Pregnant Weight Lifter Stirs Debate

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
Most Americans are being told they are not exercising enough. Lea-Ann Ellison is being told she has taken her exercise routine too far.

The 35-year-old Ms. Ellison found herself on the receiving end of a firestorm of criticism after pictures of her doing a heavy weight-lifting routine two weeks before her due date appeared on Facebook. The photos quickly went viral, showing Ms. Ellison, a stay-at-home mother from California, doing kettlebell swings, pull-ups and Olympic-style barbell lifts like squats and overhead presses.

Ms. Ellison is a follower of CrossFit, the popular strength and conditioning program that uses grueling, high-intensity workouts. The caption on one of her photos reads in part:

8 months pregnant with baby number 3 and CrossFit has been my sanity. I have been CrossFitting for 2-and-a-half years and strongly believe that pregnancy is not an illness, but a time to relish in your body’s capabilities.

But there was also a barrage of criticism, with many people calling Ms. Ellison irresponsible and the photos “shocking.” One woman asked Ms. Ellison why she would risk “hurting your baby just to stay in shape.”

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/24/pregnant-weight-lifter-stirs-debate/?ref=health&_r=3

Well do you think she is hurting her baby?

She isn't hurting her fetus at all. Nothing she is doing will cause the fetus any harm. People need to shut up and let her make her own choices.

I am sure if it wasn't safe she wouldn't do it.

It's her third pregnancy.

Pregnant-Weightlifter-tmagArticle.jpg

There are other,less dangerous ways for her to keep herself in shape than lifting large weights. Yes her body is used to it but I can't imagine that there isn't some risk involved. She's Squating and then lifting a heavy weight which has to apply muscle pressure close to that of giving birth. I still think she's nuts.

There are other,less dangerous ways for her to keep herself in shape than lifting large weights. Yes her body is used to it but I can't imagine that there isn't some risk involved. She's Squating and then lifting a heavy weight which has to apply muscle pressure close to that of giving birth. I still think she's nuts.

I wonder what Doctors say about it.

:dunno:

I think she may secretly or subconsciously, not want her baby. When you want your baby, you take care not to do anything that could cause danger to it. Caring for yourself, is the most important step in taking care of your pregnancy. Even with a physician's permission, I would not do it, and I am a person who doesn't hesitate to take chances.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vox
Not a big deal. The woman is lifting just 75 pounds( 34 kg) rather than her normal approx 190 pounds(86 kg) and has been doing a weight lifting regimen for years. She is not the first and will not be the last to conduct herself in her normal lifestyle. I say more power(lifting) to her.

Most Americans are being told they are not exercising enough. Lea-Ann Ellison is being told she has taken her exercise routine too far.

The 35-year-old Ms. Ellison found herself on the receiving end of a firestorm of criticism after pictures of her doing a heavy weight-lifting routine two weeks before her due date appeared on Facebook. The photos quickly went viral, showing Ms. Ellison, a stay-at-home mother from California, doing kettlebell swings, pull-ups and Olympic-style barbell lifts like squats and overhead presses.

Ms. Ellison is a follower of CrossFit, the popular strength and conditioning program that uses grueling, high-intensity workouts. The caption on one of her photos reads in part:

8 months pregnant with baby number 3 and CrossFit has been my sanity. I have been CrossFitting for 2-and-a-half years and strongly believe that pregnancy is not an illness, but a time to relish in your body’s capabilities.

But there was also a barrage of criticism, with many people calling Ms. Ellison irresponsible and the photos “shocking.” One woman asked Ms. Ellison why she would risk “hurting your baby just to stay in shape.”

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/24/pregnant-weight-lifter-stirs-debate/?ref=health&_r=3

Well do you think she is hurting her baby?

of course she is. she is an idiot.

She isn't hurting her fetus at all. Nothing she is doing will cause the fetus any harm. People need to shut up and let her make her own choices.

can you be even a more retarded than you usually are?

apparently yes, you can.

this post is a proof. :cuckoo:

1240327_10151588607707676_598151352_n.jpg

Some of the advocates have said it strengthens muscles for labor and delivery.

I guess it just depends on who you talk to.

I would think you need spotters close by, the danger being dropping weights.

Once in 8th grade at the weightlifting competition this fellow and I were lifting for the #1 and #2 position. I had him beat easily with my squat thrust and as he was going down he could not get all the way back up and was about to buckle, then he ripped a huge fart and stood right up wining first place.

Some of the advocates have said it strengthens muscles for labor and delivery.

I guess it just depends on who you talk to.

I would think you need spotters close by, the danger being dropping weights.

It has nothing to do with MUSCLES.

But everything with vessels in the placenta and between the placenta and uterus.
Additional abdominal pressure and additional pressure in that circulation system may cause some of them disrupting and causing abraptio placentae - maybe not catastrophic but enough to cause relative hypoxia to the baby and her brain. Vessels in the placenta are fragile and the more close to the delivery date the riskier it gets. That is the reason a pregnant woman should not lift ANY heavy objects - even something she usually does and is able to - not even the other child.

Why would any SANE mother to be would risk hypoxia to the brain( and therefore risking the life-long impairment of the child) of her supposedly wanted baby just before delivery is beyond me :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back