Pentacostal Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malachi 3:3 He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness,

Context

The Coming Day of Judgment
…2"But who can endure the day of His coming? And who can stand when He appears? For He is like a refiner's fire and like fullers' soap. 3"He will sit as a smelter and purifier of silver, and He will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, so that they may present to the LORD offerings in righteousness. 4"Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the LORD as in the days of old and as in former years.…

Cross References

Psalm 4:5
Offer the sacrifices of the righteous and trust in the LORD.

Psalm 51:19
Then you will delight in the sacrifices of the righteous, in burnt offerings offered whole; then bulls will be offered on your altar.

Psalm 66:10
For you, God, tested us; you refined us like silver.

Proverbs 17:3
The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but the LORD tests the heart.

Proverbs 25:4
Remove the dross from the silver, and a silversmith can produce a vessel;

Isaiah 1:25
I will turn my hand against you; I will thoroughly purge away your dross and remove all your impurities.

Jeremiah 9:7
Therefore this is what the LORD Almighty says: "See, I will refine and test them, for what else can I do because of the sin of my people?

Ezekiel 20:38
I will purge you of those who revolt and rebel against me. Although I will bring them out of the land where they are living, yet they will not enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the LORD.

Daniel 11:35
Some of the wise will stumble, so that they may be refined, purified and made spotless until the time of the end, for it will still come at the appointed time.

Last edited:
The commentary is included with this one.

Malachi 3:3 He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness,Parallel Commentaries
Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

3:1-6 The first words of this chapter seem an answer to the scoffers of those days. Here is a prophecy of the appearing of John the Baptist. He is Christ's harbinger. He shall prepare the way before him, by calling men to repentance. The Messiah had been long called, He that should come, and now shortly he will come. He is the Messenger of the covenant. Those who seek Jesus, shall find pleasure in him, often when not looked for. The Lord Jesus, prepares the sinner's heart to be his temple, by the ministry of his word and the convictions of his Spirit, and he enters it as the Messenger of peace and consolation. No hypocrite or formalist can endure his doctrine, or stand before his tribunal. Christ came to distinguish men, to separate between the precious and the vile. He shall sit as a Refiner. Christ, by his gospel, shall purify and reform his church, and by his Spirit working with it, shall regenerate and cleanse souls. He will take away the dross found in them. He will separate their corruptions, which render their faculties worthless and useless. The believer needs not fear the fiery trial of afflictions and temptations, by which the Saviour refines his gold. He will take care it is not more intense or longer than is needful for his good; and this trial will end far otherwise than that of the wicked. Christ will, by interceding for them, make them accepted. Where no fear of God is, no good is to be expected. Evil pursues sinners. God is unchangeable. And though the sentence against evil works be not executed speedily, yet it will be executed; the Lord is as much an enemy to sin as ever. We may all apply this to ourselves. Because we have to do with a God that changes not, therefore it is that we are not consumed; because his compassions fail not.

Pulpit Commentary

Verse 3. - He shall sit. As a judge. The prophet confines himself to the first of the two images presented in the preceding verse. The sons of Levi. Especially the priests, who ought to set an example, and teach holiness and obedience. Thus judgment should begin at the house of God (Ezekiel 9:6; 1 Peter 4:17). The purifying consists not only in exterminating the evil, but also in correcting............. see link for further reading.

Last edited:
Here is Guyon's message. http://www.ccel.org/ccel/guyon

Refined In His Presence

God purifies your spirit through Wisdom as refiners do metals in the furnace. Gold cannot be purified except by fire, which consumes all that is earthly and foreign. The earthly part cannot be changed into gold. No, it must be melted and dissolved by force of the fire to separate every foreign particle. It must be cast again and again into the furnace until it has lost every trace of pollution and every possibility of being further purified. Now, because of its perfect purity and simplicity, the goldsmith can no longer discover any adulterate mixture. The fire no longer touches it. If it were to remain in the furnace, its spotlessness would not be increased or its substance diminished. It is now fit for the most exquisite workmanship.

