Outrage Grows After Undocumented Father Arrested in Front of Daughter Near School

Romulo Avelica-Gonzalez was dropping off his daughters at school in Los Angeles on Tuesday when he was arrested by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. His 13-year-old daughter, Fatima, sobbed as she recorded her father being handcuffed in front of her and her mother.

Avelica-Gonzalez, 48, who has been living in the United States for over 20 years, had just finished dropping off his 12-year-old daughter in the Highland Park neighborhood when he was detained. His 19-year-old daughter, Jocelyn, who was at work during the incident, told the LAist that a car had been following her father since the moment he left the house.

“My dad dropped off my first sister and then when he turned around, they turned on their light,” Jocelyn said. “My dad was really scared. He didn’t want to pull over, but he did. As soon as he did, one car went in front of his truck and one in back of his truck. They took him out and they arrested him.”

In the video, Fatima can be heard loudly weeping as her father is detained by men wearing jackets and vests marked “POLICE.” (Los Angeles officials have asked ICE agents to stop identifying themselves as such.) Her mother asks one of the officers in Spanish how to proceed before turning to her daughter and telling her: “Don’t cry, honey. Don’t cry. We have to be strong.”

Avelica-Gonzalez, the father of four U.S. citizens, was detained over a DUI conviction nearly 10 years ago and a two decade-old incident involving an incorrect registration sticker, according to a local ABC affiliate.

Harrowing Video Captures Teen Sobbing As ICE Arrests Her Dad On The Way To School | The Huffington Post
-------------

Welcome to Trump's America, ripping families apart to create fear.

/---- Obey the laws and you won't be arrested. Simple enough you stooge?

Romulo Avelica-Gonzalez was dropping off his daughters at school in Los Angeles on Tuesday when he was arrested by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. His 13-year-old daughter, Fatima, sobbed as she recorded her father being handcuffed in front of her and her mother.

Avelica-Gonzalez, 48, who has been living in the United States for over 20 years, had just finished dropping off his 12-year-old daughter in the Highland Park neighborhood when he was detained. His 19-year-old daughter, Jocelyn, who was at work during the incident, told the LAist that a car had been following her father since the moment he left the house.

“My dad dropped off my first sister and then when he turned around, they turned on their light,” Jocelyn said. “My dad was really scared. He didn’t want to pull over, but he did. As soon as he did, one car went in front of his truck and one in back of his truck. They took him out and they arrested him.”

In the video, Fatima can be heard loudly weeping as her father is detained by men wearing jackets and vests marked “POLICE.” (Los Angeles officials have asked ICE agents to stop identifying themselves as such.) Her mother asks one of the officers in Spanish how to proceed before turning to her daughter and telling her: “Don’t cry, honey. Don’t cry. We have to be strong.”

Avelica-Gonzalez, the father of four U.S. citizens, was detained over a DUI conviction nearly 10 years ago and a two decade-old incident involving an incorrect registration sticker, according to a local ABC affiliate.

Harrowing Video Captures Teen Sobbing As ICE Arrests Her Dad On The Way To School | The Huffington Post
-------------

So he has a conviction for DUI and other stuff, and you believe he should be allow to stay!?!

1. He either illegally enter this country or overstay his visa which put him out of status which made him subject for deportation.

2. He had broken the law a few times before and no matter how you spin it the reality is he did not belong here.

-----

In the end the Progressive Liberals need to realize there are laws and even though you disagree with them the reality is Trump and the U.S. Government are now enforcing them.

In 2018 those like you need to get your candidate elected to the Senate and House so your political party can change the laws or hand Trump some form of Immigration Reform because if not, well enjoy reality and it sucks but the law is the damn law!

Well, he is allowed to stay. Temporarily. From the article:

Emi MacLean, staff attorney for the National Day Laborer Organizing Network, told the New York Daily News the family had a “small victory” when Avelica-Gonzalez was granted a temporary stay, which means he would not be immediately deported.

Fine, and let the courts deal with it but it still does not change the fact he is here illegally.

Also if his wife is a U.S. citizen or resident it then bring up the question why she has yet to petition her husband for a change of status?

