Outrage Grows After Undocumented Father Arrested in Front of Daughter Near School

I'm sorry to hear of your cousin's loss.
I do believe too many people are imprisoned for possessing marijuana. It should be decriminalized as in some other countries with no problems.

You are lying. Unless someone has a vast amount of marijuana in their possession, people do not serve prison time for simple possession. They are sent to drug court which originated in Miami Florida and now is active in all 50 states.

Drug Courts | National Institute of Justice

Hopefully, this outrage results in more illegal immigrants protesting, so the government can detain them easier.
Most Americans must be saddened by what is happening at the instigation of a loco president.
I'm cheering. Every last one of them should go back.

Picking one illegal at a time, then release some of them because they obtained a lawyer. Very impressive.

You need to do a better job than that just to make a dent.
Then you will attack Trump for "mass deportations." No matter what he does, you scumbags will attack him.

Who do you think you're fooling?

By all accounts, the father was an ordinary law-abiding person

Except the DUI... And the stolen car... And coming here illegally ( and probably using a stolen ID and SS number)...And ignoring his initial deportation order.
I'll miss him when he goes back to Mexico. He sounded like a swell guy.
The DUI and a car not properly registered two decades before is far from murder, armed robbery or rape.
You forgot to mention being here illegally.
I addressed the fact that he is undocumented but he did not hurt anyone. No harm was done. I have also mentioned a few times in this thread that he was brought before a judge for a DUI twenty years ago. Why was he not deported then? He was allowed to stay and in the meantime he has been rearing four children, two now grown.
Also; are you suggesting we wait until he kills someone while driving drunk before we deport him?
Should people caught speeding be given a life sentence for the people they might kill in the future? Hardly.

Who's getting a life sentence?

Romulo Avelica-Gonzalez was dropping off his daughters at school in Los Angeles on Tuesday when he was arrested by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. His 13-year-old daughter, Fatima, sobbed as she recorded her father being handcuffed in front of her and her mother.

Avelica-Gonzalez, 48, who has been living in the United States for over 20 years, had just finished dropping off his 12-year-old daughter in the Highland Park neighborhood when he was detained. His 19-year-old daughter, Jocelyn, who was at work during the incident, told the LAist that a car had been following her father since the moment he left the house.

“My dad dropped off my first sister and then when he turned around, they turned on their light,” Jocelyn said. “My dad was really scared. He didn’t want to pull over, but he did. As soon as he did, one car went in front of his truck and one in back of his truck. They took him out and they arrested him.”

In the video, Fatima can be heard loudly weeping as her father is detained by men wearing jackets and vests marked “POLICE.” (Los Angeles officials have asked ICE agents to stop identifying themselves as such.) Her mother asks one of the officers in Spanish how to proceed before turning to her daughter and telling her: “Don’t cry, honey. Don’t cry. We have to be strong.”

Avelica-Gonzalez, the father of four U.S. citizens, was detained over a DUI conviction nearly 10 years ago and a two decade-old incident involving an incorrect registration sticker, according to a local ABC affiliate.

Harrowing Video Captures Teen Sobbing As ICE Arrests Her Dad On The Way To School | The Huffington Post
-------------

Welcome to Trump's America, ripping families apart to create fear.

Those are right wing brownshirts doing what they do.

The ICE website is not law. There is no U.S. law that refers to an illegal alien.
You called me a liar.

It is an accurate description of the person so they are not confused with an American citizen. Just as far left Progressive is an accurate description of you. What is the problem?
People who want this family torn apart like to portray themselves as caring about the law. They even use the term "illegal" alien. In American immigration law, however, there is no mention of illegal aliens. The term is inaccurate.

Romulo Avelica-Gonzalez was dropping off his daughters at school in Los Angeles on Tuesday when he was arrested by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. His 13-year-old daughter, Fatima, sobbed as she recorded her father being handcuffed in front of her and her mother.

Avelica-Gonzalez, 48, who has been living in the United States for over 20 years, had just finished dropping off his 12-year-old daughter in the Highland Park neighborhood when he was detained. His 19-year-old daughter, Jocelyn, who was at work during the incident, told the LAist that a car had been following her father since the moment he left the house.

“My dad dropped off my first sister and then when he turned around, they turned on their light,” Jocelyn said. “My dad was really scared. He didn’t want to pull over, but he did. As soon as he did, one car went in front of his truck and one in back of his truck. They took him out and they arrested him.”

In the video, Fatima can be heard loudly weeping as her father is detained by men wearing jackets and vests marked “POLICE.” (Los Angeles officials have asked ICE agents to stop identifying themselves as such.) Her mother asks one of the officers in Spanish how to proceed before turning to her daughter and telling her: “Don’t cry, honey. Don’t cry. We have to be strong.”

Avelica-Gonzalez, the father of four U.S. citizens, was detained over a DUI conviction nearly 10 years ago and a two decade-old incident involving an incorrect registration sticker, according to a local ABC affiliate.

Harrowing Video Captures Teen Sobbing As ICE Arrests Her Dad On The Way To School | The Huffington Post
-------------

You are correct; the arrest has the hallmark of a police state.