Hereafter the gold seems obscured or defiled, it is nothing more than accidental impurity occasioned by the contact from some foreign body, and it is only superficial. There is no hindrance in its service. Thus, divine justice and wisdom, like a pitiless and devouring fire, must destroy all that is earthly, sensual, and carnal before the soul can be united to God. This can never be accomplished by any works of the creature. In fact, the creature always submits with reluctance because he is so enamored with self and so fearful of its destruction. If God did not act on him powerfully and with authority, he would never consent.

Yet, I would add even though God does not rob man of his free will, man can always resist the divine operations. I would be in error to say God acts absolutely and without man's consent. Let me, however, explain. By man giving God a passive consent, God may then assume full power and entire guidance. In the beginning of his conversion, man gave an unreserved surrender of himself to all that God wills. He thereby gave an active consent to whatever God might require. When God begins to purify, very often the soul does not perceive these operations are intended for his good. Rather, he supposes the contrary.

When gold is first placed in the fire, it seems to blacken rather than brighten. The soul being purified senses this also, but he perceives that purity is lost.

If active and explicit consent was required, the soul could scarcely give it. No, in fact, he would often withhold it. All he does now is to remain firm in his passive consent enduring as patiently as possible all these divine operations. In this manner, God purifies a soul from it's self - originated and mutiplied operations which constitute a great dissimilitude between him and God.

This process of purifying may last a long time. But you must not become discouraged. Yield yourself to the divine Spirit until you are wholly absorbed in Him. - Madame Guyon

This brings to mind something that Katherine Kuhlman said once, She said, God is not looking for golden vessels. God is not looking for silver vessels. God is looking for "yielded vessels". This is the key. I was telling my husband today God would use anyone. It does not matter - man - woman - child - God is looking for a yielded vessel. Not intelligence, not talents, not gifts of eloquence or any other oratory skills - only a yielded vessel. That is all God needs!

Last edited:
2 Samuel 5:4 David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years.
Context

David Anointed King over Israel
…3So all the elders of Israel came to the king at Hebron, and King David made a covenant with them before the LORD at Hebron; then they anointed David king over Israel. 4David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years. 5At Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months, and in Jerusalem he reigned thirty-three years over all Israel and Judah.

Cross References

Luke 3:23
Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry. He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph, the son of Heli,

Genesis 41:46
Joseph was thirty years old when he entered the service of Pharaoh king of Egypt. And Joseph went out from Pharaoh's presence and traveled throughout Egypt.

Numbers 4:3
Count all the men from thirty to fifty years of age who come to serve in the work at the tent of meeting.

1 Kings 2:11
He had reigned forty years over Israel--seven years in Hebron and thirty-three in Jerusalem.

1 Chronicles 3:4
These six were born to David in Hebron, where he reigned seven years and six months. David reigned in Jerusalem thirty-three years,

1 Chronicles 26:31
As for the Hebronites, Jeriah was their chief according to the genealogical records of their families. In the fortieth year of David's reign a search was made in the records, and capable men among the Hebronites were found at Jazer in Gilead.

King David reigned in Jerusalem for 33 years which is a representation of the LORD and 7 years in Hebron. The process which King David went through did not happen overnight, neither will that be the case with the servants of God although some might not realize that truth just yet. The greater the ministry, the call, the deeper the work, the longer the testings, the trials, there is no testimony without a test and there is no triumph without the trials as someone once said before. It is going to take some endurance on the part of the saint to get ahold of this but what Jeanne Guyon is speaking of is the truth. It is a powerful, powerful truth! The work of the cross is a necessary work in the believers life because we were created in Him to become broken bread and poured out wine to the multitudes. Stephens full surrender to Christ was a witness to those who were stoning him to death. We do not see such executions openly in America as one would see on the continent of Africa perhaps but if the work of the cross is not accomplished it will be a more difficult matter to endure sufferings and hardships later on. Either way I believe the LORD is in full control but how much sweeter to fully yield to His Spirit and let that work be accomplished in us now.

