Pope allows priests to forgive women who have abortions

Your complete lack of comprehension of the process of sin and forgiveness is duly noted. I will tell you, however, that you yourself have sinned and if what you have said is true, we are all damned, including you. The condition of being forgiven, the FIRST condition, is that you must forgive all who have sinned against you. The more a person has hurt you, the more important it is to forgive them. As part of my conversion process, (I was always Catholic but I CONVERTED to being REALLY a Catholic), I forgave everyone who had hurt me, including kids in school who bullied me for years and REALLY hurt me.

Well if you have murdered anyone or been involved in a post 6 month abortion then I think you are in really deep sh!t and Lucifer is warming up an oven in Hell for you.

As for me, I have never murdered anyone nor been a party to any abortion.

Q.E.D.
You are a human being, so the chance that you sin every day is 100%. Every one of those sins is either venial or mortal. Even one mortal sin can mean you can't enter heaven. It's a tough situation for all of us, which is why we need mercy. Mercy is offered by the Catholic Church in the sacrament of penance.

I hear ya Jackson. Why should I have a priest or a pastor tell me what God's will is for me? I thought that God gave free will to everyone.

I also believe that God is too large to be contained in just one belief system or dogma, and I really don't think He cares if we eat meat or not, and as long as we acknowledge Him and try to live by the 10 Commandments, do you REALLY need to go to a fancy building ran by a dude in a dress (reference to Catholic priest robes)?
This which you state is Martin Luther's view and officially now Lutheran doctrine.

Catholic doctrine states that the Holy Church is the intercessor between God and humankind.

Luther did not like that, especially after seeing with his own eyes the corruption at Rome at the time.

After Luther's reformation, the Vatican instituted a counter-reformation to clean itself up.

But the opinion you stated is Lutheran Protestant not Catholic.

Actually, I came to those views from studying Tao. I simply used 10 Commandments as an example for the Christians. I could have also used the Buddhist values to show that view as well.

Myself personally? I believe there is a Creator, and for sake of convenience, I call Him God or Father, but I don't think that I need to go to a church or other place of worship to get close to Him. All I really have to do is shut up long enough to listen to that small still voice in my mind, and look for where coincidences are happening in my life, because that is where I believe God likes to show us He's there.

Even though the Catholic stance on abortions has not changed, Pope Francis now says that priests can absolve and forgive women who have abortions. It used to be only bishops who could do that, but now it is a sin that priests can forgive as well.

Pope Francis allows priests to absolve women who have abortions

Thoughts?
Lol...God forgives, Jesus paid the price...not priests
Jesus gave holy orders to the Apostles. Every bishop in the Catholic Church got holy orders from another bishop in Apostolic succession. All priests got holy orders from a bishop. This is an unbroken chain lasting 2000 years. This Apostolic succession is where the authority of the Pope, bishops and priests get their authority to administer the sacraments, including reconciliation.

Even though the Catholic stance on abortions has not changed, Pope Francis now says that priests can absolve and forgive women who have abortions. It used to be only bishops who could do that, but now it is a sin that priests can forgive as well.

Thoughts?
Jesus gave holy orders to the Apostles. Every bishop in the Catholic Church got holy orders from another bishop in Apostolic succession. All priests got holy orders from a bishop. This is an unbroken chain lasting 2000 years. This Apostolic succession is where the authority of the Pope, bishops and priests get their authority to administer the sacraments, including reconciliation.
God is sufficient!

Thoughts?

That's it. Ass-u-me-ing God, the only forgiveness the women need to seek is from their God and their terminated fetus.

Thoughts?
God is sufficient!
That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

But Catholics believe God did not just toss down a Bible 2000 years ago and leave the world. Christ founded a Church, an institution of men, which is guided in its decisions by the Holy Spirit. The Catholic Church is the only religion in the world with a centralized authority that has lasted for longer than any nation on Earth. It is has survived Roman Emperors, Communist dictators, and the Nazis. It will also survive modern secularism, which seeks to undermine it from within.

