Prohibiting hair styles is now racist in New York. Fine up to 250K

The way this law is wtitten it seems that discrimination in personal relationships is also prohibited.

As a man in his 60's who currently has a pony tail almost to my ass, I kind of like the freedoms guaranteed to me by The Constitution being enforced by somebody.

Kudos! :thup:
Don't take a job in a machine shop. :eek:

At least not without addressing ALL safety issues!

Ain't technology, intelligence, education and the willingness to use them cool? :coffee:

`

As a man in his 60's who currently has a pony tail almost to my ass, I kind of like the freedoms guaranteed to me by The Constitution being enforced by somebody.

I get your sentiment.

But, what about the business owner's freedom?

Personally, I think that small businesses, where the owner is on-site, should be able to tell me, and any other applicants of either sex, to cut our hair or find alternate employment.... but corporations can fuck off as long as we meet all federal and state regulations for safety.

Government is a tool. Monkey Business is the problem.

Don't get in a bar fight....I never understood why guys would grow a handle on their head for somebody to grab ahold of...a good yank and you're at their mercy....I've seen it happen more than once.

Trust me... If ever I find myself in a bar, or any other physical fight, I will not have started it, and I'll be carrying the tools and skills required to end it.

Under new guidelines to be released this week by the New York City Commission on Human Rights, the targeting of people based on their hair or hairstyle, at work, school or in public spaces, will now be considered racial discrimination.

The change in law applies to anyone in New York City but is aimed at remedying the disparate treatment of black people; the guidelines specifically mention the right of New Yorkers to maintain their “natural hair, treated or untreated hairstyles such as locs, cornrows, twists, braids, Bantu knots, fades, Afros, and/or the right to keep hair in an uncut or untrimmed state.”

In practice, the guidelines give legal recourse to individuals who have been harassed, threatened, punished, demoted or fired because of the texture or style of their hair. The city commission can levy penalties up to $250,000 on defendants that are found in violation of the guidelines and there is no cap on damages. The commission can also force internal policy changes and rehirings at offending institutions.

The move was prompted in part by investigations after complaints from workers at two Bronx businesses — a medical facility in Morris Park and a nonprofit in Morrisania — as well as workers at an Upper East Side hair salon and a restaurant in the Howard Beach section of Queens. (The new guidelines do not interfere with health and safety reasons for wearing hair up or in a net, as long as the rules apply to everyone.)

New York City to Ban Discrimination Based on Hair

As a white lad in the 70's, I wore my hair longer. However it did present problems when being interviewed for a job. I was told straight out at some places of employment that if hired, I had to cut my hair. In private Catholic school, if your hair touched the top of your ears, you were sent home with a note to your parents you were suspended until you got your hair cut.

Whether for safety (working with machinery) health or simply appearance, employers and schools had the right to have standards on acceptable hair styles. I was alway told with jobs working with the public, the employee customers see represents the entire company.

So now in NY, that's entirely out the window, especially for minorities. If you don't want your cable television salesperson looking like a Jamaican refugee when he goes door to door, you can be fined 250K for not hiring that person. If you are hiring a receptionist for your corporation, you must hire the girl with half her purple hair down her back and the other half shaved like a marine.

Okay, so it's New York, it's their problem? Is it? This is what all of America can look like if we don't keep people like this from running our entire country.
They are trying to let children to go to school dress up like drag queens. And if they want to sit on the student's or teacher's laps and squirm around on it. That the students or teachers cannot push them off of them. They must let the drag queen child finish performing on them.

Under new guidelines to be released this week by the New York City Commission on Human Rights, the targeting of people based on their hair or hairstyle, at work, school or in public spaces, will now be considered racial discrimination.

The change in law applies to anyone in New York City but is aimed at remedying the disparate treatment of black people; the guidelines specifically mention the right of New Yorkers to maintain their “natural hair, treated or untreated hairstyles such as locs, cornrows, twists, braids, Bantu knots, fades, Afros, and/or the right to keep hair in an uncut or untrimmed state.”

In practice, the guidelines give legal recourse to individuals who have been harassed, threatened, punished, demoted or fired because of the texture or style of their hair. The city commission can levy penalties up to $250,000 on defendants that are found in violation of the guidelines and there is no cap on damages. The commission can also force internal policy changes and rehirings at offending institutions.

