Palestine Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realized I forgot to add the link to the site so it is now added. It is very interesting. Here is how they describe what they are doing.

What is PiP?
WHAT IS PIP?
Political is Personal / Israel + Palestine is a project of interviews conducted with individual Palestinian and Israeli Jewish women conveying how the conflict has affected their lives. Their stories help to personalize one of the most seemingly intractable conflicts in the world.

HOW - ARE THE STORIES WRITTEN
  • All the stories feature Palestinian and Israeli Jewish women, who are 18 years old or above;
  • The interviews are conducted either face-to-face, via Skype, email, chat or phone depending on circumstances and on the wishes of the interviewees;
  • The first name of the interviewee is included in the title of her story or is completely anonymous - all depending on the wishes of the interviewee;
  • Interviews are free-flowing, allowing for the subject's safe, non-judgmental, open telling of her thoughts, experience and feelings.
  • Stories are edited only for clarity, flow and structure.
  • Tolerance, Respect and Sensitivity: Once the story of an interviewee is written, it is sent back to her for her approval or modifications. Because of the sensitivity of the political situation, and because the stories will be publicly available, no story is published without the full consent of the interviewee.

Which side initiated this?

What difference does it make? Why is it you are so utterly unwilling to credit Palestinians with anything good yet you rail on about the demonizing of Israel?

The Team

Wajiha Al Abyad, Gaza Coordinator & Writer

Jeje.jpg

Wajiha is a Palestinian woman who was born and still live in the Gaza Strip. She is descended from a refugee family in Jaffa. In 2015, she received her BA degree in English and French Literature which essentially paved the way for her writing career. Since then, she developed a profound passion in writing. She started off as a blogger for WeAreNotNumebrs, CivilArab, and currently works as a freelance writer publishing regularly on the Medium. Her background in working as a Project Coordinator within a local Non-Governmental Organization dedicated for advocating Women’s Rights has given her a broad base from which to approach gender issues in Gaza. Therefore, in her writings, she addresses women’s issues through featured stories. She especially enjoys reading about psychology and communicating with people from diverse cultures.

ASIL
Her Story #3 Asil

Always Just An Arab

During the “tzfirah” [siren] for Yom Hazikaron [Memorial Day] today, I saw a woman holding her daughter, who was scared. When the “tzfirah” stopped, I heard the mother explaining to the child, what it was about. She told her that it was to commemorate all the killings of Jews that have been carried out by Arabs, “the ones who seek to kill us,” in other words, “our enemy”.

I am 25 years old, and what I have learned up to now is that no matter what I do in this country I will always be the "Arab." If someone steals something, the finger will still be pointed at me, because I am the "Arab." I can go to the police, but it won't matter. It will always be my fault.

I am not seeking to be an Israeli. I am a Palestinian living in Israel. I just don’t want to be a second-class citizen. I want to be treated like the nice person that I am. I also have feelings.

MANAL
Her Story #12 Manal

Male Authority

I am a liberal woman, but I don’t even represent 2% of the women in Gaza. I think it’s a natural development after eight years of a blockade. It has resulted in a furthering of narrow-minded mentality here.

There is unemployment and poverty, and education cannot be financed. When men can’t find work, the oppression creates a vicious cycle, which makes the men dominate even more and mistreat their wives and daughters.

Additionally, women aren’t able to see the outside, and they become provincial in their thinking too. As daughters and sisters, women try to escape their brother’s and father’s authority by finding a husband, but the husband is no different than their father and brother.

My Jewish Friends

I have a lot of Jewish friends, and I like them for the human beings that they are. I try not to talk about politics with them, and instead I prefer to look at them from their human side. As long as there is respect.

I was born in 1969, and I used to go to Ashkelon with my mother to have coffee. I would go to Tel Aviv, where I bought everything that I needed for my wedding.

Today, because I have a permit, I always go to Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. I often take the train from Ashkelon to Tel Aviv. I like to talk to people there, and when they find out that I am from Gaza, they are amazed. That is how I know that we have a lot in common, and that is why I think that the leaders are our problem.