* King David was anointed to become king while he was a young lad. He didn't become King of Israel until he was the age of 30. There was a preparation going on for that position he was destined to step into. That was to become an earthly king. How much more is the requirements for what the sons and daughters of Almighty God are being prepared for right now? We are destined for the throne! To rule and reign! How glorious is that?

Last edited:
Here is Guyon's message. Madam Guyon - Christian Classics Ethereal Library - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Refined In His Presence

God purifies your spirit through Wisdom as refiners do metals in the furnace. Gold cannot be purified except by fire, which consumes all that is earthly and foreign. The earthly part cannot be changed into gold. No, it must be melted and dissolved by force of the fire to separate every foreign particle. It must be cast again and again into the furnace until it has lost every trace of pollution and every possibility of being further purified. Now, because of its perfect purity and simplicity, the goldsmith can no longer discover any adulterate mixture. The fire no longer touches it. If it were to remain in the furnace, its spotlessness would not be increased or its substance diminished. It is now fit for the most exquisite workmanship.

Hereafter the gold seems obscured or defiled, it is nothing more than accidental impurity occasioned by the contact from some foreign body, and it is only superficial. There is no hindrance in its service. Thus, divine justice and wisdom, like a pitiless and devouring fire, must destroy all that is earthly, sensual, and carnal before the soul can be united to God. This can never be accomplished by any works of the creature. In fact, the creature always submits with reluctance because he is so enamored with self and so fearful of its destruction. If God did not act on him powerfully and with authority, he would never consent.

Yet, I would add even though God does not rob man of his free will, man can always resist the divine operations. I would be in error to say God acts absolutely and without man's consent. Let me, however, explain. By man giving God a passive consent, God may then assume full power and entire guidance. In the beginning of his conversion, man gave an unreserved surrender of himself to all that God wills. He thereby gave an active consent to whatever God might require. When God begins to purify, very often the soul does not perceive these operations are intended for his good. Rather, he supposes the contrary.

When gold is first placed in the fire, it seems to blacken rather than brighten. The soul being purified senses this also, but he perceives that purity is lost.

If active and explicit consent was required, the soul could scarcely give it. No, in fact, he would often withhold it. All he does now is to remain firm in his passive consent enduring as patiently as possible all these divine operations. In this manner, God purifies a soul from it's self - originated and mutiplied operations which constitute a great dissimilitude between him and God.

This process of purifying may last a long time. But you must not become discouraged. Yield yourself to the divine Spirit until you are wholly absorbed in Him. - Madame Guyon

This brings to mind something that Katherine Kuhlman said once, She said, God is not looking for golden vessels. God is not looking for silver vessels. God is looking for "yielded vessels". This is the key. I was telling my husband today God would use anyone. It does not matter - man - woman - child - God is looking for a yielded vessel. Not intelligence, not talents, not gifts of eloquence or any other oratory skills - only a yielded vessel. That is all God needs!

So going back to Guyon. I've read her life story and her works, I bought all of her books and she knows what she is speaking about. Her life was quite extraordinary. The Queen wanted to take Jeanne to live with her as a child she found her so intriguing but her father would not part with her. Later Jeannes' beauty was so captivating that a very wealthy man asked for her hand in marriage and it was agreed by the family that is what would happen. Jeanne had to suffer many things during those years because of her passion for Christ, trials such as her mother in law living with her and she was a very difficult woman from the stories, the servants the husband employed were just as bad, it was one trial after another until his death. Then she was free of those trials and onto others.... Prior to his death she had a case of chicken pox and rather than take the medicines the doctor prescribed she declined so that her beauty would be marred. There is alot more to her story including the Roman Catholic church imprisoning her for 10 yrs after the death of her husband - because "she loved God too much" then add to this the deaths of her children - her calling to become the spiritual director of Fenelon who was appointed the personal tutor of the Kings only son! She lived quite a life and her books are classics. I would recommend enjoying God, Spiritual Torrents and her autobiography first.

I should include Katherine Kuhlmans testimony too as she also has an excellent testimony!