Hopefully, this outrage results in more illegal immigrants protesting, so the government can detain them easier.
Most Americans must be saddened by what is happening at the instigation of a loco president.

Picking one illegal at a time, then release some of them because they obtained a lawyer. Very impressive.

True, but Trump hasn't been in office for even 2 months yet, and he's already got illegal immigrants spooked. In Trump We Trust.
You do realize that you have replaced God with Trump.

I do believe too many people are imprisoned for possessing marijuana. It should be decriminalized as in some other countries with no problems.

You are lying. Unless someone has a vast amount of marijuana in their possession, people do not serve prison time for simple possession. They are sent to drug court which originated in Miami Florida and now is active in all 50 states.

Generally, when someone calls me a liar I place them on my 'ignore' list but this one time I will give you a response.
You cited a document about Drug Courts as if they are a norm in all 50 states and that anyone who has a small amount of marijuana will go before a judge in such a court and will not be given a custodial sentence. You are not a liar, just mistaken.
Nothing in your citation suggests that anyone who is caught in possession of a small amount of marijuana will not serve prison time.

"According to the ACLU’s original analysis, marijuana arrests now account for over half of all drug arrests in the United States. Of the 8.2 million marijuana arrests between 2001 and 2010, 88% were for simply having marijuana. Nationwide, the arrest data revealed one consistent trend: significant racial bias. Despite roughly equal usage rates, Blacks are 3.73 times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana."
Marijuana Arrests by the Numbers

This is a total waste of police time and those arrested do not go before a drug court or any court sometimes for years waiting for their day in court in a local jail. "On any given day in the United States, at least 137,000 people sit behind bars on simple drug-possession charges, according to a report released Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union and Human Rights Watch.

"Nearly two-thirds of them are in local jails. The report says that most of these jailed inmates have not been convicted of any crime: They're sitting in a cell, awaiting a day in court, an appearance that may be months or even years off, because they can't afford to post bail." (emphasis mine)
Police arrest more people for marijuana use than for all violent crimes — combined
This article points-out that "police make more arrests for marijuana possession alone than for all violent crimes combined."

Generally, when someone calls me a liar I place them on my 'ignore' list but this one time I will give you a response.
You cited a document about Drug Courts as if they are a norm in all 50 states and that anyone who has a small amount of marijuana will go before a judge in such a court and will not be given a custodial sentence. You are not a liar, just mistaken.
Nothing in your citation suggests that anyone who is caught in possession of a small amount of marijuana will not serve prison time.

"According to the ACLU’s original analysis, marijuana arrests now account for over half of all drug arrests in the United States. Of the 8.2 million marijuana arrests between 2001 and 2010, 88% were for simply having marijuana. Nationwide, the arrest data revealed one consistent trend: significant racial bias. Despite roughly equal usage rates, Blacks are 3.73 times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana."

This is a total waste of police time and those arrested do not go before a drug court or any court sometimes for years waiting for their day in court in a local jail. "On any given day in the United States, at least 137,000 people sit behind bars on simple drug-possession charges, according to a report released Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union and Human Rights Watch.

"Nearly two-thirds of them are in local jails. The report says that most of these jailed inmates have not been convicted of any crime: They're sitting in a cell, awaiting a day in court, an appearance that may be months or even years off, because they can't afford to post bail." (emphasis mine)
Police arrest more people for marijuana use than for all violent crimes — combined
This article points-out that "police make more arrests for marijuana possession alone than for all violent crimes combined."

Your info is kind of old.
Even Houston has done away with charging people with small amounts of pot.
And when they say small thats up to four ounces.

Your info is kind of old.
Even Houston has done away with charging people with small amounts of pot.
And when they say small thats up to four ounces.
Houston?
You don't say!

-------------

You are correct; the arrest has the hallmark of a police state.

Fuck off, asshole.

True, but Trump hasn't been in office for even 2 months yet, and he's already got illegal immigrants spooked. In Trump We Trust.

Nah....... Illegals are always spooked and scared from deportation. Always. Trump is full of shit a pathological liar. That's true he hasn't been in the office for 2 months....... but look at the chaos and convulsions from self inflicted wounds.

U.S. deportations of immigrants reach record high in 2013

The nationwide immigration raids targeting Central American families, explained - Vox

Illegal Workers Swept From Jobs in ‘Silent Raids’

Illegal Workers Swept From Jobs in ‘Silent Raids’
Guest workers, like those above, have replaced more than 500 undocumented workers fired in December from Gebbers Farms in Brewster, Wash.
MATTHEW RYAN WILLIAMS FOR THE NEW YORK TIMES
By JULIA PRESTON
JULY 9, 2010
BREWSTER, Wash. — The Obama administration has replaced immigration raids at factories and farms with a quieter enforcement strategy: sending federal agents to scour companies’ records for illegal immigrant workers.

While the sweeps of the past commonly led to the deportation of such workers, the “silent raids,” as employers call the audits, usually result in the workers being fired, but in many cases they are not deported.
Over the past year, Immigration and Customs Enforcement has conducted audits of employee files at more than 2,900 companies. The agency has levied a record $3 million in civil fines so far this year on businesses that hired unauthorized immigrants, according to official figures. Thousands of those workers have been fired, immigrant groups estimate.

