Pros and Cons of Electric Vehicles

Today, most buildings can't get a permit to build without a parking plan. And new garages or parking lots can't get approved without EV charging stations.
So they just are being built with the least expensive possible compliance.

Just like most new buildings have to have some sort of solar powered green lighting and Leeds certifications to get approved. Electricity is limited by the square footage which also limits air handling. Bathroom sizes and occupancy capacity are mandated too.

All of these limiting factors get done to meet codes...not functionality beyond 12 months.
One of the problems with codes that are not germane to the specific task. It never works out the way that is intended.

These were not done to meet code though - you can tell they were not part of the original construction. The building and business was not new.

I think this was just a case of thinking that they would be a good investment and then finding out they were simply not.

Rivian set to have an IPO. I think they have overestimated their net worth, but Uncle Jeff will keep the lights on for years to come.

The founder of Rivian is an interesting guy.
View attachment 531900

RJ Scaringe, 38, founded the company in his home state of Florida in 2009, not long after completing his Ph.D. in mechanical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Originally named Avera Motors, Scaringe rebranded his firm as Rivian Automotive in 2011. The name pays homage, in part, to the Indian River Lagoon near Scaringe's hometown of Melbourne, Fla., he wrote.

The Florida native first dreamed of starting his own car company when he was in high school, Forbes reported.

He studied for his doctorate at MIT's Sloan Automotive Lab. While there, Forbes reported, he grew disillusioned with the idea of building another gas-powered car.

During a 2020 interview with the Lean Enterprise Institute, Scaringe said civilization's addiction to fossil fuels has reached at "an inflection point."

"The fossil fuels we use today were built up over the course of approximately 300 million years. We've used about half of that in 100 years. So, it's not a debate as to whether we have to switch off our dependence on fossil fuels," he said.

"The other wrinkle in this is the impacts of burning fossil fuels. The longer we wait to make a transition, the greater the damage to the planet and air quality. Essentially, what we're doing is taking carbon that was buried in the earth and moving it into the atmosphere. ... We see a huge urgency to solve that, and solving that is not an easy problem."

At Rivian, Scaringe said, "we're building something that is meaningful. We're making something that matters for our kids' kids' kids."

I have to wonder where he pulls the 'we have used about half of that in 100 years.'

Or that oil was built up over the course of 300 million years. Seems to be just pulling random shit out of his ass.

I have to wonder where he pulls the 'we have used about half of that in 100 years.'

Or that oil was built up over the course of 300 million years. Seems to be just pulling random shit out of his ass.

Carbon and hydrogen form hydrocarbon fuels...both are extremely abundant in nature but not necessarily together.
Geologists know that oil and natural gas deposits exist in the ground in specific conditions ...whether organic material from thousands of years past was instrumental in creating it or not we can only hazard a guess. We have noticed yellow coal formations as a result of hot ash, flooding, and forest wood accumulations...(Mt St. Helen) So the possibility of petroleum products being a renewable resource is likely. The feasibility is somewhat low however...and chemists would understand the process more than I.

The real issues with petroleum products is that we need the oil to be cheap... cheap oil means inexpensive products and inexpensive energy. Efficient energy usage is even better because then the cost of energy to produce is even lower.

For electric cars to ever be visible they need to be cheaper than ICE cars especially with energy consumption...not more expensive.

Where plugging in for 8 hours seems cheaper...it has an effect on the electric bill. Then the repairs and maintenance of an electric car has to be weighed against an ICE car. 200,000 miles for an ICE is SOP before an engine replacement is normal...some go much longer on average...some not as far.

Carbon and hydrogen form hydrocarbon fuels...both are extremely abundant in nature but not necessarily together.
Geologists know that oil and natural gas deposits exist in the ground in specific conditions ...whether organic material from thousands of years past was instrumental in creating it or not we can only hazard a guess. We have noticed yellow coal formations as a result of hot ash, flooding, and forest wood accumulations...(Mt St. Helen) So the possibility of petroleum products being a renewable resource is likely. The feasibility is somewhat low however...and chemists would understand the process more than I.

The real issues with petroleum products is that we need the oil to be cheap... cheap oil means inexpensive products and inexpensive energy. Efficient energy usage is even better because then the cost of energy to produce is even lower.

For electric cars to ever be visible they need to be cheaper than ICE cars especially with energy consumption...not more expensive.

Where plugging in for 8 hours seems cheaper...it has an effect on the electric bill. Then the repairs and maintenance of an electric car has to be weighed against an ICE car. 200,000 miles for an ICE is SOP before an engine replacement is normal...some go much longer on average...some not as far.
Considering the maintenance costs, operating electric cars is cheaper than a an ICE. It is just not feasible for most drivers and the up front costs are currently high.

Considering the maintenance costs, operating electric cars is cheaper than a an ICE. It is just not feasible for most drivers and the up front costs are currently high.
Those liOn batteries are not cheap... replacement of those is like changing a motor...but they aren't a motor.

I don't think that you will get 200,000 miles and 10 years out of those batteries.

Don't worry dinosaurs, you'll be dead and gone, maybe even me too, before EV's are what most people are driving. But with fast charge times and long life batteries a near certainty, and no costly maintenance, EV's will, by consumer choice, be the most widely owned cars. Like I said earlier, when 4K big screen TV's first came out, few would spend that kind of money on one. Now everyone has one, cause they are affordable.
How are people who live in apartments going to charge their cars?

The ultimate argument against buying an electric car is because like the Covid vaccine, the government is MANDATING you buy one! Remember when the CD came out? They took LPs off the shelves so that you HAD to buy CDs! They did not let free market forces decide, and two decades later the LP came back because it SOUNDS BETTER.

Same with the electric car. If they were so great, you wouldn't need the government FORCING YOU to buy one, you'd want one on your own. And history shows that the government never mandates or forces change that is EVER in the interest of the citizen or consumer.

I'm loving this review!

:WooHooSmileyWave-vi:

I'm glad you like it...
But it sounds extremely complicated to drive and it still has the issues of charging stations.
Us knuckle draggers don't want to take 30 minutes of configuring the thing to what route and road conditions we will encounter to arrive at our destination every time we sit in the driver's seat. We just want to rush to work, then the grocery store for two items and then go home.

I'm glad you like it...
But it sounds extremely complicated to drive and it still has the issues of charging stations.
Us knuckle draggers don't want to take 30 minutes of configuring the thing to what route and road conditions we will encounter to arrive at our destination every time we sit in the driver's seat. We just want to rush to work, then the grocery store for two items and then go home.

Yea, a lot of people don't like new technology, this truck will never appeal to them. But there is a market for people who like fast, aggressive trucks with all the latest technology this truck has.

Yea, a lot of people don't like new technology, this truck will never appeal to them. But there is a market for people who like fast, aggressive trucks with all the latest technology this truck has.

I used to own a mid sized truck (Dodge Dakota) and where I enjoyed it...it was annoying for when I needed to tow boats or trailers...it just didn't have enough to it to do it well...
Now that I drive a full sized truck....it does these things much better and the mileage I get is roughly the same as the mid size used to.

So...I really don't mind the electric tech....but the whole battery-charging thing and complicated controls kill it for me. The size is just another reason I'm not a fan.

I want a truck as a work truck...it's going to be beat on and used like a borrowed mule. It's not for "looking pretty". It's for hauling tools, equipment and materials to a job site.

Forum List

Back