[ame=http://youtu.be/7e6PENRqJJM]Kathryn Kuhlman reveals the secret of her ministry part 1 of 6 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/frWWNwTKttQ]Kathryn Kuhlman reveals the secret of her ministry part 2 of 6 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/gZa56LDlcX8]Kathryn Kuhlman reveals the secret of her ministry part 3 of 6 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/-ePrs4HAUWo]Kathryn Kuhlman reveals the secret of her ministry part 4 of 6 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/rF5Z_eTL9Rg]Kathryn Kuhlman reveals the secret of her ministry part 5 of 6 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/YxyhTqBcmOI]Kathryn Kuhlman reveals the secret of her ministry part 6 of 6 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/fkYLx074mXk]Your name is holy Maranatha singers - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/zVqWEtfpTgo]Lord I Lift Your Name On High - Maranatha Singers (With Lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and light unto my path" -( Psalm 119,105,130)
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=category&cid=44

This is a teaching from Watchman Nee called, "The Source of Light":

First of all, Christ is our light. Again therefore Jesus spake unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life" ( John 8: 12) The Lord Jesus Christ is light. As we draw nigh to Him we see light. How often we imagine that nothing is wrong, but when we bring the fact to the Lord and ask Him to reveal the truth to us we realize how very wrong is the matter. Day by day we fancy everything is fine, until we draw nigh to the Lord and discover our fault. For the one estimate is our own measurement, while the other is God's measurement. If a Christian does not pray earnestly, asking the LORD to unveil to him his real condition, it is almost certain that nine out of ten times he will do the wrong thing. The more one draws near to the Lord the moer he shall receive the light of God. - Watchman Nee The Source of Light from the book Spiritual Knowledge -

Last edited:
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my Path. - ( Psalm 119, 105, 130 )http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=category&cid=44

This is the second part of a teaching from Watchman Nee called, "The Source of Light":

Second, God's word is light. "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path" The opening of thy words giveth light. Probably we are quite familiar with these two verses, still, if we meditate on them carefully before God we shall come to appreciate how profound they are. Concerning the path you are taking, is it man or God who says you are all right? The works of the flesh cannot be hidden from God's light. Not what people say, but what the word of God says. Right or wrong is not to be daily determined by our feelings, rather it is to be decided by God's word. We must not conclude, rather, let God's word judge the matter. Place ourselves before His word and allow it to judge and to unveil. Hence let us study the Bible diligently and depend on the Holy Spirit to open up His word so that we may know ourselves. - Watchman Nee The Source of Light from the book Spiritual Knowledge -

Last edited:
This is the third part of the teaching from Watchman Nee called, "The Source of Light"
Watchman Nee Text Sermons - Sermon Index

Third, Christians are our light. Ye are the light of the world. ( Matt. 5: 14) We usually take this word as referring to the good conduct of Christians. Actually it has a deeper meaning. What is said here is that a Christian is a light. He is able to make manifest the true image of a person. As he lives in God's light he is much feared by others, for in seeing him they feel condemned. A feeble Christian does not mind meeting another similar to himself, but when he comes near to one who lives in God's light he feels ashamed. Under enlightenment his pride and dishonesty are all exposed. Brothers and sisters, no one can work for God without having God's light. Who else will ever be brought closer to God unless "your" light shines on him? If you live close to God and your life is always governed by God's light, you will automatically make manifest the real condition of those who come near to you. To do God's will and to fulfill God's work you need to be a light. When you draw near to a person who lives close to God you feel His presence. The person does not make you sense how gentle and humble he is. He makes you sense God. When I began to serve the Lord I was determined to do the will of God. naturally I felt I had done His will. But whenever I went to see a certain sister to talk with her and read some veses of the Bible together, I was immediately convinced of my inadequacy. Each time I saw her I felt something special: God was there. By getting near to her you sensed God, for she had light, and her life was governed by God's light. As you can near to her, her light would convict you. One thing, though, must be remembered, which is, that the light you receive is from the revelation of the Holy Spirit, regardless, whether its unveiling comes through approaching Christ, studying the Word or gathering with other believers. It is the Holy Spirit which manifests to you the unapproachable light in which God dwells - even God's glory and holiness and righteousness. It is the Spirit who causes us to realize what is the absolute standard of God by which we are enabled to see ourselves, our real conditions, and our shortcoming. - Watchman Nee The Source of Light from the book Spiritual Knowledge -