Thoughts?

I think abortion as a technology is not going to go away.

I think that the crime against humanity is not the use of abortion, but the industrialization of that technology. Educating young women about sex and making sure that they have the tools and knowledge to prevent pregnancy would be a much better, albeit less profitable, investment.

If a proper education about sex fails to prevent an unwanted pregnancy, abortion should remain one of many safe and legal options for families agonizing over a situation and decision where abortion might be a solution, and the guilt or not over using it should be solely in the hands and heart of the woman who decides that it is the best solution for her predicament.

Thoughts?
God is sufficient!

But Catholics believe God did not just toss down a Bible 2000 years ago and leave the world. Christ founded a Church, an institution of men, which is guided in its decisions by the Holy Spirit. The Catholic Church is the only religion in the world with a centralized authority that has lasted for longer than any nation on Earth. It is has survived Roman Emperors, Communist dictators, and the Nazis. It will also survive modern secularism, which seeks to undermine it from within.
And, if you feel God is not sufficient, you are entitled to your opinion

Thoughts?

I think abortion as a technology is not going to go away.

I think that the crime against humanity is not the use of abortion, but the industrialization of that technology. Educating young women about sex and making sure that they have the tools and knowledge to prevent pregnancy would be a much better, albeit less profitable, investment.

If a proper education about sex fails to prevent an unwanted pregnancy, abortion should remain one of many safe and legal options for families agonizing over a situation and decision where abortion might be a solution, and the guilt or not over using it should be solely in the hands and heart of the woman who decides that it is the best solution for her predicament.
In a nation where there are long waiting lists for couples who want to adopt, there is no need for ANY abortion.

Thoughts?
God is sufficient!

I talk to God all the time. But he doesn't talk back, so sometimes I go to a priest and tell him my sins in confession, and he forgives me on behalf of God.

Protestants don't have this option. They can talk to their preachers, but the preachers don't have the authority to forgive sin, and they are not bound to the secrecy of the confessional.

If your God doesn't speak to you, perhaps you should consider changing Gods.

How do you know that any given priest is actually speaking for God when God is unwilling or unable to confirm it to you directly?

If your God doesn't speak to you, perhaps you should consider changing Gods.

How do you know that any given priest is actually speaking for God when God is unwilling or unable to confirm it to you directly?
I am not a prophet so no, God does not speak to me directly.

I think that Catholics should be granted the moral and legal authority to pass judgement on everybody in the world in the matter of abortion. I mean, if you can't trust a guy who has no wife or daughter, presumably little or no sexual experience, and is part of a statistically high population of child predators, just who can you trust in these matters?

I think that Catholics should be granted the moral and legal authority to pass judgement on everybody in the world in the matter of abortion. I mean, if you can't trust a guy who has no wife or daughter, presumably little or no sexual experience, and is part of a statistically high population of child predators, just who can you trust in these matters?

Statistically the percentage of priests that are pedophiles is lower than that of the general population...but keep on focusing on something you're clueless about

God is sufficient!

I talk to God all the time. But he doesn't talk back, so sometimes I go to a priest and tell him my sins in confession, and he forgives me on behalf of God.

Protestants don't have this option. They can talk to their preachers, but the preachers don't have the authority to forgive sin, and they are not bound to the secrecy of the confessional.
So, you are asking a sinner to forgive you
because God needs a middle man to do so on His behalf.

If you are asking a man to forgive you,
then you are not asking God to forgive you.

Only God can forgive...

Statistically the percentage of priests that are pedophiles is lower than that of the general population...but keep on focusing on something you're clueless about

There are more child molesters among the ranks of public school teachers and we are required to send our kids to those schools....unless, of course, we can find extra money to send them to private schools...after we pay for the public schools first....

We can't get school vouchers fast enough....

Forum List

Back