I believe that Israelis have the right to exist, and so do we. We need two states, and I know that even if I were to pray for Israel to vanish, it won’t happen, and we need to be on equal footing.

Healing

We need to get rid of the hatred. We’ve tried wars and many other methods. I’m doing my best because I’m the kind of person who believes that you can heal pain with love. It’s time to try different kinds of weapons, to convey peace and love. We need to express this to our leaders, and Israelis need to do the same to their leaders.

I always believe in better times. I’m very optimistic. Sometimes things go up, sometimes they go down. We must see the end of the tunnel. I think it’s about time to heal people from the inside

That is confusing here in the US. Our "country" is made up of 50 "states."

This is why Israel is a unique case, because unlike in the US and the rest of the middle east, the indigenous nation actually became independent - a thing that Arabs still whine about, and the US will probably never allow.

Why don't You give 1 state to the Indians?
The American Indians received US citizenship (I don't know. About a hundred years ago or so.) One is now running for congress. One was the vice presidential candidate in a presidential election.

Winona LaDuke - Wikipedia
Winona_duke_dream_reborn.png

Many do not live on the Rez and just live out like everyone else. One friend of mine owned a shrimp boat.
Indigenous saving our food.

TedxTC Seeds of our Ancestors, Seeds of Life

A seed library to save Palestinian agricultural heritage

There are seeds unique to the geographic area of Palestine?

Indigenous palestinian seeds?

Link?

You don't know jack about agriculture.

"You don't know jack about agriculture.."

palestinian terrorists........... at least people are up-to-date about them......

I'm not making fun of them. All terrorists and terrorists that recruit kids.....there IS something wrong with them....
[there's a ....void, somethings missing]

Kind of interesting...and surprising. Not what I would have expected.

Photo essay spotlights Palestinian women in physics

In November, a photographer and I set out to capture the lives of seven women studying and working in physics in Palestine.

The interest arose from my work over the last few years in Palestine and elsewhere in the Arab world, where I have organized particle physics workshops and seminars. Each time, I was joyfully surprised to be standing in front of an audience full of women.

It is a known phenomenon in the Arab world that the number of women studying physics surpasses that of men, and in Palestine, I saw this most pronounced. However, the number dramatically drops at the faculty level. I wanted to know why there was this reverse gender gap for students, what issues affected women wanting to pursue a career in physics, and how these compared to the issues in the West.

Doa-Hawamdeh.jpg

We traveled a lot during the project, to places such as Hebron, Nablus, Bethlehem, and Ramallah, and even into Jordan. Often, we were warmly invited into the homes of the women. We met their families and discussed the various issues in their lives and the role of women, over deliciously cooked Palestinian cuisine, all the time learning new words and phrases in Arabic. There was always a lot of love and support from their families when discussing their career aspirations. Some of the challenges the women face were not easy, both societal and political, but the women's strength and hopes for the future are inspirational, lending to an increasing number of women embarking on careers in physics.

One of the key facts I learned as to why many women study physics in Palestine is there is not the stigma that physics is seen as being a masculine subject, which is prevalent in the west.A student named Suhad talked about this issue with us over coffee one morning in the department:

I don't know why you say physics is only for men, because here in our university in the science as a whole, many students are women, not men. For example in undergraduate we were 18 girls and only three boys. So with respect to me, it is not strange to be a female scientist.

Commentary: Abbas misses a chance to help Palestinians

On September 27, Palestinian Authority President and Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) Chairman Mahmoud Abbas addressed the U.N. General Assembly for the 14th time. Among Palestinians, expectations had been high that Abbas’ speech at the United Nations would be “historic,” and that he would articulate a new strategic path forward for Palestinians in the wake of the Trump administration’s near total adoption of Israel’s positions, namely moving the U.S. embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, cutting all funding to UNRWA, the U.N. agency responsible for the well-being of Palestinian refugees, and closing the PLO diplomatic mission in the United States.

