Pray for my Katy please.

Well apparently I missed some of the conversation at the vet/hospital.
The wife says they want to leave things alone and see if the anti seizure medication will control things so they can avoid the stress of surgery.
While grateful I hate the idea of there being a tumor and not trying to remove it,but then the stress of surgery could kill her.

It may be just a benign tumor. It might be growing a very slow rate, so the anti-seizure meds might be enough to control any untoward symptoms. :) Fingers crossed!

Thats my hope.
Boxers are usually good for ten years and she's there now.
But three of our four have beaten those odds one all the way to fourteen years. Here's to hoping.

Oh, after reading some sad dog poems, seeing the pictures of Katie, and seeing (reading) how much you love your baby . . . :crybaby:

I love Boxers too. They are so sweet and friendly and playful.

Keep your hopes up. Having a positive attitude will help her too, I really believe that. :thup:

Yeah...I'll admit I was crying while I held her through her seizure.
You feel so damn helpless.

My son had a grand mal seizure, so I know exactly what you mean.

God that must have been horrible!
A dog is bad enough but having your child go through it has to be staggering.

The wife says they want to leave things alone and see if the anti seizure medication will control things so they can avoid the stress of surgery.
While grateful I hate the idea of there being a tumor and not trying to remove it,but then the stress of surgery could kill her.

I'm not sure if I missed anything - do they know for SURE she has a brain tumor? A friend of mine has an elderly aussie who was exhibiting neurological deficits - they thought a brain tumor, she treated Dancer with steroids, and anti-seizure medication and it's been a year. She also did physical therapy to help with her proprioception because she was having coordination problems. She's has mini-seizures but all in all she's doing remarkedly well and they no longer think it's a brain tumour but some other neuro thing.

The thing is....it's hard to know, hard to predict. Boxers are sweet dogs, but their lifespan is sadly too short for their souls and cancer ranks high in the breed :(. Do what you can to make every day the fullest and bestest for her because you don't know how long she will have with you - and it may be long. When my dog of dogs, the one who left a hole in my heart that has yet to fill - was declining, a friend reminded me - I've already had 3 extra years I never thought to have (due to physical therapy keeping him mobile) - every day is a blessing and a gift. He owes me nothing. With Katie - every day is a blessing, and you are blessed to greet each morning with her lovely soul and silly smile. Enjoy it - and hug her and kiss her - she may surprise you yet :)

They feel confident it is a tumor based on the symptoms and she was to go get a CT/MRI tomorrow to confirm it.
I'm okay with letting it ride with the Keppra and keeping a eye on her since i'm with her pretty much all day everyday.
And yeah it takes a long time to get over the loss no doubt. Hell,I still miss my dogs from childhood and the three the wife and I've lost line our mantel in the form of ashes.
A day doesnt go by that I dont look up and remember them.

I hear you...it hurts....:(

One of my favorite quotes...

Fragile Circle
We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own,
live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan.

Irving Townsend, "The Once Again Prince," Separate Lifetime

Many hugs to you...words are inadequate :smiliehug:

It may be just a benign tumor. It might be growing a very slow rate, so the anti-seizure meds might be enough to control any untoward symptoms. :) Fingers crossed!

Thats my hope.
Boxers are usually good for ten years and she's there now.
But three of our four have beaten those odds one all the way to fourteen years. Here's to hoping.

Oh, after reading some sad dog poems, seeing the pictures of Katie, and seeing (reading) how much you love your baby . . . :crybaby:

I love Boxers too. They are so sweet and friendly and playful.

Keep your hopes up. Having a positive attitude will help her too, I really believe that. :thup:

Yeah...I'll admit I was crying while I held her through her seizure.
You feel so damn helpless.

My son had a grand mal seizure, so I know exactly what you mean.

