Pros and Cons of Electric Vehicles

No one cares. They aren't being vandalized unless it's a mentally ill person. Your constant whining about EV bigotry is a fucking lie.

If you want an EV, go for it. Some of them are nice cars. I personally love the hybrid super cars, you get all the bang of a high performance engine, with the electric driven front wheel drive for less overall weight, and you don't have the mechanical linkages to fail.

Win, win.

Unlike you propagandists, real gear heads have no problem with EV's we simply don't care. We demand performance. We demand efficiency. When EV's are capable of delivering what we want we will buy them.

What we don't want, are moronic twats, who don't know how to drive, trying to force us into cars that don't give us what we want.
I know that "drive by wire" systems are going to require more work and technology development before they become reliable and affordable. The access to higher powered processing and more efficient electric motors are going to have to become inexpensive.

Also either fuel cell or more powerful per ounce batteries must be developed for EVs to begin to be popular.... government subsidies, tax incentives, or penalties simply will not work long term. (Like the politicians pretend)

Automobiles actually started with batteries...then developed into the ICE we have today. (They didn't have pneumatic tires either and were horrible)

I don't care how much hype and propaganda... people go with back pocket decisions. IE biggest bang for their buck.

If the price drops I’ll probably get one however, the environmental damage caused by lithium mines will need to be addressed.

Don't forget all of the other rare earth's that have be mined as well. And, ALL of the mining associated with EV's is strip mining.

ALL OF IT.

Oh the environmental damage of all those rare earth metals happens in PRC China.

Yeah, these progressive snobs seem to have no problem poisoning brown people, do they.

An electrician friend of mine just laughed his ass off at this post. He says that is an outright recipe for disaster, and no insurance company would go near a set up like that.
The REAL solution to all of this baring any great leap in technology is for generating stations to collect electricity direct from the air much as thunderstorms do, then build roads with a negative electric supply in them with the car grounding somewhere to complete the circuit along with a minor internal storage carried for short distances "off the grid" such as going from the street up your driveway into your garage or through a store parking lot, etc.

Relieved of having to carry the massive weight of expensive, perishable batteries, the EV suddenly transforms itself into a formidable transportation cutting its weight in half, reducing the size of the motors needed, greatly reducing cost while further ramping up speed, acceleration and efficiency, as well as eliminating the massive environmental impact of having to make and sustain 600 million 500 pound batteries.

"Drive by wire" is a system of each wheel having its own electric motor driving it...it is more efficient than a single 3horse electric motor driving a car...but horribly more expensive. The processing necessary to drive these motors is extremely high with tons of various sensor inputs. And even still....the technology for these type of motors is still in its infancy...more development is needed.

The REAL solution to all of this baring any great leap in technology is for generating stations to collect electricity direct from the air much as thunderstorms do, then build roads with a negative electric supply in them with the car grounding somewhere to complete the circuit along with a minor internal storage carried for short distances "off the grid" such as going from the street up your driveway into your garage or through a store parking lot, etc.

Relieved of having to carry the massive weight of expensive, perishable batteries, the EV suddenly transforms itself into a formidable transportation cutting its weight in half, reducing the size of the motors needed, greatly reducing cost while further ramping up speed, acceleration and efficiency, as well as eliminating the massive environmental impact of having to make and sustain 600 million 500 pound batteries.
So anyone walking down the street or riding a bicycle can carry an electric charge?

That's going to kill man and beast alike.

I know that "drive by wire" systems are going to require more work and technology development before they become reliable and affordable. The access to higher powered processing and more efficient electric motors are going to have to become inexpensive.

Also either fuel cell or more powerful per ounce batteries must be developed for EVs to begin to be popular.... government subsidies, tax incentives, or penalties simply will not work long term. (Like the politicians pretend)

Automobiles actually started with batteries...then developed into the ICE we have today. (They didn't have pneumatic tires either and were horrible)

I don't care how much hype and propaganda... people go with back pocket decisions. IE biggest bang for their buck.

Yup, EV's were outselling ICE powered cars until 1913 or there abouts. Then, EV technology advanced exponentially faster than EV tech, and left them in the dust.

Even better would be a broadcast energy system, like Tesla himself envisioned, then, all an EV would need is an antenna.

Even better would be a broadcast energy system, like Tesla himself envisioned, then, all an EV would need is an antenna.
Speaking for myself...
I prefer it when electricity is confined to the wires myself...when it jumps out we usually refer that to arc flash (causing horrible burns and destruction) or lightning.

Electricity is the movement of (electron flow) electrons from the most negative to the most positive.

Without that magnetic attraction it simply doesn't work no matter what frequency it is pulsed at.

Speaking for myself...
I prefer it when electricity is confined to the wires myself...when it jumps out we usually refer that to arc flash (causing horrible burns and destruction) or lightning.

Electricity is the movement of (electron flow) electrons from the most negative to the most positive.

Without that magnetic attraction it simply doesn't work no matter what frequency it is pulsed at.

