🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Price of Electricity Hit Record High in U.S. in 2014

Do you want politicians to decide what fair is? who decides what is fair?
I believe consumers should decide what's fair via their buying power. But, in cases where there're business monopolies controlling necessities, I believe that the government should look into their business practices, and act accordingly. I do not believe in government control of business America, unless unfair advantage is directed towards the general public. Again, this only applies to monopolies where consumers have little or no choice. Also, my opinion only concerns commodities commonly considered as necessities.

Government intervention puts small companies out of business. Crony capitalism requires big powerful government to sustain it
But we're not talking about small businesses. We're talking about what could be called monopolies and those businesses that supply necessities. I have stated that I do NOT believe that government should dictate and control the business world.

There are plenty of small oil producers but it's harder for them to compete if they are forced to pay outrageous taxes and abide by unreasonable regulations.
That doesn't hold water. Businesses have been dealing with taxation and regulations since there were businesses. Nothing new. Taxes and regulations have been changing for a long time, a very long time. If taxation and regulations closed businesses, then there would be no businesses.
true story...

A client of mine had a very successful small manufacturing firm. He was renting for years and finally gathered enough money to purchase the building he occupied.
For over a year, he was prospering as the building owner/business owner. All was going well.
Then...a new regulation was implemented.....the width of his loading bay had to meet the new standards...it was 3 inches too narrow per the new regulation. He only used box trucks, but the regulation was standard regardless of the size trucks he used. He had more than enough clearance....even more than the new required width would offer a semi.....but the law was the law and he was told "no more use of bay until widened (after a certain date).
He put in for a permit to widen his loading bay...but NYC regulations would not allow a loading bay that wide on his property....as it would put the perimeter too close to a school...literally by a few inches.....albeit still 50+ yards from the school.
A year of legal fees, and no one would give.
He was forced to move from his building to continue to operate...and went over 3 years without income on the property as we were in a recession and no one was renting it.
He had a choice...keep his business and lose the property or visa versa.
The property is now in foreclosure.

the price of utilities is sure to come down. The Republican Congress will make sure that happens in the near future. Everyone write their Congressman and tell them to make it affordable for people to pay their bills ... then hold your damn breath and DIE before that ever happens.

stupid F'n RW's.

The EPA new regulations are what is increase the cost of electricity. Obama's plan at work sticking it to the "middle class" again :mad:

Obama's plan huh?

tell ya what Goober, name one piece of legislation Obama signed into law regarding utility prices without said law making it through both houses of congress, and I won't call you stupid any more ..

I'll wait, stupid.
EPA regulations don't go through congress genius

exactly.

Stupid.

No it isn't, it may be your own personal definition but not necessarily accurate for everyone
And your definition is ????

As Milton Friedman said I'm not greedy "it's only fellow who's greedy" greed is relative, it dependents, is capitalism based on greed? is a desire for personal success greedy?
Personal success has absolutely zero to do with GREED. One can succeed without imposing GREED. GREED is not a requirement for success.
Who decides who is greedy ?..You?
I believe both of you are on the same page with the exception of the definition of the word greedy.

Jroc...is price gouging considered greedy in your book? Or do you see it as a business owner capitalizing on circumstances?
Competition eliminates "price gouging" Crony capitalism, eliminates competition. Big, powerful, government with crony politicians are the problem

Do you want politicians to decide what fair is? who decides what is fair?
I believe consumers should decide what's fair via their buying power. But, in cases where there're business monopolies controlling necessities, I believe that the government should look into their business practices, and act accordingly. I do not believe in government control of business America, unless unfair advantage is directed towards the general public. Again, this only applies to monopolies where consumers have little or no choice. Also, my opinion only concerns commodities commonly considered as necessities.

Government intervention puts small companies out of business. Crony capitalism requires big powerful government to sustain it
But we're not talking about small businesses. We're talking about what could be called monopolies and those businesses that supply necessities. I have stated that I do NOT believe that government should dictate and control the business world.

There are plenty of small oil producers but it's harder for them to compete if they are forced to pay outrageous taxes and abide by unreasonable regulations.
That doesn't hold water. Businesses have been dealing with taxation and regulations since there were businesses. Nothing new. Taxes and regulations have been changing for a long time, a very long time. If taxation and regulations closed businesses, then there would be no businesses.
more and more is a good thing in your mind?

true story...