I for one have been involved in cases like this and had to write letter on the behalf of the spouse that were petitioning, so is the wife also out of status and if not then she is also to blame for not working to help her husband gain legal status here in America!?!

This illegal broke additional laws, DUI putting American citizens at risk of death by illegal and it sounds like he lied on his registration. He's a law breaker, a willful law breaker. There's 1,000 quality immigrants we should allow to move here before we let this loser stay.

-------------

So he has a conviction for DUI and other stuff, and you believe he should be allow to stay!?!

1. He either illegally enter this country or overstay his visa which put him out of status which made him subject for deportation.

2. He had broken the law a few times before and no matter how you spin it the reality is he did not belong here.

-----

In the end the Progressive Liberals need to realize there are laws and even though you disagree with them the reality is Trump and the U.S. Government are now enforcing them.

In 2018 those like you need to get your candidate elected to the Senate and House so your political party can change the laws or hand Trump some form of Immigration Reform because if not, well enjoy reality and it sucks but the law is the damn law!

Emi MacLean, staff attorney for the National Day Laborer Organizing Network, told the New York Daily News the family had a “small victory” when Avelica-Gonzalez was granted a temporary stay, which means he would not be immediately deported.

Fine, and let the courts deal with it but it still does not change the fact he is here illegally.

Also if his wife is a U.S. citizen or resident it then bring up the question why she has yet to petition her husband for a change of status.

I for one have been involved in cases like this and had to write letter on the behalf of the spouse that were petitioning, so is the wife also out of status and if not then she is also to blame for not working to help her husband gain legal status here in America.

You can't petition for an adjustment of status with an existing deportation order

-------------

-----

Also if his wife is a U.S. citizen or resident it then bring up the question why she has yet to petition her husband for a change of status.

I for one have been involved in cases like this and had to write letter on the behalf of the spouse that were petitioning, so is the wife also out of status and if not then she is also to blame for not working to help her husband gain legal status here in America.

You can't petition for an adjustment of status with an existing deportation order

True, but they can petition for him to be let back into the country after a certain period of time.

It was done for one of our nurses after her husband was deported back to Columbia.

She got it changed based on hardship, and after a certain period of time the husband was allow back in and status was changed.

-------------

I can relate to both sides to this.
I once was given the orders to go fire a teacher who had stolen confidential information / property to use
to take clients from a school for a competing tutoring business.
Clearly this was a violation of school property and grounds for dismissal.

but the way I went about it, I confronted and removed the teacher
in front of very upset students. The parents and students and teacher
were crying to each other over the phone afterwards, because no advance
warning was given and it was very traumatizing. We could have called in the parents with the
teacher and let them know what was happening right after telling
the teacher in private, and reduce the shock and upset.

So there are ways to take action civilly and orderly
where it doesn't have to traumatize the children affected.

Police coming to get parents who have violated parole
or probation often run into these confrontations that
make the kids "hate the police," so it causes severe damage
unless people plan ahead and set up better procedures.

The added benefitsd: by setting up agreed processes to begin with
not only are the community members made knowledgeable of laws and policing,
but the real problem people will get screened out if they have no
intention of complying ad cooperating with authorities. So the police
will already know which people are able to be law abiding
and which ones are truly criminally abusive, so they don't confuse the two.

totally different analogy. Apples and oranges.

You feign outrage very well. Where is your outrage for the victims of DUI Drivers who happen to be illegal aliens driving on our highways drunk and cannot even read English? Got any of that?

You do strawmen very well. Your stupid comment has JACK SQUAT to do with the thread. I suggest you pray to Jebus for forgiveness of your sin.
Strawmen? Think again. Your poor victim has a DUI on his record. Are you telling me you have never heard of an illegal alien killing someone while driving drunk?

Speaking of which, are you alright? Jesus is spelled JESUS. Not Jebus.

-------------

-----

True, but they can petition for him to be let back into the country after a certain period of time.

It was done for one of our nurses after her husband was deported back to Columbia.

She got it changed based on hardship, and after a certain period of time the husband was allow back in and status was changed.

With an underlying crime? I don't think so. Without a crime, possibly.

