Pope Francis Claims 8000 Paedophile Priests Are At Large

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Pope Francis Claims 8000 Paedophile Priests Are At Large – Your...

This is the kind of thing a Pope is not allowed to say in public. The tradition of the Catholic Church is extreme secrecy, with the Church trying to "cure" pedophile priests instead of turning them over to the police.

But now the cat is out of the bag, and this admission will cause millions of Catholics to lose faith in the Church and drift away.

This is the kind of thing a Pope is not allowed to say in public. The tradition of the Catholic Church is extreme secrecy, with the Church trying to "cure" pedophile priests instead of turning them over to the police.

But now the cat is out of the bag, and this admission will cause millions of Catholics to lose faith in the Church and drift away.

Like you? :lol: He's the Pope while you are not the Pope of the Pope. He can say whatever he likes to say. I don't understand your problem.

If 5% of all men have the disposition of behavior to be pedophiles - that's what psychologists say - then the normal calculation is: from 400000 priests 8000 have the disposition of behavior to be pedophiles. If someone likes to leave the catholic church because of this then this one has to explain how he likes to leave all organisations, all states and even all mankind - because it is everywhere the same.

Merry Christmas - and please remember: To be a Catholic is not a problem - to be a Catholic is joy.

Last edited:

Like you? :lol: He's the Pope while you are not the Pope of the Pope. He can say whatever he likes to say. I don't understand your problem.

If 5% of all men have the disposition of behavior to be pedophiles - that's what psychologists say - then the normal calculation is: from 400000 priests 8000 have the disposition of behavior to be pedophiles. If someone likes to leave the catholic church because of this then this one has to explain how he likes to leave all organisations, all states and even all mankind - because it is everywhere the same.

Merry Christmas - and please remember: To be a Catholic is not a problem - to be a Catholic is joy.
The problem is that the Catholic church condones pedophilia by not removing the priests and handing them over to the police.

The problem is that the Catholic church condones pedophilia by not removing the priests and handing them over to the police.

The problem was that society on the whole (up through the 1970s) wasn't handing over family members, professional people, or clergy to the police. In the 1950s, Psychiatrists were telling us that these pedophiles could be cured by being sent to a "cure" and then given new surroundings. What is not known is that Catholic priests were sent away for this cure, and then given new surroundings (advice from the psychiatric community at the time)--as were teachers and other professionals. About the time the scandal broke, the Church was reporting that this wasn't working.

Fast forward from these times to the present. In fact, Catholic priests are now (and have been for some time) being handed over to the police. Other steps to prevent and spot any further instances of abuse have also been in place for decades. The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops came down hard on any diocese that has not implemented these policies. The Catholic Church practices and policies are now used as a model on how to protect against child abuse.

The last I heard, school districts and recreational sports coaches have yet to catch up, and even a few years ago, some districts were still protecting teachers by moving them around--still following the prevalent practice of society of the twentieth century.

About three years ago, in accordance with current policy, it was announced in all churches in my own diocese that a priest was handed over to the police for further investigation.

A question you might want to ask the news media is why they chose to report on the Catholic Church, but not on the same problems/practices that were occurring in even higher numbers in our school districts? Personally, if the news media had to choose a single "victim" then I am happy they chose to pick the Catholic Church who should have been a leader, not a follower, after they realized the "cure" the psychiatric community recommended was not working, was not working, was not working. Because the media did pick on the Catholic Church, the Church is not considered the model to follow in protecting against/reporting pedophilia. On the other hand, being both Catholic and teacher, I still wonder why the news media let schools off the hook. I still consider this a failure on the media's part.

The problem was that society on the whole (up through the 1970s) wasn't handing over family members, professional people, or clergy to the police. In the 1950s, Psychiatrists were telling us that these pedophiles could be cured by being sent to a "cure" and then given new surroundings. What is not known is that Catholic priests were sent away for this cure, and then given new surroundings (advice from the psychiatric community at the time)--as were teachers and other professionals. About the time the scandal broke, the Church was reporting that this wasn't working.

Fast forward from these times to the present. In fact, Catholic priests are now (and have been for some time) being handed over to the police. Other steps to prevent and spot any further instances of abuse have also been in place for decades. The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops came down hard on any diocese that has not implemented these policies. The Catholic Church practices and policies are now used as a model on how to protect against child abuse.

The last I heard, school districts and recreational sports coaches have yet to catch up, and even a few years ago, some districts were still protecting teachers by moving them around--still following the prevalent practice of society of the twentieth century.

About three years ago, in accordance with current policy, it was announced in all churches in my own diocese that a priest was handed over to the police for further investigation.

A question you might want to ask the news media is why they chose to report on the Catholic Church, but not on the same problems/practices that were occurring in even higher numbers in our school districts? Personally, if the news media had to choose a single "victim" then I am happy they chose to pick the Catholic Church who should have been a leader, not a follower, after they realized the "cure" the psychiatric community recommended was not working, was not working, was not working. Because the media did pick on the Catholic Church, the Church is not considered the model to follow in protecting against/reporting pedophilia. On the other hand, being both Catholic and teacher, I still wonder why the news media let schools off the hook. I still consider this a failure on the media's part.
You hear about the odd priest who gets arrested, but it doesn't happen systematically, and usually doesn't seem to be the church that hands them over, and the church prefers to pay for people's silence...

Old news. As zaangalewa notes, no profession is exempt from those with a predilection to pedophilia. What should also be old news is that the Catholic Church--especially here in the United States--aggressively took steps to protect children and turn over to the police any priest who is being accused. In my own diocese we were flat out given the news when this happened to a priest in our area.