A client of mine had a very successful small manufacturing firm. He was renting for years and finally gathered enough money to purchase the building he occupied.
For over a year, he was prospering as the building owner/business owner. All was going well.
Then...a new regulation was implemented.....the width of his loading bay had to meet the new standards...it was 3 inches too narrow per the new regulation. He only used box trucks, but the regulation was standard regardless of the size trucks he used. He had more than enough clearance....even more than the new required width would offer a semi.....but the law was the law and he was told "no more use of bay until widened (after a certain date).
He put in for a permit to widen his loading bay...but NYC regulations would not allow a loading bay that wide on his property....as it would put the perimeter too close to a school...literally by a few inches.....albeit still 50+ yards from the school.
A year of legal fees, and no one would give.
He was forced to move from his building to continue to operate...and went over 3 years without income on the property as we were in a recession and no one was renting it.
He had a choice...keep his business and lose the property or visa versa.
The property is now in foreclosure.
Yes, unfortunate things happen. Yes, some regulations are ridiculous, to say the least. Some people in a Florida community can't fly the American flag in their front yards. South Carolina wanted to, and I believe they did, ban or restrict the displaying of the rebel flag because it was offensive to some residents. There are many stories of what one could reasonably deem to be ridiculous and unnecessary rules and regulations. Yes, at times, they do cause personal and financial damage. A good example would be the ACLU's constant fight to protect the rights of one individual at the expense of everyone else. Very little is fair and just when attempting to please over 300 million people at one time. We roll with the punches, do the best we can, and look for a better tomorrow. We all see injustices, wrongs made to look right, and ridiculous rules and regulations imposed on us. Our power is limited by the division of the people. A united citizenry can accomplish anything, and turn wrongs into rights. We are controlled, therefore submissive and oppressed.

Obama sticking it to the American people again, as he forces coal fired power plants out of buisness:mad:

ANNUAL%20ELECTRICITY%20PRICE%20INDEX-2013-2014-PHOTO.jpg

Data released today by the BLS indicates that the electricity price indexes hit all-time highs for the month of December and for the year. 2014 was the most-expensive year ever for electricity in the United States

Price of Electricity Hit Record High in U.S. in 2014 CNS News
Did you notice that the hack partisan CNS News didn't link to the source (BLS) of their information?

Do you think that might be because they are being selective in what information they tell you? Naaaaahh! Not CNS News! They would never do that!

The energy index continued to decline, falling 4.7 percent in December after a 3.8 percent decrease in November. This was its sixth decline in a row, and the index has fallen 13.3 percent over the six month span. The gasoline index fell 9.4 percent in December and has declined 22.4 percent since June. (Before seasonal adjustment, gasoline prices fell 11.1 percent in December.) The fuel oil index also continued to decline, falling 7.8 percent, its largest decline since June 2012. However, the index for natural gas turned up in December, rising 1.5 percent after falling in October and November. The electricity index also increased in December, rising 0.8 percent.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf

I also can't help but notice the chart going back to 1913 does not say if it is adjusted for inflation.

the price of utilities is sure to come down. The Republican Congress will make sure that happens in the near future. Everyone write their Congressman and tell them to make it affordable for people to pay their bills ... then hold your damn breath and DIE before that ever happens.

stupid F'n RW's.

The EPA new regulations are what is increase the cost of electricity. Obama's plan at work sticking it to the "middle class" again :mad:

Obama's plan huh?

tell ya what Goober, name one piece of legislation Obama signed into law regarding utility prices without said law making it through both houses of congress, and I won't call you stupid any more ..

I'll wait, stupid.
EPA regulations don't go through congress genius

exactly.

Stupid.
Obama's EPA...:thup: watch your methane you're contributing to "global warming":uhoh3:

And your definition is ????

As Milton Friedman said I'm not greedy "it's only fellow who's greedy" greed is relative, it dependents, is capitalism based on greed? is a desire for personal success greedy?
Personal success has absolutely zero to do with GREED. One can succeed without imposing GREED. GREED is not a requirement for success.
Who decides who is greedy ?..You?
I believe both of you are on the same page with the exception of the definition of the word greedy.

Jroc...is price gouging considered greedy in your book? Or do you see it as a business owner capitalizing on circumstances?
Competition eliminates "price gouging" Crony capitalism, eliminates competition. Big, powerful, government with crony politicians are the problem
Yes, our corrupt government is the problem in 99% of our socioeconomic woes. So, to solve the problem, never ever vote for a professional politicians.

more and more is a good thing in your mind?
No, it's NOT the quantity. The important thing is the quality and justice behind them. It's a matter of fairness and equality. Also, it's the intent and NOT the favoritism or corruption behind rules and regulations. The same with taxation. The number of them is unimportant, their fairness and effectiveness is the key.