The crime would have to be dealt with first. Either by withdrawing a plea or a new trial. Or, even expungement or pardon. Then there would be a petition to vacate the deportation order and reconsideration based on hardship.

do cops do it differently when they are working from a warrant looking for a citizen criminal? Is there really a difference?

You feign outrage very well. Where is your outrage for the victims of DUI Drivers who happen to be illegal aliens driving on our highways drunk and cannot even read English? Got any of that?

You do strawmen very well. Your stupid comment has JACK SQUAT to do with the thread. I suggest you pray to Jebus for forgiveness of your sin.
Strawmen? Think again. Your poor victim has a DUI on his record. Are you telling me you have never heard of an illegal alien killing someone while driving drunk?

Speaking of which, are you alright? Jesus is spelled JESUS. Not Jebus.
they don't care, the probable victim will be a US citizen. Dems don't care about americans at all.

Sucks the children had to witness it, but it was his own irresponsible doings.

Events like this are designed to create fear. The fact that it was done in front of a school makes it pretty obvious. These clowns were even wearing "Police" shirts and they're not supposed to do that -- and have been told to not continue wearing those shirts.
It's called enforcing the law. Sociopaths call it being victimized for no good reason.

It's not God's law, is it?
Immigration laws are not statutory laws, and there is a lot of confusion on this. I don't understand any of this stuff, I am told that its a federal issue, and at other times it's a civil law...I don't care any more. A lot of us have had to deal with this issue for far too long and we don't care how many hairs are split. The penalty for illegal immigration is deportment, and that is the be all and end all here. End of story.

BUT BUT!!! liberals like all criminals , RAPIST like bullyboy, treasonist like oshitass, child rapist like weeenieee and WHOMA? Murderers like all of those at planned parenthood, Thugs like mike brown, AND any extortionist they can find to assault decent people and keep them from exercising their constitutional rights. Why wouldn't they like a person who has stolen from our citizens and deprived some of them of their rightful amount of this country's assets. Given a chance I will exterminate any liberal that even looks like he wants to confront me, crush their heads set them on fire and laugh at their dead body. If I have marshmallows I will toast some. Better still use any money they have to buy something to kill some more. HAHAHAHAHAHA

-------------

So the police aren't allowed to arrest someone if their kids are around? What kind of policy is that?

-------------

So the police aren't allowed to arrest someone if their kids are around? What kind of policy is that?

Only if you are an American citizen (2nd class), Mike. Then they can arrest you in front of your children. But if you are illegally living in the USA you're afforded VIP treatment. In America the illegals appear to have more rights than the citizens do.

-----

With an underlying crime? I don't think so. Without a crime, possibly.

The crime would have to be dealt with first. Either by withdrawing a plea or a new trial. Or, even expungement or pardon. Then there would be a petition to vacate the deportation order and reconsideration based on hardship.

1. If deported the spouse if a citizen or legal resident can petition for the spouse to have a change of status based on hardship.

I have seen it and was part of the process.

2. Depending on the nature of the crime ( DUI and something about sticker problem according to the article ) the government can reject the petition to allow the spouse back in.

I believe he will be allow back in after a period of time and his wife paying the government if he does not jump the border.

3. You do realize many illegals and out of status visa holders marry someone to help change their status and use the marriage loophole to get around being deported or being allow back in, right!?!

Shit I am offer at least twice a year to do this illegal act ( refusing every time ) so I damn well know how most of this works and it is part of the damn system that should be look at but is usually ignored...

-------------

Only if you are an American citizen (2nd class), Mike. Then they can arrest you in front of your children. But if you are illegally living in the USA you're afforded VIP treatment. In America the illegals appear to have more rights than the citizens do.
I was juror in assault case (both plaintiff and defendant were Illegal aliens), the defendant was found guilty and given a year in jail and will be deported immediately after his release from prison. He was married and had numerous children. None of that slow motion train wreck soap opera bullshit was caught on camera and made some tragedy, like the one the OP posted here, undocumented father deported...So? It happens all the time, amigos.

It seems the quality of mercy CAN be strained, after all. Or, illegals think it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. Well, NOBODY is above the law, EITHER.

Mercy cannot rob justice. If she could, we wouldn't need the atonement

-------------

Apparently they can go right to your house and get you unless you're an illegal.

Forum List

Back