Poweful photos of people living in poverty....

BS, making being on welfare for life an acceptable way to live is a liberal policy. Providing more welfare for more illegitimate kids is a liberal policy.

It's not a 'liberal' policy when the Republicans had multiple chances to end it.

And helping the poor doesn't hurt the poor. If it did, churches wouldn't do it would they? If it did, conservatives wouldn't brag about how much they supposedly give to charity, would they?
End anti poverty initiatives?

You'd be screaming from the rooftop.

I'm not for turning America into Africa, or Mexico, or India, or wherever the poor are as poor as can be.

Neither is anyone else, whats your point?

You're for eliminating the government assistance to the poor that we have that has the real poverty rate down to about 4%.

when did I ever say I was for eliminating assistance to the poor? answer: never.

But, able bodied americans should be required to do some form of work in exchange for their benefits------------clean the streets, paint public buildings, collect the trash, wash windows, wash police cars, etc. If they had to work for their welfare checks you might see many getting real jobs.

That is just horrible....

Why after six years of Republican Congressional control, haven't they passed a single anti-poverty bill?

Don't Republicans care?

They have a flat screen TV that's much larger than mine and their house is in far better mechanical repair than mine. They look better fed than I do and their clothes look newer than pretty much any of mine.

But at least those people like the Trumps, born into money, have everything they could ever want x 100. Why should they feel obligated to share? I think this is why Trump doesn't want to share his tax returns. He's a landlord. He's been in his units. He sees how "the little people" live. His followers might not like the stark contrast revealed and the lack of charity....and the number of goods Trump sold jobs to China in order to sell and make a better profit off of..
Guess what? They don't make CRT TVs anymore....haven't made them in 10 years

I doubt if their standard of living is higher than yours, it is a conservative myth

No, and it should not be higher. they are living on welfare------------that WE are paying for. The point is that it is far beyond subsistence, and a generational lifestyle.

The old...."Poor people do not suffer enough"

Unless our poor suffer to the satisfaction of conservatives, they will not want to get out of poverty

That was exactly my point. I showed the African poverty, the real suffering for lack of either opportunity or assistance.
Poverty is not magically disappearing in Africa.

It's not a 'liberal' policy when the Republicans had multiple chances to end it.

Its not their fault they've accepted the role of perpetual victim. They could do something about all these "liberal" things but the best they can muster is whining.

The conservative rich have cleverly convinced a large portion of our middle/working class to think and vote conservative by getting them to blame the poor for all their woes...

...it's the classic magician's tactic of misdirection.

totally wrong, no one blames the poor, we blame the liberal ideology that has created generational poverty.

We have a 4% poverty rate. That would go to 15 or 20% or more easily if conservatives had their way.

I doubt it. The white poverty rate is 7%, the black and Hispanic poverty rate is 25%.

However, a poverty rate is just a line drawn in the sand. It doesn't mean much.

Its not their fault they've accepted the role of perpetual victim. They could do something about all these "liberal" things but the best they can muster is whining.

The conservative rich have cleverly convinced a large portion of our middle/working class to think and vote conservative by getting them to blame the poor for all their woes...

totally wrong, no one blames the poor, we blame the liberal ideology that has created generational poverty.

We have a 4% poverty rate. That would go to 15 or 20% or more easily if conservatives had their way.

wrong on both counts. the poverty rate today is higher than when obozo took office, the gap between rich and poor is higher, the number needing foodstamps is higher. Obama has failed the poor, mostly the black poor.

If liberals actually helped and stopped looking at others to do the work, poverty around the world would be eliminated.

lol
When you look at the net worth of the people Western Civilization, poverty could easily be wiped out with a small one time donation to get people out of their rut and onto taking care of themselves.

Thats funny...now do your thing about how the poor dont pay taxes and are "mooching" so everyone can read your quote and laugh at the hypocrisy

People who have nothing to live for, don't care if they live in a mess, don't care if they're fat, don't care about much in life.
It's what happens when God is not part of their lives.

No, it's not.