The tradition of "extreme secrecy" (that same tradition in place in ALL parts of society) was replaced back in the 1970s and 80s with the tradition now in place for the last thirty to forty years: That of turning accused priests over to local priests for investigation and punishment.

It appears the cat that has not yet escaped the bag is among non-Catholics: The knowledge that Catholics are aware of all the changes that have been and still is being done to protect children and remove priests. Those Catholics who drifted away, drifted away in the 1970s-1980s. Some are now drifting back, perhaps because they have seen the aggressive action the Church has taken--which is now a model for other agencies.

They are also learning that the media neglected to inform them that the rate of pedophilia was actually less among Catholic priests than among other professions--including non-Catholic clergy.

You hear about the odd priest who gets arrested, but it doesn't happen systematically, and usually doesn't seem to be the church that hands them over, and the church prefers to pay for people's silence...

Seems pretty systematic--at least here in the United States. I'm guessing Catholics are probably more aware of this than non-Catholics, as our local parishes keep us informed. We are also aware that the US Conference of Catholic Bishops are still after a couple of places they consider as not yet up to standard. The only current cases of payment that I am aware of are dioceses paying for damages--after the case has become public.

no comment

The original BBC pieces was a JULY 2014. Francis was announcing that such men would be defrocked and left for appropriate punishment by local authorities.

So, what's the reason for stirring this up now?

The church has quietly investigated claims and, when found to be true, have kept its word and removed them guilty from priestly responsibilities.

The only thing the Vatican denied was that there were any Cardinals identified.

no comment
No comment because I just kicked your Jew hating ass?

The original BBC pieces was a JULY 2014. Francis was announcing that such men would be defrocked and left for appropriate punishment by local authorities.

So, what's the reason for stirring this up now?

The church has quietly investigated claims and, when found to be true, have kept its word and removed them guilty from priestly responsibilities.

The only thing the Vatican denied was that there were any Cardinals identified.
As if the church has outed all pedophiles. You're living in a dream world.

no comment
no comment

no comment
no comment
You should stop hating Jews, Germans don't do that anymore, or we might have to destroy your lousy country once again.

no comment
no comment
You should stop hating Jews, Germans don't do that anymore, or we might have to destroy your lousy country once again.

You are the worst idiot I ever met in the internet. Congrats. You "wan". I guess I will leave now the english speaking world forever. Oh by the way: Your parents wan the war against Germany but they lost the war against the Nazis, because you are the Nazi your parents warned you not to be.

Last edited:
OOOOOH lots to talk about.

One bit of data that came out of the film, 'Spotlight' was that it appears that 6% of priests were paedophiles at the time. While the discovery of this phenomenon seems to have been greatest in the English-speaking world, that number can probably be extrapolated worldwide. 8,000 is not a surprising number.

Many factors are glossed over, forgotten, or intentionally ignored in this whole sordid episode.

The phenomenon has been widespread for all of human history, in all cultures and all societies. For those who care to do the research, the confirmations are all over the place. What happened in Catholic rectories (etc) also happened at Boy Scout venues, Boys Clubs, YMCA's, public schools, and so on. The Catholic priests were WORSE offenders, in that their positions as clerics gave them greater access, greater trust on the part of parents, and made them much more culpable than, say, a Boy Scout troop leader.

Until fairly recently, it was generally believed that most of the activity was relatively harmless to the boy-victims. If you read the interviews of the offending priests, MANY of them felt more or less justified because they got no physical gratification from what they were doing, which was basically giving hand-jobs and blow-jobs to the children and teenagers under their care. Frequently, the victims came back time after time, year after year, then decades later realized that they were harmed and sought to get in line for a cash settlement of some kind. Many lives were ruined by these perverted exploitations, but one cannot ignore the "piling on" effect of self-interested lawyers and the financial rewards of "coming forth."

In this phenomenon, the word, "Paedophilia" lumps together the activities of these priests with the forcible rape of girls and boys. But the actual crimes committed by most of these priests were - I don't know - not AS horrific.

Also, the Church - along with the rest of humanity - did not realize how UN-REPAIRABLE this human defect was. I can easily imagine a Bishop hearing complaints about a priest, calling him in, hearing his confession, hearing him promise to "sin no more," and being satisfied that the problem had been resolved. If only...

After all, the Church believes fervently that behavior can be changed with the grace of God. And who has more access to such grace than a PRIEST?

I experienced 12 years of Catholic education and 66 years (and counting) of being a Catholic, with all that implies, and I am not aware of a single case of inappropriate conduct by a priest or Christian Brother (who taught at my HS). I know of a small number of priests are homosexual and in my opinion these guys would NEVER exploit children, any more than one of my married friends would.

When I was 13, my grade school basketball coach invited me to go on vacation with him and one other kid to the shore at Wildwood, NJ. My parents enthusiastically encouraged me to accept the invitation, and I did. The coach was a single man in his 40's. We had a fantastic time - one of the best vacations of my life.

Would any parent go along with something like this today?

no comment
no comment

You are the worst idiot I ever met in the internet. Congrats. You "wan". I guess I will leave now the english speaking world forever. Oh by the way: Your parents wan the war against Germany but they lost the war against the Nazis, because you are the Nazi your parents warned you not to be.
So now you're finally going to shut up and stop hating Jews? Good. It's about bloody time!

Allow marriage of priests, much lesser queers among them.

1 Timoty 4:1-3
But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,through the hypocrisy of men that speak lies, branded in their own conscience as with a hot iron;men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.

A well adjusted homosexual is less likely to be a pedophile than a married man. Fewer unresolved issues.

Forum List

Back