Top Picks Most Requested Statistics U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

You can go to that BLS page and check the price of several commodities going back to about 1978.

Here is the chart for electricity:

mj1g5v.jpg

Now, even in the CNS News chart, you can see the Bush years had a much, much higher rate of increase. And if you look at the chart I just provided, you can see from January 2001 to January 2009, there was a 43 percent increase in electricity rates.

43 percent!

Between January 2009 and December 2014, there has been a...(drum roll)...7 percent increase.

Bush: 43 percent increase in electricity rates.

Obama: 7 percent increase in electricity rates.

I have warned you rubes over and over that you best be prepared to have your own yardsticks used against you going forward and retroactively.

Another horrible thread fail.

Under President A, the cost of a widget goes from $0.88 to $3.00.

Under his successor, President B, the cost of a widget rises from $3.00 to $3.11.

A partisan hack media outlet then screams PRESIDENT B HAS HIGHEST WIDGET COST EVAH!!!!

See how that works?

That's what this topic is. Same old tired partisan bullshit.

You can go to that BLS page and check the price of several commodities going back to about 1978.

mj1g5v.jpg

Now, even in the CNS News chart, you can see the Bush years had a much, much higher rate of increase. And if you look at the chart I just provided, you can see from January 2001 to January 2009, there was a 43 percent increase in electricity rates.

43 percent!

Between January 2009 and December 2014, there has been a...(drum roll)...7 percent increase.
By the same token, in 1965 bread was 5 loaves for a dollar, in 1957 gasoline at the pump was $.19 a gallon. In 1982, I drove from Alabama to Arizona ( 1,800 miles ) on less than $40.00 of gasoline in a 1967 Impala. In 1966, I bought a 1964 Chevy for $1,499.00 in showroom condition off a car lot. Times change, prices change, living cost changes, wages change, and the cost of a tee shirt changes. Markets are progressive, as is almost everything else.

mj1g5v.jpg

43 percent!

By the same token, in 1965 bread was 5 loaves for a dollar, in 1957 gasoline at the pump was $.19 a gallon. In 1982, I drove from Alabama to Arizona ( 1,800 miles ) on less than $40.00 of gasoline in a 1967 Impala. In 1966, I bought a 1964 Chevy for $1,499.00 in showroom condition off a car lot. Times change, prices change, living cost changes, wages change, and the cost of a tee shirt changes. Markets are progressive, as is almost everything else.
Partisan hacks prefer to look at a snapshot picture in a vacuum. It makes it easier to fashion a one-off yardstick they dare not use to measure their own team.

mj1g5v.jpg

43 percent!

Partisan hacks prefer to look at a snapshot picture in a vacuum. It makes it easier to fashion a one-off yardstick they dare not use to measure their own team.
Rarely will you find someone that looks at the big picture.

mj1g5v.jpg

43 percent!

IMO you're wasting your time. These idiots want to be idiots, and nothing will ever change that. EVER.

mj1g5v.jpg

43 percent!

George Bush grow the government and spent more money than any president other than Obama. For some reason you idiots think all conservatives are all pro Bush. that's certainly not the case. Lots of Republicans have certainly fallen for the global warming scam

Obama sticking it to the American people again, as he forces coal fired power plants out of buisness:mad:

ANNUAL%20ELECTRICITY%20PRICE%20INDEX-2013-2014-PHOTO.jpg

Data released today by the BLS indicates that the electricity price indexes hit all-time highs for the month of December and for the year. 2014 was the most-expensive year ever for electricity in the United States

Price of Electricity Hit Record High in U.S. in 2014 CNS News
Yep, all utilities are more expensive. And, you can add food, rent, and health care to the list as well. The cost of living continues to rise, and pay checks can't keep pace. But, we are paying less for gasoline, which is a huge blessing.

Agree with everything except for the fuel "blessing." The price of fuel has been forced down by OPEC to keep America from drilling offshore or building the Keystone Pipeline. We need to become less dependent on OPEC and we need to put Americans to work in good paying jobs. So ... it's a "blessing" in some respects but in the long run ... Americans are getting screwed when we look at the bigger picture.
OPec is doing what its doing because of shale drilling. Not the keystone pipeline.....What a moronic thing to think
They let you out for good behaivor? get back on the mop Joe Dirt

Forum List

Back