Employers say the audits reach more companies than the work-site roundups of the administration of President George W. Bush. The audits force businesses to fire every suspected illegal immigrant on the payroll— not just those who happened to be on duty at the time of a raid — and make it much harder to hire other unauthorized workers as replacements. Auditing is “a far more effective enforcement tool,” said Mike Gempler, executive director of the Washington Growers League, which includes many worried fruit growers.

Immigration inspectors who pored over the records of one of those growers, Gebbers Farms, found evidence that more than 500 of its workers, mostly immigrants from Mexico, were in the country illegally. In December, Gebbers Farms, based in this Washington orchard town, fired the workers.
“Instead of hundreds of agents going after one company, now one agent can go after hundreds of companies,” said Mark K. Reed, president of Border Management Strategies, a consulting firm in Tucson that advises companies across the country on immigration law. “And there is no drama, no trauma, no families being torn apart, no handcuffs.”

-------------

What, their jobs? Oh my, the horror!!

-------------

You'll be next.

Only they will deport your fanny to Antarctica.

Your source is FOS. Jail is not prison. Any person that's arrested for pot will be out the next day by posting a bond.

Here is a realistic report from left-wing Pollifact:

Prisoner data

What the figures show is that possession itself isn’t usually enough to land someone in jail. Rather, those sentenced to prison for marijuana offenses were typically found to be committing crimes more serious than just possessing marijuana (or "smoking" it, as Sanders put it). Often, this means selling it or trafficking it.

The Justice Department estimated that 3.6 percent of state inmates in 2013 had drug possession as their most serious offense. That includes possession charges for all drugs, not just marijuana. To gauge the marijuana-only percentage, we have to go back to data that’s about a decade old.

The Justice Department periodically carries out surveys of inmates in state and federal correctional facilities, the last of which was from 2004. According to this study, only about three-tenths of 1 percent of state prison inmates were there because of marijuana possession alone, without a more serious charge.

Meanwhile, the statistics for federal inmates paint a similar picture.

The data shows that among the roughly 67,600 offenders sentenced to prison in federal criminal cases between Oct. 1, 2011 and Sept. 30, 2012, only 28 of them were incarcerated on drug-possession charges alone -- roughly four one-hundredths of 1 percent of all incarcerations. And that includes all drugs, not just marijuana.

Bernie Sanders says people are getting prison sentences for smoking marijuana

The ICE website is not law. There is no U.S. law that refers to an illegal alien.
You called me a liar.

It is an accurate description of the person so they are not confused with an American citizen. Just as far left Progressive is an accurate description of you. What is the problem?
People who want this family torn apart like to portray themselves as caring about the law. They even use the term "illegal" alien. In American immigration law, however, there is no mention of illegal aliens. The term is inaccurate.

An undocumented or "illegal alien" is an alien who entered the United States illegally without the proper authorization and documents, or is an alien who once entered the United States legally and has since violated the terms of the status in which he entered the United States or has overstayed the time limits of his ...Mar 3, 2016
Immigration Terms and Definitions Involving Aliens - IRS.gov
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/.../immigration-terms-and-definitions-involving-aliens

Correct. That's why he's being deported and not being sent to prison.
But President Trump assured the American people he want to go after only hardened criminals. He spoke of real bad hombres. I think the President might be a polyglot.
But President Trump assured the American people he want to go after only hardened criminals. He spoke of real bad hombres. I think the President might be a polyglot.
Well, in that case, if you're going to do for one, you do for all!

Prostitutes should be released
Shoplifters should be released
Drug dealers and addicts should be released
Rod Blagojevich shouldn't even be in jail

If prisoners had any sense, they would seek appeals
based on the fact that the U.S. allows the harboring of
illegal immigrants who are breaking the law being here illegally

The law is the law, if we are not going to enforce it for everyone,
then either, take it off the books or start letting prisoners free
There are certainly far too many people incarcerated in the USA.

This is true because we have a huge drug problem on our hands. Much of those drugs coming from the same place the illegals are.
There are no such things as illegals.

So you are saying that our national symbol never gets sick? :D

Well, in that case, if you're going to do for one, you do for all!

Prostitutes should be released
Shoplifters should be released
Drug dealers and addicts should be released
Rod Blagojevich shouldn't even be in jail

If prisoners had any sense, they would seek appeals
based on the fact that the U.S. allows the harboring of
illegal immigrants who are breaking the law being here illegally

The law is the law, if we are not going to enforce it for everyone,
then either, take it off the books or start letting prisoners free
There are certainly far too many people incarcerated in the USA.

This is true because we have a huge drug problem on our hands. Much of those drugs coming from the same place the illegals are.
There are no such things as illegals.

illegal |i(l)ˈlēgəl| adjective
contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law: illegal drugs.

noun derogatory, chiefly N. Amer. a person present in a country without official authorization.

Source: Macintosh Dictionary.
In your dictionary definition you could not find the word "illegals".
You will not find it in any U.S. immigration law.

It is already posted several times in this thread. Are you incapable of reading?

Forum List

Back