I'm so sorry Chris - that is scary shit. :(

proxy

I'm not sure if I missed anything - do they know for SURE she has a brain tumor? A friend of mine has an elderly aussie who was exhibiting neurological deficits - they thought a brain tumor, she treated Dancer with steroids, and anti-seizure medication and it's been a year. She also did physical therapy to help with her proprioception because she was having coordination problems. She's has mini-seizures but all in all she's doing remarkedly well and they no longer think it's a brain tumour but some other neuro thing.

The thing is....it's hard to know, hard to predict. Boxers are sweet dogs, but their lifespan is sadly too short for their souls and cancer ranks high in the breed :(. Do what you can to make every day the fullest and bestest for her because you don't know how long she will have with you - and it may be long. When my dog of dogs, the one who left a hole in my heart that has yet to fill - was declining, a friend reminded me - I've already had 3 extra years I never thought to have (due to physical therapy keeping him mobile) - every day is a blessing and a gift. He owes me nothing. With Katie - every day is a blessing, and you are blessed to greet each morning with her lovely soul and silly smile. Enjoy it - and hug her and kiss her - she may surprise you yet :)

They feel confident it is a tumor based on the symptoms and she was to go get a CT/MRI tomorrow to confirm it.
I'm okay with letting it ride with the Keppra and keeping a eye on her since i'm with her pretty much all day everyday.
And yeah it takes a long time to get over the loss no doubt. Hell,I still miss my dogs from childhood and the three the wife and I've lost line our mantel in the form of ashes.

Fragile Circle
We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own,

Haven't heard that one but it certainly describes the spirit of Man and their pets perfectly.
I always tell myself if they lived forever I would never have had the chance to know the one's that followed.

Last edited:

Fragile Circle

Haven't heard that one but it certainly describes the spirit of Man and there pets perfectly.
I always tell myself if they lived forever I would never have had the chance to know the one's that followed.

So true...sometimes, what makes me sad is I am now 56...there are so many dogs (or breeds) I will NEVER know...but I am blessed. Every dog that has occupied space in my heart :)

Fragile Circle

Haven't heard that one but it certainly describes the spirit of Man and there pets perfectly.

So true...sometimes, what makes me sad is I am now 56...there are so many dogs (or breeds) I will NEVER know...but I am blessed. Every dog that has occupied space in my heart :)

Funny...the wife and I were discussing something very similar the other day.
I'll be 51 next month and realized the next set of buddies will probably be the last.
I cant bear the thought of dying and leaving my dogs without knowing their fate.
And the thought of them going to the pound is something I just cant imagine.

Fragile Circle

I'll be 51 next month and realized the next set of buddies will probably be the last.
I cant bear the thought of dying and leaving my dogs without knowing their fate.

Oh, 51 isn't that old! :) If that is very concerning for you, you could always take on an older rescue dog and give him/her a nice happy home.

I think of Gracie every day. Not one 24 hour period goes by without me thinking of her. Like Coyote, no dog has filled the hole in my heart for her..not even Karma although I love her very much. Gracie was my soul baby.

I will spare the details of HOW she was sent off to Rainbow Bridge. Suffice it to say...it was horror.

No more. When Karma goes...and hopefully it will be peaceful...I am done. No. More.

Fragile Circle

I now have 4 dogs...ranging from 4, 5, 8 and 13. I know I will have another puppy (planned from Cowboy's semen) within the next year...but I have to think what will happen with them if something happens to me? I can not imagine ever not having a pet - dog or cat, but I do need to prepare. My aunt is 84...she mourned the loss of her last dog but was also clearly lonely. I told her I'd back up what ever dog she got, so if something happened, she would not need to worry. She ended up adopting an older min pin whom she adores and who makes her life a bit more complete. The rescue backs her, and so will I - our pets help make our lives more full, and in return, we make their lives the best we can. :)

Fragile Circle

Exactly. Which is why I will never get another dog. Ever. Or a cat. Nope. I will get a damn gold fish.

