Poll: Well-off say tax the rich

Taking 15% from each would be equal.

No, it would not. The more money a person has, the less a given percentage of it is worth.

Fifteen percent of $10,000 income is much, much, much more than fifteen percent of ten million. Fifteen percent of ten million would deprive the millionaire of a little extra money to gamble with. Fifteen percent of $10k means someone goes hungry or homeless or does without medicine.

So I was correct. You do not feel all men should be treated equally.

What you were not correct about is that "treating everyone equally" is something that can be established simplistically, without regard to the fact that, by any objective measure, all people are NOT equal.

But let's turn that around. If you really feel that everyone should be treated equally, then you would support everyone having a private jet and a mansion whether they can pay for it or not, right?

Why dont you guys just come out and say what you mean. The left does not feel all men should be treated equally.

Taking a thousand dollars from someone who has ten million, and taking a thousand dollars from someone who has a thousand, is not treating the two equally. It is depriving the first of a pittance, and the second of his last cent and his means of survival.

There can always be a provision that the first $$$$ not be taxed at all.

Dont bitch when others respond in kind and feel you should not be treated equally.

Yep, Dragon feels different about all men being treated equal.

Raise the taxes, as long as it's on the other guy.

What you were not correct about is that "treating everyone equally" is something that can be established simplistically, without regard to the fact that, by any objective measure, all people are NOT equal.

But let's turn that around. If you really feel that everyone should be treated equally, then you would support everyone having a private jet and a mansion whether they can pay for it or not, right?

Perhaps if they had more ambition while in school and in jobs they would excelled to where they could afford the luxuries of their dreams. Instead of going through life lazy and letting the other person do it.
Life is full of choices, it's what you do with them.....well you get the picture.

Perhaps if they had more ambition while in school and in jobs they would excelled to where they could afford the luxuries of their dreams. Instead of going through life lazy and letting the other person do it.

Ah. So you DON'T believe in treating everyone equally, and there are circumstances in which that may be fully justified -- because in terms of ambition, for example, everyone is NOT equal.

Perhaps it's time we dismissed the simplistic bullshit slogans, then, and discuss in what way we can distribute the tax burden so as to cause the least harm.

No, it would not. The more money a person has, the less a given percentage of it is worth.

Fifteen percent of $10,000 income is much, much, much more than fifteen percent of ten million. Fifteen percent of ten million would deprive the millionaire of a little extra money to gamble with. Fifteen percent of $10k means someone goes hungry or homeless or does without medicine.

Social impacts aside - and they are only marginally relevant to this matter altogether - this is the reason why any and every competently laid tax system has progressions.

This is classical capitalism 101, and will carry its impact over the disposable money possessed by the popular majority who engage in the commerce that the 'ten millionaire' facilitates. In this way, neither the poor nor the wealthy would stand to benefit from any flat-liability system.

Hoarding has the same effect as taxing broke-asses (removing $ from popular circulation), and indicates the reasoning behind chiefly taxing in proportion to the wherewithal to hoard, moreover.

Money

Ah. So you DON'T believe in treating everyone equally, and there are circumstances in which that may be fully justified -- because in terms of ambition, for example, everyone is NOT equal.

Perhaps it's time we dismissed the simplistic bullshit slogans, then, and discuss in what way we can distribute the tax burden so as to cause the least harm.

Who's fault is that regarding ambition? Your given the same opportunity, it's what YOU do with it that changes the game.

Like I have said, your view is to tax the other guy. Brilliant :lol:

So with people not being equal in real life, discrimination becomes OK.

:dig:

Who's fault is that regarding ambition? Your given the same opportunity, it's what YOU do with it that changes the game.

Exactly. And that means we SHOULDN'T treat everyone equally, because everyone is not equal. We agree on that.

Same with taxes. That follows logically.

It becomes necessary, and you believe in it every bit as much as I do. Or if not, I'll expect my private jet at the runway, thanks very much . . .

"Discrimination" becomes wrong when it is done on an invalid basis, such as race or gender. Income or wealth or class is not an invalid basis for discrimination. It allows a person privileges not afforded to those with less, such as ownership of a private jet. It also, as a flip side, can and should mean a person has more obligations and responsibilities, such as paying more in taxes.

When all incomes are equal, all taxes can be equal. Until then, that would result in unfairness, precisely because it treats people as equal -- who are not.

Exactly. And that means we SHOULDN'T treat everyone equally, because everyone is not equal. We agree on that.

Same with taxes. That follows logically.