The move was prompted in part by investigations after complaints from workers at two Bronx businesses — a medical facility in Morris Park and a nonprofit in Morrisania — as well as workers at an Upper East Side hair salon and a restaurant in the Howard Beach section of Queens. (The new guidelines do not interfere with health and safety reasons for wearing hair up or in a net, as long as the rules apply to everyone.)

As a white lad in the 70's, I wore my hair longer. However it did present problems when being interviewed for a job. I was told straight out at some places of employment that if hired, I had to cut my hair. In private Catholic school, if your hair touched the top of your ears, you were sent home with a note to your parents you were suspended until you got your hair cut.

Whether for safety (working with machinery) health or simply appearance, employers and schools had the right to have standards on acceptable hair styles. I was alway told with jobs working with the public, the employee customers see represents the entire company.

So now in NY, that's entirely out the window, especially for minorities. If you don't want your cable television salesperson looking like a Jamaican refugee when he goes door to door, you can be fined 250K for not hiring that person. If you are hiring a receptionist for your corporation, you must hire the girl with half her purple hair down her back and the other half shaved like a marine.

Okay, so it's New York, it's their problem? Is it? This is what all of America can look like if we don't keep people like this from running our entire country.
They are trying to let children to go to school dress up like drag queens. And if they want to sit on the student's or teacher's laps and squirm around on it. That the students or teachers cannot push them off of them. They must let the drag queen child finish performing on them.

I didn't have time to look into it yet, but a local talk show host was telling a story of a 9 year old boy who is going to some bars and performing in drag. They don't pay him so it's not illegal according to the conversation he had with a former state Senator; he works for tips. He does these shows at the bars after hours and has his mothers blessing since she is some sort of dancer herself. All I know is that it was a story was reported in Toledo Ohio. I'll have to dig it up when I get home if somebody else doesn't first.

Last edited:

Don't get in a bar fight....I never understood why guys would grow a handle on their head for somebody to grab ahold of...a good yank and you're at their mercy....I've seen it happen more than once.

When people decide to wear their hair like that, I'm sure it's the last thing they thought of.

So, now New York will have the government telling businesses they can't tell their receptionist that a 15-inch pink mohawk is unacceptable?

Glorious.

No they can't apparently. But I'm sure the city will make an exception for somebody with MAGA shaved into their head.

So when the gays fight for the to right to wear assless chaps to work they have something to hope for? God bless the lowest
Common denominator! We shall be the first to break that ribbon at the finish line of bottomsville!

Jo

Poor souls have no choice but to wear their hair a certain way. They are victims. Someone made them do it.

You can't make this shit up.

The decay continues.

I fear you have statism and the constitution confused

I hope you don't work around rotating assemblies with that thing.

Trust me... If ever I find myself in a bar, or any other physical fight, I will not have started it, and I'll be carrying the tools and skills required to end it.

Uh huh....well, kinda hard to use tools and skills (unless you carry a knife and are willing to stab your attacker in the nuts....what I'd do if I was in your fix) when some galoot has ahold of that ponytail, you can't raise your head above your waist, and are catching fists in the back of the head and knees to the face. I don't know what significance your ponytail has to you (going bald in front maybe?) but it can have serious consequences if somebody or something (like a revolving door or machine) catches hold of it....hell, you could catch it in a truck engine cooling fan blade (broken neck) or get dragged into wood chipper.....:eusa_doh:

Last edited:
Maybe I'm nuts, but if I go into a bank or a stock brokerage or a Cadillac dealership, it doesn't give me confidence if the man is wearing a haircut like Mr. T. But,that's just me.

Uh huh....well, kinda hard to use tools and skills (unless you carry a knife and are willing to stab your attacker in the nuts....what I'd do if I was in your fix) when some galoot has ahold of that ponytail, you can't raise your head above your waist, and are catching fists in the back of the head and knees to the face. I don't know what significance your ponytail has to you (going bald in front maybe?) but it can have serious consequences if somebody or something (like a revolving door or machine) catches hold of it....hell, you could catch it in a truck engine cooling fan blade (broken neck) or get dragged into wood chipper.....:eusa_doh:

That may be possible, but if you have training and somebody grabs your ponytail, you can still get the best of them.

Forum List

Back