I don't have God in my life. And I'm not lacking in hope.

Yes, religion can be a good way to give people hope. However there are better ways, as even religious people can be lacking in hope.

Having people around you who you care about, a job and skills which give you a reason to feel worthy are so much better.

then why do you support government sponsored generational welfare?

I would think it to be a tactic of politicians. The art of getting votes from the poor and contributions from the rich and blaming the other for being the problem.

Thats funny...now do your thing about how the poor dont pay taxes and are "mooching" so everyone can read your quote and laugh at the hypocrisy

the poor DON'T pay taxes. Those of us who do are providing the money to give to them as welfare and food stamps. The hypocrisy is coming from you when you deny that reality.

rong on both counts. the poverty rate today is higher than when obozo took office

What has the congress done about it?

the gap between rich and poor is higher

Because republicans in the house and Senate wont do anything about it because they believe there isnt any GAP or INEQUALITY going on, unless they can put it around Obamas neck

the number needing foodstamps is higher.

Doubtful. And if it is you want to take those away too. Thats how you'll help. By taking and saying its for their own good.

Obama has failed the poor, mostly the black poor.

The House and Senate has done what? First you dont give a shit about poor or blacks unless you can attempt to put them against each other. Second, Economic policies always affect the poor and minority community harder. Thats not new, so stop it

the poor DON'T pay taxes. Those of us who do are providing the money to give to them as welfare and food stamps. The hypocrisy is coming from you when you deny that reality.

And since you're paying for them what do you call those people since you're "not blaming the poor"?

And since you're paying for them what do you call those people since you're "not blaming the poor"?

we should help those physically or mentally unable to help themselves, Help to able bodied people should be limited and temporary. Welfare recipient should not be a lifetime status for anyone able to work.

Just curious. Exactly what would an "anti poverty" bill say? Would it say "we don't like poverty"? What exactly would it say?

It would say "we will take more from productive, working people and give it to those who choose to eschew education and work in favor of handouts from a nanny state."

People who have nothing to live for, don't care if they live in a mess, don't care if they're fat, don't care about much in life.
It's what happens when God is not part of their lives.

No, it's not.

I don't have God in my life. And I'm not lacking in hope.

Yes, religion can be a good way to give people hope. However there are better ways, as even religious people can be lacking in hope.

Having people around you who you care about, a job and skills which give you a reason to feel worthy are so much better.
Go ask your mom what a generalization is.

That is just horrible....

Why after six years of Republican Congressional control, haven't they passed a single anti-poverty bill?

Don't Republicans care?

They have a flat screen TV that's much larger than mine and their house is in far better mechanical repair than mine. They look better fed than I do and their clothes look newer than pretty much any of mine.

But at least those people like the Trumps, born into money, have everything they could ever want x 100. Why should they feel obligated to share? I think this is why Trump doesn't want to share his tax returns. He's a landlord. He's been in his units. He sees how "the little people" live. His followers might not like the stark contrast revealed and the lack of charity....and the number of goods Trump sold jobs to China in order to sell and make a better profit off of..
Guess what? They don't make CRT TVs anymore....haven't made them in 10 years

I doubt if their standard of living is higher than yours, it is a conservative myth

No, and it should not be higher. they are living on welfare------------that WE are paying for. The point is that it is far beyond subsistence, and a generational lifestyle.

The old...."Poor people do not suffer enough"

Unless our poor suffer to the satisfaction of conservatives, they will not want to get out of poverty

That was exactly my point. I showed the African poverty, the real suffering for lack of either opportunity or assistance.
Poverty is not magically disappearing in Africa.
The African poverty is 100% caused by F'd up governments.

we should help those physically or mentally unable to help themselves, Help to able bodied people should be limited and temporary. Welfare recipient should not be a lifetime status for anyone able to work.

All of those things everyone agrees with. There is more of that "What things should not be" shit.

All of those things everyone agrees with. There is more of that "What things should not be" shit.

you say you agree, but earlier you were arguing in favor of more welfare for the perpetually "poor". which is it?

Forum List

Back