Comprehension IS not your friend. Everyone is not equal do to their own choice, it comes with a cost.....logically speaking, of course.
That doesn't give the green flag to let the others make up the difference.

It becomes necessary, and you believe in it every bit as much as I do. Or if not, I'll expect my private jet at the runway, thanks very much . . .

"Discrimination" becomes wrong when it is done on an invalid basis, such as race or gender. Income or wealth or class is not an invalid basis for discrimination. It allows a person privileges not afforded to those with less, such as ownership of a private jet. It also, as a flip side, can and should mean a person has more obligations and responsibilities, such as paying more in taxes.

When all incomes are equal, all taxes can be equal. Until then, that would result in unfairness, precisely because it treats people as equal -- who are not.

If you don't think that the wealthy don't pay more taxes than the less wealthy, then you have your head stuck in the ground.

LOL As I thought you are a dreamer lusting something that can never be achieved.

All men should be treated equally PERIOD Your lust for others wealth under the guise of charity has been noted.

Everyone is not equal do to their own choice, it comes with a cost.....logically speaking, of course.

Well, we will have to disagree about it being entirely due to people's own choices. It's also due to accidents of birth, genetic differences, and so on. A person who suffers from mental disability is not going to be able to make as much money as a genius with a financial degree.

But the bottom line is that, even to the extent that it is due to people's choices, a rich person and a poor person are NOT equal, and should not be treated as if they were. And you believe that just as much as I do -- when it comes to the privileges of wealth.

You just don't seem to believe it when it comes to the obligations and responsibilities.

If you don't think that the wealthy don't pay more taxes than the less wealthy, then you have your head stuck in the ground.

Actually Mr. Meister that's not where he sticks his head..

LOL As I thought you are a dreamer lusting something that can never be achieved.

The only thing that could possibly have given you that idea was this: "When all incomes are equal, all taxes can be equal." That however is not saying that all incomes SHOULD be equal. It is saying that, as long as they aren't, taxes shouldn't be, either. And that is something that certainly CAN be achieved.

All men should be treated equally PERIOD

You don't believe that any more than I do. Or if you do, then where's my private jet?

I do think that the wealthy pay more taxes than the less wealthy, and I also think that they should do so.

Social impacts aside - and they are only marginally relevant to this matter altogether - this is the reason why any and every competently laid tax system has progressions.

This is classical capitalism 101, and will carry its impact over the disposable money possessed by the popular majority who engage in the commerce that the 'ten millionaire' facilitates. In this way, neither the poor nor the wealthy would stand to benefit from any flat-liability system.

Hoarding has the same effect as taxing broke-asses (removing $ from popular circulation), and indicates the reasoning behind chiefly taxing in proportion to the wherewithal to hoard, moreover.

Money

Silly me. I thought the nutters would be all over this one. What gives?

Everyone is not equal do to their own choice, it comes with a cost.....logically speaking, of course.

Well, we will have to disagree about it being entirely due to people's own choices. It's also due to accidents of birth, genetic differences, and so on. A person who suffers from mental disability is not going to be able to make as much money as a genius with a financial degree.

But the bottom line is that, even to the extent that it is due to people's choices, a rich person and a poor person are NOT equal, and should not be treated as if they were. And you believe that just as much as I do -- when it comes to the privileges of wealth.

You just don't seem to believe it when it comes to the obligations and responsibilities.

We aren't talking about the disabled, okay? Never were.

Show me anything that even talks about responsiblities and obligations.
A rich person and a poor person are not equal, by choice....for the most part, yes, some will fall between the cracks. But it certainly isn't because of them being not having their opportunity....its by their choice. That is what you fail to recognize. Sounds more like sour grapes on your behalf.

We aren't talking about the disabled, okay? Never were.

I was. They illustrate the folly of pretending that everyone is equal. On the other end, Bill Gates could not have done what he did without access to his father's wealth as start-up capital. All people are not equal, either in their starting conditions or in their circumstances, and should not be treated as such except in certain specific and narrowly-defined categories, such as equal treatment before the law (which is also not actually done in our society, by the way).

Show me anything that even talks about responsiblities and obligations.

Taxes. The subject of this thread. That's an obligation and responsibility.

A rich person and a poor person are not equal by choice....for the most part, yes, some will fall between the cracks. But it certainly isn't because of them being not having their opportunity....its by their choice. That is what you fail to recognize. Sounds more like sour grapes on your behalf.

I think you're exaggerating the degree to which people actually have that choice, but it doesn't really matter. Whether it's by their choice or not, the fact remains that rich people and non-rich people are not equal, and to treat them as if they were results in injustice.

Forum List

Back