I know what it is. Tesla was working on a system akin to radio waves. Those are passing through us, all of the time. Just think of how nice it would be if you could replace those hundreds of millions of miles of wire, with a simple antenna.

Volts x Amps is equal to work...

Voltage is like the pressure of water inside of a tube...
Amps is the amount of water travelling through a slice of the tube at any given moment.

If someone is capable of rewriting the formula for P=IE....I'm all for it.

But it's been around for a long time now. Kinda a standard formula.

I know what it is. Tesla was working on a system akin to radio waves. Those are passing through us, all of the time. Just think of how nice it would be if you could replace those hundreds of millions of miles of wire, with a simple antenna.
Tesla was mostly focused on frequencies for the bulk of his experiments...of which electricity was one medium.
He also worked with waves as part of his experiments...
Meaning that with the right frequency of waves I can take a simple and cheap $10 battery drill and destroy the Golden Gate Bridge with it. All a matter of causing the exact rhythm that creates the correct frequency that becomes stored and multiplies. (Resonant frequency)
He almost destroyed the building he was renting a room in... until he decided that he needed a place to live more than the result of his experiment.
Radio waves are electrical waves at frequency going through the air. Cell phones are at the upper bandwidth of frequencies that will attach themselves to anything metal....which is why they used to ban them from most sound booths (before they started shielding all sound equipment)

Tesla was mostly focused on frequencies for the bulk of his experiments...of which electricity was one medium.
He also worked with waves as part of his experiments...
Meaning that with the right frequency of waves I can take a simple and cheap $10 battery drill and destroy the Golden Gate Bridge with it. All a matter of causing the exact rhythm that creates the correct frequency that becomes stored and multiplies. (Resonant frequency)
He almost destroyed the building he was renting a room in... until he decided that he needed a place to live more than the result of his experiment.
Radio waves are electrical waves at frequency going through the air. Cell phones are at the upper bandwidth of frequencies that will attach themselves to anything metal....which is why they used to ban them from most sound booths (before they started shielding all sound equipment)

Yeah, I understand frequencies. I work on radios all of the time. The frequency IS the wave.

I own an electric car and it has never been vandalized nor have I heard of other electric car owners having vehicles vandalized.
The comment was not on cars - it was directed at my comment that most EV charging stations I have encountered are broken. It is a testament to the long term viability of electric cars as they are envisioned today.

Of course, they were not vandalized but proved so inefficient that the business owners let the tens of thousands in investment degrade to trash. Speculation on vandalism was just the OP's knee jerk reaction to blame everything on anti-ev 'bigotry,' an asinine concept in the least.

The comment was not on cars - it was directed at my comment that most EV charging stations I have encountered are broken. It is a testament to the long term viability of electric cars as they are envisioned today.

Of course, they were not vandalized but proved so inefficient that the business owners let the tens of thousands in investment degrade to trash. Speculation on vandalism was just the OP's knee jerk reaction to blame everything on anti-ev 'bigotry,' an asinine concept in the least.
Today, most buildings can't get a permit to build without a parking plan. And new garages or parking lots can't get approved without EV charging stations.
So they just are being built with the least expensive possible compliance.

Just like most new buildings have to have some sort of solar powered green lighting and Leeds certifications to get approved. Electricity is limited by the square footage which also limits air handling. Bathroom sizes and occupancy capacity are mandated too.

All of these limiting factors get done to meet codes...not functionality beyond 12 months.

Rivian set to have an IPO. I think they have overestimated their net worth, but Uncle Jeff will keep the lights on for years to come.

The founder of Rivian is an interesting guy.
6109e84018ef8.image.jpg

RJ Scaringe, 38, founded the company in his home state of Florida in 2009, not long after completing his Ph.D. in mechanical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Originally named Avera Motors, Scaringe rebranded his firm as Rivian Automotive in 2011. The name pays homage, in part, to the Indian River Lagoon near Scaringe's hometown of Melbourne, Fla., he wrote.

The Florida native first dreamed of starting his own car company when he was in high school, Forbes reported.

He studied for his doctorate at MIT's Sloan Automotive Lab. While there, Forbes reported, he grew disillusioned with the idea of building another gas-powered car.

During a 2020 interview with the Lean Enterprise Institute, Scaringe said civilization's addiction to fossil fuels has reached at "an inflection point."

"The fossil fuels we use today were built up over the course of approximately 300 million years. We've used about half of that in 100 years. So, it's not a debate as to whether we have to switch off our dependence on fossil fuels," he said.

"The other wrinkle in this is the impacts of burning fossil fuels. The longer we wait to make a transition, the greater the damage to the planet and air quality. Essentially, what we're doing is taking carbon that was buried in the earth and moving it into the atmosphere. ... We see a huge urgency to solve that, and solving that is not an easy problem."

At Rivian, Scaringe said, "we're building something that is meaningful. We're making something that matters for our kids' kids' kids."

Forum List

Back