involving an incorrect registration sticker, according to a local ABC affiliate.

Harrowing Video Captures Teen Sobbing As ICE Arrests Her Dad On The Way To School | The Huffington Post
-------------

Welcome to Trump's America, ripping families apart to create fear.

father should have known better don't you think? he always knew the consequences right?

Romulo Avelica-Gonzalez was dropping off his daughters at school in Los Angeles on Tuesday when he was arrested by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. His 13-year-old daughter, Fatima, sobbed as she recorded her father being handcuffed in front of her and her mother.

Avelica-Gonzalez, 48, who has been living in the United States for over 20 years, had just finished dropping off his 12-year-old daughter in the Highland Park neighborhood when he was detained. His 19-year-old daughter, Jocelyn, who was at work during the incident, told the LAist that a car had been following her father since the moment he left the house.

“My dad dropped off my first sister and then when he turned around, they turned on their light,” Jocelyn said. “My dad was really scared. He didn’t want to pull over, but he did. As soon as he did, one car went in front of his truck and one in back of his truck. They took him out and they arrested him.”

In the video, Fatima can be heard loudly weeping as her father is detained by men wearing jackets and vests marked “POLICE.” (Los Angeles officials have asked ICE agents to stop identifying themselves as such.) Her mother asks one of the officers in Spanish how to proceed before turning to her daughter and telling her: “Don’t cry, honey. Don’t cry. We have to be strong.”

Avelica-Gonzalez, the father of four U.S. citizens, was detained over a DUI conviction nearly 10 years ago and a two decade-old incident involving an incorrect registration sticker, according to a local ABC affiliate.

Harrowing Video Captures Teen Sobbing As ICE Arrests Her Dad On The Way To School | The Huffington Post
-------------

I can relate to both sides to this.
I once was given the orders to go fire a teacher who had stolen confidential information / property to use
to take clients from a school for a competing tutoring business.
Clearly this was a violation of school property and grounds for dismissal.

but the way I went about it, I confronted and removed the teacher
in front of very upset students. The parents and students and teacher
were crying to each other over the phone afterwards, because no advance
warning was given and it was very traumatizing. We could have called in the parents with the
teacher and let them know what was happening right after telling
the teacher in private, and reduce the shock and upset.

So there are ways to take action civilly and orderly
where it doesn't have to traumatize the children affected.

Police coming to get parents who have violated parole
or probation often run into these confrontations that
make the kids "hate the police," so it causes severe damage
unless people plan ahead and set up better procedures.

The added benefitsd: by setting up agreed processes to begin with
not only are the community members made knowledgeable of laws and policing,
but the real problem people will get screened out if they have no
intention of complying ad cooperating with authorities. So the police
will already know which people are able to be law abiding
and which ones are truly criminally abusive, so they don't confuse the two.

Last edited:
And?? He chose to break another nation's laws. Is he really surprised that nation is enforcing those laws? If so, he shouldn't be. He should have expected it. That's if we are a still a nation of laws anyway.

It's about time!

I would have cheered had I been there

Sociopaths generally cheer over families being torn apart, indeed.
He's a criminal. If he didn't wantbthis to happen he would have not been a criminal.

Incorrect registration sticker means stolen sticker.

Since he was summarily deported, he must have had an existing deportation order and evaded it all these years.

-------------

I guess the deportation orders issued in 2006 and again in 2011, which he ignored, had nothing to do with it. The SOB knew he was under deportation orders and had a family anyway, he put his family in this position. There are about 95,000 valid deportation orders outstanding, they will be gone when they are found, and it's no ones fault but theirs.

-------------

That's awsome!!! Thanks for the positive, feel good story for a change!!!

-------------

Illegal is illegal... karma is a bitch

So we are supposed to ignore his own choices that lead to him being arrested?

Sucks the children had to witness it, but it was his own irresponsible doings.

Events like this are designed to create fear. The fact that it was done in front of a school makes it pretty obvious. These clowns were even wearing "Police" shirts and they're not supposed to do that -- and have been told to not continue wearing those shirts.
Link?

Sucks the children had to witness it, but it was his own irresponsible doings.

Events like this are designed to create fear. The fact that it was done in front of a school makes it pretty obvious. These clowns were even wearing "Police" shirts and they're not supposed to do that -- and have been told to not continue wearing those shirts.

Authorities try to make arrests in a situation where the suspect is less likely to get violent.

No..... this event was not designed to create fear, it was designed to enforce OUR laws.

Don't stop there, ICE, get the rest of the no good criminals out of here!

-------------

whats-your-point_zpsxbxlkku2.jpg

If he was a legal citizen and was wanted for a crime and he was found. How would the outcome have been different? He'd have still been arrested in front of his kids, wife or whatever. Illegal aliens who have committed additional crimes SHOULD live in fear. Why not?

-------------

Oh, well that does it! A little girl crying? That's enough for me to support open borders so anybody can come here (including terrorists) and break our laws.

No tears nor fucks were given on that day. The father put his child into this situation. He has no one to blame but himself.

Bullshit.
I speak from experience. I have been arrested in front of my children before. It was 100% my own fault. Not the government's, not the cops, not the left, not the right....MINE & mine alone, because of MY CHOICES

Well, to be fair, picking up prostitutes is something you should do in private.

the-more-you-know-o.gif

I'm sure we can all agree to rely on your vast experience for this one

Forum List

Back