That concludes that short clip from a much larger teaching from Watchman Nee. His sermons are free on the youtube videos, also on google there is much material from his teaching which some of was gathered at meetings he held in China for the believers.

When I watch Katherine Kuhlman's videos the light of Christ is there. When I listen to Lester Sumrall videos the light of Christ is there, when I read the Word of God, the light of Christ is there and the closer we draw to the Lord Jesus who IS The Light - the more we see our flaws and shortcomings! It is a good thing when we no longer despair over this and see it as part of the process in His refining us because again He is burning out the dross by His Spirit and examining us with that light. He is exposing everything that can be exposed by the Light of His Holy Word and by the Light of His precious Holy Spirit who is doing this work in each of us. It is a process of sanctification but we must judge ourselves by the Word of God and not by a comparison with the world. If we compare ourselves with the world, we may be satisfied that this is enough even as a work might look satisfactory under artificial lighting but take it outside under the bright sunlight and examine it and then see what you see. It looks quite different and this is the way it is when we examine ourselves by the Word of God. Then we yield ourselves to the Holy Spirit and repent and He removes it.

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

So here is another sermon teaching Nee gave during his lifetime called, "The Power of the Light" ( Same book Spiritual Knowledge )

The power of the light is to give people self-knowledge. When one enters into this light he is shown his actual condition. many a believer is naturally self-conceited, self-complacent, and self - righteous. Human words - exhortation, persuasion, warning and reproach - are unable to help him see his depravity. Only the light of God which shines on him can make him realize how undone, corrupt, and hypocritical he is. When God's light comes, everything will betray his true color. It is true that none can be saved without the shining of God's light on him. But neither can anyone advance spiritually or work effectively without it. Let us look at these two matters closely.

How does a sinner know that the Lord Jesus is Savior? Without a doubt it is not by arguement. Moreover, how does he realize that he is a sinner? No amount of logic, reason, or warning will ever cause a sinner to see his sin and see the Lord Jesus as his Savior. I do not mean that these are totally useless, for they do have their place. Even so, these can only effect mental consent but not spiritual seeing. Every sinner is blind, such blindness prevents him from perceiving the true radiancy of God's gospel. The Holy Spirit, however, opens his eyes that he may see the light of God. Seeing is a special blessing of the New Covenant. That God reveals His Son in me is an experienced shared by each and every saved sinner.

How futile for us to think that we may persuade people t accept Christianity by beautiful thoughts, reasons, hot atmosphere, emotion, music, tears and arguments. The chief factor in conversion is God's light, the light shed abroad by the Holy Spirit For the basic need is for a sinner to see his own condition as well as to see the glory of the Lord Jesus. Tears, remorse, zeal, and wonderful feelings are all of them of no avail, only seeing in the Holy Spirit can cause him to truly accept Jesus Christ as Savior. No one is able to to believe and accept what he does not see. Because he has seen inwardly, he is able to believe. Such faith is immovable and will stand up well in trial. - Watchman Nee
Watchman Nee Text Sermons - Sermon Index

Jesus Christ is the light of the world, He is the Word of God - The Holy Spirit is the author and the revelator of the scriptures. Faith cometh by hearing the Word of God - yes - and as Watchman Nee points out - there is a need for the lost sinner to see their state as it truly is - the Word of God is that light - that lamp that shines on the darkness within them and speaks to their heart ( where the trouble is!! ) and says you are perishing. You are not redeemed and you are in need of a savior, you need to call upon Jesus Christ to save your soul. So this is going into the message of the cross now and we will continue on but first let's look at something Katherine Kuhlman said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back