I think of Gracie every day. Not one 24 hour period goes by without me thinking of her. Like Coyote, no dog has filled the hole in my heart for her..not even Karma although I love her very much. Gracie was my soul baby.

I will spare the details of HOW she was sent off to Rainbow Bridge. Suffice it to say...it was horror.

No more. When Karma goes...and hopefully it will be peaceful...I am done. No. More.

Please...don't say no more Gracie...your heart is big...

I still hurt so much from Cowboy's passing, but I'm beginning to think, a year later, that maybe there will be a puppy in my future (a Cowboy son)....I can not imagine llife without a furry four footed companion....

The odd thing though...is with Cowboy's passing, I actually questioned myself - could I go through this again? My heart still weighs heavy...it's still hard to think of adding another and going through it again. Odd, in all myu many years of having pets - this is the first I've felt it to be so so heavy. But I don't want to not have that companionship. So I'll fight saying "never again"...

Anyway...I am now getting uncomfortable posting about this. The last time I talked about it to find some peace, support and love from folks here, I was told to stfu and stop being such a downer and ruining everyone elses good time.
So I don't talk about Gracie any more. And I wish I could. So much to tell. So much I already told but could tell more that some folks never got to see. But I can't and I won't.
Nuff said.

Lots of prayers for you, hon. I may be silent, but I am still sending them.

Over and out.

Please...don't say no more Gracie...your heart is big...

I still hurt so much from Cowboy's passing, but I'm beginning to think, a year later, that maybe there will be a puppy in my future (a Cowboy son)....I can not imagine llife without a furry four footed companion....

The odd thing though...is with Cowboy's passing, I actually questioned myself - could I go through this again? My heart still weighs heavy...it's still hard to think of adding another and going through it again. Odd, in all myu many years of having pets - this is the first I've felt it to be so so heavy. But I don't want to not have that companionship. So I'll fight saying "never again"...
We were posting at the same time, Coyote. I can't do another dog. Can't. My heart is broken and will never mend. Gracie is gone.
And when I go...she will be waiting for me. I am here now because Karma needs me. I refuse to get ill or die, and she wind up at the pound. So here I stay.

Anyway....I just upset myself.

Here's to Katy! :beer:

Fragile Circle

Oh, 51 isn't that old! :) If that is very concerning for you, you could always take on an older rescue dog and give him/her a nice happy home.

Oh I'm not concerned about the next two stars in my life.
It's the ones that follow I'm worried about.

Anyway...I am now getting uncomfortable posting about this. The last time I talked about it to find some peace, support and love from folks here, I was told to stfu and stop being such a downer and ruining everyone elses good time.
So I don't talk about Gracie any more. And I wish I could. So much to tell. So much I already told but could tell more that some folks never got to see. But I can't and I won't.
Nuff said.

Lots of prayers for you, hon. I may be silent, but I am still sending them.

Over and out.

Awww. You should talk about her if it makes you feel better, Gracie. Maybe you could start a thread in the pets section.

Fragile Circle

I now have 4 dogs...ranging from 4, 5, 8 and 13. I know I will have another puppy (planned from Cowboy's semen) within the next year...but I have to think what will happen with them if something happens to me? I can not imagine ever not having a pet - dog or cat, but I do need to prepare. My aunt is 84...she mourned the loss of her last dog but was also clearly lonely. I told her I'd back up what ever dog she got, so if something happened, she would not need to worry. She ended up adopting an older min pin whom she adores and who makes her life a bit more complete. The rescue backs her, and so will I - our pets help make our lives more full, and in return, we make their lives the best we can. :)

Unfortunately the wife and I have no family members to take them in if we were to pass other than my Niece.
My Niece is still far too young to bring up those kind of things but considering she'll get everything we own when we go and she's a great kid she'd probably do it. I of course will have to see if she's a dedicated dog person first but I have a feeling she will be.
If it comes to it we'll set up a trust for em.

Forum List

Back