Yet, once again, Abbas failed to deliver. His “historic” speech turned out to be more of the same: a call for the world to salvage a two-state solution that died years ago, systematically destroyed by Israel as a result of its relentless construction on Palestinian land of settlements deemed illegal by the United Nations.

Commentary: Abbas misses a chance to help Palestinians | Reuters

On September 27, Palestinian Authority President and Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) Chairman Mahmoud Abbas addressed the U.N. General Assembly for the 14th time. Among Palestinians, expectations had been high that Abbas’ speech at the United Nations would be “historic,” and that he would articulate a new strategic path forward for Palestinians in the wake of the Trump administration’s near total adoption of Israel’s positions, namely moving the U.S. embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, cutting all funding to UNRWA, the U.N. agency responsible for the well-being of Palestinian refugees, and closing the PLO diplomatic mission in the United States.

Yet, once again, Abbas failed to deliver. His “historic” speech turned out to be more of the same: a call for the world to salvage a two-state solution that died years ago, systematically destroyed by Israel as a result of its relentless construction on Palestinian land of settlements deemed illegal by the United Nations.

From the article:

it is past time for bold moves by Abbas: to make it clear that our rights are not negotiable; to promote support for the growing Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement; to push to hold Israel accountable; and to make it clear that Palestinians will press for equality.

Really? THAT is the "bold move"? Meaningless drivel.

I wouldn't be too hard on Mahmoud. He's just following his inner Islam. With the Great Satan and others turning off the welfare fraud spigot, he has chosen to reduce what little was spent on infrastructure and civil sevices and to make payments to psychopathic gee-had killers a priority.

The Arab-Moslem psyche is a dark and dangerous place.

54F4BA3D-1156-4FF9-9A8E-4C9A5889C620.jpeg

Participants at the launch of the first Palestinian community-based Youth Sports League in Jericho. The project is funded by the Government of Japan and implemented by UNDP in partnership with the Ministry of Education and Higher Education, Al-Quds University, and the Palestinian Olympic Committee.
© UNDP/PAPP – Nadine Abu Rmeileh

Palestinian Youth: Carrying the Potential for Future Growth

http://thisweekinpalestine.com/palestinian-youth-carrying-potential-future-growth/

Pretty innovative :)

Rooftop farms in Gaza provide a lifeline to the community

Meeting even basic needs can be a challenge for the nearly 2 million people that live in Gaza. An Israeli blockade inhibits international trade and prevents vital supplies from reaching the 141 square mile territory, so the Palestinians living there rely on resilience and innovation to survive with the resources they have. Squeezed out of arable land, many Gaza residents are farming upwards, on the rooftops of the dense urban Mediterranean territory.

6978AFDA-B627-42DB-86AB-40BF665430E8.jpeg

:coffee:
Did that girl at the end just confirm that "Palestinian nationalism" is separate from statehood?

Israelis have been saying this for the last 5 decades - You guys have no interest in an independent state, never did. I guess we just had to speak much S-L-O-W-E-R when addressing You geniuses...
The Palestinians do not need to create "a state."
I thought Pal'istan was a "country".
That is confusing here in the US. Our "country" is made up of 50 "states."

What country should the islamic terrorist "state" of gaza become a part of?
I don't know. Maybe the state of Israel and the state of Palestine in a country called The Holy Land.

aren't you sick of pretending already ? isn't it....stressful ?

- Festival goers
- Theatre Group People
- women walking around not looking like grim reapers
- Etc, pretend normalcy [and that really weird video clip you posted where that kid/teen? slapped that soldier in the face? was that for real ? it was weird to say the least.... [that she wasn't tackled to the ground and hauled off to ...jail].

so, what about the terrorists and that stupid soldier-slapping kid? they're too cro-magnum-like to run anything except, well you know, [yes, how to run a terrorist ring - hey, they're world known!!]....

...ain't it too bad your prancing friends aren't getting anywhere at all in the "state/country" dept because of their "dopey leaders" - isn't that what you called them ? .....forget the treaty of 1904 and armisticeses and declarations....and your...videos.....

....too bad for them......there's always a problem where mad dog terrorists live.....don't the theatre group people know that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back